Now that BB is in the Android market, why can't they do the legwork to update the runtime for BB10? I've always felt that navigation and multitasking is superior on bb10, I really only like Android for some apps
    Because they are not permitted to do so by the OHA.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    08-15-16 06:05 PM
    This has been asked dozens of times.
    08-15-16 10:36 PM
    People saying there will be two more update, but the next update is like the last playbook update. Nothing and we all know what they promise more.

Without updating android runtime BBM 10 is dead and don't see why BlackBerry make there own android os with there own store. Get all good apps in blackberry world. Make fake google play app inside for apps wanted and get next to wifi direct, miracast also chromecast buildin for BB-droid

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 12:07 AM
    People saying there will be two more update, but the next update is like the last playbook update. Nothing and we all know what they promise more.

Without updating android runtime BBM 10 is dead and don't see why BlackBerry make there own android os with there own store. Get all good apps in blackberry world. Make fake google play app inside for apps wanted and get next to wifi direct, miracast also chromecast buildin for BB-droid

Posted via CB10
    Bb10 is already dead... BlackBerry won't come out and say it directly that ' We re done with BB10, and we won't support it anymore' they will never say it unless they have the last piece of bb10 device. They will keep fooling all the customers by saying time to time about their commitment to bb10 and quite honestly BlackBerry should stop lying it. Blend was a great software but as they turned their ship to Android they left BB10.
    They will support BB10 but with thousand cuts.

Posted via CB10
    sidtek50 and CmdrStraker like this.
    08-16-16 02:31 AM
    I would not worry about it, as stated many times..............reports of my death have been premature. When it happens, then move on if you enjoy the OS than let the good times roll.
    Well said .
    anon(9742832) and Jrox74 like this.
    08-16-16 03:24 AM
    I think BB10 is dead despite what blackberry say. In fact, they'd be better telling the truth and really pushing their android phones. I think once they focus on Android instead of over seeing two difference OS's, things will start to improve for themselves and their customer base.
    08-16-16 05:41 AM
    I think BB10 is dead despite what blackberry say. In fact, they'd be better telling the truth and really pushing their android phones. I think once they focus on Android instead of over seeing two difference OS's, things will start to improve for themselves and their customer base.
    Having fewer choices in anything will never be "better" for the customer base. It'll be better for the companies making money off of them, but that's it.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-16-16 10:42 AM
    Having fewer choices in anything will never be "better" for the customer base. It'll be better for the companies making money off of them, but that's it.

But people (the masses) don't want BB10. I have only purchased a Blackberry because they were finally moving to android and bringing their security knowledge and expertise to the OS. Blackberry have done a great job improving android and making it their own. If they keep doing this and make good quality handsets with good battery life, they can remain in the phone business. It's a buyer's market right now and as a business they can only do what the customer base wants.
    jas1978 and Rui Caldeira like this.
    08-16-16 11:02 AM
    No.

I like my coffee  BlackBerry� black! What?
    bigjman likes this.
    08-16-16 11:22 AM
    BB10 is gonna end up like Nokia b4 windows

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 01:15 PM
    If you watch the online tech reviews and the type of asinine things they find "revolutionary" you know anything of actual quality, whether it be in hardware or software, will be for nothing - aka BlackBerry.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    08-16-16 01:40 PM
    But people (the masses) don't want BB10. I have only purchased a Blackberry because they were finally moving to android and bringing their security knowledge and expertise to the OS. Blackberry have done a great job improving android and making it their own. If they keep doing this and make good quality handsets with good battery life, they can remain in the phone business. It's a buyer's market right now and as a business they can only do what the customer base wants.
    The masses are easily manipulated and care mainly about being with whatever is considered popular or cool. Not accusing you of doing so, but I get asked for advice on tech a lot (no, I do not recommend BB to everyone, only those who tell me they must have a pkb since there are no other choices), and I remember when a lot of people, while late to the game, wanted to finally get a smartphone would ask me for advice. The ones that told me they would prefer a pkb, I would tell them the only choice for that really is BB. Only one ended up buying a BB, the rest all ended up buying an all-glass slab, always Samsung or Apple. When I ask why they changed their mind about the keyboard, can you guess what their response was 100% of the time?

BB didn't have apps? Nope.

BB phones had inferior specs? Nope.

BB phones didn't have features they liked? Nope.

The screens on the BB phones were not good enough? Nope.

All of those people who told me they absolutely wanted a pkb, but then ended up with a Samsung or Apple told me they bought that because the salesperson told them that was what's popular among other people. Yep, the mere fact that it would help them fit in was enough for them to drop all of their preconceived desires in their first smartphone...

Now I know this is an anecdotal argument, but so many times when people see me with a BB, the first words of ridicule out of their ignorant mouths is about how nobody else has one. Really? Why the F would I care about that? I don't need reassurance through fitting in... So either that's a pretty widespread mentality or there's something in the water here...

Not to mention, BB10 allowed people to view their facebook notifications without opening a FB app. This bypasses their advertising and data-mining through the app. It's well known that Facebook manipulates the trending list and what appears on people's timelines, and it's been proven that they have been able to manipulate opinions about many things that way. And they own Whatsapp, so they pull support for that as well. Google owns Youtube, and because BB10 would allow you to play YT videos in the background without a Red subscription, they do what they have to do to try to sway people away from BB10. You think this is unlikely? Look at how Google treats even their own community. They actively remove 3rd party apps that allow background playing of YT videos.

So I guess that's what we all want, companies that put advertising and data-mining revenue over their users... These corporations have actively made sure that potential competitors never get off the launchpad, and the consumers are allowing it to happen... Pretty sad...

I'm not at all saying that everyone should use BB10, but can you give me actual reasons why BB10 is an inferior OS? And before you say lack of apps, you know that's circular reasoning right? The companies claim they don't make apps because there's a lack of users. Then it is claimed it has a lack of users due to lack of apps. You ever wonder why these companies didn't make the apps in the first place? They don't want another company in the mix. The fewer the better for them. Had they made apps for BB10 and the consumers still didn't buy it (and if BB would just spend some money to advertise for crying out loud), then I would understand the companies pulling support for the platform, but they pretty much pushed for its demise from the beginning.

Jrox74, Hazo, Mattster723 and 2 others like this.
    08-16-16 02:44 PM
    The masses are easily manipulated and care mainly about being with whatever is considered popular or cool. Not accusing you of doing so, but I get asked for advice on tech a lot (no, I do not recommend BB to everyone, only those who tell me they must have a pkb since there are no other choices), and I remember when a lot of people, while late to the game, wanted to finally get a smartphone would ask me for advice. The ones that told me they would prefer a pkb, I would tell them the only choice for that really is BB. Only one ended up buying a BB, the rest all ended up buying an all-glass slab, always Samsung or Apple. When I ask why they changed their mind about the keyboard, can you guess what their response was 100% of the time?

All of those people who told me they absolutely wanted a pkb, but then ended up with a Samsung or Apple told me they bought that because the salesperson told them that was what's popular among other people. Yep, the mere fact that it would help them fit in was enough for them to drop all of their preconceived desires in their first smartphone...

Now I know this is an anecdotal argument, but so many times when people see me with a BB, the first words of ridicule out of their ignorant mouths is about how nobody else has one. Really? Why the F would I care about that? I don't need reassurance through fitting in... So either that's a pretty widespread mentality or there's something in the water here...

Not to mention, BB10 allowed people to view their facebook notifications without opening a FB app. This bypasses their advertising and data-mining through the app. It's well known that Facebook manipulates the trending list and what appears on people's timelines, and it's been proven that they have been able to manipulate opinions about many things that way. And they own Whatsapp, so they pull support for that as well. Google owns Youtube, and because BB10 would allow you to play YT videos in the background without a Red subscription, they do what they have to do to try to sway people away from BB10. You think this is unlikely? Look at how Google treats even their own community. They actively remove 3rd party apps that allow background playing of YT videos.

So I guess that's what we all want, companies that put advertising and data-mining revenue over their users... These corporations have actively made sure that potential competitors never get off the launchpad, and the consumers are allowing it to happen... Pretty sad...

I'm not at all saying that everyone should use BB10, but can you give me actual reasons why BB10 is an inferior OS? And before you say lack of apps, you know that's circular reasoning right? The companies claim they don't make apps because there's a lack of users. Then it is claimed it has a lack of users due to lack of apps. You ever wonder why these companies didn't make the apps in the first place? They don't want another company in the mix. The fewer the better for them. Had they made apps for BB10 and the consumers still didn't buy it (and if BB would just spend some money to advertise for crying out loud), then I would understand the companies pulling support for the platform, but they pretty much pushed for its demise from the beginning.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am very much pro privacy and the DTEK50 (I hope) will help me achieve that more than the average android. It angers me that the Web has become a mass of advertising. Before Google took a hold of YouTube, there was little to no ads. You were uninterrupted. It was outstanding. Google ruined YouTube by turning it into ad-city (imho). But that's what Google do. They sell data that they've mined, often without the end user even knowing, and use their wealth to acquire other companies. I almost wish AOSP was lead by someone else. But who? Canonical have well and truly destroyed Ubuntu mobile to the point where it's not even really ready to market. I could go on but I think we'd probably agree for the most part.
    Jrox74 and cman5 like this.
    08-16-16 04:16 PM

You sir have just nailed it hats off

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 04:47 PM

I do not think you do understand the point. it is not whether BB10 is inferior or superior to Android. it is rather about whether it is more useful than android. the answer to it no it is not more useful than android. in fact android blows bb10 out of the water in terms of usefulness. what makes smartphone smart are apps and bb10 is really stupid here.

people pick phones because they have easy access to apps that make their life easier so for me

if I want to have banking app than I just download it on my phone. BB10 not so much if I want to use phone for my gym membership I use my phone. BB10 not so much
    if I want to listen to music I just use my phone
    bb10 not so much
    if I want to use chrome on my phone I just pull my phone. bb10 not so much
    If I want to book vacation I use my phone. bb10 not so much

sure you can sideload those apps but which normal consumer would do that

bb10 failed because it was painful to use due to lack of apps in day to day life.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    08-16-16 05:20 PM
    I hope blackberry can sell dtek license to samsung phones. It will be like perfect marriage!
    08-16-16 05:41 PM
    I do not think you do understand the point. it is not whether BB10 is inferior or superior to Android. it is rather about whether it is more useful than android. the answer to it no it is not more useful than android. in fact android blows bb10 out of the water in terms of usefulness. what makes smartphone smart are apps and bb10 is really stupid here.

people pick phones because they have easy access to apps that make their life easier so for me

if I want to have banking app than I just download it on my phone. BB10 not so much if I want to use phone for my gym membership I use my phone. BB10 not so much
    if I want to listen to music I just use my phone
    bb10 not so much
    if I want to use chrome on my phone I just pull my phone. bb10 not so much
    If I want to book vacation I use my phone. bb10 not so much

sure you can sideload those apps but which normal consumer would do that

bb10 failed because it was painful to use due to lack of apps in day to day life.
    I understand I typed a lot and you likely didn't get to the part where I addressed apps before you decided to chime in with your two cents... So rather than repeat myself, let me address something new. You just said that a smartphone is defined by apps. So by your definition the first iphone wasn't a smartphone. You agree with that right? You realize that the iphone originally didn't support downloading of more apps than it came with right? So ok, based on that, your official opinion is that iphone 1 wasn't a smartphone.

And just to humor you, yes, apps are important now, so let's "revise" what you said, and let's say smartphones are defined as phones capable of downloading and running apps. And regarding that, the lack of apps was already addressed in my comment. I recommend you read it first and then reply again.

No apps because no users No users because no apps

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

08-16-16 06:41 PM
    I understand I typed a lot and you likely didn't get to the part where I addressed apps before you decided to chime in with your two cents... So rather than repeat myself, let me address something new. You just said that a smartphone is defined by apps. So by your definition the first iphone wasn't a smartphone. You agree with that right? You realize that the iphone originally didn't support downloading of more apps than it came with right? So ok, based on that, your official opinion is that iphone 1 wasn't a smartphone.

And just to humor you, yes, apps are important now, so let's "revise" what you said, and let's say smartphones are defined as phones capable of downloading and running apps. And regarding that, the lack of apps was already addressed in my comment. I recommend you read it first and then reply again.

No apps because no users No users because no apps

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

who cares about first iphone and who cares about chicken or the egg. you can spin it anyway you want. it does not matter. apps make smartphone a smartphone. you can pretend that bb10 is superior to Android and you can write endless posts about it. at the same time I will do everything with my priv that bb10 cannot do and no...i am not talking about games but actual work. having two bb10 phones I can tell you straight that blackberry 10 cannot touch android in...productivity. android is way more productive than bb10 because apps make android more productive. if you like blackberry as I do and you want blackberry to keep releasing phones just get android based blackberry.
    sidtek50 and TgeekB like this.
    08-16-16 07:07 PM
    The masses are easily manipulated and care mainly about being with whatever is considered popular or cool.
    Not sure that's quite fair or accurate. You could say that BB users are contrarians who are themselves just trying to be cool by choosing these obscure things that most people don't use. Both statements are gross generalizations, and quite unfair IMO.

You made a leap there that isn't reasonable. Think back to the old days of videotape. Most people chose VHS decks for their homes. Was it because they feared being ostracized by their friends and neighbors? I don't think so. I think it's because if you walked into a video store back then you would find hundreds of movies on VHS, and maybe (maybe!) one small shelf in the back corner with Betamax movies. Maybe 10 Betamax movies you had already seen, and even that went away pretty quickly.

Some people cared about the quality difference. Most people just wanted the much wider selection of movies and made the totally rational choice in that situation and went with VHS (because it was the popular choice)

The companies claim they don't make apps because there's a lack of users. Then it is claimed it has a lack of users due to lack of apps. You ever wonder why these companies didn't make the apps in the first place? They don't want another company in the mix.
    BlackBerry came to us and said we could make the same apps we have on Android and iOS, except this time for a tiny population of users. What would have been the point? How could we have ever justified the expense of maintenance alone?

There was not one single feature that we could have made on BB10 that we didn't already have on Android. At best, the app would have been feature identical to Android. So why bother? We're not a charity intended to help the poor disadvantaged operating systems find their place in the world.

We also don't place ATM's in tiny towns or in the middle of cornfields on the off chance someone may walk buy it someday. We put ATMs where we have many customers and where they will be used. If an ATM is not seeing enough traffic, we remove it. Same logic applies to where we place our apps.
    TgeekB, Jerry A and Ronindan like this.
    08-16-16 07:25 PM
    Now that BB is in the Android market, why can't they do the legwork to update the runtime for BB10? I've always felt that navigation and multitasking is superior on bb10, I really only like Android for some apps
    Google probably told them they couldn't update the runtime. They probably can't be both all android and have phones that can leverage the runtime.

Priv running 6.0.1 on TMO
    08-16-16 08:40 PM
    I bought a classic when they came out and gave up my z10(which I'm back to using) I keep looking at the dtek but he Z10 is honestly the biggest I can handle. There is not another phone on the market that I can one hand easily and this is to BlackBerry's detriment. I can't be the only one that thinks that all of these new phones are WAY too Big. I don't want to hold a tablet to my ear. Am I taking crazy pills?

Posted via CB10
    08-16-16 10:57 PM
    Yep, the big slab phones are too big. I dont need apps I dont have, I can stream music or download it, download and/or stream videos, browse, take pictures, send anybody anything, get texts and emails, and not have to worry about bloatware sucking my data (and my wallet!) dry, nor da viruses, or forced installation of unwanted apps.

And I can switch Blackberrys according to my mood, or atnt's messing with my simcard so I have to switch phones, not having to use my carrier for my contacts, or keep my music in the cloud, or have my camera being used by my apps (and not by me), lots of free internet music with apps that CAN stream them, or using the 'desktop' version of a website for whenever that works better than an app, no crashing app apologies from google and android, no data being used when I am not using it, the Hub ... I hope it's not the end, but if it is, I got enough BlackBerrys to last me a Little While.
    cman5 likes this.
    08-16-16 11:27 PM
    Whoa there. Hello BlackBerry friend. What do you mean by productivity? Facebook, email, sms, mms, camera, twitter, calendar? I do everything with all of my present and previous BlackBerrys because of the hub and letting many apps run at the same time. My wife has an iPhone and I say getting back and forth around it is such a pain. I have Google store on my Classic and I don't understand the lack of apps argument. You have android, BlackBerry and Google. How is that not enough. The main productivity feature of any phone is communication. BlackBerry Does that brilliantly. Too bad it's going by the wayside but like it's said elsewhere, it's because of politics not utility. BlackBerry rocks. Too bad for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Rui Caldeira likes this.
    08-17-16 12:04 AM
    Bb10 is awesome but it is indeed dead. As I am using wechat and whatsapp a lot everyday, I am moving to a BlackBerry key board android phone that will come out next year.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-16 03:00 AM
    who cares about first iphone and who cares about chicken or the egg. you can spin it anyway you want. it does not matter. apps make smartphone a smartphone. you can pretend that bb10 is superior to Android and you can write endless posts about it. at the same time I will do everything with my priv that bb10 cannot do and no...i am not talking about games but actual work. having two bb10 phones I can tell you straight that blackberry 10 cannot touch android in...productivity. android is way more productive than bb10 because apps make android more productive. if you like blackberry as I do and you want blackberry to keep releasing phones just get android based blackberry.
    I don't pretend anything is superior to anything. It offers a different experience that has a different focus. Likes of you are the ones trying to argue that one is inferior to another. So the burden of proof is on you. And of course when it doesn't fit your argument, the "who cares." But just so we're clear, the first iphone wasn't a smartphone according to you. I think that will give a good basis for your credibility from here on out. Make of it what you will. :-)

cman5 likes this.
    08-17-16 12:28 PM
168 1234 ...