As someone who really didn't like BB10 at all - I was still feeling that it would be a shame if BB stopped making phones. I was hoping they would come back and be a serious competitor. Now i've received the DTEK50, i'm almost certain BB are back in the race. The DTEK50 (despite the name not being the best) is a fantastic phone.

I'm not even the biggest fan of Android but Blackberry have done some serious work and improved the look and feel of Android's Marshmallow. It looks clean. The font is nice, there's no bloatware. It's almost stock android. There are some Blackberry specific apps e.g Hub and BBM, but these don't detract from the experience, they add to it. The following photographs are of my DTEK50.

Finally recieved DTEK50 - Wow-image1.jpg

The DTEK50's default configuration is "Excellent" security, which I feel could be better. It's not granular enough. I'd like to see a list of current vulnerabilities and expected fix dates in the DTEK app. But the concept is good and it gives you a quick overview of how things are looking.

Finally recieved DTEK50 - Wow-image2.jpg

The battery is showed as a yellow bar, charging around the side of the phone. Excellent!! (I think some of the Samsung phones do a similar thing). I love it.

Finally recieved DTEK50 - Wow-image3.jpg

A few mins later and my phone is now charging up faster with the 'Quick Charge' feature.

Overall, I think this is an incredible second attempt at BB going towards android. I think Android is the future of Blackberry. This is the best version of Android i've used (and i've used quite a lot of androids). Very impressed. At this moment in time, I can't really fault it. I'd have loved a fingerprint sensor, BUT, security-wise, it's actually a good thing not to have one. Either way, I can see me using this phone for a few years, providing Blackberry stick to their guns and update the phone regularly with the latest patches and security updates.
    Attached Thumbnails Finally recieved DTEK50 - Wow-image1.jpg   Finally recieved DTEK50 - Wow-image2.jpg   Finally recieved DTEK50 - Wow-image3.jpg  
    08-13-16 03:30 AM
    I agree, the Android marriage is likely to pay off. It's a smart move. That will be a good platform to elevate BlackBerry back to its former glory.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 04:08 AM
    Does the charging bar stay on when the screen is off ?
    08-13-16 04:11 AM
    I like BlackBerry Android but I'm not sure BlackBerry will stick with handsets. Time will tell but I love my Priv.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    08-13-16 06:12 AM
    No, it is only when you press the power button to check it. Great little feature though!

Edit: Another user confirmed that the charging bar can be left on during charging by going to settings > display
    Last edited by sidtek50; 08-13-16 at 04:53 PM.
    08-13-16 07:28 AM
    I agree. BlackBerry has made the Android experience more functional. I am using the PRIV and I really like it. Before this influence, Android and even iOS felt like a depository of disconnected apps. However, BB's input has turned Android into a connected experience. This is more to do with software, which anyone can download now but I feel the hardware security tweets increase my comfort with the device (and I love the pkb on the PRIV - addicted!)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    lynxs_claw and Johnny Dollar like this.
    08-13-16 08:10 AM
    I love the box more than the phone itself, They always made great boxes for their devices.
    08-13-16 08:37 AM
    I love the box more than the phone itself, They always made great boxes for their devices.
    In case you buy one, please keep the box and send/donate the DTEK50 to me.

*A3-A20
    08-13-16 08:51 AM
    No, it is only when you press the power button to check it. Great little feature though!
    I've not seen or heard about this feature. Really cool!

BlackBerry Curve 8310 (2010), BlackBerry Torch 9800 (2011-2013), Android junk (2013-2014), BlackBerry Z10 (2014-present)
    08-13-16 09:03 AM
    In case you buy one, please keep the box and send/donate the DTEK50 to me.

*A3-A20
    Haha I won't be doing that unfortunately, better to spend on boxes with BlackBerry devices I like.
    08-13-16 09:56 AM
    I agree that BlackBerry 's android is the best version available.

Unfortunately the trend is to keep trashing the brand for no reason.

I'm sure the back material is great but I just read someone call it "cheap plastic feel" on a prominent news site.

I'm really bewildered at how people can say, look elsewhere listing the nextbit, moto g, and other phones as better. At best they're on par.

People really need to stop drinking the koolaid honestly.

The keyboard is incredible, the productivity tab is so useful, the overall ui, and of course the security.

alan510, BLu, Sairos and 3 others like this.
    08-13-16 10:13 AM
    Thanks for the info. I also think its a great little feature
    08-13-16 10:20 AM
    is it 16g? any other version that more than 16gb?
    08-13-16 10:27 AM
    Yes.
    No. But you can add an sd card.

08-13-16 10:44 AM
    Adaptable storage up to 2 TB. Since it's Android there is also Google Drive and Photos or Amazon cloud if you have Prime for photos, if wanted. If not get a good, fast 128GB card and never worry.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    armedwithjello likes this.
    08-13-16 10:52 AM
    The priv's front camera was the only fault it had for me. I sold it b4 the prices started dropping all over the net. Got good money back for it. Im going to give the dtek a try. It seems to have everything I need in a smartphone for a decent price. Wish it had a bigger battery. Priv was really overpriced in my eyes. A good lesson for blackberry to learn from.

armedwithjello and auditman like this.
    08-13-16 11:04 AM
    It can be set to do either way. Stay on when screen is off or just be on when you wake screen. Settings / display / Show battery status on screen edge.

08-13-16 11:09 AM
    Way to go BlackBerry, back on the race!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 11:09 AM
    As someone who really didn't like BB10 at all - I was still feeling that it would be a shame if BB stopped making phones. I was hoping they would come back and be a serious competitor. Now i've received the DTEK50, i'm almost certain BB are back in the race. The DTEK50 (despite the name not being the best) is a fantastic phone.

I'm not even the biggest fan of Android but Blackberry have done some serious work and improved the look and feel of Android's Marshmallow. It looks clean. The font is nice, there's no bloatware. It's almost stock android. There are some Blackberry specific apps e.g Hub and BBM, but these don't detract from the experience, they add to it. The following photographs are of my DTEK50.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	1875 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	406317

The DTEK50's default configuration is "Excellent" security, which I feel could be better. It's not granular enough. I'd like to see a list of current vulnerabilities and expected fix dates in the DTEK app. But the concept is good and it gives you a quick overview of how things are looking.

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	1874 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	406318

The battery is showed as a yellow bar, charging around the side of the phone. Excellent!! (I think some of the Samsung phones do a similar thing). I love it.

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	1874 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	406319

A few mins later and my phone is now charging up faster with the 'Quick Charge' feature.

Overall, I think this is an incredible second attempt at BB going towards android. I think Android is the future of Blackberry. This is the best version of Android i've used (and i've used quite a lot of androids). Very impressed. At this moment in time, I can't really fault it. I'd have loved a fingerprint sensor, BUT, security-wise, it's actually a good thing not to have one. Either way, I can see me using this phone for a few years, providing Blackberry stick to their guns and update the phone regularly with the latest patches and security updates.
    Congratulations . Nice review .
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    08-13-16 11:20 AM
    Lol, cool. So buy the phone, keep the box and sell me the device!!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 11:38 AM
    Like I've said on other dtek 50 threads, wondering how long before I see one posted in the market place.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 11:39 AM
    Thanks for all the info. It does sound like a good machine. Any idea if the android version will be upgraded to N?
    08-13-16 11:41 AM
    Thanks for all the info. It does sound like a good machine. Any idea if the android version will be upgraded to N?
    It will be, around 6-8 months from now

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    PRGDR likes this.
    08-13-16 11:59 AM
    Just to add to this...blackberry in my opinion has added the cool factor again by taking on android. My kid wouldn't be seen with a bb10 device , but he is all over the dtek50
    wincyUt likes this.
    08-13-16 12:31 PM
    Beautiful device.
    Finally recieved DTEK50 - Wow-img_20160813_114130.jpg
    Finally recieved DTEK50 - Wow-img_20160813_114245.jpg

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    08-13-16 01:55 PM
54 123