So I was looking to buy a Dtek50 after coming from a long line of Samsung devices (Galaxy Ace II X, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Grand Prime, Galaxy S5 Neo and lastly Galaxy S6). However I do have a bit of concerns, namely how to phone handles in daily day to day operations and the lack of a fingerprint scanner. After using the fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S6 I found it to be a very useful component for me after not having one of the S5 Neo for a long time. Even though a millisecond difference it takes to use a pin is negligible I got the feeling it made my phone more secure. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem without having a fingerprint scanner on this device? Also day to day usage also concerns me as I have read many reviews saying the device stutters while performing basic tasks such as web browsing and video watching (which is mainly what I do with my smartphone). The reviews also stated that the Dtek50 had meh battery life which I'm not too concerned about since I have owned a Galaxy S6 (which is known for having abysmal battery life). Since now the Dtek50 is on sale I thought it would be a great phone to buy but I want to see if anyone was having problems with day to day usage first.
    05-24-17 08:57 PM
    To be honest you Oswald get better performance out of another device. The dtek50 is ok, but battery life is lacking. No problems with the device itself while I had one. Personally I would look for dtek60 if you can find one out on eBay or kijiji if you are in canada
    xandros9 and kitmo like this.
    05-24-17 09:16 PM
    To be honest you Oswald get better performance out of another device. The dtek50 is ok, but battery life is lacking. No problems with the device itself while I had one. Personally I would look for dtek60 if you can find one out on eBay or kijiji if you are in canada
    Thanks. But the Dtek60 is completely out of my price range, same with the listings on kijiji and ebay. I guess I'll stick with the phone I have now or try a different device.
    05-25-17 11:23 AM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Dtek50 is last remaining phone still available on shopblackberry.com...I imagine they will be out of stock of that soon...

Posted via CB10
    05-26-17 04:56 AM
    I like the Dtek50 except for 2 things :
    1- battery life
    2- only 16 GB internal storage

If you don't mind topping it off during the day, and want to use the SD card for apps (I don't), it would be fine at a good price.

BB 9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>
    Classic>Dtek50>
    05-26-17 07:21 PM
    I think the Dtek50 is ok. I'm coming from Z30. Agree that battery life isn't great. Sometimes you'll need a recharge during the day so a power brick comes in handy for heavy days. I know some will suggest turning this and that off but that's a workaround and diminishes the experience. I've had a few wonky behaviours but they were correctable. Worse case was I couldn't change my ringtone and hard reboot didn't resolve it so had to do a factory reset. Haven't had any issues with emails and accounts. Browsing and streaming is good too. No freezing for me. Camera is an improvement over my Z30. Speakers are fair but not as nice as the Z30. I don't play a lot of games on it so can't comment on that aspect. For a mid-range phone, I think it's good one.
    05-27-17 10:21 AM
    I like the Dtek50 except for 2 things :
    1- battery life
    2- only 16 GB internal storage

If you don't mind topping it off during the day, and want to use the SD card for apps (I don't), it would be fine at a good price.

BB 9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>
    Classic>Dtek50>
    Those are crucial...
    05-28-17 08:06 AM
    Get a Huawei Nova if you can, amazing device, 32 gb, fast, updated with Android Nougat, long lasting battery, pretty good camera,....and pretty compact.
    05-28-17 04:17 PM
    Coming from a leap to the 50. I have had it now for 10 days and really love it. I'm not too demanding so the 50 works very well.....I was mostly concerned with the transition from BB10 which I will always love, and the android blackberry op system is very nice and the transition has been smooth.
    05-28-17 05:46 PM
    Is the dtek50 any good. It's good enough for me. I've had the phone from October last and more than happy with it. I find the phone to have great speakers for listening to music and fast enough for my surfing and email needs. The screen is good and I can read it outdoors no problem in the sun. The swipe up on the keyboard is great and makes typing a breeze. The camera is OK also for the few times I use it. I'm glad I got this phone and hope to get the K1 for my next phone when my upgrade is due. Forgot to mention the convenience of the convenience key which I have set to the hub. The power button on the top left does not bother me at all as it does some . The battery life is OK for me but others have said they find it hard to get through the day, I guess this is why at the launch of this phone a mobile charger was included from BlackBerry. The phone is the slimmest I have used and the back has a good grippy feel to it. When at work I use a case with the cutout on the front to read the notifications which is handy and when on my of work days I use a pouch type case and like to use the phone on its own ( naked) < that's the phone I'm talking about. The phone to me looks and feels great and I have been asked by a few that have got a close look at it all about it, especially when they have seen me using the swipe up features of the BlackBerry keyboard. The three swipe up shortcuts are used every day and I hope this feature is added to the K1 when it is my time to upgrade. So I would have no hesitation recommending this phone as I have not had any issues with it yet.
    Edit : I have also watched films on this via Amazon video and plenty of YouTube videos with no problems at all. The phone is also hooked up to my Sony smartwatch all day and a Bluetooth ear piece when driving.
    05-29-17 05:23 AM
    So I was looking to buy a Dtek50 after coming from a long line of Samsung devices (Galaxy Ace II X, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Grand Prime, Galaxy S5 Neo and lastly Galaxy S6). However I do have a bit of concerns, namely how to phone handles in daily day to day operations and the lack of a fingerprint scanner. After using the fingerprint scanner on the Galaxy S6 I found it to be a very useful component for me after not having one of the S5 Neo for a long time. Even though a millisecond difference it takes to use a pin is negligible I got the feeling it made my phone more secure. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem without having a fingerprint scanner on this device? Also day to day usage also concerns me as I have read many reviews saying the device stutters while performing basic tasks such as web browsing and video watching (which is mainly what I do with my smartphone). The reviews also stated that the Dtek50 had meh battery life which I'm not too concerned about since I have owned a Galaxy S6 (which is known for having abysmal battery life). Since now the Dtek50 is on sale I thought it would be a great phone to buy but I want to see if anyone was having problems with day to day usage first.
    I'm using dtek 50, honestly battery issues draining fast and charging fast too. others functions it is well working ,and 16Gb storage is under design.
    05-30-17 02:47 AM
    At the end of the day it depends on your needs and what you intend to use the phone for...
    06-02-17 09:05 AM