Read somewhere that most modern smartphones are protected from overcharging!

Leaving them plugged in to charge overnight is fine for example, once the phone reaches 100% charge it automatically cuts off and the lightning bolt icon on the battery changes to a plug in many cases.

On the DTEK50 I'm not so sure as there is no indication that the phone has disconnected the charging and hence saved battery life.

Curious. Thoughts?
    01-16-17 02:49 AM
    Check BBVE when the battery is charged and the phone is plugged in to see if there is a positive current being applied to the battery. This should give you an indication if charging has stopped.

While this form of overcharging is not an issue with a normally functioning phone, applying a strong charge current when the battery is nearly fully charged can do damage. A smart charger (such as the QC 2.0) which reduces the current as the battery is getting full would be ideal. A cheaper alternative is to use a charger with a lower output. 1 amp is the max I would use overnight. I wouldn't use the stock charger.
    01-16-17 08:58 AM
    Check BBVE when the battery is charged and the phone is plugged in to see if there is a positive current being applied to the battery. This should give you an indication if charging has stopped.

While this form of overcharging is not an issue with a normally functioning phone, applying a strong charge current when the battery is nearly fully charged can do damage. A smart charger (such as the QC 2.0) which reduces the current as the battery is getting full would be ideal. A cheaper alternative is to use a charger with a lower output. 1 amp is the max I would use overnight. I wouldn't use the stock charger.
    Thanks, what is BBVE?

I guess the DTEK50 does not disconnect once the charge reaches 100%
    01-16-17 09:12 AM
    Thanks, what is BBVE?

I guess the DTEK50 does not disconnect once the charge reaches 100%
    BlackBerry Virtual Expert
    01-16-17 09:54 AM
    BlackBerry Virtual Expert
    Thank you , downloading the app now!
    01-16-17 09:56 AM
    Yes, just about all modern phones and batteries feature protections.
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-16-17 11:37 AM
    Read somewhere that most modern smartphones are protected from overcharging!

Leaving them plugged in to charge overnight is fine for example, once the phone reaches 100% charge it automatically cuts off and the lightning bolt icon on the battery changes to a plug in many cases.

On the DTEK50 I'm not so sure as there is no indication that the phone has disconnected the charging and hence saved battery life.
    The charging process is automatically controlled by your phone which uses a Lithium Ion battery.
    Don't worry, it's not like the old days of charging NiCad and NiMH batteries with a bunch of do's and dont's.
    Now it just works.
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-16-17 06:26 PM

Thanks, yup, it does not get cut off, keeps charging and the BBVE software does not recognize my microSD card as well, will tinker with the app some more. Thanks.
    01-17-17 12:07 AM
    use the stock charger and you will not have any problems even if you leave it overnight. most modern phones will not allow you to overcharge the phone period.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-22-17 07:36 AM