Yah, I hope you're talking about all of the people who mock anyone using a BB or anything not Samsung or Apple. Because I've never put anyone down for their choice of phones. If you think I have then you've completely misunderstood everything that I've said and have based your entire mindset on a false-truth...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    No one mocks nor cares if anyone is using a Blackberry. The numbers are so tiny no one knows they exist. Its probably more insecurity of device choice by the user.

But let's see if we can get back on topic.
    08-21-16 02:07 PM
    No one said they want competition (blackberry) to die. It already has. Pretty clear.
    There is plenty of competition driving innovation. It's just not what you want.
    Um, maybe you should re-read OP's comments in the beginning... smfh

08-21-16 03:15 PM
    No one mocks nor cares if anyone is using a Blackberry. The numbers are so tiny no one knows they exist. Its probably more insecurity of device choice by the user.

But let's see if we can get back on topic.
    Damn, I need to stop taking hallucinations...

08-21-16 03:16 PM
    Um, maybe you should re-read OP's comments in the beginning... smfh
    has the OP participating in this thread since then? I think he or she may have omitted a "not" in her post. I do that all the time, and the post makes a lot more sense if you insert the "not"
    08-21-16 06:11 PM
    That's up to each individual developer. I don't see how that negatively affects the consumers...
    It negatively affects customers because devs choose not to develop for some platforms. In other words, exactly what happened to BB10, and what's happening to WinPhone, and what would have happened to WebOS.

Devs don't want to support 4, 5, or 6 OSs if they can only support 2 or 3. That's why we've had the same 3 options on the desktop for 25 years with no change in sight, even though there are billions to be made there IF you were to displace one of the existing platforms.

Dev's have to make choices of how to spend their time to maximize Return On Investment (ROI), and developing for niche platforms is a bad financial choice, which is why few have done so, and why fewer are doing so every day. Obviously, this has not been good for buyers of those niche platforms, who have wasted both money and time (with work-arounds) and have had to live without valuable apps and services. The free market does its job and eventually kills off the weak.
    08-21-16 08:28 PM
    Uh, think I was pretty clear, they TOLD ME that they bought them because they were told they were the "hot" phones to have or that they were the popular phones to have despite them originally not wanting what those phones offered them.
    They told you they bought the phones because the phones were the popular models. That's not the same thing as those people "wanting to fit in" - rather is those people wanting a phone with lots of app and service support. YOU were the one who made that leap - because that's your perception of how they think, based on your view that their choices are wrong. I'm fairly certain your assumption is false.
    08-21-16 08:33 PM
    I'm trying to think of a car company that hasn't benefited from tax incentives or outright public investment. Maybe Koenigsegg?
    The point I am making is that all American car companies I know of had humble beginnings in the early twentieth century without government money. To the best of my knowledge, neither Jobs & Wozniak nor Hewlett & Packard needed or took advantage of government money at the startup stage. Electric cars are being pushed by Establishment and big government interests. For long-term cost of ownership, along with not having to someday dispose of car batteries, the good ol' gasoline car is doing just fine. I encourage Musk and others to develop better, longer-lasting, environmentally conscious batteries for cars that consumers will buy, and do all of that without any government subsidies.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    08-21-16 09:11 PM
    who cares about first iphone and who cares about chicken or the egg. you can spin it anyway you want. it does not matter. apps make smartphone a smartphone. you can pretend that bb10 is superior to Android and you can write endless posts about it. at the same time I will do everything with my priv that bb10 cannot do and no...i am not talking about games but actual work. having two bb10 phones I can tell you straight that blackberry 10 cannot touch android in...productivity. android is way more productive than bb10 because apps make android more productive. if you like blackberry as I do and you want blackberry to keep releasing phones just get android based blackberry.
    I disagree with you there. I was completely happy with bb10 even with the lack of apps as long as the browser worked well. I could go to my banking site or book a vacation or pretty much anything I wanted to do. I could use my workout site and watch the videos on it. I jad all the apps I needed and enjoyed the ease of many things bb10 as compared to android. Apps only make a smartphone because android and apple force you to. So many things I could do with bb10 with the apps that were built into the os as opposed to android where they give you the basics and if you want more ya gotta dig through a bunch of junk to find the app that you want. Yeah I like my priv but that's mostly because of the BlackBerry software on it, not because of android. I only left bb10 because I could no longer reliably do many things I needed or wanted because of lack of support. When 10.2 came out I was determined to stick to bb10. I could only see it getting better. Bb10 was a great os period. Personally I didn't need all the apps that I jhave to have now. I'd venture to say that I'd enjoy my priv even more if it was running an up to date bb10. Bb10 was definitely the superior os in my opinion. Apps are over rated

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    08-21-16 09:32 PM
    has the OP participating in this thread since then? I think he or she may have omitted a "not" in her post. I do that all the time, and the post makes a lot more sense if you insert the "not"
    Maybe, but I hear "Oh, when will BlackBerry go out of business already?" quite often. So those people definitely exist. They are also the ones that are on social media boasting every time another platform other than the one they prefer fails at something. I was using OP only as an example because the person I replied to claim that there isn't one person in the universe who thinks that way...

08-21-16 10:55 PM
    They told you they bought the phones because the phones were the popular models. That's not the same thing as those people "wanting to fit in" - rather is those people wanting a phone with lots of app and service support. YOU were the one who made that leap - because that's your perception of how they think, based on your view that their choices are wrong. I'm fairly certain your assumption is false.
    Speaking of assumptions, let me break this down to you. I get asked a lot about technology stuff. A lot of people ask about what touchscreen phones they should buy. I would go over the Android options or iPhone since it's very simple with a great UI that "just works" for those who don't really seem like tinkerers. A small handful, I'd say about 8 or 9 people, were BBOS users or never owned a smartphone who (and ALL of these have to apply BTW) have told me that:
    A. They do not like typing on glass and must have a pkb
    B. I would always ask what apps they would need/want, and these individuals specifically said they didn't need any of those (there were others who expressed a need for pkb, but also expressed that they wanted apps, I didn't recommend BB to them despite the keyboard issue)
    C. I asked if they wanted a big screen to watch media on, and ONLY the ones that apply for A and B, and also said no to this question.

Given that BB really was the only option for pkb, and that these individuals don't use apps and didn't plan to, and they wouldn't mind the smaller screen, I recommended BB10 to this handful of people. All of them except one (who got a Q10 and now a Passport) ended up buying a Samsung or iPhone. When I asked them why, not a single one of them named a single feature, never mentioned the word apps, and specifically told me it's only because they were told that phone was more popular or hip...

I don't get why it's such a stretch for you to realize that people make decisions for all kinds of reasons, including the desire to fit in. Ask yourself how many people who used to make fun of Pokemon now play Pokemon GO and publicize it all over social media that they do simply because it's popular now? Oh, let me guess, you don't know one person right? Ok...

Heck, there are posts here on CB where someone said they tried to be loyal to BB but after being made fun of by their friends they caved and bought an Android or iPhone. But hey, let's not make assumptions now... lol

Edit: And just FYI, most of these people were like coworkers or otherwise acquaintances. The one who ended up with the Q10 and then a Passport is a close friend, and 2 of the ones that went with an Android or iPhone are also friends. So while I have no idea of the current situation with the others, one of these two, the only app she has that, well, will not be on BB10 anymore is Whatsapp. She has literally not downloaded any other apps, not even Facebook... The other has Whatsapp, Facebook (which wasn't an issue at the time of her asking me for advice), and Instagram, that's it. At the time of her purchase, she didn't have Instagram yet, so she could have easily used BB10 and had not missed out on anything she wished to use her phone for. I probably would have loaded Instagram on the phone for her when that time came as well. But hey, none of this means anything. There isn't a single person in this universe that makes decisions based on fitting in, people don't buy clothes or anything based on what's popular, people don't get haircuts based on what's trending, none of those things ever happen, that's crazy talk... Lol

Last edited by slagman5; 08-21-16 at 11:17 PM.
    08-21-16 11:04 PM
    BB10's development already ended 20 months ago, and the developers reassigned or laid off.

BB10's support will continue through early next year, via the 2 security updates promised. How useful it will still be by then is a big question mark, though, as what little third-party support BB10 ever had is fading fast, and the Android Runtime is forever stuck at v4.3 and quickly becoming obsolete.
    A shame, think this is big bad google holding them back though as even the fire phone by Amazon was released with 4.3 so they must of put something in writing for kit-kat and above or stopped making deals! Now they are moving very fast with newer version which are starting to look strangely more familiar to BB10's swipe gestures of, well, BB10! I hate google..

I wish they would bring back some of that money QNX is making off of the automobile industry to dump it into their mobile OS platform although obviously has to be something holding that back as to not be a wise business move or possibly impossible if google won't allow it!

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    08-21-16 11:30 PM
    As anyone had access to the beta, and we did a lot of damage to this unit, it stuck after the "Blackberry" logo, the official 10.3.3 can only order! Therefore, ought at least to be issued rapidly to use!
    08-25-16 10:17 AM
    To me, the more choices the consumer has, the better. I don't want just two OS choices in the world. We could frankly use more than the choices we do have. Competition would keep raising the bar.

Just my opinion.

I like my coffee  BlackBerry� black! What?
    blackmass and slagman5 like this.
    08-26-16 09:08 AM
    I wish BB10 would have taken off the way it was supposed to. To only have two major OS's on the market is terrible. The more choices we have, the more we get as consumers.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2876 
    slagman5 likes this.
    08-26-16 11:22 AM
    That's funny, because most everyone I know regularly mocks my use of a Blackberry. That's ok, I make fun of their pathetic Home button-centric OS too.
    I've got no "insecurity" about my choice of phone.
    08-26-16 12:34 PM
    To me, the more choices the consumer has, the better. I don't want just two OS choices in the world. We could frankly use more than the choices we do have. Competition would keep raising the bar.

Just my opinion.

I like my coffee  BlackBerry� black! What?
    Haha, raising the "bar"... #BB10

Posted via CB10
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    08-26-16 05:00 PM
    I'm not sure I understand what you're "hoping for", but BB10 will receive at least two more minor updates (10.3.3 soon and 10.3.4 next year).

That will probably be the end. But the devices should continue to work for some time after.

PRIV STV100-1/AAF960 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG053 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    Thanks for the clarification.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    08-26-16 07:22 PM
    Damn, how many apps do you people need? Get a life!

Posted via CB10
    ice777, hellomoto921 and cman5 like this.
    08-26-16 09:29 PM
    That's funny, because most everyone I know regularly mocks my use of a Blackberry. That's ok, I make fun of their pathetic Home button-centric OS too.
    I've got no "insecurity" about my choice of phone.
    You're hallucinating the same way I have been obviously... Remember that nobody buys things based on trends either. If you know someone who did, you must have dreamt the entire thing up like I have. These collective hallucinations are crazy...

KAM1138 likes this.
    08-26-16 11:51 PM
    You're hallucinating the same way I have been obviously... Remember that nobody buys things based on trends either. If you know someone who did, you must have dreamt the entire thing up like I have. These collective hallucinations are crazy...

Yeah, so crazy how my actual experiences are so off-base and really mean something else, because someone says so.

Perhaps I just associate with older people who are aware of Blackberry.

KAM
    08-29-16 09:44 AM
    Funny, when at play or business, we never talk about each other's phones. Bread makers, sometimes.
    08-29-16 05:40 PM
    prob a post unto itself here- but the DTEK or any other blackberry android is, at the very most, slightly more secure than a stock android device from another OEM. Security, though, is not privacy. The DTEK may more securely transmit your information to google, but it's not private. Note here, also, the direction windows 10 is going, ie signing in with an outlook/ MS acct.

The only private phones would be CM, BB10 and this Copperhead OS that I recently read about. BB10, of course, would allow BB to take the place of google, but I think we all can agree, that google is siphoning off info in a completely different kind of way, read advertising.

This is why I cannot stay with BB absent BB10; I'd just assume take google completely out of the equation, or limit them by only installing the play store (pico)- of course under a fake gmail acct....
    08-31-16 11:11 AM
    you can pretend that bb10 is superior to Android and you can write endless posts about it. at the same time I will do everything with my priv that bb10 cannot do and no...i am not talking about games but actual work. having two bb10 phones I can tell you straight that blackberry 10 cannot touch android in...productivity. android is way more productive than bb10 because apps make android more productive. if you like blackberry as I do and you want blackberry to keep releasing phones just get android based blackberry.
    As much as I like BlackBerry android, I have to disagree with you on android productivity vs BB10 Productivity. My passport is a way more organized phone than any android out there. I have a properly integrated file system instead of an 'app addon' file system, so all my documents, spreadsheets and powerpoints are filed neatly. Can you do that on android? Yes, but it's far more confusing. Everything in BB10 for that matter is tightly integrated, not segregated like in android. Multitasking is much faster on BB10, and it uses fewer resources as well. When I close an app on BB10 it actually closes, not minimizes like on android. I can task switch far quicker, I have a more fluid gesture based OS that feels natural, Battery life kills anything on android, the hub is still better on BB10 than android's version, and the list goes on. Not sure how you define productive, but taking more steps to do the same work isn't really productive. If you truly have any BB10 phones besides having an android BlackBerry then you probably don't know how to use them in relation to android. Sorry.

For the record, I'm still keeping my passport, but soon making the move to BlackBerry android for work purposes. There are admittedly a few android ported apps that no longer work on my passport that are essential to my job. Without them I cannot perform all of my daily tasks anymore, which makes me less productive in that sense.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman and nhatanh181 like this.
    08-31-16 03:55 PM
    Yeah, it will not receive proper upgrades in functionality. It's time to jump ship
    08-31-16 04:00 PM
    BB10's development already ended 20 months ago, and the developers reassigned or laid off.

BB10's support will continue through early next year, via the 2 security updates promised. How useful it will still be by then is a big question mark, though, as what little third-party support BB10 ever had is fading fast, and the Android Runtime is forever stuck at v4.3 and quickly becoming obsolete.
    Yes despite the fact the Passport silver still is the best BlackBerry to date. Sad it's end of life.

вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵяiv (STV100-3 Rogers Wireless)running Android 6.0.1
    09-24-16 11:07 AM
168 ... 4567