I have two identically configured unlocked DTEK50's with identical SIM cards (each with its own number).

One DTEK50 (Phone A) does not ring, and immediately sends any incoming call to voicemail. The usual pop up indicating an incoming call appears for less than a second, so there is no time to accept the call. The phone makes outgoing calls normally and receives / sends texts and works with data. The only problem is incoming calls don't ring and go directly to voicemail.

The other DTEK50 (Phone B) operates normally.

I swapped the SIM cards and the same behavior occurs with Phone B's SIM card in Phone A, and does not ring, going directly to voicemail.....suggesting the problem is in the phone and not with the SIM or the carrier.

The SIM from Phone A that does not ring, operates normally and rings in the Phone B.

I've reviewed all the settings I could find, and all the settings I can find in both phones are identical.

The phone app is the default phone app that came with the DTEK50.

What am I missing and where should I be looking at?

Any help would be appreciated.
    06-05-19 03:09 PM
    What am I missing and where should I be looking at?
    If you've exhausted all the settings and options you should be looking at a factory reset.
    06-05-19 03:15 PM
    If you've exhausted all the settings and options you should be looking at a factory reset.
    I've never had to do that <sigh> How's it done?

Does a factory reset require reinstalling all the security updates as well as reinstalling and configuring the entire phone as if it just came out of the box?

Any problems with the security updates since the phone is no longer supported by BB?

Thanks for your help with this!
    06-05-19 03:24 PM
    You can try downloading a Google Phone .apk file that is modified for non Google phones and see if there is a difference. There are newer ones then this that I am posting, but it should work on your device. After you have installed it, you need to make sure you go into Android settings and make sure you select the new app as the new default phone app. I would then disable the stock phone app, but I'm not sure if that step is necessary. Let us know how it goes.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...-apk-download/
    06-05-19 03:28 PM
    Does a factory reset require reinstalling all the security updates as well as reinstalling and configuring the entire phone as if it just came out of the box?
    Security updates will remain installed. Your apps and app data will be removed. If you have a backup stored on Google, you will be asked if you wish to restore or start as new. It's optional, but keep in mind that a restore does NOT capture all of your data. It captures some settings, and effectively will restore the apps you had installed (but not all their data). If an app has it's own built-in backup feature, you should use that to save what data you can from it.

In order to access it, you just have to go to settings>security>factory reset.
    06-05-19 03:31 PM
    You can try downloading a Google Phone .apk file that is modified for non Google phones and see if there is a difference. ........ Let us know how it goes.[/url]
    Unfortunately the same behavior occurred using the downloaded Google Phone app....no incoming ring, immediately sent to voicemail..outgoing calls OK.

Maybe I should look at moving to a Key2 LE.... on sale at Staples this week
    06-05-19 06:26 PM
    Unfortunately the same behavior occurred using the downloaded Google Phone app....no incoming ring, immediately sent to voicemail..outgoing calls OK.

Maybe I should look at moving to a Key2 LE.... on sale at Staples this week
    Then the factory reset that Bla1ze recommended is what I would do at this point.
    06-05-19 06:33 PM
    Then the factory reset that Bla1ze recommended is what I would do at this point.
    Thanks for the input!
    06-05-19 06:35 PM
    you should be looking at a factory reset.
    When I complete the factory reset, how will it affect the encrypted SD card that contains fies, music etc? Will the file associations still be maintained, will the SD card be wiped clean and formatted or will I have to format the SD card and install the lost files and music from backups?

Remind me what is the app / utility that encrypted the SD card when I first installed it when the DTEK 50 was new?

Thanks!
    06-06-19 03:43 PM
    When I complete the factory reset, how will it affect the encrypted SD card that contains fies, music etc?
    You should unencrypt the card to be safe.

Will the file associations still be maintained
    Varies on the apps associated. Some may come back with the Google settings backup portion. I wouldn't exactly rely on that though.

will the SD card be wiped clean and formatted
    Only if you want it to be. When you look at the reset option, there's a button there to include the SD card.

will I have to format the SD card and install the lost files and music from backups?
    Did you change how the SD card was used? Eg: Internal storage / adoptable storage? - https://www.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage

Remind me what is the app / utility that encrypted the SD card when I first installed it when the DTEK 50 was new?
    No idea. If I recall correctly, it's just part of the settings>storage operation. Been a while since I even looked at a DTEK50.
    06-06-19 04:51 PM
    You should unencrypt the card to be safe.
    Would you explain how I do that, please?

Did you change how the SD card was used? Eg: Internal storage / adoptable storage? - https://www.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage
    Can't recall, so to be safe, perhaps I should reset everything, including the SD Card...would you agree?

....formatting the SD Card.....No idea. If I recall correctly, it's just part of the settings>storage operation. Been a while since I even looked at a DTEK50.
    Just located it..it's called MicrosoftexFAT for BlackBerry

I picked up a Key2 LE today, in case this reset operation fails, so I can have a backup. Hope I made a good choice. If the reset succeeds, I may give the DTEK to my son, and use the Key2LE

As always, I appreciate your help!
    06-06-19 07:01 PM
    Would you explain how I do that, please?
    If you never encrypted it manually, there's no need to unencrypt it. I figured you were asking because you had.

Can't recall, so to be safe, perhaps I should reset everything, including the SD Card...would you agree?
    If you don't recall, you probably didn't. You can just check the status of it by going to settings>storage or similar and it will tell you if it's internal along with a warning about removing it.

Just located it..it's called MicrosoftexFAT for BlackBerry
    That didn't encrypt it, it just formatted it to the proper file structure.

Personally, I'd just check your SD card and make sure it's not formatted as internal. If it's not, you should be fine to just reset the device itself and leave the SD card alone.
    06-06-19 07:07 PM
    If you never encrypted it manually, there's no need to unencrypt it.......You can just check the status of it by going to settings>storage or similar and it will tell you if it's internal along with a warning about removing it......
    No warning indicated in Settings | Storage...so I'm good to go.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Bla1ze.
    06-06-19 07:18 PM
    No warning indicated in Settings | Storage...so I'm good to go.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Bla1ze.
    Glad to help!
    06-06-19 07:20 PM
    Glad to help!
    The factory reset resulted in the incoming call problem, where calls were automatically being sent to voicemail, was resolved.

However, the factory reset did not allow for an option to include / exclude the SD card, and after the reset, the SD card was not recognized. The only option was to reformat the SD card and reconfigure the phone from scratch.

In my case, it's not a major problem, because the SD card held music that can is saved on my PC and will be transferred later. Other data was backed up or stored on the cloud, so this was not catastrophic.

I consider the exercise to have been a success, overall.
    06-07-19 08:26 AM
    Excellent!
    06-07-19 10:23 AM
    The factory reset resulted in the incoming call problem, where calls were automatically being sent to voicemail, was resolved.

Thanks for letting us know the end result. The most important thing is that you have a phone that can be used as it's supposed to be again. Excellent.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-19 12:02 PM
    Thanks for letting us know the end result. The most important thing is that you have a phone that can be used as it's supposed to be again. Excellent.

Posted via CB10
    I appreciate your interest and for following up. Yes, having the phone properly operating is a relief....wish I knew what caused the abnormality..but that will probably remain one of the mysteries of the century...
    06-07-19 12:08 PM