Is Google play service and play store two different things? I can't find Google play service to delete.
    Yes, they are different. No, you don't delete it (just uninstall updates). Go to settings, apps, and select 3 dots to show system apps.
    krazyatom likes this.
    01-31-18 02:09 PM
    ...... when I try to do that, I get an error message that says, "Can't uninstall because this package is an active device administrator." Is there a step I'm missing somewhere to accomplish the update process?
    Please see this Blackberry KB article for detailed instructions
    01-31-18 02:29 PM
    I've got mine this morning. It had same problem like the one we got in December, saying "verification problem". Solution is also same as previous one, just uninstall updates of play services, and install updates, after what you can update play services again.
    Same here. I tried to follow the instructions they left to be able to download the security update patch and nothing has worked. Worse now my DTEK app shows that the apps in Google Play are no longer scanned even though I've turned Play Protect on back again..Uninstalling the updates to Google Play was the suggestion to follow in order to allow the Security Patch Update to install (?!)
    Attached Thumbnails January security patch-screenshot_20180201-212406.jpg  
    02-01-18 08:24 PM
    Here are more screenshots...
    Attached Thumbnails January security patch-screenshot_20180201-212414.jpg  
    02-01-18 08:25 PM
    And more...
    Attached Thumbnails January security patch-screenshot_20180201-211540.jpg  
    02-01-18 08:26 PM
    Other screenshot...
    Attached Thumbnails January security patch-screenshot_20180201-211555.jpg  
    02-01-18 08:27 PM
    Other screenshot...
    1. You can put multiple screenshots in 1 post.
    2. We don't need the whole screen. We have all seen it, we have all had it. Error Message is enough
    3. It's a Kb article website that's been posted, we can read it there
    4. Better screenshots would be of the settings you changed, what they currently are.
    02-01-18 08:31 PM
    1. You can put multiple screenshots in 1 post.
    2. We don't need the whole screen. We have all seen it, we have all had it. Error Message is enough
    3. It's a Kb article website that's been posted, we can read it there
    4. Better screenshots would be of the settings you changed, what they currently are.
    Actually I cannot put multiple screenshots in one posting. I tried several times, not only now but in the past and it doesn't work. If it did I wouldn't have posted several times with a single screenshot per posting. That is something you might also want to look into...

Sorry but the rest of the reply makes no sense..."It's a KB article...we can read it there..." huh?

And I didn't change any settings. As per the "fix it" suggestions from BlackBerry Mobile, you have to go to Google Play and tap "Uninstall Updates", uninstall those, then go back to trying to download the security update and install it.

I followed the instructions for the fix and and not only can I not download the security patch but my phone's security has been lessened now...

Sigh...BlackBerry and complications...LOL...Thank you for your prompt reply.
    Last edited by adonesc; 02-02-18 at 12:11 AM.
    02-01-18 10:10 PM
    Actually I cannot put multiple screenshots in one posting. I tried several times, not only now but in the past and it doesn't work. If it did I wouldn't have posted several times with a single screenshot per posting. That is something you might also want to look into...

Sorry but the rest of the reply makes no sense..."It's a KB article...we can read it there..." huh?

And I didn't change any settings. As per the "fix it" suggestions from BlackBerry Mobile, you have to go to Google Play and tap "Uninstall Updates", uninstall those, then go back to trying to download the security update and install it.

I followed the instructions for the fix and and not only can I not download the security patch but my phone's security has been lessened now...

Yeah...so much for receiving help...
    Kb = Knowledge Base. Knowledge base article. It's a website that has knowledgable articles to help with issues. In your update screen the link is there... to said Kb article. It was also posted a few posts back before yours.
    The article says to uninstall updates in settings -apps. Doesn't say in Google play. You go into android settings. You go to apps. You click the dots in top right. You view system settings. Scroll to "Google play services" and uninstall updates (do not disable either).
    You also need to check device administrators in Android settings and make sure "find my device" is unchecked. Then attempt the update again.
    adonesc likes this.
    02-01-18 10:17 PM

Yeah...so much for receiving help...
    Totally unrelated images but 2 in the same post. My R2-Echo and a beer cap
    adonesc likes this.
    02-01-18 10:19 PM
    Totally unrelated images but 2 in the same post. My R2-Echo and a beer caphttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7f6019c2c5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...768fbc9913.jpg
    Thanks. Unfortunately still doesn't seem to work for me. 👍✌
    Last edited by adonesc; 02-01-18 at 11:34 PM.
    02-01-18 11:24 PM
    Kb = Knowledge Base. Knowledge base article. It's a website that has knowledgable articles to help with issues. In your update screen the link is there... to said Kb article. It was also posted a few posts back before yours.
    The article says to uninstall updates in settings -apps. Doesn't say in Google play. You go into android settings. You go to apps. You click the dots in top right. You view system settings. Scroll to "Google play services" and uninstall updates (do not disable either).
    You also need to check device administrators in Android settings and make sure "find my device" is unchecked. Then attempt the update again.
    Thanks for your help. Did as instructed and it worked. The only problem, the DTEK app gives a (yellow) warning which shows that Google Play Store doesn't scan any of the apps on the phone...I turned Play Protect on as requested and it's still the same...
    dpw09 likes this.
    02-01-18 11:25 PM
    There...
    Attached Thumbnails January security patch-screenshot_20180202-003032.jpg  
    02-01-18 11:33 PM
    The instructions...
    Attached Thumbnails January security patch-screenshot_20180202-003041.jpg  
    02-01-18 11:35 PM
    The instructions...
    Now you need to go into play store and re-update google play services and play store itself if there is something. The downgrade is only temp for the purpose of getting the OS update. Then you need to put it back
    02-01-18 11:43 PM
    Now you need to go into play store and re-update google play services and play store itself if there is something. The downgrade is only temp for the purpose of getting the OS update. Then you need to put it back
    Did as you instructed. Excellent help. Thank you for your patience and instructions. 😁✌👍
    dpw09 likes this.
    02-02-18 12:10 AM
    Do I need to go back in and retick find my device again.
    02-02-18 07:49 AM
    Do I need to go back in and retick find my device again.
    You don't "have to" . It works whether it's ticked or not for location purpose. But if you ever want to remotely wipe it (if lost or stolen) using find my device.... I think this is where it requires the administration check-marked
    02-02-18 07:55 AM
    My Dtek50 is updating as I type this, (from my Galaxy Tab A that has updated OS 3 times from Android 5.0 to 7.0)
    02-02-18 09:38 AM
    My Dtek50 is updating as I type this, (from my Galaxy Tab A that has updated OS 3 times from Android 5.0 to 7.0)
    Ya many (inc. Myself) are bitter about the DTEKs being treated like the ugly duckling step child.
    Most devices in the android world get at least 1 OS upgrade in lifespan.
    When BlackBerry released Priv it followed this suit going from 5 to 6.
    When BBMobile released K1 and Motion they will/have get a OS upgrade too.

Unfortunately the DTEKs were launched by BlackBerry but transitioned to BBMobile for support. They don't really make money from them so they don't really want them but it was part of the deal. As mentioned, they are considered and treated like the ugly duckling step child. Only problem is it won't turn into a beautiful swan in the end. It just leads to bitter customers that got trapped in the bad situation.
    02-02-18 10:00 AM
    Had I paid full price for this phone I would be somewhat upset, but since I only paid $275CAN BNIB I really can't complain.
    02-02-18 10:26 AM
    Yes, they are different. No, you don't delete it (just uninstall updates). Go to settings, apps, and select 3 dots to show system apps.
    Thanks. Still in November update but I using priv/keyone so I am good.
    02-02-18 12:34 PM
    Got my January update yesterday. Installed this morning. Unlocked phone bought at Staples in Canada.
    02-03-18 12:23 PM
    I got the glitchy update, and it was the last straw with the phone. Great phone that helped carry the BlackBerry name forward, but the battery life was killing me. The bogus update was enough. I moved on to the new Motion. Loving it so far
    02-05-18 07:08 AM
    Got my January update yesterday. Installed this morning. Unlocked phone bought at Staples in Canada.
    Ditto. Been checking since December, but finally arrived when I checked today
    02-05-18 12:21 PM
75 123