So I bought a dtek 50 about a year and four months ago because I heeded to replace my leap for the lack of certain apps. I heard the battery was not all that great but I was able to work around it until recently. It seems that after the January patch the phone drops at dismal rates.

I would use it put back in my pocket and then half an hour later there would be a 5 to 8 percent drop. I checked to see what was the cause and mostly it said calender so I when through and fined tune apps and permissions, turned down screen brightness and location is off. This all made no difference, the phone still goes through battery at an alarming rate. I now use my leap for calls / text / email and hot spot it so the dtek can use the apps.

I would use the dtek if there was a way to install a higher capacity battery but my searches have come up empty. On a side note, the leap has amazing call quality and battery life just to bad about the browser and apps. If anyone knows a place that can install a higher cap battery I will keep the dtek longer otherwise I'm going for a lg v30 when I can upgrade in july.
    02-20-18 09:18 AM
    So I bought a dtek 50 about a year and four months ago because I heeded to replace my leap for the lack of certain apps. I heard the battery was not all that great but I was able to work around it until recently. It seems that after the January patch the phone drops at dismal rates. I would use it put back in my pocket and then half an hour later there would be a 5 to 8 percent drop. I checked to see what was the cause and mostly it said calender so I when through and fined tune apps and permissions, turned down screen brightness and location is off. This all made no difference, the phone still goes through battery at an alarming rate. I now use my leap for calls / text / email and hot spot it so the dtek can use the apps. I would use the dtek if there was a way to install a higher capacity battery but my searches have come up empty. On a side note, the leap has amazing call quality and battery life just to bad about the browser and apps. If anyone knows a place that can install a higher cap battery I will keep the dtek longer otherwise I'm going for a lg v30 when I can upgrade in july.
    If your problem started immediately after a software update, then I would do a factory reset before I started looking at hardware.
    02-20-18 09:37 AM
    Is installing a higher capacity battery even a thing anymore? I thought that mostly died out in like 2014-2015 when people realized most of the batteries they were buying that claimed more juice were fake.
    02-20-18 09:39 AM
    Thanks for the response, I tried factory reset but the situation remains the same. I am simply trying to make the phone useful. one observation though after pulling the sim out the battery drain has reduced considerably so I'm guessing the phone was struggling for signal ( on freedom network ).
    02-20-18 10:09 AM
    My battery has been draining too. Hopefully, the February or the March update will fix it. I can't believe my phone hasn't received the February update yet, since I bought it from Shop BlackBerry.
    02-20-18 10:18 AM
    My battery has been draining too. Hopefully, the February or the March update will fix it. I can't believe my phone hasn't received the February update yet, since I bought it from Shop BlackBerry.
    I can't believe my phone is still on the November update ;-)
    02-20-18 02:36 PM
    at 11 am was 100% at 12.21 pm at 67%.. this has been going on for 4-5 months now..bought in october 16.. have charger at work so I'm ok..but this battery drain is unstoppable..only had bb..for many years...will be moving to oneplus5t
    02-24-18 11:22 AM
    at 11 am was 100% at 12.21 pm at 67%.. this has been going on for 4-5 months now..bought in october 16.. have charger at work so I'm ok..but this battery drain is unstoppable..only had bb..for many years...will be moving to oneplus5t
    You should check if there's a specific app(s) that chewing up your battery. Check Battery under Settings.
    03-05-18 02:04 PM
    Thanks for the response, I tried factory reset but the situation remains the same. I am simply trying to make the phone useful. one observation though after pulling the sim out the battery drain has reduced considerably so I'm guessing the phone was struggling for signal ( on freedom network ).
    You had originally mentioned calendar was you biggest hog. Is it still calendar after your factory reset or is something to do with radio now. Low signal definitely consumes more power. I'm also on Freedom in frindge area. However, I haven't experienced worsening battery drain. No more than the continued poor battery life.
    03-05-18 02:15 PM
    Check your mobile settings. Turn off LTE, my wife has a DTEK50 and she had battery drains really fast. Figured out it was the LTE being on and the cell signal bouncing back and forth. She is also on freedom. Check this.. Go to your battery and press the graph that comes it, it will switch to a screen that tells you cell switching. Should be green or light green. Before we turned off LTE, it was green, light green, yellow and red. After the switch, green or light green and the battery lasts over a day.
    03-05-18 08:25 PM
    Okay I will try and let you know thanks
    03-06-18 07:11 AM
    If I'm not mistaken the​ Dtek50 doesn't support Freedom LTE (no band 66), so you should be turning off LTE.
    03-06-18 04:06 PM
    Freedom now has lte on band 4 so yes you can get it on dtek50
    03-06-18 04:09 PM
    okay so I tried to turn off lte and only use 3g and still unacceptable battery drain. I'm sticking with my leap for calls/emails/texts and using the dtek for apps with battery saving mode running from full charge I just don't trust it to last a day. Come July I will be eligible for an upgrade and so far it probably won't be a blackberry.
    03-14-18 11:21 AM
    okay so I tried to turn off lte and only use 3g and still unacceptable battery drain. I'm sticking with my leap for calls/emails/texts and using the dtek for apps with battery saving mode running from full charge I just don't trust it to last a day. Come July I will be eligible for an upgrade and so far it probably won't be a blackberry.
    Just replace the battery.
    03-14-18 11:26 AM
    Battery replaced!!!! It was a pain in the *** but done and my drainage is normal again. I'll hold on to this phone until mid 2019.
    danilocolop likes this.
    07-23-18 11:08 AM
    Battery replaced!!!! It was a pain in the *** but done and my drainage is normal again. I'll hold on to this phone until mid 2019.
    I did that on my Dtek50 and now it works great!! Too bad they did away with the replaceable batteries, like in my Z10, that still works great.
    It's not that hard to do in the Dtek50, but it's very time consuming and the screws are so SMALL!!

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    07-29-18 07:49 AM