08-15-17 05:07 PM
41 12
tools
    Ok so I'm at work today and I get the notification on my phone of an update. Great I said must be the July Security update. Hit download and everything went smoothly until half way through the installation it abruptly aborted.

"OTA aborted. Turn off your phone and file a bug report". Waaaaaat I said thinking this could be real trouble! I turned off the phone and turned it back on. Slowly rebooted and I checked and yes indeed it was the July Security update. Phone is slowly getting back to normal and I'm going to keep my eye on it. It should be okay now.

Just wanted to FYI this to everyone who haven't got the update yet. Be careful! Lol.

Has this happened to anyone yet?

Carrier : Rogers Ontario
    AAM770
    hemodad and big_time2 like this.
    07-24-17 06:26 PM
    It's happening to everyone.

Although if you reboot, it will finish installing just fine.

It seems scary, but it's completely harmless.
    Last edited by conite; 07-24-17 at 07:22 PM.
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-24-17 06:56 PM
    Mine did the same thing. Seems normal after the reboot. Up to July 5 now.
    07-24-17 07:14 PM
    Same thing happened to me today when I tried to download the update but fortunately the update got installed after rebooting. I hope it solves the Google issue that plagued me with notifications / access to the camera and microphone. It seems to me like BlackBerry had some security issues with the late June and July updates.
    07-24-17 07:34 PM
    It's happening to everyone.

Although if you reboot, it will finish installing just fine.

It seems scary, but it's completely harmless.
    Thanks Johnny for posting this and thanks conite for the reassurance. Just happened to me and I had about the same reaction as Johnny. Seems like things are working fine after reboot.
    07-24-17 08:12 PM
    mine did this also!
    07-24-17 08:15 PM
    I captured a log and opened a support ticket to submit. Won't help us now. But hopefully it helps to not happen again in the future
    07-24-17 10:44 PM
    I just got it too. Dtek50 / koodo/ canada
    07-24-17 11:31 PM
    guys is this update the first for the Dtek 50 or today it is the second July update like with priv??? I mean some days before early July i got updated in Priv and then again today does anyone have the same with Dtek 50?? Wanted to know if actually the release the updates for all devices simultaneously ?
    07-25-17 03:54 PM
    guys is this update the first for the Dtek 50 or today it is the second July update like with priv??? I mean some days before early July i got updated in Priv and then again today does anyone have the same with Dtek 50?? Wanted to know if actually the release the updates for all devices simultaneously ?
    DTEK50 had Jun 5 patch released Jul 7, and Jul 5 patch released Jul 24.

Priv had Jul 1 patch level released Jul 5, and Jul 5 patch level released Jul 21.
    07-25-17 05:16 PM
    Hahaha yes! Mine did the same thing. But after the manual reboot all is well and says July, 5th 2017 woohoo!
    07-25-17 08:48 PM
    I just got the JUNE update now. I guess it pays to be late in getting security updates hehe. Thanks for the heads up.
    07-26-17 12:37 AM
    Ok so I'm at work today and I get the notification on my phone of an update. Great I said must be the July Security update. Hit download and everything went smoothly until half way through the installation it abruptly aborted.

"OTA aborted. Turn off your phone and file a bug report". Waaaaaat I said thinking this could be real trouble! I turned off the phone and turned it back on. Slowly rebooted and I checked and yes indeed it was the July Security update. Phone is slowly getting back to normal and I'm going to keep my eye on it. It should be okay now.

Just wanted to FYI this to everyone who haven't got the update yet. Be careful! Lol.

Has this happened to anyone yet?

Carrier : Rogers Ontario
    AAM770
    I got a notification to install this (26MB) update this morning. The exact same thing happened to mine too, and now it's sitting at this recovery screen.

There is an option highlighted for the language, and it seems ready to do a recovery. So what do I do, just press and hold the power button to recycle? Sorry for the dumb question, I'm just not sure if it's going to emulate an 'enter' and trigger something in the menu.
    07-27-17 10:29 AM
    I got a notification to install this (26MB) update this morning. The exact same thing happened to mine too, and now it's sitting at this recovery screen.

There is an option highlighted for the language, and it seems ready to do a recovery. So what do I do, just press and hold the power button to recycle? Sorry for the dumb question, I'm just not sure if it's going to emulate an 'enter' and trigger something in the menu.
    Just hold down the power button until the phone begins to reboot.
    terminatorx likes this.
    07-27-17 10:30 AM
    Thanks conite! It's rebooted now and going through the "Android is upgrading / optimizing app x of xx" procedure.

Before I saw this thread I really thought my device was bricked. Then I realized I don't have any real backup. I have to research how this Google cloud backup works. The more we rely on these smartphones for day to day personal and work stuff, a sudden wipeout can really mess one up. I back up my laptop hard drive and make system images all the time, but it's funny that I've never given it much thought with a smartphone.
    07-27-17 10:36 AM
    Thanks conite! It's rebooted now and going through the "Android is upgrading / optimizing app x of xx" procedure.

Before I saw this thread I really thought my device was bricked. Then I realized I don't have any real backup. I have to research how this Google cloud backup works. The more we rely on these smartphones for day to day personal and work stuff, a sudden wipeout can really mess one up. I back up my laptop hard drive and make system images all the time, but it's funny that I've never given it much thought with a smartphone.
    I agree. I hope the Google backup is enough. I do back up my SD card for pix and docs to my computer.
    If it helps, I have both a Dtek60 and Dtek50. The 50 is on WIFI now, as I mainly use the 60. I recently checked the calendar on the 50, and the appointments I put on the 60 are now on my 50!!! So I know that works!

PS I haven't checked to see if the July update came in. Thanks, OP for the heads up on the scare!!

Razr>BB 9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>
    Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    07-29-17 11:17 PM
    Just did the July 5 update on my Dtek50. I'm so glad I read this thread first!! I would have panicked too when I saw that crazy page!! Instead, I rebooted the phone and all is well.
    Thanks, CrackBerry, and Conite, for saving me again!!

Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    07-30-17 08:19 AM
    I didn't receive the July update. Is that unusual?
    07-30-17 11:22 AM
    I didn't receive the July update. Is that unusual?
    Not really as I'm only getting the June update today. I left it for a couple of days thinking it was the July update that people were having the scare with.
    07-30-17 01:25 PM
    Not really as I'm only getting the June update today. I left it for a couple of days thinking it was the July update that people were having the scare with.
    It is the July update. I got June several weeks ago. July had the scary page come up. (This is the Dtek50, the Dtek60 just got June).

Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    07-30-17 03:59 PM
    It is the July update. I got June several weeks ago. July had the scary page come up. (This is the Dtek50, the Dtek60 just got June).

Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    My phone is the Dtek50!
    07-30-17 05:21 PM
    My phone is the Dtek50!
    You might get the July soon.
    07-30-17 05:39 PM
    I had this happen on my wife's 50 the other day. Rebooted and it was fine.
    08-02-17 05:15 AM
    That's OTA only thing, right? What about updating manually?
    08-02-17 10:03 AM
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this but my power button doesn't work and I just got this update so does anyone have any advice on what to do? I can't select the language because the button doesn't work.
    08-02-17 04:29 PM
41 12