I am thinking about getting a dtek50, but I still think the price is a bit steep at $300, especially when I can get phones with a snapdragon 820 and a nougat for that price.

I was thinking of picking up an Idol 4 then subscribing to the BlackBerry services.

Would that give me the same experience?
    08-21-17 09:37 AM
    Not fully.... DETKs have a locked boot ROM and the DTEK app that isn't part of the subscription.

What "experience" are you looking for?

Personally I'd go with a phone that has Android "N" and probable will get Android "O"... that's not the DTEKs. As for the Apps... it's up to you if you really need them...
    sethr likes this.
    08-21-17 10:03 AM
    Not fully.... DETKs have a locked boot ROM and the DTEK app that isn't part of the subscription.

What "experience" are you looking for?

Personally I'd go with a phone that has Android "N" and probable will get Android "O"... that's not the DTEKs. As for the Apps... it's up to you if you really need them...
    What does that mean "N" and "O" ?
    08-21-17 05:50 PM
    What does that mean "N" and "O" ?
    Android N = Android 7.0 (Nougat)
    Android O = Android 8.0 (Oreo)

Both the DTEK50 and the Idol 4 are on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) right now, and Nougat on the Idol 4 is doubtful.

I am thinking about getting a dtek50, but I still think the price is a bit steep at $300, especially when I can get phones with a snapdragon 820 and a nougat for that price.

I was thinking of picking up an Idol 4 then subscribing to the BlackBerry services.

Frankly, you shouldn't get the Idol 4 or the DTEK50.

Anyway, between the Hub subscription and Cobalt's version, the BB app suite can be used on pretty much any Android phone.
    sethr likes this.
    08-21-17 05:55 PM
    You are better off getting a Moto G5 plus or a Moto Z play for that kind a money.

You could also get a used flagship like a G6.

Iphone SE also an option if you dig IOS. Will be supported and relatively secure.
    08-21-17 05:57 PM
    will the Dtek50 atleast get Android 7.0 update anytime soon?
    08-22-17 04:16 PM
    will the Dtek50 atleast get Android 7.0 update anytime soon?
    Ask BlackBerry Mobile. No one else knows.
    08-22-17 04:23 PM
    Ask BlackBerry Mobile. No one else knows.
    As you know, the DTEKs were sold by BlackBerry Limited and they don't have much incentive to create a new OS for them at this point in time.
    08-23-17 09:36 PM
    As you know, the DTEKs were sold by BlackBerry Limited and they don't have much incentive to create a new OS for them at this point in time.
    TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) took over the DTEKs from BlackBerry.

The BlackBerry Mobile website has a link for updates which is coming online shortly.

http://www.blackberrymobile.com/support/dtek50
    08-23-17 09:47 PM
    TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) took over the DTEKs from BlackBerry.

The BlackBerry Mobile website has a link for updates which is coming online shortly.

http://www.blackberrymobile.com/support/dtek50
    Maybe now that the K1 release is taking so long, they aren't close to releasing any new slab phones and need to keep the DTEKs alive for a bit longer. Or if the new phones are going to be updated DTEKs, it won't be much extra work and they'll get the benefit of the feedback.
    08-23-17 10:05 PM
    Maybe now that the K1 release is taking so long, they aren't close to releasing any new slab phones and need to keep the DTEKs alive for a bit longer. Or if the new phones are going to be updated DTEKs, it won't be much work and they'll get the benefit of the feedback.
    Frankly I think BlackBerry just wanted to get rid of them, and threw TCL a bone to make it happen.

BlackBerry's last device - the Priv - is coming up to the two year mark, and they may simply want to shut down their entire device support infrastructure.

Regardless, it's good news for DTEK users.
    08-23-17 10:09 PM

Go with a Motorola G5 Plus with 4GB ram and 64gb. Then add the BlackBerry Hub and sideload the fantastic BlackBerry VKB. It is on 7.1.1 and will 100 percent see Oreo. Do not get a DTEK device unless BlackBerry announces OS upgrade path for OS.
    skstrials likes this.
    08-23-17 11:37 PM
    yea buy a moto g5 plus, go with cobalts version with vkb, and avoid the trouble of waiting for the update and all the frustration
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-24-17 01:48 PM