Amazon sells phones in Taiwan? I'm in Brazil and they sell books here only (which is great anyway. No complaining about it). It would be awesome if they could bring it because BlackBerry doesn't deliver here and probably never will.

Posted via CB10
    I read that Amazon China delivers to Taiwan, I'm not sure where you need to order to get it in Brazil. I heard Brazil has extremely high import taxes so it may be easier for have someone bring you one.
    08-09-16 10:57 AM
    I'm glad Hub is now available on Google Play Store. This is a good start (though I'd have gone for a one-off fee rather than a monthly subscription)
    The monthly subscription is very smart compared to one-off pricing. Ongoing revenue gives you stability, one-off pricing gives you a sale.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-16 07:36 AM
    I don't think anyone is saying its bad hardware, just that its not Blackberry's hardware so you don't really know what you are getting as far as quality.
    Define "BlackBerry hardware" please.. BlackBerry and all the other brands quit manufacturing directly the phones several years ago..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-05-16 07:50 AM
    Define "BlackBerry hardware" please.. BlackBerry and all the other brands quit manufacturing directly the phones several years ago..

Meaning that the phone was already built as another device and Blackberry rebranded it.
    09-05-16 08:14 AM
    The classic. I wonder how that phone sold. It was never for me. Maybe back in 2008

09-05-16 09:05 AM
    Meaning that the phone was already built as another device and Blackberry rebranded it.
    That's not accurate. The phones used for the DTEK50 were certainly NOT pre-built and rebranded.

Rebranding means putting a different badge on an existing product. That's not what Blackberry has done.

The phone was already engineered with a supply chain and manufacturing line set up. Blackberry adapted the existing design, making a number of specified changes, including injection of security hardware required for Root of Trust, a different kernel, etc. Then new production runs were executed to build Blackberry's phone.

The resulting DTEK50 is similar to, but not the same, as the phone on which it was based.

So, while it's certainly true that BlackBerry is no longer designing and engineering their own phones, it is equally untrue that they are simply rebranding phones. There are significant value-adds in the DTEK50, whether you care about them or not.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-05-16 09:15 AM
    That's not accurate.

Rebranding means putting a different badge on an existing product. That's not at all what Blackberry has done.

The phone was already engineered with a supply chain and manufacturing line set up. Blackberry adapted the existing design, making a number of specified changes, including injection of security hardware required for Root of Trust, a different kernel, etc.

The resulting DTEK50 is similar to, but not the same, as the phone on which it was based.

So, while it's certainly true that BlackBerry is no longer designing and engineering their own phones, it is equally untrue that they are simply rebranding phones. There are significant value-adds in the DTEK50, whether you care about them or not.

Posted via CB10
    That's also not accurate. The root of trust was already built into Qualcomm's processors, it just wasn't being utilized as most Android vendors don't use it. Qualcomm has had that for years and it isn't new.

Anyway that's besides the point. From a hardware standpoint (what you physically hold in your hand), it's a rebranded idol 4.
    09-05-16 09:20 AM
    It's an Idol 4 whether you like it or not.
    09-05-16 10:26 AM
    That's also not accurate. The root of trust was already built into Qualcomm's processors, it just wasn't being utilized as most Android vendors don't use it. Qualcomm has had that for years and it isn't new.

Anyway that's besides the point. From a hardware standpoint (what you physically hold in your hand), it's a rebranded idol 4.
    Oh, I see. You're just using words anyway you want and defining them as you go.

You originally said that BlackBerry simply put their badge on phones that were already built. But you can't implement Hardware Root of Trust if you do that, as phones have to be tracked through the manufacturing process. If what you were saying was true, you could spoof a DTEK50 with an Idol 4 on a Blackberry network.

But that's not possible, as Blackberry commissioned complete separate manufacturing runs for the DTEK50.

It's fine to say that the DTEK50 uses the same hardware as the IDOL 4. That's a fact. But that's not what "rebranding" means.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 08:45 AM
59 123