10-27-18 06:15 AM
127 1234 ...
tools
    Why is biggest con Nougat update? Marshmallow works just fine. I went from Z30 to Dtek and I'm happy with the move.

Posted via DTEK50
    CDM76 and StormieTwo like this.
    08-24-16 03:15 PM
    Based on what I've read on various Android blogs, the DTEK50 is a good phone for the price.

Fingerprint scanner would be nice but not a deal breaker. I'll be buying one next month.

I'll still keep my Z10 as a backup though; new back cover, new battery, new case and it will look and perform like a new phone.
    Last edited by CAB64; 08-24-16 at 05:43 PM.
    08-24-16 04:01 PM
    I thought I'd have a hard time coming from passport se to priv to dtek50. Buy a bb10 os phone if you don't care for apps and only make calls text and no whatsapp. Buy a dtek50 if you care for apps like Uber, whatsapp etc. I own a dtek50. I luv it. Won't go back to bb10.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    mkiiw and auditman like this.
    08-24-16 04:05 PM
    Hello guys, can you please give me a hint? I still wondering if I should buy dtek50. After a while is a BB device which I like (even though if it has not finger print reader). But I am not sure about this device. the most annoying con is Nougat update. The biggest pro is BB HUB which I like and know from Z10 another thing is the more usable environment than is in the Android in default. But I will appreciate if someone give me a hint. Is BB dtek50 with tuned Android still good and secured BB or is better to buy something with real OS10 (Leap, Classic)? Thanks a lot!
    If you want plain vanilla nougat, then there are a number of devices you can choose from. If you want Blackberry hardened nougat, it will take an extra three to five months to do. Take your pick.
    auditman likes this.
    08-24-16 04:06 PM
    Thanks guys for your expirience. I already ordered one, tomorrow I will pick up and hope I will enjoy it.
    08-25-16 03:08 PM
    Hello guys, can you please give me a hint? I still wondering if I should buy dtek50. After a while is a BB device which I like (even though if it has not finger print reader). But I am not sure about this device. the most annoying con is Nougat update. The biggest pro is BB HUB which I like and know from Z10 another thing is the more usable environment than is in the Android in default. But I will appreciate if someone give me a hint. Is BB dtek50 with tuned Android still good and secured BB or is better to buy something with real OS10 (Leap, Classic)? Thanks a lot!
    I used BlackBerry 10 since the release of the Z10 and I can honestly say it takes a week or so getting g used to Android but now it works like a charm. Hub is not as good as on BB10, but will improve over time. Switching to the DTEK50 was a no brainer for me since I use WhatsApp a lot and it will cease to exist on BlackBerry 10. Having Android now makes me realize I really missed out on the apps department. Never really thought I needed apps but now I have them it's great!

auditman likes this.
    08-25-16 05:16 PM
    Yes, BlackBerry is currently working with Google. It will take them 6-8 months to inject their security sauce into Nougat.
    I'm actually OK with this timeline for them to do it well. 6.0.1 on my DTEK50 is so stable anyway so as long as they keep the Security Updates coming through so quickly, I'm happy for them to take their time, rather than rush it. They're still relatively new to Android, so I'm forgiving if they take a little longer.
    bh7171, Monry and auditman like this.
    08-25-16 05:26 PM
    How long dtek50 boots? Mine is booting quite long and I am little bit disappionted :-(
    08-28-16 04:13 AM
    How long dtek50 boots? Mine is booting quite long and I am little bit disappionted :-(
    It takes forever. very poor boot times by anyones standards.
    08-28-16 08:25 AM
    Provide an actual time please. BlackBerry always takes a little longer to boot due to its security hardening process, this should feel good knowing you have a more secure phone.

Seriously, though, if it takes 30 seconds longer, than another phone, what's the big deal? How often do you need to do that.

Oh and do you get anything like the bb10 startup? I love the screen and how you can tap and hold to see the percentage of load? I swear, it goes faster when you look at it. it is really a beautiful simple feature.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    08-28-16 08:34 AM
    Provide an actual time please. BlackBerry always takes a little longer to boot due to its security hardening process, this should feel good knowing you have a more secure phone.

Seriously, though, if it takes 30 seconds longer, than another phone, what's the big deal? How often do you need to do that.

Oh and do you get anything like the bb10 startup? I love the screen and how you can tap and hold to see the percentage of load? I swear, it goes faster when you look at it. it is really a beautiful simple feature.

Posted via CB10
    iOS has had all of the security features that Blackberry claims are in the DTEK50 for years and the startup times for the iPhone are almost instant in comparison.

Just because Blackberry are claiming security doesn't mean we should accept long startup times. I'll try and get a time later today.
    08-28-16 08:37 AM
    Best I've seen is N on the Nexus 7 maybe in Sept. Nexus 5's likely too, but 6's for sure. Current Asus Zen, HTC, we and Samsung in line there too.
    I would have thought the cheapest wouldn't get it, but the Zen isn't that expensive.
    08-28-16 08:51 AM
    ok I've just timed my DTEK50 startup times and it was 1 min 25 seconds. That's ridiculous and no one can possibly defend that.

Edit: iPhone SE startup time is 15 seconds. Let that sink in for a second. The iPhone has a secure boot process too. Does this mean the DTEK50 is poorly optimised?
    08-28-16 08:52 AM
    Haha. 1st world problems

Posted via DTEK50
    cizi and CDM76 like this.
    08-28-16 08:54 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised if we only see it in January 2017. BlackBerry do a lot of work behind the scenes and they can just release an OS like Google does for their Nexus devices.

Posted Via BlackBerry Noble OS 10.3.3
    08-28-16 09:12 AM
    ok I've just timed my DTEK50 startup times and it was 1 min 25 seconds. That's ridiculous and no one can possibly defend that.

Edit: iPhone SE startup time is 15 seconds. Let that sink in for a second. The iPhone has a secure boot process too. Does this mean the DTEK50 is poorly optimised?
    Do you turn you phone off after every text, email or phone call? I don't get why this is so much of an issue for you. My Priv is much faster then the time you posted by the way.

sethr, CerveloJohn and slagman5 like this.
    08-28-16 09:16 AM
    Do you turn you phone off after every text, email or phone call? I don't get why this is so much of an issue for you. My Priv is much faster then the time you posted by the way.

The times were for the DTEK50. I turn mine off every night and back on every morning. It's a huge issue for some - just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it's a null point. Blackberry are competing in a very hard segment. Everything matters now. Every second matters.
    08-28-16 09:18 AM
    Fair enough. That's a big difference. What about compared to an Android?

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 09:22 AM
    The times were for the DTEK50. I turn mine off every night and back on every morning. It's a huge issue for some - just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it's a null point. Blackberry are competing in a very hard segment. Everything matters now. Every second matters.
    If boot time is a big selling point for you and the Dtek takes too long then I guess it's not for you. And as for it being a huge concern for some, I actually haven't seen any other complaints about it.

08-28-16 09:27 AM
    If boot time is a big selling point for you and the Dtek takes too long then I guess it's not for you. And as for it being a huge concern for some, I actually haven't seen any other complaints about it.

I really don't find the startup much different from the Passport. ISheep will always complain.
    08-28-16 09:42 AM
    Nexus first on their list and then Samsungs and then the rest. DTEK50 might get it by Christmas or mid-winter so, but it also heavily depends on cell carrier too. Mine is unlocked so it should be direct.
    08-28-16 09:56 AM
    I really don't find the startup much different from the Passport. ISheep will always complain.
    Ok so I'm an "iSheep". you know, defending Blackberry for all their shortcomings is pretty sheeplike. I'm not biased to any manufacturer, I'm simply pointing out that it's an incredibly competitive market and having long bootup times isn't going go make reviewers rave about you. poor reviews result in weaker sales. Blackberry needs top notch reviews in order to get their name and reputation back up there with the big boys.
    08-28-16 10:04 AM

I fail to see how an extra minute every few weeks is even a topic of conversation.

No one knows enough specifics about the various boot cycles to even comment or compare. You're only assuming iPhone and DTEK50 are performing the same tasks.

Edit: I read you turn off your phone every night. I'm not sure why it's not on a charger instead.
    08-28-16 10:27 AM
    No, just your standard.
    sethr and CerveloJohn like this.
    08-28-16 10:35 AM
    wow I'm done with this thread. I have a valid point and I'm getting attacked for it. This kind of sh*t isn't going to convert people to BB. Join a fansite and get attacked for having a very valid opinion.
    08-28-16 10:37 AM
127 1234 ...