Hi everybody.

I have been using a Blackberryy Dtek50 for almost two years now and i'm very happy with the phone. However, in the past two months something strange started happening. It started shutting down after I take a photo (of sunsets, believe it or not; the 3 times it happened that's what I was photographing!). In the three cases, the battery charge was at least 40% or a bit less. It just shuts down, and when I try to switch it back on, it seems like it boots up, but then when the Android logo comes up, it dies. Funny thing is, when I get to charge it, it shows it has 1% and then, in a second, it jumps to, like today, 52%!!! How can it be? This is really, really strange. The three times it happend, I was on my bike, with phone on handlebar attached with a Quad Lock, was taking a photo of the sunset (i think that is just a weird concidence), and when I plugged it back in, it jumped from 1% to 50% or the charge it had before it shut down.

Has anybody experience this or heard of this very, very strange issue?
    11-18-18 12:15 PM
    Hi everybody.

I have been using a Blackberryy Dtek50 for almost two years now and i'm very happy with the phone. However, in the past two months something strange started happening. It started shutting down after I take a photo (of sunsets, believe it or not; the 3 times it happened that's what I was photographing!). In the three cases, the battery charge was at least 40% or a bit less. It just shuts down, and when I try to switch it back on, it seems like it boots up, but then when the Android logo comes up, it dies. Funny thing is, when I get to charge it, it shows it has 1% and then, in a second, it jumps to, like today, 52%!!! How can it be? This is really, really strange. The three times it happend, I was on my bike, with phone on handlebar attached with a Quad Lock, was taking a photo of the sunset (i think that is just a weird concidence), and when I plugged it back in, it jumped from 1% to 50% or the charge it had before it shut down.

Time to replace the battery.
    11-18-18 01:14 PM
    Hi everybody.

Dtek 50 is retired soon . Hahaha
    11-19-18 09:52 AM
    What's so funny about my phone being "retired" ? It's a shame as it's sold at a very affordable price.
    01-08-19 02:30 PM
    mycfavisit survey
    Hi everybody.

Facing the same problem, please help me.
    Last edited by Gerard_GFG; 11-25-19 at 05:09 AM.
    11-24-19 05:11 AM
    Replace the battery
    11-24-19 07:34 AM
    You are going to have to replace the battery, or, at this stage, you might have to get a new phone. That's what I had to do eventually, when my old DTek50 wouldn't boot up unless it was plugged in.
    11-25-19 02:35 AM
    Hi everybody.

Same thing happened to me.

It is not a battery issue or the charging port issue.

You have to get a new mainboard.

But you can get a new Dtek50 for real cheap on EBay so no sense in trying to fix what you have.
    11-30-19 10:43 AM
    Same thing happened to me.

It is not a battery issue or the charging port issue.

You have to get a new mainboard.

But you can get a new Dtek50 for real cheap on EBay so no sense in trying to fix what you have.
    I did get one, second and from work a few months ago, and now it's happening again!! Yesterday the first time. I know I can get a brand new one very cheap, but I'm either doing something wrong or this devices came with a fault. Would love to get a Key2, but they are quite pricey!
    11-30-19 01:00 PM
    I did get one, second and from work a few months ago, and now it's happening again!! Yesterday the first time. I know I can get a brand new one very cheap, but I'm either doing something wrong or this devices came with a fault. Would love to get a Key2, but they are quite pricey!
    If you could find a Keyone 4gb, it is also a good option too. I bought mine used from Ebay then switched the housing to new, so it looks like new now.

But yeah, the Dtek50 never had a good dependability it seems.
    11-30-19 01:41 PM
    If you have two with same problem, try a new battery in one. Battery replacement is so common in DTEK line. Wasn’t the best optimized device running the hub.
    11-30-19 08:54 PM
    If you have two with same problem, try a new battery in one. Battery replacement is so common in DTEK line. Wasn’t the best optimized device running the hub.
    That would have been the first thing I did if I could remove the back cover like with the Q10, and if batteries were easier to come by. Here in the UK where I live it's not that easy. Unfortunately for me. BlackBerry is not very popular here.

I miss the Q10!
    12-01-19 05:25 AM
    That would have been the first thing I did if I could remove the back cover like with the Q10, and if batteries were easier to come by. Here in the UK where I live it's not that easy. Unfortunately for me. BlackBerry is not very popular here.

I miss the Q10!
    The DTEK models are just rebadged Alcatel hardware running BBAndroid instead of regular Basic Android so repair shops can do this simple repair.

You can save a few bucks if you order the battery yourself and bring to a repair shop for the labor only. Just search online for Alcatel Idol 4 battery.

Here’s one link but search what’s best for you...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CS-OTS605SL...UvbUpU13468438
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 12-01-19 at 08:44 AM.
    12-01-19 08:33 AM
    Thank you! I'll give it a try!
    12-02-19 02:33 AM