You poor Canadians get ripped off on devices prices AND cell plans.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-26-16 11:11 PM
    So I just went onto Rogers website, Priv is cheaper than from Shop BB Canada but Leap and Passport are more expensive at Rogers. Wonder what DTEK50 will be.

Rogers Priv for $799 Off Contract, it's $899 from Shop Blackberry Canada
    Rogers Leap $349, it's $279 on Shop Blackberry Canada
    Rogers Passport $699, it's $599 on Shop Blackberry Canada
    Uh, the reason Priv is cheaper with Rogers is because they sell a different variant. They sell the -3 model with no wireless charging module. Shop Blackberry sells the -1 model with wireless charging and thus, it is $100 more. The pricing has been the same since launch.
    07-27-16 12:39 AM
    Who in their right mind would buy this over the Priv which is almost the same price from some sellers..

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 12:55 AM
    Exchange rate, plus the tax for not having to choose between Trump and Clinton.
    What, Politics?.. Where is ECM.. I'm giving you an imaginary infraction haha..
    07-27-16 01:02 AM
    With today's exchange rate, the phone would be $395 CAD. So we are talking about a $34 difference. Not so bad, as a fellow Canadian, I recognize that we usually get hosed on electronics to some degree.
    Kinda odd considering its a Canadian company. All good tho, that crappy beer is cheaper. Yet we somehow pay Corona prices for our BlackBerry phones. What a time to be alive
    07-27-16 01:20 AM
    I wish the new SoC in the model wouldn't have overheating issue.
    07-27-16 01:43 AM
    I wish the new SoC in the model wouldn't have overheating issue.
    617 is specifically a downclocked 615 to tackle heat issues.
    07-27-16 06:20 AM
    Can I ask why you bothered to stay with a BB device? Loyalty? At least the Priv had the keyboard but is there a reason you weren't considering other touchscreen semi-pure android competitors (Nexus, Asus, Oneplus,etc.)? Just trying to understand who is buying these devices and why because honestly I can't figure it out.

I mean we get screwed up here all over the place but its mostly due to exchange rates. I picked up a Oneplus 3 while I wait for BB to get their head on straight and release a fixed keyboard android phone.
    07-27-16 07:53 AM
    Exchange rate, plus the tax for not having to choose between Trump and Clinton.
    And you can't really put a dollar value on that!!

Posted via my BlackBerry p9982
    07-27-16 08:13 AM
    It would sell very well in Canada if it had a built-in physical keyboard and the price, unlocked, was $299CDN. But they want $429CDN.
    So, $299 CDN = $225 USD. Subtract $100 for the BlackBerry apps and security, leaves $125 for the hardware.

What do you think you can get for $125?
    07-27-16 08:25 AM
    Can I ask why you bothered to stay with a BB device? Loyalty? At least the Priv had the keyboard but is there a reason you weren't considering other touchscreen semi-pure android competitors (Nexus, Asus, Oneplus,etc.)? Just trying to understand who is buying these devices and why because honestly I can't figure it out.

I mean we get screwed up here all over the place but its mostly due to exchange rates. I picked up a Oneplus 3 while I wait for BB to get their head on straight and release a fixed keyboard android phone.
    Because some people like the BlackBerry apps (HUB, keyboard, Launcher, DTek), the OS hardening, and the fast security updates. If you don't, then fine.
    dietertong likes this.
    07-27-16 08:27 AM
    So I just went onto Rogers website, Priv is cheaper than from Shop BB Canada but Leap and Passport are more expensive at Rogers. Wonder what DTEK50 will be.

Rogers Priv for $799 Off Contract, it's $899 from Shop Blackberry Canada
    Rogers Leap $349, it's $279 on Shop Blackberry Canada
    Rogers Passport $699, it's $599 on Shop Blackberry Canada
    IIRC, carrier phones don't have wireless charging whereas Shop BlackBerry and Amazon phones do.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-27-16 08:50 AM

For me, maybe because I'm a "business" type user however I can use whatever phone I want (I pay for the device) the company just pays my bill however since I'm emailing clients all day, attending con-call's/meetings etc. I really do find that using the Hub, BB Calendar, BB Contacts (I don't know how different this is on Android though vs BB10), BB VKB are all far superior than what is available on a typical Android device. I also want to be able to run all of the apps available on this same device and not have to carry two phones or a phone and a tablet (that's what I'm doing now, Z30 and Nexus 9, it's a pain).

So for me it just "Makes more logical sense" the way the BB apps complement Android. Sure I can use the Cobalt apps on a regular Android phone however it doesn't work the same and I'm back to "side loading" like I did before on BB10 which I would like to avoid.
    gebco likes this.
    07-27-16 09:03 AM
    So, $299 CDN = $225 USD. Subtract $100 for the BlackBerry apps and security, leaves $125 for the hardware.

What do you think you can get for $125?
    You're very fixated on valuing the apps at $100. Have you thought what the mass public value it at?

Even companies simply don't care, they just use Good EMM, encrypt everything in the sandbox and call it a day, and they can support both BYOD and corporate owned devices, be it DTEK50 or an iPhone. What value does the hardening and Hub apps add to a setup like this, which BlackBerry themselves are selling?
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-27-16 11:03 AM
    I read an article that said they aren't launching with carrier support, but via amazon, best buy, etc

So I don't know.

#whatisclassic
    07-27-16 11:13 AM
    You're very fixated on valuing the apps at $100. Have you thought what the mass public value it at?

Even companies simply don't care, they just use Good EMM, encrypt everything in the sandbox and call it a day, and they can support both BYOD and corporate owned devices, be it DTEK50 or an iPhone. What value does the hardening and Hub apps add to a setup like this, which BlackBerry themselves are selling?
    It's not me that places the $100 value on it. It's BlackBerry. They obviously want $100 to make it work. Anything less, and they'd probably get out of devices.

They want sales too. I'm sure they'd be less than the $100 premium if they could.

If companies used Good EMM and called it a day, BlackBerry would be ecstatic! Lol
    Last edited by conite; 07-27-16 at 11:34 AM.
    07-27-16 11:13 AM
    I read an article that said they aren't launching with carrier support, but via amazon, best buy, etc

So I don't know.

#whatisclassic
    Not in the US anyway.

Full Canadian carrier support though.
    07-27-16 11:15 AM
    If I could buy any Android I want and pay $100 to install BB's flavor of Android OS I would do it, even if it meant no DTEK or HW hardening but to have the BB Hub and associated apps built into the OS I would pay for that.
    07-27-16 12:50 PM
    Not in the US anyway.

Full Canadian carrier support though.
    Have you seen any info from CDN carriers on when they will release info on this device or maybe when we can pre order from them?
    07-27-16 12:51 PM
    Have you seen any info from CDN carriers on when they will release info on this device or maybe when we can pre order from them?
    Nothing so far. Probably Aug 8 like ShopBlackberry.
    07-27-16 12:53 PM
    FYI, I have a sideloaded Sirius app on my z10, very buggy. My wife has a Samsung, the app is so smooth. That being said I still don't know if I can leave bb10

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 04:12 PM
    Who in their right mind would buy this over the Priv which is almost the same price from some sellers..

Posted via CB10
    I tried the Priv and just didn't like it. Too big and cumbersome. DTEK is just the right size and will fulfill my needs just fine. I love BB features and I like the RIM group so I am happy to support them in this endeavor.
    JeromeM and SolarBear28 like this.
    07-27-16 04:56 PM
    If you're willing to lock yourself to a carrier, the dtek50 will likely be close to $0 for a 2yr term...
    In the end the price is the same. You can either buy the phone at full price on day one or you can buy it over time at hopefully not more than the full retail price on a carrier contract.
    07-27-16 06:39 PM
    Upcoming EPP: $320+tax.
    07-27-16 08:49 PM
    Upcoming EPP: $320+tax.
    Get me one of those!
    07-27-16 08:54 PM
81 1234