I'm liking the phone more every day. So many ways to customize everything to fit me perfectly. Still looking for the best program for videos and pic viewing and all that, especially the same way that BB10 used to organize things, but I think I'll figure it out eventually.
    11-30-16 09:08 AM
    Have you tried the VLC player for video? I'm liking it on my Android.
    11-30-16 09:31 AM
    I'm liking that Settings is so much more detailed and fully featured than BB10. For example Battery settings tells you exactly what is draining your battery and by how much. Good bye Facebook app. The mobile web version meets my needs just fine.
    11-30-16 10:13 AM
    I'm liking the phone more every day. So many ways to customize everything to fit me perfectly. Still looking for the best program for videos and pic viewing and all that, especially the same way that BB10 used to organize things, but I think I'll figure it out eventually.
    For videos, try MX Player. It's highly recommended by a lot of Android users. Just an hour ago, I found out that a recent update on licensing made it have codec issues with AC3, dolby audio, BUT it can easily be fixed by downloading a codec zip file.
    11-30-16 10:48 AM
    Aren't all DTEK50s factory unlocked? Even those bought from carriers (at least in Canada) ?
    11-30-16 11:09 AM
    Aren't all DTEK50s factory unlocked? Even those bought from carriers (at least in Canada) ?
    I'm not sure.

My friend on Telus got his last DTEK50 monthly update more than two weeks after the rest of us.
    11-30-16 11:14 AM
    I'm not sure.

My friend on Telus got his last DTEK50 monthly update more than two weeks after the rest of us.
    That would be the October O5 update. I'm on Telus and still haven't seen the November update on my DTEK50.
    11-30-16 12:06 PM
    There are 3 reasons why i didn't get the DTEK50. Some of theses may not matter to people but to me it's somewhat important.

1) The weight..

2) The BlackBerry Name..

3) The battery size...

Otherwise, i would be very happy with the Performance, Screen, Camera, Storage and all the other things.
    I just got mine and first day so can't really review it, but I find these reasons to be more pros then cons.

I'm giving it a shot. I got it for $230 at B&H in NYC so it's pretty cheap. I prefer the light/smaller size. I already returned both the Dtek60 and Priv earlier because of this reason. It came with some super backup battery that you can carry with you if you're going somewhere with a bag/backpack, but yeah you can always have a better battery life, Android seems to be a battery life killer that's the problem.

The BlackBerry logo I think is cool and unique to display, no shame here. The bad is the phone is actually a clone of another phone (so not really original like previous models). Camera isn't the best. The Hub, BBM, and most of the security features, are available as software to use on other devices. The one thing that stands out is the utility button to assign something to. The sound is really nice actually, but wish screen was AMOLED.

The CNET guy review. He likes the physical keyboard and that's it, so if you read his other review he owned a Priv with no regrets (which I returned and didn't like at all, so to each his own). He only sees value of BlackBerry for pkb, otherwise all specs better with other phones for price (he says).

Forced into getting a new phone and this has been a long twisting journey and see how it goes. I've been using an iPhone past month (first time) and checked out all the other phones in the store available. The ones that stood out was a Sony Titan (reminded me of the Z30 but was priced at $800!), and finally, and this would be an option for me if Dtek50 disappoints, is the Samsung Galaxy 7s -they have made great strides and the phone feels right. My concern with those phones is that actual phone quality (I tried the Edge 6s and it was dropping calls contstantly) and horrible battery life (worse then the Dtek). So with Samsung if you want to talk to anyone, could be a problem, otherwise GREAT CAMERA and DESIGN.

Phone isn't completely set up, once get it working and finish with a proper case will see.

What did you get instead?
    11-30-16 12:21 PM
    I just got mine and first day so can't really review it, but I find these reasons to be more pros then cons.

I'm giving it a shot. I got it for $230 at B&H in NYC so it's pretty cheap. I prefer the light/smaller size. I already returned both the Dtek60 and Priv earlier because of this reason. It came with some super backup battery that you can carry with you if you're going somewhere with a bag/backpack, but yeah you can always have a better battery life, Android seems to be a battery life killer that's the problem.

The BlackBerry logo I think is cool and unique to display, no shame here. The bad is the phone is actually a clone of another phone (so not really original like previous models). Camera isn't the best. The Hub, BBM, and most of the security features, are available as software to use on other devices. The one thing that stands out is the utility button to assign something to. The sound is really nice actually, but wish screen was AMOLED.

The CNET guy review. He likes the physical keyboard and that's it, so if you read his other review he owned a Priv with no regrets (which I returned and didn't like at all, so to each his own). He only sees value of BlackBerry for pkb, otherwise all specs better with other phones for price (he says).

Forced into getting a new phone and this has been a long twisting journey and see how it goes. I've been using an iPhone past month (first time) and checked out all the other phones in the store available. The ones that stood out was a Sony Titan (reminded me of the Z30 but was priced at $800!), and finally, and this would be an option for me if Dtek50 disappoints, is the Samsung Galaxy 7s -they have made great strides and the phone feels right. My concern with those phones is that actual phone quality (I tried the Edge 6s and it was dropping calls contstantly) and horrible battery life (worse then the Dtek). So with Samsung if you want to talk to anyone, could be a problem, otherwise GREAT CAMERA and DESIGN.

Phone isn't completely set up, once get it working and finish with a proper case will see.

What did you get instead?
    I like the 50 camera. Better than my Z30 camera by far. As you said to each his own
    12-03-16 03:10 PM
34 12