So I didn't read the whole thread but did it evolve to say that BlackBerry Is being acquired by Nokia?
    05-21-16 11:28 PM
    So I didn't read the whole thread but did it evolve to say that BlackBerry Is being acquired by Nokia?
    No
    anon(9721458) likes this.
    05-22-16 09:28 AM
    No
    Sad...blackberry and nokia together would be a dream partnership!!

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    05-22-16 10:05 AM
    Collaboration is the way forward for BB and there's nothing new about it. Both for software and hardware.
    05-22-16 10:34 AM
    All phones supporting fingerprint scanner support to disable it and use passcode instead.
    Yah, I know that's currently the case since most of my friends have disabled it because they've found it's actually slower and less reliable than simply entering the code. I just hope it stays an option and the big corporations don't get it in their minds to force everyone to use it so they can also collect biometric data, lol.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    anon(9721458) and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-22-16 11:43 AM
    Stop with this "fingerprint scanner"-crap. I would never trust it more than a simple, changeable code.
    Hackers Say They Can Copy Your Fingerprint From Just a Photograph
    05-22-16 11:50 AM
    Stop with this "fingerprint scanner"-crap. I would never trust it more than a simple, changeable code.
    Hackers Say They Can Copy Your Fingerprint From Just a Photograph
    If it's not set up, that will never be a problem.
    anon(9721458) likes this.
    05-22-16 01:55 PM
    If it's not set up, that will never be a problem.
    True. I would never set it up. Prefer the good old "Picture Password"

The BlackBerry "Rome" is supposed to have one. As one of its 'unique' features.

A Berry A Day Keeps The Apple Away
    05-22-16 02:38 PM
    Sad...blackberry and nokia together would be a dream partnership!!

Posted via CB10
    Any company buying BlackBerry. hypothetically speaking, would only want it for the patents if they are in the phone business. The BlackBerry brand has zero or possibly negative brand equity at this point.
    05-22-16 03:30 PM
    Wait, how is a touchscreen a security threat??

If they put in a fingerprint scanner, as long as it's not required and there are options to use the phone and lock/unlock the phone without it and there's a way to physically turn off the hardware side of it, then I'm ok with it.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Kinda hoped Android allowed fingerprint and picture passwords as an addition (i.e. two-factor) to password/PIN/pattern rather than a replacement. Biometrics alone is insecure.
    05-22-16 03:32 PM
    Don't tell anyone but this is what I've seen for the Rome.

from my Priv
    Wow, a 4K screen running 8-bit style games. All hail the Minecraft generation.
    Carjackd likes this.
    05-22-16 03:52 PM
    TIME... that is the real problem. The Idol 4 was released Feb of 2016, the Hamburg is suppose to be the later of the two new Android device... we are guessing at Feb 2017 or sometime just before the end of this fiscal year. By then Alcatel will have the Idol 5, the Idol 4 will be $100 - $150.

BlackBerry is a middleman with very high overhead, thus they are adding a big markup on any device they touch. I think Chen is going to try to account for this by replacing the retailers... but that too will add to their cost of selling these devcies. You will pay a premium to own a BlackBerry...
    That sounds like typical BlackBerry to me 6-12 month old specs for a Premium or?
    05-22-16 04:01 PM
    Any company buying BlackBerry. hypothetically speaking, would only want it for the patents if they are in the phone business. The BlackBerry brand has zero or possibly negative brand equity at this point.
    Yes...but their negatives can be erased with the positives from nokia

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    05-22-16 04:23 PM
    Blackberry NEEDS something radically different, a gimmick to get people talking and into the Blackberry displays. This may not be "radical" but it couldn't hurt.
    05-22-16 04:43 PM
    Agreed. They could do a smoke and mirrors sale for just hardware or bb10 platform, even whole handset division. I am really shocked they aren't pushing for a semi open platform qnx for all devices. A la android for everything. They are doing it, but not agressively enough. With that they could have their systems in other manufacturers tablets, phones, cars, he'll even make a raspberry pi type basic cpu!

Posted via CB10
    05-22-16 06:39 PM
    When Blaze speaks, I listen!

Honestly though, I was kinda confused as to why this is in the Vienna section. There should be a Hamburg and Rome section separately. Still, it's great to see Blaze out here in the "city" with us common CrackBerrians.
    That's why 4 days went by without me actually knowing about the thread. I only decided to search for this thread after seeing the berryflow podcast.

Anyways, as many partners BlackBerry can make the better at this point. I wouldn't have a problem with this being true. Personally this priv will be my last android device so I wouldn't be in the market to buy this phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-23-16 12:34 AM
    Actuallt, from a hw point of view, the Idol 4 is a great slab! Sleek and elegant (imo). Let's hope BlackBerry will put a bigger battery and keep upgrading their SW! ;-)
    P.s. AFAIK the Idol 4 will cost less than 300$ and it's gonna come out some time in the next weeks. If BlackBerry will set the same price for that thing with a BlackBerry logo, its security features, the Hub and so on, I believe it can compete. Of course, they gotta release it pretty fast (within 2-3 months). Fingers crossed.
    Heard a rumor...-221201652343pm_635_alcatel_idol_4.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    05-23-16 02:12 AM
    The Alcatel Idol 3 sells for $349 on Bell. The big point here is that this class of phone is eligible for a plan that is $10 a month cheaper than all the top phones. With a bigger battery and perhaps a better build quality $400 cdn is realistic.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-16 07:27 AM
    The Alcatel Idol 3 sells for $349 on Bell. The big point here is that this class of phone is eligible for a plan that is $10 a month cheaper than all the top phones. With a bigger battery and perhaps a better build quality $400 cdn is realistic.

Posted via CB10
    Yup! $400 Canadian would be what, 250 USD? I'd take it, knowing BlackBerry it will probably be 400 USD... so not worth it in canadia. See priv for reference...

Posted via CB10
    05-23-16 12:53 PM
    I did read of a retail price in the UK of $400 US for the Idol 4. Review of the phone was in effect decent mid range.

The important fact is that BlackBerry needs an Android VKB to bundle with their MDM product.
    05-23-16 01:14 PM
    This is more than a rumor, It is quite possible that the hamburg will be an Idol 4 clone, but much better looking , and much much more secure
    05-23-16 05:45 PM
    I don't think that the new Hamburg will be priced higher than $299, even John Chen admitted it was not very wise to go with the price point of the Priv. I think they finally learned their lesson, and will put out a pretty decent mid-range phone.
    05-23-16 05:49 PM
    What is missed in this discussion is the handsets needed by corporations. My company has over 100,000 employees on mobile devices 95% are blackberry. The other is apple, but it takes special approval to get one. This due to handset costs and costs of running good technologies, even though it is owned by blackberry , it is way more expensive on internal monthly charges to your cost center. We are USA based and att or Verizon gives us our blackberry for free. Apple is reduced but the cost center has to pay for it. Either way, the handsets are all locked down. You cannot download apps or such. I do not see blackberry exiting handsets, but just focusing on corporate accounts where the server software to run secure networks is critical. Consumer hanset business is fickle Look at Apple, it is becoming the blackberry of today as its operating system is basically the same as the original iPhone.

All I am pointing out is blackberry tried to go mainstream. Blame the analyst who forced the company to respond to Apple, when Apple buyers where never their market. So blackberry go back to your roots and sell secure phones and software for those who need it. Or for those who just want to communicate not be entertained. Just my 2 cents from a user who has had a blackberry since 1997
    05-23-16 08:09 PM
    95,000 BlackBerry devices in one USA company ???
    05-23-16 08:56 PM
    Actuallt, from a hw point of view, the Idol 4 is a great slab! Sleek and elegant (imo). Let's hope BlackBerry will put a bigger battery and keep upgrading their SW! ;-)
    P.s. AFAIK the Idol 4 will cost less than 300$ and it's gonna come out some time in the next weeks. If BlackBerry will set the same price for that thing with a BlackBerry logo, its security features, the Hub and so on, I believe it can compete. Of course, they gotta release it pretty fast (within 2-3 months). Fingers crossed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	221201652343PM_635_alcatel_idol_4.jpeg 
Views:	1322 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	400445

Posted via CB10
    The reason of partnering with Alcatel is to cut costs by developing the device together or even just using a Alcatel license to build the the device and put a BlackBerry name tag on it.

It is highly unlikely that the device differs in anything but the name. Otherwise the cost advantage would disappear. BlackBerry is not going to put any effort into developing the hardware...

It is different with the pkb phone. Here they need Blackberrys knowledge and patents.
    IMHO that is why the all touch us going to release first!

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 12:43 AM
228 ... 56789 ...