With bbos and OS10 I never had uninvited ads on my screen. With this phone on Android every time I open Sky News app I get rolling ads, e.g. User, along the foot of the screen. On my wife's DTEK50 she frequently gets a full screen burst of a War Game ad. I have turned off Peeking on both phones. Why is this happening on the allegedly most secure phone system? Does it happen also on other systems? I detest it and it's putting us off blackberry

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-11-16 04:54 PM
    Those are particular apps at fault. Once the permission is granted to the app at installation, they can launch ads. I had a couple of those. A search showed they performed the same on other Android devices. That's a common problem with "free" Android apps. Uninstall the and move on, or pay for ad-free versions where available.
    10-11-16 04:59 PM
    In-app ads are simply the revenue model of the app developer. Sometimes you can pay to remove them.

As far as full screen ads, that can happen if you don't quit an app, and leave it running.

This is not an issue of security or privacy. For that you can monitor DTEK to see what's going on.
    Ethynil likes this.
    10-11-16 05:01 PM
    With bbos and OS10 I never had uninvited ads on my screen. With this phone on Android every time I open Sky News app I get rolling ads, e.g. User, along the foot of the screen. On my wife's DTEK50 she frequently gets a full screen burst of a War Game ad. I have turned off Peeking on both phones. Why is this happening on the allegedly most secure phone system? Does it happen also on other systems? I detest it and it's putting us off blackberry
    It happens on other Android and iOS devices too, as those apps probably make their living providing you "free" services in exchange for ad revenue.

The security is to protect your personal data from being pulled without your consent. However, if you gave consent by using those apps, then you did it as a compromise to your security. You hadn't faced this issue before, as BBOS and BB10 don't have those apps.

What do you think "peeking" does, by the way?
    10-11-16 05:05 PM
    This is why I don't mind at all to pay for a good app. Ads are ubiquitous today and it is my main mission to limit my exposure. Hard to do.
    Ethynil likes this.
    10-11-16 05:06 PM
    What Peeking does is not well explained in the Privacy and Security setting for each app so u assume it the app can access your personal flies if Peeking allowed. What is other's interpretation please? Never seen it before so I'm naturally suspicious. As i am with the whole Google /Android system and apps

10-11-16 05:15 PM
    Peeking has to do with the notification drop down and such ...nothing to do with personal data
    Ethynil likes this.
    10-11-16 05:22 PM

I didn't know that but probably those apps are to blame, not the OS itself.
    10-11-16 05:41 PM