You know you replied to a thread from yesterday, right? lol. Of course the name is known now that it's announced, so the marketing material is using that name.
    The point is, DTEK50 was known months ago, it just lacked significance because it isn't a "name" as we would expect. A casual observer would certainly be forgiven for expecting that name was only a placeholder even today.
    07-26-16 04:51 PM
    Good point, but being being a business person myself it's about being "value added" in today's market. If the product offers good value for the money, then a name is just something you put on the purchase order.
    Value added is precisely the point, and the problem here. Companies spend millions on focus groups to get the name of a product just right. This would not be the case if naming a product was not a value added process, correct? In other words, if the name did nothing, companies wouldn't spend money getting the perfect name.

Now, if the company spent time and money naming the product because it adds value to the product, the question becomes "who does it add value for?". Surely not the company itself, so it must be for the person buying the phone.

Companies aren't marketing to themselves - there should always be a target in mind for every marketing effort.

Who exactly is the name DTEK50 marketed toward? Do IT purchasing managers have a particular affinity toward clumsy, forgettable names? I somehow doubt it.
    07-26-16 04:59 PM
    Gizmodo just said it better than I could ever hope to:

"The DTEK50 is about as nice as it sounds."

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/f...-up-1784341033
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-26-16 05:05 PM
    DTEK50 - they're rebranding.

The Priv was billed as Blackberry powered by Android.

If you watch the new video, the new phone is billed as most secured android phone. Android, with classic BlackBerry security.

I guess dtek50 just plays into that niche - very obvious this is for enterprise and not MKBHD fanboys.

#whatisclassic
    07-26-16 05:21 PM
    Detect the 5 0 main

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-26-16 05:24 PM
    If it was named neon, it would have to have a glow in the dark feature or better yet the case glows in dark.
    DTEK50 is okay.
    07-26-16 05:25 PM
    BlackBerry has definitely hit rock bottom when it comes to naming devices... like jeeezus. Who the hell gave the "A.OK!" on that??

It really is mind boggling. Let me guess, BlackBerry didn't want to spend any money on trademarks and just said "Screw it! Call it something dumb so no one tries to copy it."

DTEK50 or Neon - Which name do you prefer?-facepalm.jpg
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-26-16 06:51 PM
    I am quite put off by the name. It just sounds too "clunky" for a phone. I thought Priv was a little clever in its own right because it could be short for "privacy", "privilege", "pride", and so on, and the way "Priv" is cut short reminds me how the phone has a cut edge look and feel to it.

DTEK50...sounds like a brand of cleaning machines in some sort of retro-future.

So by default I would go with Neon though that would imply Blackberry infuse their phones with color, the likes we haven't seen since the Q5 days.
    07-26-16 08:04 PM
    Gizmodo just said it better than I could ever hope to:

"The DTEK50 is about as nice as it sounds."

Blackberry Gives Up
    I agree about the naming but that article is very Anti-BlackBerry.. The subject's title is "BlackBerry gives up".. How are they giving up with the release of a new phone.. The negativity of some of the writers is strange.. Like BlackBerry owes them money or something..
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-26-16 08:35 PM
    I love the name DTEK, and disliked the vanilla names like Neon, Argon, and Mercury. We all like different things. Neon sounded very dated to me and DTEK sounds current.
    07-26-16 08:47 PM
    "DTEK50 or Neon - Which name do you prefer?"

Neon is much better, but DTEK50 is certainly better than Priv.
    07-26-16 09:18 PM
    Option C- neither

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 09:19 PM
    Has DTEK50 really been confirmed? It's an awful name. I don't like "Priv" either.

Therefore, for Neon's formal name, I nominate "Transit", as in Casablanca's "letters of transit" and a nod to "Passport".

Posted via CB10 | BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-2 on VZW
    OOOh! I like Transit...
    could do some "going places" themed ads... you know... for when pigs fly and there are ads
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-26-16 09:29 PM
    I agree about the naming but that article is very Anti-BlackBerry.. The subject's title is "BlackBerry gives up".. How are they giving up with the release of a new phone.. The negativity of some of the writers is strange.. Like BlackBerry owes them money or something..
    Didn't even bother clicking on the link. While I don't support BlackBerry decisions 100% some of these writers have staunch opinions about BlackBerry and there's no changing them.
    07-26-16 09:44 PM
    Doesn't matter now as the name is DTEK 50. I hope it sells millions!
    07-26-16 09:48 PM
    I skimmed the webcast and saw the section on why they named it DTEK50 with the lady wrapping up that point by saying it makes sense interestingly enough. It didn't to me.

I suppose one could argue that its a sort of calculating no-nonsense name that evokes a feeling of a cold robot of efficiency and bulletproofness though.

As for Neon, I think its a better name, but not for this phone. Probably needs more color or something neon about it. Even if that something is a Dodge.
    07-26-16 09:58 PM
    BlackBerry Assure
    Privacy and Security Assured

BlackBerry Leap.
    kitmo likes this.
    07-26-16 10:06 PM
    If the fate of the phone relies on the name then we have more problems...

Names are meaningless at this point. It's an enterprise phone designed to drum up sales. If it works, Chen can keep rolling, if it doesn't, Neon or any other name isn't going to matter.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 10:07 PM
    Coleco CB40
    07-27-16 01:27 PM
    The only logical thing to do is throw out all the previous naming patterns, and start over.

This year, the new models should be CrackBerry 1, 2 and 3. Next year CrackBerry 5 and 6.
    07-27-16 02:27 PM
    If the fate of the phone relies on the name then we have more problems...

Names are meaningless at this point. It's an enterprise phone designed to drum up sales. If it works, Chen can keep rolling, if it doesn't, Neon or any other name isn't going to matter.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, for ordering hundreds of devices to deploy in the enterprise, a name with the letter-number combo, with the letters sounding like "detect", is appropriate for security-conscious business and government customers, which is BlackBerry's key market.

Posted via CB10 | SQC100-4 Classic in Cobalt Blue
    07-28-16 12:52 AM
    DTEK50...
    next gen fighter aircraft??
    A robot??
    A nuclear weapon??
    A medicine?
    Your password??

What a phone??? No way!! Are you kidding? Crazy!!

A friend's reaction when asked "what's dtek50? "

Hamburger was better. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 01:02 AM
122 ... 345