It was only $229 on Amazon yesterday, so I finally made up my mind and ordered one. I'm currently using a Q5 and waiting for the Mercury to be released, but I really need some Android apps for work, so I figured I will use the DTEK50 in the meantime.

Really looking forward to it, although a little nervous because of the comments I've read regarding the battery's life.

Posted via CB10
    big_time2 likes this.
    12-12-16 02:55 PM
    Battery life is better than q5 or q10. I would say not as good as z30.
    12-12-16 03:19 PM
    Good job ,nice phone, battery is good for me as I don't do any of the social network sites . Playing music on this sounds great from the built in speakers also works fine with a smartwatch.
    12-12-16 03:37 PM
    Battery is totally fine. But that depends also what apps you need for work.
    falbo, Ethynil and CerveloJohn like this.
    12-12-16 04:01 PM
    It was only $229 on Amazon yesterday, so I finally made up my mind and ordered one. I'm currently using a Q5 and waiting for the Mercury to be released, but I really need some Android apps for work, so I figured I will use the DTEK50 in the meantime.

Really looking forward to it, although a little nervous because of the comments I've read regarding the battery's life.

Posted via CB10
    Congrats! Just use dtek app to tell you what is abusing services. Its a great device and a cheap way of seeing if you like android!
    Ethynil and elfabio80 like this.
    12-12-16 07:40 PM
    We now have 2 DTEK50's here and are pleased with their performance. Battery consumption depends entirely on what apps are installed and to what degree they operate in the background.

You can monitor battery consumption and set permissions for each app (most of the time) and for the apps that cannot be customized toy our needs, replace them with apps that allow customized settings.
    12-13-16 10:02 AM
    I use apps minimally but I do a lot of email, bbm, etc. Basically communication type stuff. I can get a full day+ without issue.
    Ethynil likes this.
    12-13-16 04:46 PM
    I use apps minimally but I do a lot of email, bbm, etc. Basically communication type stuff. I can get a full day+ without issue.
    I'm the same.. As a business user nothing beats this phone. My main reason for keeping this phone is the size and the way it feels in my hand. Can't beat - bought and returned /sold dtek60, pixel, Sony Xperia X, Z5 and lg g5.

The hub and productivity tab ain't the Sam on any other android phone.

But I still want a nicer camera and a little better battery on a 5.2" BlackBerry but I doubt I'll ever get that!!
    12-13-16 07:18 PM
    After reading all of your comments, I'm pretty positive I made a good purchase. As long as the battery gets me through the day that should be enough.
    Guess I'll find out tomorrow once it gets here.

Posted via CB10
    Ethynil likes this.
    12-13-16 11:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's a great no-frills Android phone for BlackBerry users. Also, manage your expectations with the security updates, unless you enter the Beta program, expect 1-2 months delay.
    12-14-16 01:58 AM
    Yes
    12-14-16 07:31 AM
    I've had my DTEK50 for a few days now. Battery life turned out to be pretty good. The first cycle lasted about 44 hours with light use (a couple Outlook accounts set to push, some light browsing, Spotify and WhatsApp).
    However, I find the phone a little too thin and light for my taste. I can't get a good grip of it to type properly or even lift it up the desk.... I'm wondering if I should have bought the Priv instead.
    12-17-16 07:58 PM
    I've had my DTEK50 for a few days now. Battery life turned out to be pretty good. The first cycle lasted about 44 hours with light use (a couple Outlook accounts set to push, some light browsing, Spotify and WhatsApp).
    However, I find the phone a little too thin and light for my taste. I can't get a good grip of it to type properly or even lift it up the desk.... I'm wondering if I should have bought the Priv instead.
    I know what you mean, that's why even if I'm not a phone case kinda guy, I decided to get the BlackBerry hard shell. It adds not just the weight that I'm used to, but also an added grip. It also doesn't look much like there's a case on it. Check it out.
    Last edited by japsuki; 12-17-16 at 08:34 PM.
    thinkdan likes this.
    12-17-16 08:20 PM
    I find the phone a little too thin and light for my taste.
    I purchased a DTEK50 Hard Shell that clips to the back of the device that adds a bit of weight, some rigidity and increases the hand feel of the phone. This accessory may resolve your issue.
    thinkdan likes this.
    12-18-16 07:41 AM
    Thanks guys. I will definitely check that out.
    12-18-16 09:04 PM
    I had the same issue. I bought the BlackBerry soft shell case for the phone and it works perfect for me. Adds just enough weight, and has a nice feel. Definitely worth it for me!
    bh7171 likes this.
    01-02-17 07:51 PM
    I'm the same.. As a business user nothing beats this phone. My main reason for keeping this phone is the size and the way it feels in my hand. Can't beat - bought and returned /sold dtek60, pixel, Sony Xperia X, Z5 and lg g5.

The hub and productivity tab ain't the Sam on any other android phone.

But I still want a nicer camera and a little better battery on a 5.2" BlackBerry but I doubt I'll ever get that!!
    With TCL at the lead I believe it is very possible. I too am quite happy with this device. Two weeks from putting my main SIM from my Classic to this and it just gets better and more familiar. I would like to see some improvements in the calendar app and or integration with HUB. Android would be real wise to learn a thing or two from BlackBerry 10.
    mike kootnikoff likes this.
    01-02-17 10:50 PM
    Just put a case on it. Cheap fix.
    falbo likes this.
    01-10-17 11:04 PM
    I love my flip case. Idol 4 or dtek50 ones both work. Try one in a store if u can.
    falbo likes this.
    01-11-17 12:27 AM
    Customize your app permissions and you'll get even better battery performance, deny access to location for those apps that don't need it

Only negative with the DTEK50 is the lack of Android security patch updates appears that BlackBerry has stopped support the device
    01-11-17 05:45 AM
    Customize your app permissions and you'll get even better battery performance, deny access to location for those apps that don't need it

Only negative with the DTEK50 is the lack of Android security patch updates appears that BlackBerry has stopped support the device
    I'm looking to buy this device...so what do you mean by the fact that BlackBerry has stopped supporting the device?!

Respect My Autoritah!
    01-11-17 07:12 PM
    I'm looking to buy this device...so what do you mean by the fact that BlackBerry has stopped supporting the device?!

Respect My Autoritah!
    My Dtek50 has the December security patch.
    01-11-17 11:20 PM
    I purchased a DTEK50 Hard Shell that clips to the back of the device that adds a bit of weight, some rigidity and increases the hand feel of the phone. This accessory may resolve your issue.
    I would revise my opinion of the hard shell to recommend the Blackberry Hard Shell back to be avoided.

While it appeared to be rugged initially, the tight fit of the plastic cannot withstand the stress of the grip on the corners. Two corners spontaneously broke off after less than three months of light usage. I carry the phone in a pants pocket, with nothing else in the pocket.

I've replaced it with a Cover-On Explorer Case (originally designed for Idol4) that fits perfectly and offers much better overall protection. Made of silicone and polycarbonate, is less expensive than any BB case.

Can be purchased from the manufacturer or on Amazon for a measly $10.

I liked it so much that I bought a second one for my partner's DETEK50, that currently has a BB Smart Flip case. The BB Smart Flip case uses the same hard back that's sold seprately, so I expect that to break in about a month or so. Now I have a backup!
    01-12-17 08:58 AM
    My wife's smart flip case from BlackBerry also broke the tabs. I have the hard shell, soft shell and a silicone and polycarbonate case. My favorite, as of now, for comfort and size is the oem soft shell. Grippy, slim and so far well constructed. Like the dark smoke color so that I do not see yellowing typical of the clear cases.
    01-12-17 09:04 PM
    My wife went with a black StilGut that is excellent for those looking for a flip case and additional protection
    01-12-17 09:05 PM
28 12