The other thing they could do is license out their keyboard...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-18-16 04:42 PM
    Because they are not permitted to do so by the OHA.
    Yes, that is because BlackBerry wasn't mighty enough to stand up to Google. BlackBerry was desperate for an app ecosystem after the Amazon deal proved to be a failure. If it had succeeded, I suppose BlackBerry could approach Google and say, "I'll make a deal with you. You allow my BB10 OS to have the latest ART and access to your Play Store, and in return I will 1) make Android more secure for all Android devices; 2)churn out a great suite of apps called Hub+ as well; and 3) do like Palm once did, and sell a line of Android-hardened phones along side the BB10 ones, so my customers can have choice. If such a deal was offered, I'm certain BlackBerry just heard crickets.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    08-18-16 06:22 PM
    Yes, that is because BlackBerry wasn't mighty enough to stand up to Google. BlackBerry was desperate for an app ecosystem after the Amazon deal proved to be a failure. If it had succeeded, I suppose BlackBerry could approach Google and say, "I'll make a deal with you. You allow my BB10 OS to have the latest ART and access to your Play Store, and in return I will 1) make Android more secure for all Android devices; 2)churn out a great suite of apps called Hub+ as well; and 3) do like Palm once did, and sell a line of Android-hardened phones along side the BB10 ones, so my customers can have choice. If such a deal was offered, I'm certain BlackBerry just heard crickets.

Ya, wouldn't work.
    08-18-16 10:30 PM
    BB10 was definitely too late to the game, which was solely the faults of BB's leaders at that time. But the thing that doesn't really go by what you've said is how Facebook stopped allowing BB to use their API. Everything you've explained could explain why some developers wouldn't want to make apps, but here BB wasn't asking Facebook to make anything. They simply didn't like that BB users could access facebook without opening an app made by them, which goes in line with what I was saying about them wanting to force BB users off BB10 since they don't benefit from it...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Facebook has closed the same APIs to everyone, not just BB. They have some APIs which are open, but not nearly enough to make a fully functional FB app.

So BB is being treated exactly like every other 3rd party out there. You're right that FB did this to make sure their users are using FB apps. What else would you expect? Those guys get paid to make decisions which benefit their shareholders (including their employees).

BB never opened BBM APIs for anyone to make an iOS BBM app back when BBM was popular. Exactly the same reasoning in Waterloo at that time.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 08-19-16 at 12:20 AM.
    Jerry A and Ronindan like this.
    08-19-16 12:00 AM
    As Jim Morrison would sing, "This is the end." Hopefully most of us who haven't already done so will transition to Android-hardened BlackBerry devices. Similar to BBOS' fate, BB10 will reach its "end" after that second promised (though I don't trust BlackBerry anymore when it comes to BB10) maintenance update. With an active rotation of three devices, I can hold out as long as possible. I will enjoy my Classic first, and possibly put my SIM in my Q10 or Z30. Hopefully within a year, BlackBerry will improve its Android Hub even more, and trot out the best Android file manager available. So let's all continue to party with and enjoy BlackBerry 10!

08-19-16 12:09 AM
    Had the companies like Shazam, Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, etc. Would have given all of the platforms equal treatment and had all of the same apps across all platforms (windows phone as well) then I'm sure the decision of which phone you buy won't be "Well, there are features I would want, but I have to use this app so I'm forced to use this phone." Instead people can focus on getting a phone system that fills as much of their desires as they can.

Am I saying that would have made BB10 a leader? Nope, but it would have at least made it an ecosystem where you have 4 choices (or more) rather than now, where it's either an Android or iPhone, so the duopoly can basically get away with anything because they know you have no other choice.

But hey, don't worry, you're part of the majority, so pat yourself on the back. Who cares about anything else...

But why should any of these companies have shown up? You provided the benefit to BlackBerry (big name apps). You provided the benefit to yourself (OS choice).

So what was in it for them?
    08-19-16 12:28 AM
    I'm hoping one day they bring back bb10 when the company is making good money and back in the black. It would be nice to get bb10 with Google play and an updated runtime.

I finally retired my Q10 today because IBM verse won't load anymore and my IT Dept recognized the q10 as an outdated android phone.

My priv is my daily driver now. Seeya bb10. :-/

08-19-16 12:30 AM
    I understand what you're talking about. I'm not expecting every company to just go ahead and do it. And not talking about you specifically, but it's a fact that there being only 2 OS's to deal with benefits all of the companies involved. So even if in the beginning when it's not clear how popular BB10 could be, the big players knew it would benefit them more to simply not support it and hope that consumers follow suit. That's my point. I have no delusional expectation of companies just doing what doesn't benefit them, my issue is how so many consumers accept it as simply that it's an inferior system just because the big companies want them to believe it is.

By the time BB10 was ready to go iOS and Android had locked up about 90℅ of the smartphone market. Consumers didn't need to "follow suit" - they were already there!

Consumers accept BB10 as an inferior system because it is (for their needs).

Old BlackBerry (pre-Chen) moved too slow and too late to create a viable ecosystem platform.

Misdirecting to everyone else (developers, consumers, etc) is illogical. It completely discounts (and tries to excuse) the mess BB made for itself.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    08-19-16 12:41 AM
    I'm hoping one day they bring back bb10 when the company is making good money and back in the black. It would be nice to get bb10 with Google play and an updated runtime.
    If BlackBerry makes so much money that they can afford to buy Alphabet, then this could happen.
    StephanieMaks and Avenzuno like this.
    08-19-16 12:42 AM
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...c168ed946d.jpg The option to add a ringtone for each contact is there as well on my priv at least. There are ways to get it close to BB10 in function. It won't be the exact same way but you can just retrain your muscle memory.
    Setting a ringtone for each contact is there for every OS. What I mean is a separate setting for every type, not just calls. So to simplify it for the sake of explanation, let's just say I only want to customize for my wife. So I can set a custom ringtone for when my wife calls that's different if anyone else calls. But I can also set a different notification sound for when she texts that different from when she calls and different from when anyone else texts. Then I can set another custom (choose my own) sound for if my wife emails, that's different from other people's emails, different from when she texts, and different from when she calls. Then I can set another custom sound for when she sends me a BBM message, that's again, different from other BBM's and different from when she texts, emails, or calls. Etc. And have the ability to do this for every individual contact. Meaning right now for my important contacts, I can tell you if I'm receiving an email from Andrew or a text from Charles, or a call from wifey, etc. all from the sound and vibration combo. Unless the BB launcher added that level of customization, I don't believe vanilla Android has that. Albeit my work Android isn't updated to MM yet so maybe they might have finally added that then, but I don't know. Also, I hate how if I did want to use one sound across different things I need to have a copy of that sound in different folders. Like to use a sound for texts the sound has to be in a specific notifications folder, not the ringtone folder. I wish Google would add a simple "browse for files" option when picking your sounds so you can have them stored anywhere, but that's just a very minor gripe about Android...

08-19-16 09:25 AM
    Facebook has closed the same APIs to everyone, not just BB. They have some APIs which are open, but not nearly enough to make a fully functional FB app.

So BB is being treated exactly like every other 3rd party out there. You're right that FB did this to make sure their users are using FB apps. What else would you expect? Those guys get paid to make decisions which benefit their shareholders (including their employees).

BB never opened BBM APIs for anyone to make an iOS BBM app back when BBM was popular. Exactly the same reasoning in Waterloo at that time.
    I know that, but the only one it really affected was BB since they made their app for iOS and Android. And ultimately it still proves my point that their ultimate goal is to force everyone who wants to access FB to use their apps. And no, I didn't expect anything else, again, my gripe is how everyone seems so happy to go along with whatever benefits the companies more than the consumers. Look at OP saying he wishes BB10 will die as if its existence harms him in some way...

08-19-16 09:30 AM
    But why should any of these companies have shown up? You provided the benefit to BlackBerry (big name apps). You provided the benefit to yourself (OS choice).

So what was in it for them?
    It doesn't really have any short-term benefits, but in the long term having a situation that's not a monopoly/duopoly like it is now with Google and Apple, would drive innovation forward which could lead to bigger and greater things. Now it's basically just two giants gouging the consumers with devices that are essentially identical but with slight differences and gimicky old tech slapped onto their phones to make it seem like innovation is happening. Sure it benefits them greatly right now, especially with the masses seemingly so dumb as to not see how stagnant the mobile technology field has been in the past 5 years or more, but eventually people will start to realize it. Some people already have, but we're a very small minority...

08-19-16 09:35 AM

I finally retired my Q10 today because IBM verse won't load anymore and my IT Dept recognized the q10 as an outdated android phone.

My priv is my daily driver now. Seeya bb10. :-/

Would be nice, or at least bring ALL of the good features of BB10 to their Android loader...

08-19-16 09:36 AM
    By the time BB10 was ready to go iOS and Android had locked up about 90℅ of the smartphone market. Consumers didn't need to "follow suit" - they were already there!

Consumers accept BB10 as an inferior system because it is (for their needs).

Old BlackBerry (pre-Chen) moved too slow and too late to create a viable ecosystem platform.

Misdirecting to everyone else (developers, consumers, etc) is illogical. It completely discounts (and tries to excuse) the mess BB made for itself.
    I would go back and copy and paste, but too lazy atm, so just go back and read my comment about how BB was definitely too late to the game. Thanks.

08-19-16 09:37 AM
    If BlackBerry makes so much money that they can afford to buy Alphabet, then this could happen.
    Lol, Alphabet/Google will have to really screw the pooch big time sometime in the future for this to happen. I think it's a funny concept now, but maybe I should just wait and see because who knows what the future holds.

08-19-16 09:39 AM
    Setting a ringtone for each contact is there for every OS. What I mean is a separate setting for every type, not just calls. So to simplify it for the sake of explanation, let's just say I only want to customize for my wife. So I can set a custom ringtone for when my wife calls that's different if anyone else calls. But I can also set a different notification sound for when she texts that different from when she calls and different from when anyone else texts. Then I can set another custom (choose my own) sound for if my wife emails, that's different from other people's emails, different from when she texts, and different from when she calls. Then I can set another custom sound for when she sends me a BBM message, that's again, different from other BBM's and different from when she texts, emails, or calls. Etc. And have the ability to do this for every individual contact. Meaning right now for my important contacts, I can tell you if I'm receiving an email from Andrew or a text from Charles, or a call from wifey, etc. all from the sound and vibration combo. Unless the BB launcher added that level of customization, I don't believe vanilla Android has that. Albeit my work Android isn't updated to MM yet so maybe they might have finally added that then, but I don't know. Also, I hate how if I did want to use one sound across different things I need to have a copy of that sound in different folders. Like to use a sound for texts the sound has to be in a specific notifications folder, not the ringtone folder. I wish Google would add a simple "browse for files" option when picking your sounds so you can have them stored anywhere, but that's just a very minor gripe about Android...

I wish blackberry 10 could

1. put widgets
    2. have all native apps
    3. could cast to TV right from the screen
    4. could customize icons
    5. could different launchers
    6. have notifications from all apps

and so on and so on and so on

blackberry 10 at this point is very basic compared to Android.
    08-19-16 09:41 AM
    I would go back and copy and paste, but too lazy atm, so just go back and read my comment about how BB was definitely too late to the game. Thanks.

I've read your comments. You and I agree that BB was definitely late. Where we disagree is where the core fault lies. You keep going back to this "chicken and egg" thesis of developers and users. Laying the blame at either developers feet for not providing you with a viable BB10 platform. Or blaming the users for not enough uptake to get developers interested.

My thesis is that there is no "chicken and egg" problem. Eggs were cooked (any style you like) and breakfast was served by the time BB10 showed up. They're the ones that failed. Not the developers, not the users. There was little reason for developers to target a platform which didn't have profitable ROI. They're businesses, not charities. And there was little reason for users to adopt to spend their hard-earned money on a platform which did less than the competition (they wanted more bang for the buck - and rightfully so).
    StephanieMaks, JeepBB and cman5 like this.
    08-19-16 10:03 AM
    I wish blackberry 10 could

1. put widgets
    2. have all native apps
    3. could cast to TV right from the screen
    4. could customize icons
    5. could different launchers
    6. have notifications from all apps

and so on and so on and so on

blackberry 10 at this point is very basic compared to Android.
    And that's fine (although casting to the tv it can do, but whatever...). I never said that it's for everyone. It's up to you what you think are important to you when making your choice. I use an Android every day for work, I'm well aware of widgets. It would be nice, but honestly not something I care too much about. I'm less about staring at my phone and more about what it can do for me that doesn't require my constant attention. So typing without looking, being able to control media without looking to taking the phone out, knowing what notifications I have without spending too much time looking or not looking at all, those things are much more important to me. Probably because I spend a good portion of my day driving and doing things with my hands...

You keep trying to "disprove" my points by stating what different needs you have. That's not going to work because I never stated one is better than the other. So keep listing things on Android that you like if that makes you happy. Doesn't at all affect anything that I've said, but knock yourself out anyway. :-)

bigjman likes this.
    08-19-16 11:31 AM
    I've read your comments. You and I agree that BB was definitely late. Where we disagree is where the core fault lies. You keep going back to this "chicken and egg" thesis of developers and users. Laying the blame at either developers feet for not providing you with a viable BB10 platform. Or blaming the users for not enough uptake to get developers interested.

My thesis is that there is no "chicken and egg" problem. Eggs were cooked (any style you like) and breakfast was served by the time BB10 showed up. They're the ones that failed. Not the developers, not the users. There was little reason for developers to target a platform which didn't have profitable ROI. They're businesses, not charities. And there was little reason for users to adopt to spend their hard-earned money on a platform which did less than the competition (they wanted more bang for the buck - and rightfully so).
    You might have read them, but you didn't really understand them. I'm not "blaming" anyone. Stating the fact that companies are doing only what benefits them the most in the short term and how consumers fail to see that and instead misinterpret their actions as a response to their needs...

08-19-16 11:33 AM
    It doesn't really have any short-term benefits, but in the long term having a situation that's not a monopoly/duopoly like it is now with Google and Apple, would drive innovation forward which could lead to bigger and greater things. Now it's basically just two giants gouging the consumers with devices that are essentially identical but with slight differences and gimicky old tech slapped onto their phones to make it seem like innovation is happening. Sure it benefits them greatly right now, especially with the masses seemingly so dumb as to not see how stagnant the mobile technology field has been in the past 5 years or more, but eventually people will start to realize it. Some people already have, but we're a very small minority...

What about when Blackberry was on top and owned most of the market? Were people complaining then? Did it stop innovation? No. Google and Apple came along and ran right by them. It will happen again.

There has been plenty of innovation in the last 5 years, maybe just nothing you're interested in and that's ok. I also wish people would not resort to calling people who are enjoying it "dumb", it really waters down an argument.
    cman5 likes this.
    08-19-16 02:52 PM
    Yes, this is a problem which has existed for as long as human beings have created complementary products. It's a serious barrier to entry to many industries.

Look at credit cards. People know how to make cheaper (for the consumer) and much safer credit cards. That's been known for a long time, but no consumer will sign up for a new credit card that they can't use at all the places they use cards. And no merchant will bother accepting a new card that none of their customers have.

Both sides are acting rationally and you can't blame either side, really.

This is why Tesla has to make their chicken and egg at the same time. They produce cars and are also investing billions in the charging stations people need to use the cars with much less range anxiety.
    Sorry, I don't see Tesla that way. Musk is using a whole lot of taxpayer money to develop electric cars and prop up his company. I would have had much more respect for him if he had a great product, and funded it and Tesla with private money. I am not convinced electric cars are a sure thing, particularly any self-driving ones.

08-19-16 06:09 PM
    Sorry, I don't see Tesla that way. Musk is using a whole lot of taxpayer money to develop electric cars and prop up his company. I would have had much more respect for him if he had a great product, and funded it and Tesla with private money. I am not convinced electric cars are a sure thing, particularly any self-driving ones.
    Tesla is selling more cars than they can easily build, and he's using a lot of that money to build out infrastructure to support the cars. And don't think that Elon isn't doing anything that all of the other car companies do - they all help themselves to plenty of taxpayer money. Elon didn't create that system, he's just using it to his advantage, just like every other company (that can) does.
    Jerry A likes this.
    08-19-16 09:05 PM
    Some brave soul should make a video on how close you can get a dtek/priv to work like BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    "Some brave soul"... LMAO
    08-19-16 09:33 PM
    Tesla is selling more cars than they can easily build, and he's using a lot of that money to build out infrastructure to support the cars. And don't think that Elon isn't doing anything that all of the other car companies do - they all help themselves to plenty of taxpayer money. Elon didn't create that system, he's just using it to his advantage, just like every other company (that can) does.
    I'm trying to think of a car company that hasn't benefited from tax incentives or outright public investment. Maybe Koenigsegg?
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-19-16 11:24 PM
    What about when Blackberry was on top and owned most of the market? Were people complaining then? Did it stop innovation? No. Google and Apple came along and ran right by them. It will happen again.

There has been plenty of innovation in the last 5 years, maybe just nothing you're interested in and that's ok. I also wish people would not resort to calling people who are enjoying it "dumb", it really waters down an argument.
    You realize that BB was never actually "on top" right? Back when BB was "#1" they were the best selling brand FOR SMARTPHONES. I highlight that because at that time smartphones were not the top selling type of phones. The majority of phones being sold were still dumbphones. So in fact, even when BB was so-called "on top" there really was still a ton of options in the market for phones. You had the regular candybar dumbphones, you had flip phones, you had the BB smartphones, you had the texting phones, you had landscape sliders, portrait sliders, the list goes on. It's nothing like it is now...

And there has been a FEW innovations in the last 5 years, nothing like the rate technology is supposed to move. Slapping old existing things onto phones is not innovation, especially things that are not useful for mobile communications. What exactly are these innovations? A curved screen that serves no real purpose or benefit? Fingerprint scanners that have been on laptops for over a decade? A heartrate sensor which has existed for many decades but nobody needed it on phones and still don't need it on phones? The only useful innovation so far (but still not new) is wireless charging, which my electric toothbrush has had for many years, but still at least something that actually makes sense for phones but still nothing revolutionary that pushes the industry forward. Just look at the phones side-by-side generation to generation. Glass slabs that get bigger with every bigger number. More storage, faster cpu, what innovations have there been? Just look back more than 5 years ago and look at how many game-changing innovations happen during every 5 year period before then. Then tell me innovation is moving forward today... The market is getting stagnant and it's because the leaders are comfortable and have no reason to spend money on r&d.

BB did the same and paid the price for it, but I don't think the same would happen with the big two now. When BB did that, people still bought phones based on features of the phones themselves. Now people buy phones based on apps, so no matter how many "nifty" features BB tries to put into their phones, unless it has the "must-have" apps of that year, nobody will buy them. Same goes for any other company who tries to get into the market. I would make the same argument for Windows Phone, but I can't bring myself to do it because I honestly disliked Windows Phone when I tried it. Had one and got rid of it. But that was before this latest version, so who knows if it got better. But who cares, it doesn't have some of the "must-have" apps either so...

08-19-16 11:36 PM
168 ... 23456 ...