I attempted to follow the 'Workaround' offered in https://www.blackberrymobile.com/OTAfix/ - Step 5 "Select Uninstall updates" actually took me into further screens; when I tap on 'Uninstall updates', the pop-up comes on saying "All updates to this Android system app will be uninstalled. [CANCEL] or [OK]". When I tap on [OK] the next message is from Google Play services saying "Do you want to replace this app with the factory version? [CANCEL] or [OK]". When I tap on [OK] the next message is from Google Play services saying "Can't uninstall because this package is an active device administrator" and there is a shaded area that reads 'MANAGE DEVICE ADMINISTRATORS'. When I tap on that shaded area, the next screen is from the Device administration settings; is shows only two personal items: "Find My Device" which is already ticked, and underneath there is the "Blackberry Launcher" which is not ticked. The proposed Workaround by Blackberry -after the Note- says in step 2 to 'De-select' the Find My Device and assumes the next step (step 3) is to "select Deactivate", BUT when I try to 'De-select' the Find My Device the screen goes dark and a message appears saying "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped. [OK]"... There is no other option but to tap on [OK] which brings the next screen back to step 4 of the initial 6 steps proposed in the Workaround (i.e., back to the screen showing the Google Play services App info with the three dots in the upper right corner where you ask us to tap on 'Uninstall updates'.). As you can appreciate, a vicious circle. I attempted clearing the cache memory, clear data and Force stop of the Settings App followed by a power off of the device and power on again... For a brief moment I thought it had worked because the little icon with the exclamation mark in the upper left corner of the screen announcing that the system update couldn't install was not showing anymore, but the moment I went to Settings and tapped on About phone and tapped on System update to search for the update, I was back in square one. I hope this was clear and detailed enough. Can anyone help me here?... It's been about 3 weeks or so since I first got the notification for the system update in my DTEK50.
    02-17-18 01:22 AM
    I attempted to follow the 'Workaround' offered in https://www.blackberrymobile.com/OTAfix/ - Step 5 "Select Uninstall updates" actually took me into further screens; when I tap on 'Uninstall updates', the pop-up comes on saying "All updates to this Android system app will be uninstalled. [CANCEL] or [OK]". When I tap on [OK] the next message is from Google Play services saying "Do you want to replace this app with the factory version? [CANCEL] or [OK]". When I tap on [OK] the next message is from Google Play services saying "Can't uninstall because this package is an active device administrator" and there is a shaded area that reads 'MANAGE DEVICE ADMINISTRATORS'. When I tap on that shaded area, the next screen is from the Device administration settings; is shows only two personal items: "Find My Device" which is already ticked, and underneath there is the "Blackberry Launcher" which is not ticked. The proposed Workaround by Blackberry -after the Note- says in step 2 to 'De-select' the Find My Device and assumes the next step (step 3) is to "select Deactivate", BUT when I try to 'De-select' the Find My Device the screen goes dark and a message appears saying "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped. [OK]"... There is no other option but to tap on [OK] which brings the next screen back to step 4 of the initial 6 steps proposed in the Workaround (i.e., back to the screen showing the Google Play services App info with the three dots in the upper right corner where you ask us to tap on 'Uninstall updates'.). As you can appreciate, a vicious circle. I attempted clearing the cache memory, clear data and Force stop of the Settings App followed by a power off of the device and power on again... For a brief moment I thought it had worked because the little icon with the exclamation mark in the upper left corner of the screen announcing that the system update couldn't install was not showing anymore, but the moment I went to Settings and tapped on About phone and tapped on System update to search for the update, I was back in square one. I hope this was clear and detailed enough. Can anyone help me here?... It's been about 3 weeks or so since I first got the notification for the system update in my DTEK50.
    What an incredibly long message! Look on the other thread. I can't help more than that.
    02-17-18 11:14 AM
    Hello Crackberry community... I see many owners of a DTEK50 in various parts of the world were able to install the January Android System update without problem. I also read the concerns of others that like me encountered difficulty and don't know what to do or hope for. Will a future or upcoming update take over and override the problematic January update?... The OTAfix takes us into a vicious circle and is not useful. Any input or comments welcome.
    02-17-18 10:28 PM
    The reason why the February secupdate installed fine is because we didn't have to do the work around like in December and January. My only thought on your situation is somehow you went through the steps incorrectly and didn't get the update installed. I've told other people that if you follow the steps in that update precisely then the update would install properly. Yes you do need to look on other threads for possible solutions. Good luck.
    02-18-18 12:34 AM

The reason why the February secupdate installed fine is because we didn't have to do the work around like in December. My only thought on your situation is somehow you went through the steps incorrectly and didn't get the update installed. I've told other people that if you follow the steps in that update precisely then the update would install properly. Yes you do need to look on other threads for possible solutions. Good luck.
    02-18-18 12:39 AM
    Disregard the above post. My mistake.
    02-18-18 12:45 AM
    I don't know the answer because I haven't done my update yet. Has trying the update effected how your phone works, or is everything still working as normal? let me know if you manage to do it.
    02-18-18 09:57 AM
    I don't know the answer because I haven't done my update yet. Has trying the update effected how your phone works, or is everything still working as normal? let me know if you manage to do it.
    02-18-18 09:58 AM
    I attempted to follow the 'Workaround' offered in https://www.blackberrymobile.com/OTAfix/ - Step 5 "Select Uninstall updates" actually took me into further screens; when I tap on 'Uninstall updates', the pop-up comes on saying "All updates to this Android system app will be uninstalled. [CANCEL] or [OK]". When I tap on [OK] the next message is from Google Play services saying "Do you want to replace this app with the factory version? [CANCEL] or [OK]". When I tap on [OK] the next message is from Google Play services saying "Can't uninstall because this package is an active device administrator" and there is a shaded area that reads 'MANAGE DEVICE ADMINISTRATORS'. When I tap on that shaded area, the next screen is from the Device administration settings; is shows only two personal items: "Find My Device" which is already ticked, and underneath there is the "Blackberry Launcher" which is not ticked. The proposed Workaround by Blackberry -after the Note- says in step 2 to 'De-select' the Find My Device and assumes the next step (step 3) is to "select Deactivate", BUT when I try to 'De-select' the Find My Device the screen goes dark and a message appears saying "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped. [OK]"
    You will need to have at least one item selected in "Device Administrators".
    Add the BlackBerry Launcher and save that setting before trying the workaround.
    mrsimon likes this.
    02-18-18 05:13 PM
    Tried this and no success = "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped"
    02-19-18 02:57 PM
    Battery was draining a little faster after the update but I don't think it was the secupdate that did it. After updating some apps post secupdate I think the battery is back to normal.
    02-19-18 08:13 PM
    I guess we should all move on to the Motion or KEYone .
    02-19-18 10:19 PM
    Tried this and no success = "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped"
    Try going to settings. Apps. "Find my device" . Force stop. Click storage. Clear data. Uninstall. Reboot. Then try the previous workaround.
    Once done the update, reinstall find my device.
    02-20-18 07:00 PM
    How can I do that when I click on "Find my device" and get "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."?
    02-20-18 08:10 PM
    I have a BlackBerry Priv and this was the only thread in Google I could find that came close to the problem I was having installing the latest OS update which made it to my phone about April 2018. Every time I tried Blackberry's instructions in the article "Unable to install System Update on BlackBerry powered by Android Smartphone" to disable “Find my Device” as an Admin I received an error message stating “Unfortunately Settings has stopped”. I tried uninstalling “Find my Device”, but "Find my Device" still showed up as an admin in Google Play Services, uninstall. So I noticed the common thing was DTEK. This is what worked for me:

DTEK had a lock on location services which Find my Device was using, so I went into
    Settings => Apps => DTEK => Permissions and turned off permissions for location services. To do that you have to follow their instructions to turn off overlays. Once DTEK location services are disabled go back to Google Play Services and do the uninstall updates again.

This worked for me when nothing else did. Hope it helps someone else!
    04-09-18 12:30 PM
    @Jotae
    Have you been able to update via this workaround? I'm still stuck on the November patch with a dtek50.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    04-29-18 07:04 AM
    What an incredibly long message! Look on the other thread. I can't help more than that.
    05-09-18 11:13 AM
    Thank you so much it worked for my Dtek50! You are a clever star
    05-09-18 11:58 AM
    I have the same problem tried the workaround - no luck (South Africa)
    05-14-18 06:50 AM
    I have a BlackBerry Priv and this was the only thread in Google I could find that came close to the problem I was having installing the latest OS update which made it to my phone about April 2018. Every time I tried Blackberry's instructions in the article "Unable to install System Update on BlackBerry powered by Android Smartphone" to disable “Find my Device” as an Admin I received an error message stating “Unfortunately Settings has stopped”. I tried uninstalling “Find my Device”, but "Find my Device" still showed up as an admin in Google Play Services, uninstall. So I noticed the common thing was DTEK. This is what worked for me:

DTEK had a lock on location services which Find my Device was using, so I went into
    Settings => Apps => DTEK => Permissions and turned off permissions for location services. To do that you have to follow their instructions to turn off overlays. Once DTEK location services are disabled go back to Google Play Services and do the uninstall updates again.

This worked for me when nothing else did. Hope it helps someone else!
    whe i deselect find my device = unfortunately settings has stopped
    05-14-18 06:57 AM
    How can I do that when I click on "Find my device" and get "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."?
    I have the same problem
    05-14-18 07:06 AM
    I have the same problem
    Go to settings, apps, tap 3 dots and select "reset app preferences". Then uncheck Find my Device.
    05-14-18 07:39 AM
    Thank you - It worked, all settled and working
    Much Appreciated
    05-14-18 01:48 PM
    I have a Priv and was having trouble with the update too. I got all the way to the part where you uncheck administration for "find my device" but got stopped because the deactivate button would not work. Turns out had to temporarily turn off the overlays from the Setting>apps> route. Once overlays are off i could deactivate find my device and finish the uninstall updates for play services
    06-21-18 12:38 AM
    conite's solution of resetting app preferences worked for me. I was then able to uncheck Find my Device in the system administrators menu without the Settings app crashing
    06-21-18 11:52 AM
26 12