It is highly unlikely that the device differs in anything but the name. Otherwise the cost advantage would disappear. BlackBerry is not going to put any effort into developing the hardware...
    I disagree. There will also be hardware-level security differences, dictated by BlackBerry, that will make these phones (if they show up) different from Alcatel's standard offerings. Now that BlackBerry has worked out these details on the Priv, I don't think it'll involve a huge development cost for them, but Alcatel will have to do some extra things to implement these security measures, and that will add to the cost.
    05-24-16 09:35 AM
    I disagree. There will also be hardware-level security differences, dictated by BlackBerry, that will make these phones (if they show up) different from Alcatel's standard offerings. Now that BlackBerry has worked out these details on the Priv, I don't think it'll involve a huge development cost for them, but Alcatel will have to do some extra things to implement these security measures, and that will add to the cost.
    Exactly the reason why the device will be much costlier than the original Alcatel offering
    05-24-16 10:15 AM
    Chen has already speculated a $400 target.
    05-24-16 12:18 PM
    Exactly the reason why the device will be much costlier than the original Alcatel offering
    Could be a mutual deal though... build effort but access to some BlackBerry sauce... could it be the PKB ? (100% speculative).

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 01:53 PM
    Could be a mutual deal though... build effort but access to some BlackBerry sauce... could it be the PKB ? (100% speculative).

Posted via CB10
    Or could it be some of their SW offering? Like..dunno..the Hub maybe? ;-)

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 02:13 PM
    Also, and many more (patents)... but again, speculation over a rumor.
    2 cents worth, no more

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 03:03 PM
    Well, let's be honest here. I hear lots of rumors. Many of them reek of BS from miles away but I recently heard one that, after today's purported leaked specs for the 'Hamburg', became A LOT more interesting and I'll tell you why, because I like you guys. Before I dip into this, I want to highlight AGAIN, this is a rumor and I'm not going to put it on the blogs because I fully admit it's a bit shady and I can't find anyone else to really back me up on it as of yet.

Baseline Rumor: BlackBerry will release two mid-range Android devices but rather than being BlackBerry in-house designs, BlackBerry has partnered with Alcatel for at least one of those devices, namely the Hamburg being a re-branded Alcatel Idol 4, if not both.

Why it's plausible: Aside from the obvious fact that BlackBerry needs to cut their hardware cost in order to be profitable, after recalling this rumor upon reading the Hamburg specs from today I once again went and look at the Idol 4 specs and they pretty much match up identically. Right down to the '10GB of storage space' some people lost their mind about, not understanding Android 6.0.1 and apps make up the other 6GB for a full 16GB. Heck, the Idol 4 even looks close to the renders of the Hamburg @DHabkirk created, despite him basing those on the Passport SE/Internal designs.

Now, remember all that talk of there being a 'special key'? Well, guess what, the Idol 4 has a special key as well. It's called the Boom Key and as Android Central notes, it's similar to that of what we would know as a convenience key on BlackBerry.

Needless to say, along with the specs, looks, and that special key mention, this rumor is starting to carry a lot of weight. Personally, I'm not sure what to think of this as of yet, and really I don't care unless it's confirmed, but it would certainly be an interesting move for BlackBerry, though, I'm not sure it would be welcomed by all.

In any case, I again, can't stress enough that this still remains just a rumor and I'm really just speculating when it comes to the details. You all can let me know what you think... plausible... BS.. whatever. How you would feel if it's real... would you be interested in it?
    Very interesting. As part of a consulting project, I learned that Nokia is now part of Alcatel and MS just sold their phone
    Business to them. This all from memory so don't bank on it. There may be a China participation as well. small world brought together by financial necessity and market forces.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-24-16 03:48 PM
    Very interesting. As part of a consulting project, I learned that Nokia is now part of Alcatel and MS just sold their phone
    Business to them. This all from memory so don't bank on it. There may be a China participation as well. small world brought together by financial necessity and market forces.

I believe it was specifically Alcatel-Lucent that's related to Nokia now, not simply Alcatel. Or something like that, lol.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-24-16 05:18 PM
    Best thing I read is that BlackBerry should transfer all its IP to the newly formed Nokia's company (HDM).
    BlackBerry lost the race of hardware. It is all over now.
    Much better to focus on what left now. They at least works with Nokia to keep the PK phones for enterprise, like Nokia Passport 2, Nokia Q50, or call it E-Series even!
    Nokia is coming back and the world seems extremely excited to that.
    I would kill for a Nokia-built Blackberry. Or a Nokia/Blackberry partnership

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    05-25-16 12:04 PM
    I will wait to see hamburg, but I like the Alcatel Idol 4 and 4S a lot as well would have no reservations picking one of them up as well. Only thing stopping me would be to see how much more BlackBerry would charge for the same specs as the idol 4. Not sure if the hardened kernel, root of trust and hub would be worth the premium (if it's a lot extra). Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-25-16 08:41 PM
    http://m.gsmarena.com/windows_10powe...news-18484.php

Looks like Alcatel and Microsoft are working together also.
    05-29-16 06:43 PM
    True...but..

Attachment 400116
    Eh? I don't get it. Those really don't look similar at all. Totally different shape, button placement, speaker, bezels - they actually have basically zero resemblance other than both being rectangles, but what phone isn't?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 10:32 PM
    Eh? I don't get it. Those really don't look similar at all. Totally different shape, button placement, speaker, bezels - they actually have basically zero resemblance other than both being rectangles, but what phone isn't?

Posted via CB10
    They look the same to me. �\_(ツ)_/�
    05-30-16 10:16 PM
    Ahahaha... looks like someone tried to take this post and blow it out of proportion. Or at least trying to.

http://www.talkandroid.com/296959-al...y-involvement/
    smart548 likes this.
    06-17-16 05:33 AM
    Uh you sure about that? Has the Idol 4 even been released yet?

Posted via CB10
    Nope.

Posted via Overheating Z10
    06-17-16 07:22 AM
    Hope it comes with expandable memory.

06-17-16 04:03 PM
    Hope it comes with expandable memory.

Gsmarena says yes. For the idol 4

http://m.gsmarena.com/alcatel_idol_4-7897.php
    06-17-16 04:43 PM
    Finger crossed they will take the 4S instead of the 4 as reference model! Powerful, VR-included, nice camera and screen and at a mid-high price

Posted via CB10
    06-18-16 08:50 AM
    The notification LED's are the biggest on Alcatels (TCL hardware) droids and is about as bright and beamy as a BlackBerry Passport notification LED.
    06-18-16 10:29 AM
    Alcatel Idol 4 for 329 euro and 4s at 469 euro ....

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/s/ref=is...UvbUpU12476076

Posted via CB10
    06-19-16 07:56 PM
    Finger crossed they will take the 4S instead of the 4 as reference model! Powerful, VR-included, nice camera and screen and at a mid-high price

Posted via CB10
    Not a chance. The whole point of this exercise is to get the price down as much as possible. The Idol 4 is easily more than sufficient for corporate use.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-19-16 08:07 PM
    The custom Android Blackberry apps should be married to the injected security key. Weed out the freeloaders!

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    06-24-16 01:39 PM
    The custom Android Blackberry apps should be married to the injected security key. Weed out the freeloaders!

If they gave me the option I'd probably buy the Apps... not going to buy a phone that I don't see the value in. Especially if they stick with just midgrade phones from now on.
    06-24-16 01:58 PM
    If they gave me the option I'd probably buy the Apps... not going to buy a phone that I don't see the value in. Especially if they stick with just midgrade phones from now on.
    There you go. Yet another reason to lock it up, some people might actually buy it.

06-24-16 03:14 PM
    There you go. Yet another reason to lock it up, some people might actually buy it.

I wouldn't have... it wasn't available on Verizon when I needed to replace my Z10. Even if it was, it still not offered as one of our corporate discounted devices. My choice was an Iphone 6, a Galaxy S6 and a Droid Turbo 2.

But I could live without these apps if it came down to a choice..... would rather have a hardware package with fewer issues.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-24-16 03:31 PM
228 ... 678910