OK, Dtek50, battery level going down like the titanic, used to last at least a day or so, now, looses 70% just being idle. (also gets warn too!) goes from 97% to 15% left idle all day..........
    Will a 'soft' reset (hold power button for 12 seconds) leave the files and data untouched?
    Know the 30 second option (hard reset) does a factory reset, and wipes everything.
    Don't really want the hassle of starting from scratch again, as is only used as a backup phone...
    09-03-20 01:48 PM
    OK, Dtek50, battery level going down like the titanic, used to last at least a day or so, now, looses 70% just being idle. (also gets warn too!) goes from 97% to 15% left idle all day..........
    Will a 'soft' reset (hold power button for 12 seconds) leave the files and data untouched?
    Know the 30 second option (hard reset) does a factory reset, and wipes everything.
    Don't really want the hassle of starting from scratch again, as is only used as a backup phone...
    Clear cache and go directly to holding power button 32 seconds.
    This DOES NOT wipe the device.
    No data loss whatsoever.
    Last edited by Rico4you; 09-03-20 at 02:28 PM.
    09-03-20 01:50 PM
    I thought you got rid of that DTEK long ago
    09-03-20 02:25 PM
    A number of my friends replaced their batteries after about a year and a half of use, and they were back to normal.
    09-03-20 02:31 PM
    I thought you got rid of that DTEK long ago
    Never got rid if it, just moved to a nokia 7plus, as Dtek was playing up, refusing to move off off Edge signal...
    Been using it occasionally on wi-fi, and for odd bits and pieces. Loathe to 'dump' it, (still have a Z10, 9800, 9810, 8310 and an 8700g) the Dtek and the 8310 still work, (sort of!) but the others have croaked it!!
    09-03-20 02:44 PM
    Clear cache and go directly to holding power button 32 seconds.
    This DOES NOT wipe the device.
    No data loss whatsoever.
    Hmm, according to Blackberry, a 12 sec reset is a 'soft' reset, and a 32 sec is a 'factory reset' (which removes everything)
    so assumed that the 12 sec didn't reset everything to factory settings, ie: new, out of box??
    09-03-20 02:47 PM
    A number of my friends replaced their batteries after about a year and a half of use, and they were back to normal.
    Having 'moved on' from the Dtek because it refused to find any other signal than 'edge' despite a couple of factory resets, seems a bit of a backward step to buy/install a battery on a 4 year old phone, that no longer gets updates of any sort. (The nokia 7+ I moved on too, is a nice piece of kit, has gone from Oreo up to 10, and gets reasonale updates schedule too..) Dtek is just a 'plaything' now, sadly.....
    09-03-20 02:51 PM
    Hmm, according to Blackberry, a 12 sec reset is a 'soft' reset, and a 32 sec is a 'factory reset' (which removes everything)
    so assumed that the 12 sec didn't reset everything to factory settings, ie: new, out of box??
    I have done several 32 second reboots across few of my BBAndroid hardware recently. It doesn't factory reset. I'd call it a hard reboot at most.
    09-03-20 04:46 PM
    There is no physical method to do a factory reset - it has to be done from settings.
    09-03-20 04:49 PM
    OK, so have done the 32 sec reset, and will see how the battery lasts now.
    Strange that the official BB website states 32sec is a hard reset, and 'resets the phone to factory settings'
    Have now noticed that there is a 'factory reset' option in the ' backup and reset' tab in 'settings' menu.
    Think if the reset doesn't do the trick, won't bother replacing battery, as phone is only a spare for backups...
    09-04-20 04:17 AM
    OK, so have done the 32 sec reset, and will see how the battery lasts now.
    Strange that the official BB website states 32sec is a hard reset, and 'resets the phone to factory settings'
    Have now noticed that there is a 'factory reset' option in the ' backup and reset' tab in 'settings' menu.
    Think if the reset doesn't do the trick, won't bother replacing battery, as phone is only a spare for backups...
    http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...nguage=English

"To perform a hard reset on BlackBerry powered by Android smartphone:

Note: If the BlackBerry powered by Android smartphone will not power up then perform this hard reset. (This is the equivalent to a battery pull)

Press and continue to hold the Power key for 32 seconds."
    09-04-20 07:54 AM
    OK, so, update...initial 32 sec reboot made no difference whatsoever, so, tried clearing the browser cache, and the apps cache, then 32 sec reboot.
    Still no change, battery level drops like a stone, even when phone is idle, (have also tried turning off wi-fi, and Bluetooth, but these were always on anyway, even when battery lasted over a day), and no difference, phone gets warm, battery goes from 90% at 8am, and is down to less than 20% by 2pm, even if not used..
    think this is the end, as can't be bothered to faff around with getting a new battery, and then fitting it. Not worth the time and effort for a spare phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-07-20 02:03 PM
    OK, so, update...initial 32 sec reboot made no difference whatsoever, so, tried clearing the browser cache, and the apps cache, then 32 sec reboot.
    Still no change, battery level drops like a stone, even when phone is idle, (have also tried turning off wi-fi, and Bluetooth, but these were always on anyway, even when battery lasted over a day), and no difference, phone gets warm, battery goes from 90% at 8am, and is down to less than 20% by 2pm, even if not used..
    think this is the end, as can't be bothered to faff around with getting a new battery, and then fitting it. Not worth the time and effort for a spare phone.
    @ 15 dollars to play around? Had I still owned mine (gave mine to a friend for his young daughter in Dec '18) I would have done it by now. Trying to coax my buddy in Germany to now do so. Battery replacement in these looks quite easy. (I tinkered with 3 different Samsung Tab Pro's my kids and wife used for a while and replaced batteries and older USB ports. Those things although lacking support then worked like new for all the things my kids used their tablets for)

One area the DTEK 50 was very good at was sound. Stereo sound on that device was surprisingly good. I also thought the LCD screen was good. Too bad the OS support sucked and it never moved off Marshmallow. So much wasted hardware in the mobile world.
    11-23-20 10:30 AM
    @ 15 dollars to play around? Had I still owned mine (gave mine to a friend for his young daughter in Dec '18) I would have done it by now. Trying to coax my buddy in Germany to now do so. Battery replacement in these looks quite easy. (I tinkered with 3 different Samsung Tab Pro's my kids and wife used for a while and replaced batteries and older USB ports. Those things although lacking support then worked like new for all the things my kids used their tablets for)

One area the DTEK 50 was very good at was sound. Stereo sound on that device was surprisingly good. I also thought the LCD screen was good. Too bad the OS support sucked and it never moved off Marshmallow. So much wasted hardware in the mobile world.
    Things change across the board.... WiFi, Bluetooth, RAM & Storage along with Processors and Graphics.

As hardware progresses, the OS changes to utilize it and put more demand on the hardware... and developers of 3rd party app work to better utilize the power of the newest hardware as well. Grandkids have some iPad Mini that they got five years ago. Updates ended for these, but they are rather sluggish if you are use to using a newer Apple device. I even did a Factory Reset on one to see if I'd want to use it. But iOS 12 is very different from iOS 14 and the speed is terrible compared to my three year old XR.

I suspect the DTEK 50 would struggle to run Android 11 and many of today's apps..... Have no idea how 16GB of Storage would work - assume SD Adopted Storage is still possible? But again a performance roadblock.

My guess with 5G, Wi-Fi AX (6), Bluetooth... newer storage and ram protocols. Today's flagship phone might extend how long smartphones can be used without any usability impairment. But for the last 15 years, hardware has just changed to rapidly every three or four year to allow for device to "really" be usable as they were intended.

(Yes I know some still rock their PlayBooks, or love BBOS and BB10.... )
    11-23-20 11:35 AM
    Things change across the board.... WiFi, Bluetooth, RAM & Storage along with Processors and Graphics.

As hardware progresses, the OS changes to utilize it and put more demand on the hardware... and developers of 3rd party app work to better utilize the power of the newest hardware as well. Grandkids have some iPad Mini that they got five years ago. Updates ended for these, but they are rather sluggish if you are use to using a newer Apple device. I even did a Factory Reset on one to see if I'd want to use it. But iOS 12 is very different from iOS 14 and the speed is terrible compared to my three year old XR.

I suspect the DTEK 50 would struggle to run Android 11 and many of today's apps..... Have no idea how 16GB of Storage would work - assume SD Adopted Storage is still possible? But again a performance roadblock.

My guess with 5G, Wi-Fi AX (6), Bluetooth... newer storage and ram protocols. Today's flagship phone might extend how long smartphones can be used without any usability impairment. But for the last 15 years, hardware has just changed to rapidly every three or four year to allow for device to "really" be usable as they were intended.

(Yes I know some still rock their PlayBooks, or love BBOS and BB10.... )
    I forgot about the deplorable 16GB of storage. The DTEK ran fine on Marshmallow and could have easily handled Nougat but it matters not now.

Probably right that any with this device just do a factory reset and recycle
    11-23-20 02:49 PM