No wrinkles - the embalming solution eliminated those.
    If you bend the K1 hard enough the wrinkles will smooth out.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-05-17 04:45 PM
    So, those people shouldn't buy the phones they want because more risk-averse people might follow them? By that logic everyone should only buy a Samsung Galaxy or the latest iPhone. No thank you.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Loll nah people can buy whatever they want

I was referring to the pattern that the folks who play down risks and find excuses for BlackBerry tended to be the ones who bought every device at launch.

It's akin to someone on here who asks if it's a good idea to import a KEYone and waive any warranty support and one of you (not you specifically obviously) chimes in with "I've had mine for 2 weeks and dropped it many times and it's got no problems, don't worry about the reported cases of screen lifts - it's a small number. Go and import it!"

That's what it was last year - BlackBerry was so obviously sinking hardware wise, they flat out said the dtek's were already committed to long before, so they had to release them - yea, anyone who believed these would sell well and somehow save them definitely didn't see what I saw.

Ya'll (not anyone in particular but a group) kept saying the dtek50 will sell well with enterprise and in that regard, implied notions of it must getting nougat.

You're right though - it's not a good idea to listen to the opinions from a fansite, but ya'll sure love to reassure people when they come in here asking questions about risk of buying a BlackBerry.

Like honestly - if someone had asked, is it a good idea to buy a dtek last year given risk of a, b, c, some of you would have said well for reasons x, y, z, you should go for it still. And now when it's clear their original concerns were valid, you're using the same a, b, c to explain why BlackBerry did what they did when last year you folks pretty much implied there's nothing to worry about. Go back and see all the posts during the 50 and 60 launch.

That's all I am saying.

Posted via CB10
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-05-17 09:44 PM
    That's all I am saying.

Posted via CB10
    And that is your opinion, on a fansite.
    07-05-17 09:49 PM
    And that is your opinion, on a fansite.
    Loll

Listen - if people said, I'd still go for it because of so and so reason but yea there's a risk, I'd be game.

Like for the KEYone - lots of people will still buy it for their own personal reasons, but to tell someone who's inquiring - "there's no screen problem" isn't opinion, but just downright misleading people man.

That's what I take issue with - but, I ain't saying you guys can't do it. And this isn't directed towards you in particular because I don't pay attention to who writes what - other than conite who's pretty consistent but he sure is helpful too so it's all good loll

But i'll be here to offer my own views too

Posted via CB10
    07-05-17 09:53 PM
    So why did ya'll convince people it was a smart purchase when it was launched loll

Oh yea, it's a pilot run just to test things out, it might have an early EOL - but go buy it! It's perfect for enterprise and as a fleet phone!! Loll

To be fair though, I didn't really suspect anything until the dtek50 was heavily discounted only 3 months after it launched - that's when I was like, something isn't right...that pretty much held me back from buying the 60, which of course never saw any big discount, probably because it was made in even smaller quantities.

Posted via CB10
    My Dtek50 is great. Don't know what all the negatively is about. Well worth the $260 CAD I paid. I don't know what y'all have against discounts but I sure like 'em. The dtek is still under warranty, but that is irrelevant to me as I have yet to sink a penny into any repairs for any BlackBerry I purchased (over a dozen - all at a discount) and they all continue to work today used without protective cases (except the q5's they need a thin case cuz the be slippery).

Was waiting for the discount to start on the dtek60 to buy one, but I don't think that is gonna happen due to the limited supply. Just as well as I understand that it is slippery.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf and big_time2 like this.
    07-05-17 10:12 PM
    Loll

Listen - if people said, I'd still go for it because of so and so reason but yea there's a risk, I'd be game.

Like for the KEYone - lots of people will still buy it for their own personal reasons, but to tell someone who's inquiring - "there's no screen problem" isn't opinion, but just downright misleading people man.

That's what I take issue with - but, I ain't saying you guys can't do it. And this isn't directed towards you in particular because I don't pay attention to who writes what - other than conite who's pretty consistent but he sure is helpful too so it's all good loll

But i'll be here to offer my own views too

Posted via CB10
    But what you're missing is that fans will say what they believe, and it's not their job to tell people to consider risks. That's the buyer's responsibility.

Seriously, if someone buys the wrong phone, that's on the buyer. We're all adults here and responsible for ourselves.

For example, if someone tells me they want the best phone for email, calendar, tasks and contacts and that they don't care about any other Google Apps, I might tell them to seriously consider a BB10 phone, because that's really what I believe is the best for those applications today, in 2017.

Someone else will say that BB10 is dead and that it's not a valid option.

But if the only place you look for information about BlackBerry is here in CrackBerry, then you're going to get more responses from people like me who believe BlackBerry's approach to mobile is superior to that of other companies, even if their products are much more successful.

The reason some of us are here is that we really, really, really like BlackBerry more than Apple, Samsung, LG, Motorola, LG, etc.

BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-05-17 10:33 PM
    This time, they will be able to provide the ordered type and quantity from their current stock, but most probably soon they will run out of it.

There is no more stock of Blackberry devices - BBRY announced last week they would run out of inventory by the end of the week. So whatever is in their warehouse is it.
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-06-17 02:13 AM
    He is giving you salesspeak. The 50 is not EOL, they merely do not have any in stock because it is out of production. Furthermore the 60 was not meant to replace it. The 60 is a higher-spec'd model that is also out of production.

The next time you need to order phones TCL will (hopefully) have a BlackBerry vkb model available for you to consider.
    According to BB themselves, both the Dtek's are now classed as 'legacy devices' so no longer available new.
    Shocking considering neither are a year old!!!
    Regarding the 'next time you order' No way would there be a 'next time' for me, having been 'sold a pup' once already thank you!!
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-06-17 04:18 AM
    But what you're missing is that fans will say what they believe, and it's not their job to tell people to consider risks. That's the buyer's responsibility.

Seriously, if someone buys the wrong phone, that's on the buyer. We're all adults here and responsible for ourselves.

For example, if someone tells me they want the best phone for email, calendar, tasks and contacts and that they don't care about any other Google Apps, I might tell them to seriously consider a BB10 phone, because that's really what I believe is the best for those applications today, in 2017.

Someone else will say that BB10 is dead and that it's not a valid option.

But if the only place you look for information about BlackBerry is here in CrackBerry, then you're going to get more responses from people like me who believe BlackBerry's approach to mobile is superior to that of other companies, even if their products are much more successful.

The reason some of us are here is that we really, really, really like BlackBerry more than Apple, Samsung, LG, Motorola, LG, etc.

Oh I ain't saying fans can't say what they believe - by all means if people want to tell someone their flip phone is awesome for their needs and the inquiring poster should go and buy it, go for it loll

Just don't get offended when I chime in with my side of the story that's all loll

Your example is what I would respect if someone asked about a bb10 phone given their needs.

I'd say the same thing - if those are your needs I'd say yea, go for a BlackBerry 10 device. But - whatsapp is going to be ended by end of 2017 so keep that in mind, or highlight the app gap. Otherwise it's awesome. I do find bb10 superior in many ways - the only issue is app gap and cameras loll

If someone asks about a phone overall though and that they need social media and whatsapp - and someone says, bb10 is superior and it serves their needs, I got all my apps that I need, etc - how the heck is that helpful or even honest to the person asking the question. It isn't - and I would absolutely mention that loll

Not saying folks can't say what they want - I'm saying that to me, it's misleading people. That's all. Because they're coming for guidance about a device purchase.

In the end, I realize it's on the buyer and not on cb users what they end up buying lolll

Posted via CB10
    07-06-17 09:05 AM
    Oh I ain't saying fans can't say what they believe - by all means if people want to tell someone their flip phone is awesome for their needs and the inquiring poster should go and buy it, go for it loll

Just don't get offended when I chime in with my side of the story that's all loll

Your example is what I would respect if someone asked about a bb10 phone given their needs.

I'd say the same thing - if those are your needs I'd say yea, go for a BlackBerry 10 device. But - whatsapp is going to be ended by end of 2017 so keep that in mind, or highlight the app gap. Otherwise it's awesome. I do find bb10 superior in many ways - the only issue is app gap and cameras loll

If someone asks about a phone overall though and that they need social media and whatsapp - and someone says, bb10 is superior and it serves their needs, I got all my apps that I need, etc - how the heck is that helpful or even honest to the person asking the question. It isn't - and I would absolutely mention that loll

Not saying folks can't say what they want - I'm saying that to me, it's misleading people. That's all. Because they're coming for guidance about a device purchase.

In the end, I realize it's on the buyer and not on cb users what they end up buying lolll

Posted via CB10
    And that's the beauty of CrackBerry. Find a thread where all opinions aren't expressed. Good luck! It's all out there, and people can make up their own minds, based on that variety of opinion.
    07-06-17 09:50 AM
    And that's the beauty of CrackBerry. Find a thread where all opinions aren't expressed. Good luck! It's all out there, and people can make up their own minds, based on that variety of opinion.
    We're on the same page. I don't think people are TRYING to mislead anyone around here. There is a huge diversity of opinion on the relevance and viability if BB10 in 2017, from "awesome and perfect" to "dead and buried."

BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-06-17 01:37 PM
    Any phone not from a Tier 1 OEM carries the same risk. Even non-flagship phones that are from Tier 1 OEM hardware retailers are riskier purchases if you're expecting updates. I don't expect much from a company exiting hardware and whose primary software business is Auto/EMM/MDM related.
    Tier 1 OEMs like Nextbit? Only the most successful phones see top tier support! Of course. Let's be real here, the DTEK series would have had to have been alive at any point for them to be EOL, stillborn is more like it. It was just a last gasp attempt to dump hardware on the market to shore up the fact that BlackBerry has virtually no revenue. Dump them on the market and squander the miniscule amount of goodwill the brand has left before loaning out the name to be paraded around like some Frankenstein corpse. It's not like it mattered, nobody bought these phones, but it doesn't take the sting out of those who(rightfully) feel a bit miffed about the whole deal.
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-07-17 05:13 AM
    Tier 1 OEMs like Nextbit? Only the most successful phones see top tier support! Of course. Let's be real here, the DTEK series would have had to have been alive at any point for them to be EOL, stillborn is more like it. It was just a last gasp attempt to dump hardware on the market to shore up the fact that BlackBerry has virtually no revenue. Dump them on the market and squander the miniscule amount of goodwill the brand has left before loaning out the name to be paraded around like some Frankenstein corpse. It's not like it mattered, nobody bought these phones, but it doesn't take the sting out of those who(rightfully) feel a bit miffed about the whole deal.
    There was no goodwill left in the brand, get real... More likely, they had to order a minimal amount of DTEK to satisfy contract with TCL.

They weren't selling enough of any hardware to make a difference.

Like buying a KEYone now, buyers are taking early adopter risk.
    07-07-17 06:12 AM
    He is giving you salesspeak. The 50 is not EOL, they merely do not have any in stock because it is out of production. Furthermore the 60 was not meant to replace it. The 60 is a higher-spec'd model that is also out of production.

The next time you need to order phones TCL will (hopefully) have a BlackBerry vkb model available for you to consider.
    Hi,

The only problem is that we buy them in batches of 50 to slowly replace our BB Classics. So the other batch will happen in about a month time. Don't think that TCL will have anything else for me, unfortunately. After finding out what options we have to do volume purchase of hub+ licenses, we will move away from having a BlackBerry branded phone. I liked so far all of them except the 9720, but what can we do.
    07-07-17 08:54 AM
    DTEKs are NOT EOL. They will continue to receive monthly patches. No need to panic.
    The DTEKs are BlackBerry phones, and will continue to receive patches as long as BlackBerry wishes them to.
    Come again? First you claim that they'll continue to receive updates (source?) and then you say it's up to Blackberry on how long they'll continue to receive updates? (source again?)

So which is it?
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-07-17 01:58 PM
    Fans of any type of product are skewed indicator for an overly positive bias.
    I'm glad we finally agree that most here are skewed... add to that the likelihood of plants.
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-07-17 02:26 PM
    Come again? First you claim that they'll continue to receive updates (source?) and then you say it's up to Blackberry on how long they'll continue to receive updates? (source again?)

So which is it?
    They don't conflict. I didn't say they would continue forever.
    07-07-17 02:28 PM
    There is no more stock of Blackberry devices - BBRY announced last week they would run out of inventory by the end of the week. So whatever is in their warehouse is it.
    Can you share a link of this announcement?
    07-07-17 02:52 PM
    Can you share a link of this announcement?
    Certainly:

Total software and services revenue was $169 million representing 69% of total revenue. Handset device revenue was $37 million, representing 15% of revenue. The last of our remaining inventory will be sold by the end of June. As a result, our handset device revenue is expected to be minimal in Q2.
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/408...pt?part=single
    07-07-17 04:06 PM
    I just got a DTEK50 for the wife and she loves it!
    07-07-17 04:28 PM
    June 5 patch released today.
    07-07-17 04:32 PM
    There was no goodwill left in the brand, get real... More likely, they had to order a minimal amount of DTEK to satisfy contract with TCL.

They weren't selling enough of any hardware to make a difference.

Like buying a KEYone now, buyers are taking early adopter risk.
    I'd hazard a guess to say what little people did buy the DTEK series did it specifically out of good will or love of the company. Maybe you don't care because you have ten different phones. Doesn't change the fact that the support of these products is laughable even when compared to miniscule start ups like Nextbit that failed.
    07-07-17 05:36 PM
    They don't conflict. I didn't say they would continue forever.
    So Blackberry can stop submitting updates at any time, but we shouldn't panic because we'll continue to receive updates. Yea that doesn't conflict at all... Without a proper source to your first claim you're circling your own tail.
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-07-17 06:35 PM
    I'd hazard a guess to say what little people did buy the DTEK series did it specifically out of good will or love of the company. Maybe you don't care because you have ten different phones. Doesn't change the fact that the support of these products is laughable even when compared to miniscule start ups like Nextbit that failed.
    I own every BB since 7200 model from 2004 sold by AT&T. I also own the factory unlocked BB10 devices for use on AT&T. The number of BB devices is around 20, plus another 10 Android devices, flagship and mid tier.

I care to a level that I've seen the level of support or lack thereof, from all tier 1 brands and non-tier 1. If counting lower end Android devices, add 10 more devices to my total. My point is that BB price and reputation has been discounted for years compared to other brands. The other brands did not always update my OS either and they never discussed updates either. In many respects, their BB10 phones were cheap price and performed close enough with Android based apps until 12-18 months ago.

When I bought PRIV and DTEK hardware, I bought new but heavily discounted. I've always been a budget shopper because I buy devices to run my business and the risk is that my devices can be stolen easy.

Whoever bought Nextbit has incentive to update the OS for the brand reputation. If anyone has incentive for DTEK, it's BBMo. Their baseline target is whoever buys one step above their Alcatel line of prepaid AT&T devices and Cricket pay as you go devices. Think KIA. If target market cares about OS updates, they'll pay BB to update. I'll bet they'd rather spend money on Aurora type device upgrades or buying space in AT&T or Verizon.
    07-07-17 06:45 PM
    So Blackberry can stop submitting updates at any time, but we shouldn't panic because we'll continue to receive updates. Yea that doesn't conflict at all... Without a proper source to your first claim you're circling your own tail.
    It's like you're being intentionally difficult.

If you see the original post on the subject, I was stating that only BlackBerry is ultimately responsible for issuing DTEK updates (as opposed to TCL with the KEYᵒⁿᵉ), and will decide when to stop the patches.

There is, however, no indication or statement suggesting those will stop anytime soon.

Here is the DTEK50 patch schedule:

Sep - Aug 30 - build AAG326
    Oct - Oct 18 - build AAH108
    Nov - Dec 5 - build AAH990
    Dec - Jan 5 - build AAI482
    Jan - Jan 13 - build AAI795
    Feb - Feb 15 - build AAJ221
    Mar - Mar 6 - build AAJ842
    Apr - Apr 5 - build AAK406
    May - May 5 - build AAL135
    Jun - Jul 7 - build AAM312
    07-07-17 07:45 PM