The fact that Blackberry is launching a power bank (which at $60 is a rip off) at the same time as this phone screams to me that the battery is going to be a concern on the DTEK50. They did the same thing with the Z10 and we all know how that battery life was...
    07-26-16 07:25 PM
    Am positive about the battery life: there won't be much differences from the previous devices.

Posted via CB10
    kitmo likes this.
    07-26-16 07:30 PM
    We really wont know till this phone hits the street...
    07-26-16 07:32 PM
    Ya.. Don't expect more than a day

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    07-26-16 07:32 PM
    I'm never happy about trading battery life for a thinner profile. I couldn't stand the battery life of my Z10 and ended up buying a Passport when it first came out at full price, even though I was only halfway through a three year contract. The freedom of not having to worry about having enough battery to make it through the day was worth every cent.
    07-26-16 07:53 PM
    Am positive about the battery life: there won't be much differences from the previous devices.

Posted via CB10
    So like the Priv you think it will be poor?
    07-26-16 09:09 PM
    Think slow performance will be the bigger issue.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-26-16 09:17 PM
    I don't mind charging at night, but the device HAS to get me through the day... anxious to hear how it holds up in real life!
    07-26-16 09:39 PM
    I read the specs and saw 1250 mAh.... concern number one.
    The fact that they are bundling a power bank.... concern number two.

Android is already a battery draining OS, I'm sure the complaints will be rolling it when the device gets into users hands.
    07-26-16 09:39 PM
    I read the specs and saw 1250 mAh.... concern number one.
    The fact that they are bundling a power bank.... concern number two.

Android is already a battery draining OS, I'm sure the complaints will be rolling it when the device gets into users hands.
    I think it is 2610 mAh for DTEK50. Not too shabby but not impressive either. About on par with Nexus 5X at 2700 mAh.
    07-26-16 09:48 PM
    You can expect around 4 hours screen time with this device since the chipset and the screen are 1080p.

With marshmallow I think 4 hours isn't bad.
    07-27-16 02:55 AM
    You can expect around 4 hours screen time with this device since the chipset and the screen are 1080p.

With marshmallow I think 4 hours isn't bad.
    That's a little disappointing. I can get almost twice that on my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 03:24 AM
    That's a little disappointing. I can get almost twice that on my Z30.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair, the Z30 purposely has a dim, washed out screen to allow for the battery to last.
    07-27-16 04:45 AM
    To be fair, the Z30 purposely has a dim, washed out screen to allow for the battery to last.
    720p as well....
    07-27-16 05:13 AM
    I'm a fairly light user, so I shouldn't have any issues with the DTEK50. Still unsure if I will splurge on it. It's been nice with my Z30 I can start the day at 50% and not worry about making it home before I need to charge it.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 11:30 PM
    Apple started this whole "thin as it can get". Irritating. I'd trade thickness for double battery anyway and it even irritates me when I can't get some giant add on battery like a zero lemon that turns my phone into a brick but makes it last for days.

But I think the power bank is a good sign of a bad sign that battery life will be a little on the low side.

Honestly, if you get rid of or wall off almost all Google services, even mediocre android phones will last a long time.

Maybe BlackBerry should post an article about how to get rid of Google services while still being able to get the apps. Actually, DTEK (the app) combined with some careful pruning of Google Apps and services makes my Priv last a very long time indeed. I posted somewhere that a best buy app noted my location (set to GPS only) 700 times in seven days, and I never used it. ... that's got to drain a battery. Same for several other apps I never even opened.

I'm a Google Apps for work subscriber for several years. When I got rid of Gmail and Google Calendar (using the hub exclusively) battery life shot up.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-28-16 11:39 PM
    It's a promotion dude. You're thinking too much. If they launch with a free glass protector you'll be worried the screen is too brittle and easily scratched.

This describe most of the people on this forum:
    zephyr613, bh7171 and fanisk like this.
    07-29-16 06:36 AM
    You are probably right. I hope so. I'm pretty easy to please, though, and I do hope BlackBerry succeeds because I personally love both their hardware and software.

Yesterday when I posted that, my electricity had been out for hours (eight hours) due to a storm, and I was carrying around an external battery that Motorola sent with a Moto X for free. So maybe batteries were too much on my mind.

Last edited by CharlieV; 07-29-16 at 07:50 AM.
    07-29-16 07:25 AM
    I squeezed out an extra few hours from my former phone, an HTC One M7, just by disabling syncing from email accounts, force stopping HTC's blinkfeed (built in newsfeed app into their launcher), diabling some background spying services, disabling notifications from apps, and some other minor tweaks. I get all these things are a matter of convenience, but I chose battery life over convenience. Wasn't too bad, but I would go to bed at the end of the day (11:30pm) with about 20% left as opposed to running out of battery at 8:30-9pm.

My passport spoils me though, I still plug in at the end of the night, but I have like 35-45% on average only If I'm on the go the following day, but if I don't have anything lined up, I'll let it go into the next day no problem.

That is why I don't think I'll go with DTEK50, because I'm so used to the battery life of passport. My issue is, Some of the android apps I require for work have been updated and will no longer run on the 4.4 runtime, so now I have to bring my tablet with me, so I'm trying to hold out for Argon in hopes it would be better for me.
    07-29-16 07:46 AM
    I squeezed out an extra few hours from my former phone, an HTC One M7, just by disabling syncing from email accounts, force stopping HTC's blinkfeed (built in newsfeed app into their launcher), diabling some background spying services, disabling notifications from apps, and some other minor tweaks. I get all these things are a matter of convenience, but I chose battery life over convenience. Wasn't too bad, but I would go to bed at the end of the day (11:30pm) with about 20% left as opposed to running out of battery at 8:30-9pm.

My passport spoils me though, I still pug in at the end of the night, but I have like 35-45% on average...If I'm on the go the following day, then I'll charge it, but if I don't have anything lined up, I'll let it go into the next day no problem.

That is why I don't think I'll go with DTEK50, because I'm so used to the battery life of passport. My issue is, Some of the android apps I require for work have been updated and will no longer run on the 4.4 runtime, so now I have to bring my tablet with me, so I'm trying to hold out for Argon in hopes it would be better for me.
    BB10 actually has a 4.3 Runtime, not 4.4.

My TouchPad is running CM11.2 with 4.4 and most apps works fine, it's not so much the version but apps requiring Play Services.
    07-29-16 07:49 AM

My passport spoils me though, I still plug in at the end of the night, but I have like 35-45% on average only If I'm on the go the following day, but if I don't have anything lined up, I'll let it go into the next day no problem.

That was my issue as well. I had to have a billing app and a sip phone app and finding old versions for my Passport got to be unwieldy, plus the Google workaround was wonky and sapped my battery. I had to have two phone at all times, which was a needless expense but, more, a pain to
    Keep everything charged and carried.

The Android BlackBerry phones are a real godsend for me. I hope they do well. After several years with two phones and two weeks with the Priv, I happily canceled the second line.

BTW a Passport does very nicely for everything but calling with no Sim and good WiFi.

07-29-16 07:54 AM
    An IPS screen consumes FAR less power under bright conditions than OLED does, especially under Android where a "dark" theme is typically not available (thank Google for that.)

OLED wins with a screen containing few lit pixels, but that's not the world that Android lives in.
    07-29-16 08:12 AM
    BB10 actually has a 4.3 Runtime, not 4.4.
    My bad
    07-29-16 08:55 AM