I am looking at getting a dtek50 for my girlfriend. She is currently on a z30 that I gave her. She likes the battery life on the z30, but wants android for some apps. I would like to get her a Dtek60, but it is hard to justify the 60, when the you could get two dtek50s for the price of one dtek 60.

Her usage is basically email, texting, and calling, while having the phone connected to the pebble watch. My biggest worry is the small battery and the mid range 617 processor that is getting old.

How is the battery life with the dtek50? Is it comparable to the z30? Other than that, how is the processor for the basic usage like browsing, emailing, and texting? Any lags in those usages?
    05-13-17 09:26 PM
    Well, in all honesty, I think if the battery is her (your) main concern, she will be disappointed.

The 617 processor works just fine. I've been using mine since it was released and I am yet to come across any task which the phone couldn't handle. The processor is fine.

The battery, on the other hand, is a different story. Even if she only uses it for email, texting, calling, syncing Pebble, and maybe a few other apps, she is likely going to have to charge it twice a day. I leave the house at 7:30 every morning with 100% battery and I have to charge it again around 5 o'clock, almost every day.

Everything else though, I think the transition from Z30 to DTEK50 will be smooth, she will most likely be pleasantly surprised by DTEK50 and Android.
    skstrials likes this.
    05-14-17 06:49 AM
    I bought one as a transition from my BlackBerry Classic so I could wait out a price drop of K1. I'm very happy with the device, it runs smooth and the battery life is pretty decent. It gets me through the day easily with my usage pattern. I would say I'm a moderate user, 5-15 calls a day, browsing emails texts, some BBM, viber and some music while in a bus in and out of work...
    Think that any user like me would be happy with this phone. It's also light but durable, kind of a best buy for the price for me.
    I usually charge it in the morning while I'm with my daughter and getting ready for work and it's around 20% of battery. Standby is pretty amazing IMHO, while I'm not touching the phone i.e. during the night.
    05-14-17 07:38 AM
    To add that I did a bit of optimising of Google services, tracking, cards, history and suggestions, as I don't want them anyway. It does make a small but noticeable difference in battery life.
    Also waiting for my fast charger to arrive so I could charge it in under an hour in the morning ;-)
    05-14-17 07:52 AM
    I think the 50 would be fine for your gf with her medium daily usage. The kicker in all this is her Pebble watch being used by the phone all day. Maybe kind of analogous to having wifi on all day. I have noticed over the time that I've had my DTEK50 that wifi seems to drain the battery slightly more than on BB10 but as others have said it does have great standby time. You'll just have to get one and see for yourself. All in all I've been very pleased with my 50 since launch, never needed to use a charger during the day and a charge always gets me through the day.
    skstrials likes this.
    05-14-17 09:11 AM
    I think the battery is the weakest link on my DTEK50. Everything else would serve her purpose, but I am thinking the battery will frustrate her as it frustrates me and I am a very low user of apps, no social media on the phone, no games.
    05-14-17 10:35 PM
    Left field here, but could you not just down load the apk files for the Google play store and keep the Z30?

I ran them on my classic, PP and leap with no problems.

There here on the site somewhere.
    05-16-17 01:24 PM
    Left field here, but could you not just down load the apk files for the Google play store and keep the Z30?

I ran them on my classic, PP and leap with no problems.

There here on the site somewhere.
    There's no guarantee that the app/s she uses would run smoothly. BB10 has an antiquated Android runtime.
    05-16-17 06:33 PM
    That's certainly true, but could be worth a shot. However nothing beats the new phone in your hand moment.
    05-17-17 05:13 AM
    I also went from a Z30 to a Dtek50. It took me a while to get used to Android, but I like it now.
    Sorry, but no matter how I try to optimize it, the battery does not compare to the Z30. I would compare it to the Z10. The Z10 would have been my favorite if the battery had been better.

In any case, if she doesn't mind topping it off before you go out to dinner, it's a very good phone.

I'm wondering, once the Keyone comes out, will the price of the 60 come down?
    05-21-17 07:09 PM