I am getting a dtek 50 and i have seen my uncle use a priv. Is the dtek 50 worth it in 2017? And if yes, is it better than a priv. Also, does it look as ugly as seen in the pics (it doesnt even have a shiny BlackBerry logo like Z30 and priv).

Bottomline... should i buy it?

Posted via my nokia 3310 (the old one)
    03-11-17 08:43 AM
    If you seen it ugly why are you buying it, don't be a com plainer always my friend.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.3.2205
    03-11-17 08:57 AM
    If you seen it ugly why are you buying it, don't be a com plainer always my friend.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Iam not complaining... ian saying... is it better than priv?

03-11-17 09:51 AM

Its an alcatel, a cheap chinese phone with a rubber sticker on its back. So get the last BlackBerry -Priv.

via Passport OG
    03-11-17 01:18 PM

I don't know what your budget is or what your keyboard preference.

If you want a slider, go for the Priv. It still performs well.

If you want a high end slab, get the DTEK60.

If you are happy with a mid range slab, then the DTEK50. It may not be great at high end gaming but it handles regular functions just fine.

All are well built, and have the complete BlackBerry Android security package.
    Laura Knotek, Ethynil and srini96 like this.
    03-11-17 01:22 PM
    I am getting a dtek 50 and i have seen my uncle use a priv. Is the dtek 50 worth it in 2017? And if yes, is it better than a priv. Also, does it look as ugly as seen in the pics (it doesnt even have a shiny BlackBerry logo like Z30 and priv).

Bottomline... should i buy it?

Aren't you the guy that started the "KEYone is a disaster " thread? If so what makes you think that the dtek50 will be a better choice over the K1 or the priv?
    03-11-17 03:03 PM
    My two cents, after having played around with both, and now that my mom just got one and I've spend more time hands-on with it, personally I'd take the DTEK50 over the Priv.

Spec wise the Priv might look more impressive, but the way they both handle, and the fact that for me the physical keyboard seems utterly useless on the Priv...the edge goes to the DTEK50.

Besides, there is always the DTEK60...or you can wait for the KeyOne.

Respect My Autoritah!
    03-21-17 06:56 PM
    I had both dtek50 and priv but sold them. If I have to choose one, it will be priv though. You can probably buy a new priv for around $300 in ebay but I would just wait for keyone if money is no problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 11:42 AM
    I have a PRIV sitting here. I use it as a paper weight and keep for a backup phone. I do keep the apps/OS updated and use it occasionally for browsing/calculator/etc.

I had a PP when I bought the PRIV. Still used the PP daily........ after the PP went swimming I used my Z10 for a few days until my DTEK50 arrived (PP is dead ..... it actually did go swimming for about 10-15 seconds and never woke up).

Now I use DTEK50 daily.

PRIV is a great phone. For me and my lifestyle I generally prefer full touch and the size, weight and form factor of DTEK50. Again, that's just me and my preference.

If you don't mind a little more bulk, you want a keyboard, a curved screen, and a battery....... go PRIV.

If you want a nice all touch model that just works and just fits any pocket without the bulk........ go DTEK50. You will have more battery capacity with DTEK60 but it is also slightly larger.
    03-22-17 04:43 PM
    I have a PRIV sitting here. I use it as a paper weight and keep for a backup phone. I do keep the apps/OS updated and use it occasionally for browsing/calculator/etc.

I had a PP when I bought the PRIV. Still used the PP daily........ after the PP went swimming I used my Z10 for a few days until my DTEK50 arrived (PP is dead ..... it actually did go swimming for about 10-15 seconds and never woke up).

Now I use DTEK50 daily.

PRIV is a great phone. For me and my lifestyle I generally prefer full touch and the size, weight and form factor of DTEK50. Again, that's just me and my preference.

If you don't mind a little more bulk, you want a keyboard, a curved screen, and a battery....... go PRIV.

If you want a nice all touch model that just works and just fits any pocket without the bulk........ go DTEK50. You will have more battery capacity with DTEK60 but it is also slightly larger.
    If the DTEK50 battery is worse than the priv's that's just awful. The priv already has about 2/3 of the passports battery life.
    03-22-17 05:16 PM
    Is the dtek 50 worth it in 2017?
    Absolutely There is a reason companies keep making budget range devices. There is a big market for them and its why AndroidCentral has many posts regarding sub $300 or sub $250 devices.Ive personally used a DTEK50 a couple times and it actually feels really sturdy. Not as cheap as some say. Sure it doesn't have all the glass and metal that others have but its still a nice looking device.

The software updates are a little slower compared the the PRIV & DTEK60 so if that matters to you, maybe a DTEK60 would be the better device. Otherwise, yes you should buy it. Support our favourite company
    03-24-17 10:45 AM

Priv is better device!
    03-24-17 12:53 PM
    Priv is better device!
    I wouldn't say that outright.

I have all the BlackBerry Android devices, and if you don't need a pkb, or a more powerful GPU for games, the DTEK50's ergonomics may be preferable. It's just as quick with other tasks - and even faster in some respects as the OS seems to be better optimised to its SoC.
    srini96 likes this.
    03-24-17 02:02 PM
    The weight and bulk of the Priv are a deal breaker for me. The DTEK50 is lighter and more manageable. I'm a heavy caller user and that's a big point for me.

Nonetheless, the specs of the Priv are pretty good for the price even today

Posted with my Z30
    03-24-17 05:37 PM
    That's rite, in today's smartphones specs are not a big deal if the software is well optimized for the hardware .
    03-24-17 11:35 PM