The first DTek50 user in our company (and also the President) caught me this morning and told me that he had discovered something about the DTek50 that surprised him. He tried to use the headset/earbuds that he had used in his Z10 and found that they wouldn't work (no sound). He then tried another pair and got the same result (no sound). When he tried the headset that came with the DTek50, they worked. He told me that he was surprised that you couldn't use any headset to listen to something. He went on to say that apparently the difference in the headphone plug was that the ones that didn't work only had two "segments" on the plug while the pair that worked had three "segments" on the plug.

Does that sound correct to everyone?
    09-06-16 11:51 AM
    The first DTek50 user in our company (and also the President) caught me this morning and told me that he had discovered something about the DTek50 that surprised him. He tried to use the headset/earbuds that he had used in his Z10 and found that they wouldn't work (no sound). He then tried another pair and got the same result (no sound). When he tried the headset that came with the DTek50, they worked. He told me that he was surprised that you couldn't use any headset to listen to something. He went on to say that apparently the difference in the headphone plug was that the ones that didn't work only had two "segments" on the plug while the pair that worked had three "segments" on the plug.

I have a pair of AudioTechnica ATH-M50 and a pair of Ultimate Ears SuperFi.5 and they both work fine (two black "segments"). I also have a Sennheiser pair I use for jogging (three green "segments") and that works fine also. If all else fails, consider asking for an exchange.
    09-06-16 12:28 PM
    Koss Porta Pro: no problems at all.

Connected the phone with a cable (jack) to my carradio: works correct, just have to raise the volume
    09-06-16 05:06 PM
    Could it be that he didn't push the jack in all the way when trying different headsets?

My name is Jimmy and I am a BlackBerryaholic
    sethr likes this.
    09-06-16 09:34 PM
    I don't think that was the case as he is one of my more technical users. Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll keep digging into it!
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-21-16 10:06 AM
    Headsets with 2 'bands' on the plug deliver stereo sound. The 3rd band adds an audio mic connection.

Those little bands are the electrical contacts.

My guess is the plug wasn't fully inserted.
    09-22-16 12:25 AM
    Headphone Jack only works with certain headsets/earbuds?-amphenol_km2p_3_5mm_mono_phone_plug_diecast_1033745.jpg
    3.5mm (1/8") mono plug, 2 conductors (tip/sleeve)

Headphone Jack only works with certain headsets/earbuds?-wholesale-price-1pcs-high-quality-silver-font-b-3-5mm-b-font-3-pole-male-repair.jpg
    3.5mm stereo plug, 3 conductors (tip/ring/sleeve)

Headphone Jack only works with certain headsets/earbuds?-ph-70-047b-1.jpg
    3.5mm stereo plug with mono mic, 4 conductors (tip/ring/ring/sleeve)
    09-22-16 10:37 PM

Buy an adapter 3.5mm to 3.5mm and you may solve the problem. This happened to me with another device

Posted via CB10
    heppyX likes this.
    09-23-16 06:28 PM

There are headsets that are made to work with android devices specifically. Headsets that are made for ios will not work in any android devices. This applies ONLY to three button headsets with mic and call control / volume buttons. Headsets with one button will work as well. Depending on the company, they may manufacture ios versions or Android. These are afew I have now, NOCS, Sennheiser, Ajays, and Audio technica.

вιaсĸвεггч ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)running Android 6.0.1
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 09-24-16 at 09:50 AM.
    09-23-16 06:47 PM
    Headphone Jack only works with certain headsets/earbuds?-adapter.png

All modern devices use this pin-out configuration (some Android devices as recent as 3-4 years ago used the older Nokia standard of Left - Right - Mic - Ground), but Apple actually patented the resistance used by their headsets and designed their devices so that only licensed headsets would work. Android headsets aren't completely standardized but all use difference resistance than Apple (because they didn't want to license a resistance spec from Apple for Android devices), but most Android devices are compatible with each other.
    09-23-16 10:22 PM

Being an audio fanboy I have tried dozens of iem's and the one thing ive noticed is that the ones specifically made for ios will have non functioning up/down buttons however the center button can mute depending on the headset.
    You have to buy specific android version of headsets and there arent alot of companies that make a whole lot of android iem's.

My top three.
    Nocs NS 500
    Qjays
    and Seinnhheiser momentum.

ALL 3 have amazing sound quality. And are made with driver's for android so up / down and center buttons work.

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2252 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 10-08-16 at 12:20 PM.
    10-03-16 12:29 PM
    It is a basic drawing of the inside of a trs jack, your will accually have other contact for your mic, but you can be getting a short or no contact when your plug the astro all the way in. I would send it in for sure, it would suck having those great headphone and not be able to use them And it will really **** ya off later down the road if you don't.
    06-13-17 10:19 AM