So anything I should know? I have the KeyOne, so it was some difference for me. I got the phone last night, spent hours to set it up made a gmail account for her. Her "current" device is the Q5!!!

One thing I found annoying is that the apps didn't update automatically and it didn't show in the list of apps, had to manually update it! I read more about it here. Good to know! Also its slow but I knew that...

I had the opportunity to have gotten the DTEK60 (used) as well for a good price but my mom wanted something simple, smaller and good battery. She's retried and doesn't need the faster processor. Also she has arthritis with her hands, every extra "weight" can be annoying, not to mention she's a small lady. She uses the phone mainly for text, calls and sometimes video chat and some odd games. But for video chat she prefers her laptop especially chatting with her grand-kids... I personally would have wanted the DTEK60 (or the Motion of course lol) but in the end I think she doesn't need it. Hopefully I'm right... :s

I was trying to remove/disable apps that she doesn't need at all. Maximize storage space and battery life.

Any tips and tricks with the DTEK50 I should know?
    01-11-18 10:26 AM
    So anything I should know? I have the KeyOne, so it was some difference for me. I got the phone last night, spent hours to set it up made a gmail account for her. Her "current" device is the Q5!!!

One thing I found annoying is that the apps didn't update automatically and it didn't show in the list of apps, had to manually update it! I read more about it here. Good to know! Also its slow but I knew that...

I had the opportunity to have gotten the DTEK60 (used) as well for a good price but my mom wanted something simple, smaller and good battery. She's retried and doesn't need the faster processor. Also she has arthritis with her hands, every extra "weight" can be annoying, not to mention she's a small lady. She uses the phone mainly for text, calls and sometimes video chat and some odd games. But for video chat she prefers her laptop especially chatting with her grand-kids... I personally would have wanted the DTEK60 (or the Motion of course lol) but in the end I think she doesn't need it. Hopefully I'm right... :s

I was trying to remove/disable apps that she doesn't need at all. Maximize storage space and battery life.

Any tips and tricks with the DTEK50 I should know?
    I own both DTEK and think 50 is a great device for the usage case you've outlined. Keep in mind, the longevity of the device will not be what you're accustomed to. Good for a year and that's probably it. Nice thing is, BBAndroid or just Android offer so many solutions, that your Mom should be just fine.
    01-11-18 10:43 AM
    Gonna need to put a leash on your mom from now on. She just joined the major's league and she ain't gonna wanna quit boii.
    Qorax likes this.
    01-11-18 12:15 PM
    For the timing being this perfect and price was right. At least now when she will learn how to use the Android OS, going forward any device will be a much easier transition.

I'm checking a bunch of videos to send to her so she can try to figure out the phone. She'll probably be constantly calling me... Asking me... where is this and where is that, how do you do this and that! Ahhhh
    01-11-18 01:11 PM
    Bro, you're not giving your mom enough credit...lmao.

After all, she had u lolz.
    01-11-18 01:47 PM
    I've had my 50 just short of 17 months now and it's as good as the day I received it. A great phone that she'll love. I miss my Q5 now..lol.
    01-11-18 02:54 PM
    My mom isn't really tech savvy (like most older parents around) though yes to her credit she tries . I used to always get her the latest BB for the longest time. Then from BB7 to BB10 that was a challenge for her.

Good to know some folks still appreciate the DTEK50.
    01-12-18 01:44 PM
    Update:
    My mom really likes the phone but when I use it, it seems very slow? Is it me? Just because I have a K1?
    03-14-18 10:32 AM