After one year, in my DTEK 50 there are increasing shortcomings I need to discuss with anyone who will be pleased to engage:
    - battery fast draining, a moderate use will let it last from 7:00 to 2/3PM in average condition;
    - sometimes it gets blocked when in WiFi mode;
    - in Hub emails often with poor resolution and attachments difficult to open;
    - some common apps are slower and get blocked without any reason, such as facebook messenger;
    - in some cases poor audio when dialling phone calls (but it may depend on the carrier);

This has been compensated until now by photo and videos good quality. In one occasion, the phone got blocked on a facebook page and it took several minutes before I managed to switch it off and let it go again. I wonder how to improve the phone functioning. To give a comparison, my other phone, a Z30, had to do a hard reset only once in three years.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you

From my awesome Z30
    big_time2 likes this.
    06-09-17 12:43 PM
    After one year, in my DTEK 50 there are increasing shortcomings I need to discuss with anyone who will be pleased to engage:
    - battery fast draining, a moderate use will let it last from 7:00 to 2/3PM in average condition;
    - some common apps are slower and get blocked without any reason, such as facebook messenger;
    - in some cases poor audio when dialling phone calls (but it may depend on the carrier);

This has been compensated until now by photo and videos good quality. In one occasion, the phone got blocked on a facebook page and it took several minutes before I managed to switch it off and let it go again. I wonder how to improve the phone functioning. To give a comparison, my other phone, a Z30, had to do a hard reset only once in three years.

From my awesome Z30
    I know someone who has one. I'll have to run your observations by them. Up until now, it seemed to be a pretty good moderate phone, from what I heard. Feels good too in the hand (properly balanced, nice finish on the back).
    big_time2 likes this.
    06-09-17 01:08 PM
    @COFfeeturtle: Thanks a lot for your help, I'm waiting for News about that

From my awesome Z30
    big_time2 likes this.
    06-09-17 01:14 PM
    Hello I would uninstall Facebook app. It is a known resource / battery hog! Lots of other devices have issues. If you need Facebook you can use web version or client apps avaible on PlayStore like swipe pro. All my devices run better without Facebook. Anothe point how often do you clear cache I clear at 1gb and then right after reset phone. Can confirm my PRIV running over 1 year super smooth.
    Good luck
    jamesharmeling and big_time2 like this.
    06-09-17 01:47 PM
    I've had my Dtek50 for close to six months. It required some new habits, from the BB-10 os.

I had a problem with battery running down fast too, but took the time to go through the system. So many things can be the cause of it.

I have the brightness 3/4 down. Run dark/night mode in whatever app has that feature. A number of games and some apps don't need the internet constantly or at all... so I use No-Root-Firewall to stop/allow any apps net usage. Living/animated backgrounds are battery killers.

If you run Linux, I use PCLinuxOS-kde5... you can use the kde-connect in Linux, and connect it to your Android-OS mobile with a kde-connect app also. Then transfer your downloaded videos to your computer and watch them there. That is a battery saver.

That is just some ways. Ought to actually sit down and make a list.
    Ethynil and big_time2 like this.
    06-12-17 02:10 AM
    Sorry to hear about you phone problems. Just wanted to add that I recall there being an option for image attachments within the hub that would automatically load the images.

Also wanted to recommend giving inbox by Gmail a shot. The more I use it, the more I like it; almost beats the hub on bb10 but not quite.

It's great at attachments, speed dial contacts, smart inbox organization, ease of use, etc. You can add compose shortcuts to your homescreens, you have widgets and all kind of stuff. I think I am an inbox fanboy

Posted via CB10
    big_time2 likes this.
    06-12-17 12:28 PM
    DTEK50 owner - I purchased it about 8-ish months ago. I love my phone, I use it all day and I do not have many issues with it at all. I also have a Priv, which I love...but it is just too big to carry around daily in my pocket, so it has been in the box since I got my DTEK50.

Battery Issues: In your settings under battery - What is using the majority of it? As many have mentioned, Facebook is a HUGE battery drain (it is not the only), to fix this just restrict background data. It solves a lot of the issues I was having. I have also done this on other apps that I do not use often while at the office. I use it moderately to heavy and it gets me through until about 8pm before it hits 15%. If I know I will need it longer, I turn on the battery saver even if I am in the 80%+ range on the battery. It helps a lot, and I still get emails and notifications.

HUB: I am not sure what you mean by poor resolution in the HUB with regards to emails. Email is basic HTML or text. I have no issues with them at all. Images and attachments take a normal amount of time based on they type of connection I have. If I am on a good strong WiFi or LTE network they are very snappy, if I am not...yea...they struggle as expected. I would suggest changing your settings to download images and emails automatically or increase the size of the standard download. This also might be restricted by your mail server. I have a personal email server and a connection to our corporate Office 365 inside of my HUB with no issues.

Blocked on WiFi: That is a restriction with your AP configurations/network and not the device...sorry.

Blocked Apps: Please be more specific by blocked. Do you get an error when downloading? When trying to access? When opening? With integration into the HUB?

General Slowness: I do notice that after updating apps...the phone runs slow until I reboot it. I have gotten into the habit of just doing a reboot after I update apps. I have turned off the automatic updates in the Play Store as well, I noticed this on my Priv too. No idea if that is Android in general or something that Blackberry has done with the DTEK app integration with apps...or with their modification of the OS...or what. This is my first Android device, perhaps someone else can shed more light on that.

Hope that helps you, and others, out!!
    big_time2 likes this.
    06-23-17 03:42 PM
    Just simply restrict the background data usage on the Facebook app and it will solve your issues with battery drain. It tries to do a TON of stuff in the background, as do many other apps. I would suggest turning it off for any app you don't use often.
    Ethynil and big_time2 like this.
    06-23-17 03:47 PM
    Thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions, after a thorough check, what remained is the behaviour of facebook messenger app. It is slower than before and when you tap into the small icon showing the person who wrote to you, it doesn't open, lags a lot until the screen blocks. Then, you have to cancel everything and try again. This happens since last June's upgrade. Somebody told me to replace it with messenger lite. I tried, but I do not believe it might be useful. Are there any suggestions to fix this issue? Thanks in advance

From my awesome Z30
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-12-17 03:33 AM
    Thanks to everyone for their kind suggestions, after a thorough check, what remained is the behaviour of facebook messenger app. It is slower than before and when you tap into the small icon showing the person who wrote to you, it doesn't open, lags a lot until the screen blocks. Then, you have to cancel everything and try again. This happens since last June's upgrade. Somebody told me to replace it with messenger lite. I tried, but I do not believe it might be useful. Are there any suggestions to fix this issue? Thanks in advance

From my awesome Z30
    Hello
    Uninstall Facebook and Messenger.
    Go to PlayStore and download Friendly. It is a Facebook client app which has also Messenger built in. Has a great Dark theme and uses very little battery resources.
    good luck
    big_time2 likes this.
    07-12-17 05:05 AM
    I've had my DTEK50 since last August and it still runs very well. I would say I have noticed a slight deterioration in battery performance, but that's probably normal as phones age. I have had issues with speed at times and apps freezing, but have always been able to rectify that with a cached Data clear or a reboot. Not on Facebook though. Still loving this phone....but it is tempting to try a KeyOne as a second device.
    big_time2 and terminatorx like this.
    07-16-17 06:03 PM
    07-17-17 04:12 AM
    Now blackberry wants to just be a software company. If this crap is how they do it, they're in fail mode.
    big_time2 and big_time2 like this.
    07-17-17 07:07 AM
    I also haven't notice any of what you described and I've had mine since August of last year, though I don't use Facebook or its Messenger app.

The battery, on the other hand, has been horrible for me the whole time. Brightness is down, I don't use any battery hogging apps, yet I still have to charge it twice a day almost every day of the week.

However, for a phone that costs less than $300, it is a great device. Look through other forums for other low-end phones and you'll be happy with your DTEK50.

It is still by far one of the only devices with close to stock Android, receives monthly updates, and is under $300. Not many phones out there can meet two of these three requirements.
    terminatorx likes this.
    07-18-17 05:44 AM
    Umm, Moto G4 answers all 3 requitements. It's also £100 cheaper and has Nougat.
    07-18-17 07:16 AM

From my awesome Z30
    I've turned my Location off and I must say battery life has improved noticeably, at least 10% better. I run the battery optimization for all apps, I've disabled or deleted many apps I don't want or need, especially Google stuff (I've only kept the main, important stuff).

I've turned Auto-Update off for the apps. I only update an app if I really need it or it's one of the core apps.

I use the battery saver which is set to start at 15%.

Instead of apps, where I can, I add the mobile sites to my home screen and they look like apps on my phone, so no need to download the actual app.

I make use of the DTEK app to the fullest extent possible and it does help with functionality by letting me know what app accessed what part of my phone (through notifications) and I can grant or cancel access and permission to the phone for most apps. You can also limit or erase the data an app uses on your phone.

Regularly clean the cached data.

I also make sure the phone has the latest OS update (depends of BlackBerry in my case)...

I use Adaptive Brightness which helps adjust the screen as needed. I keep the screen pretty dark anyway. Use Dark Theme for the HUB and any app that allows it.

Don't leave your phone not charged for long. Try to charge your phone to 100% , don't leave home with your phone at 80% etc. Not charging the phone regularly can mess with the battery.

Buy a mobile charger that can help.

There are many things and tricks you can do to improve your experience with the DTEK50.

I miss BB10 a lot. But if you already own a BlackDroid, might as well make the best of it.
    Last edited by adonesc; 07-19-17 at 09:37 PM.
    07-18-17 11:03 PM
    Hello I would add uninstall Facebook and Messenger as they are sever system and data users. Then install Friendly which is a Facebook client app which has built in messenger. Has a great Dark mode and the best it hardly uses battery life and system use.
    Good luck
    07-18-17 11:57 PM
    Have you tried a "hard reboot"? Did this to my son's phone and battery seems to have improved. My wife bought ours last July 26th when first available. Power off the device. Then hold down the power button and volume down. The phone will vibrate and boot in recovery mode. Hold the power button down an additional 10 seconds and when BlackBerry logo comes up let go. Give this a try. I saw it in the BlackBerry channels in regards to the DTEK60.
    08-09-17 01:13 AM
    The extra battery pack is my solution for battery life and I find a way to work with it. The rebooting is clearly much more prevalent in these Android based phones than the Z30. Personaly the Z30 was the best phone I ever had but the cons of that gave way to this phone.
    08-09-17 06:26 PM
    This is disappointingly familiar. I have had my dtek50 for about six months and over the last month, the battery life has deteriorated so badly that I was charging twice a day. Last week, after reading this thread, I tried implementing all the suggested changes but they made no appreciable difference. Then, to cap it all, I had 10% battery life left and I had to make a 3 hour car journey using the dtek50 as a satnav. I plugged in the charger, made sure it was charging then set up google maps for directions. Even with the charger plugged in and charging, the battery died 2 hours into the journey. I no longer have confidence in the phone and have dug out an older phone. I am hoping that it might be something to do with the June/July system update so will be watching for the next update but at the moment, my dtek50 simply isn't viable as a working phone.
    08-29-17 06:52 AM