I am SO disappointed with the DTek50. I've had BB after BB after BB since 2008. A loyal BB customer I've been! I've always told my friends I will never switch but this is my last BlackBerry.

Since the week I got it I've been having problems. The keyboard stops working, the HUB stops working, Messages stops works, the camera stops working... I called a month ago and the guy helped clear all of the data and Force Stop all of these apps but that did nothing. Finally today after missing the chance to take a picture of my daughter's cast being removed BECAUSE MY CAMERA STOPPED WORKING I called again to demand a new phone! ...That's not part of the warranty process. I'd have to send this one in, let them see IF they encounter the problems I sporadically, yet frequently, encounter, then they'd fix it and send it back. Who the heck would be OK without a phone for a week or two?? Are you serious? I've paid so much money to BlackBerry over the years and this is the way I'm treated??

This phone is terrible. BB's have always been buggy but this is beyond and I'm not even joking. I've asked the reps if it's just mine or are they all this way but they never responded to that question. Am I the only one?? I'm done with BB. Guess I'll have to try Samsung. D:
    04-19-17 11:42 AM
    All that frustration could likely be solved on your own. - https://us.blackberry.com/support/sm...roid-OS-Reload
    04-19-17 11:57 AM
    You should know, reload your OS™ is always the preferred method of fixing everything BlackBerry. And unfortunately most always fixes most things, unless you restore a backup, which usually puts the problem right back. Lol
    04-19-17 12:32 PM
    I have had mine since November 2016 and never experienced any of the issues you have once. Sounds like your particular device is messed up. Can't remember anyone else in here mentioning those kind of problems either.
    Ethynil, dpw09 and CerveloJohn like this.
    04-19-17 12:38 PM
    This phone is terrible.
    I have 2 DTEK50's with rather complex configurations, set up to synchronize data between various apps and devices, have 2 camera apps, huge music library and swap out SIM's between Canadian and U.S. carriers.

Both devices have operated flawlessly from the start, with none of the issues described.

Sounds like improved understanding of Android might be in order with judicious management of App selection, installation and configuration.

No, the phone is not terrible, and based on the reports I have been reading on this Forum since I bought my two DTEK50's , you may well be the only one experiencing the issues you've described.

Is this your first experience with Android? Would you care to describe your installation? Are all your installed Apps from Google PlayStore?
    Last edited by Ethynil; 04-19-17 at 06:34 PM.
    CerveloJohn and terminatorx like this.
    04-19-17 01:19 PM
    My wife's DTEK50 hasn't had any problems since August 2016. Reload the OS and start from scratch sounds like your best bet.

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2205 / Telus
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    04-19-17 05:11 PM
    Good luck figuring things out. I have the DTEK 50 and have never experienced any problems. I am not in love with the phone, but it works well.
    04-19-17 06:21 PM
    All android phones can have these problems, actually any phone can. And these are the easiest to resolve.
    Reasons likely to cause issues: you unknowingly installed an app that ****ed up your device or
    Something went wrong during an update process

Let me guess, you have some kind of antivirus installed on the phone?
    Since it would be too complex to try and pinpoint where the issue stated the best way to resolve it is with the OS reload, as everyone else has stated. This will delete all your information on the phone so make sure you backup important information!

Good luck
    Ethynil likes this.
    04-19-17 06:57 PM
    All of these issues sound software related. Reload the OS.
    04-19-17 07:35 PM
    See this is what I wanted to know! If I'm the only one and I have a faulty device then, as a loyal customer, why won't they replace it for me? Pretty sure none of you would be OK without a phone for however long it takes for them to get it, diagnose the problems, and send it back. I mean that's how things are these days! We can't go without our phones.

I will try the reload myself. Thank you!!

And this is my first Android experience. I really don't see what that has to do with texting and using my camera. I get messages all the time saying "The keyboard has stopped working." , "Messages has stopped working." These are the constant issues I have with this device.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    04-19-17 07:42 PM
    All that frustration could likely be solved on your own. - https://us.blackberry.com/support/sm...roid-OS-Reload
    I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post and try to help me. I'm going to try to reload the OS right now.
    04-19-17 09:26 PM
    That reloads gotta work. No issues at all with the dtek50 or 60 here
    04-19-17 09:29 PM
    I can appreciate your disappointment as I would feel upset too however, phone is clearly not operating normally. Based on your description, it sounds like your sells guy executed a forced stop and cleared data which didn't help. However, did you try a factory reset? I had some issues myself which were fixed with a reset.
    04-19-17 10:22 PM
    Wow... sounds like you have a dud phone. I know this doesn't help, but I have been happy with my dtek50, so maybe you just got a defective one, but I would try reloading the operating system as others have suggested before sending it in for repair.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-17 12:17 AM
    Like others have shared, my Dtek50 has never had an issue whatsoever. I have a a really complicated setup with synchronization, widgets, and such and everything runs flawlessly.

Sounds like you might have a corrupt os and you should try to reset it. But first try this: Settings>Backup and Reset>Factory Data Reset.

Please post back on any further progress.
    04-20-17 06:46 AM
    Yes, Please reload and report back. I've had no issues with the ones I've had and my wife's has been using one since release. Also have you ensure all your apps are updated? In some cases, you have to go to G-play store to updates the BB software (camera for example).
    04-20-17 08:29 AM
    And this is my first Android experience. I really don't see what that has to do with texting and using my camera.
    Perhaps not with texting and camera usage by themselves, but it may have to do with configuration, permissions and/or installation of a misbehaving application from a mischievous or incompetent developer. Apps should only be downloaded from Google Play and careful attention should be paid to interpreting reviews by users that may give a clue about the performance of the app.

Even apps that would be expected to be reliable can adversely affect the system...I had such an experience with an Avast Security accessory app (not Avast security itself) on my DTEK50 that blocked some basic and unrelated settings from working.

As has been mentioned, after doing a factory reset, be very careful about the apps you reinstall, and be certain about any settings and configuration changes you make from the default, unless you know for certain, the outcome of those changes.

Please report your findings following a software reset.
    04-20-17 09:04 AM
    You buy a few dozen apples, odds are one will have a worm in it.... someone ends up with a bad apple (or BlackBerry). Doesn't mean you should stop eating apples (or BlackBerries), just get another.
    04-20-17 11:06 AM
    Perhaps not with texting and camera usage by themselves, but it may have to do with configuration, permissions and/or installation of a misbehaving application from a mischievous or incompetent developer. Apps should only be downloaded from Google Play
    I've not downloaded many apps. I've got Pandora and Snapchat, which I did use Google Play to download.

I will do the OS reload tonight and see what happens. Crossing my fingers!
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-20-17 03:48 PM
    You buy a few dozen apples, odds are one will have a worm in it.... someone ends up with a bad apple (or BlackBerry). Doesn't mean you should stop eating apples (or BlackBerries), just get another.
    I definitely understand that. I'm personally upset with their customer service. The only solution is for me to go without a phone for a week or two? I've been a BlackBerry supporter for too long. I've given BB a bunch of money over the years. I work in customer service for a metal company. Return /replacements are an easy thing to do but BlackBerry won't treat me the way I deserve, as a loyal customer.
    04-20-17 03:53 PM
    There is no such thing as loyalty, you know they don't actually have a record of how many phones you buy ...

Their customer support seems to suck right now. There's no need to go without your phone if it can be resolved with a simple reload
    04-20-17 04:04 PM
    Title changed, cause...yeah
    Ethynil and SlcCorrado like this.
    04-20-17 10:38 PM
    You must have a defective unit, or require a clean reload.

I also have a DTEK50 and have never experienced problems like you are describing.
    04-20-17 10:57 PM
    This thread confirms my suspicions about Android. It's garbage.
    04-21-17 07:00 AM
    This thread confirms my suspicions about Android. It's garbage.
    Yeah, because you get awesome support from BlackBerry and the BB10 team @ BlackBerry is supported by the company so well.....

Posted via CB10
    04-21-17 07:08 AM
50 12