Seen a few post that seem to indicate that the screen on the Idol 4 is Dragontrail glass and not a version of Gorilla Glass.

Anyone every have a phone with this type of screen. Sounds like it comes in between GG2 and GG3 in scratch resistance.

Really shouldn't matter too much with a good screen protector, but it also seems more brittle... so you'll want a good case too.
    07-27-16 01:51 PM
    I didn't think GG was "Smudge Resistant" but I see this mentioned about the DTEK is that something different?
    07-27-16 02:01 PM
    It's oleophobic (repels finger oils) which is a big plus; Gorilla Glass is NOT.

In addition the screen face is set back slightly from the bezel from what I can see, which should help a great deal in terms of avoiding fractures from moderate-distance drops. It won't help you if it lands wrong, but the odds are better if the bezel takes the shock than the edge of the screen.

The back sounds like it's a grippy material too, which is excellent -- that should reduce the risk of drops as well.
    07-27-16 02:07 PM
    So likely better off without a screen protector then, which is what I prefer. I wonder how the glass on the DTEK 50 will be compared to my Z30.
    07-27-16 02:19 PM
    So likely better off without a screen protector then, which is what I prefer. I wonder how the glass on the DTEK 50 will be compared to my Z30.
    Better off how? Oleophobic coatings are just that - coatings, which will wear off eventually, and a screen protector will always offer some amount of impact energy absorption. There's no situation where a phone is better off without a protector.
    07-28-16 11:52 PM
    Galaxy s2 had that coating. Meant to be less smudgy.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 03:16 AM
    The spec here is that it is not Gorilla Glass, which is the state of the art.

It's something cheaper and more prone to scratching.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-29-16 03:03 PM
    The spec here is that it is not Gorilla Glass, which is the state of the art.

It's something cheaper and more prone to scratching.

Do you know it's less prone to scratching, in which case attach a link. Or are you just pulling stuff out of your backside?

Edit. More prone to scratching....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    Last edited by Centerman66; 07-29-16 at 11:21 PM.
    07-29-16 06:15 PM
    The latter

07-29-16 06:16 PM
    Do you know it's less prone to scratching, in which case attach a link. Or are you just pulling stuff out of your backside?

Don't be lazy!

"DTEK50 has a stunning 5.2� full HD display, capable of displaying 16 million colours. The screen is made of scratch-resistant glass and features a specialized Oleophobic coating to protect against fingerprint smudges"
    http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones.../overview.html

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    07-29-16 06:26 PM

Just wait to see if anyone does a durability test with Dtek.

If you want to see how non Gorilla Glass compares, search on You Tube. See for yourself.

07-29-16 07:28 PM
    If you want to see how non Gorilla Glass compares, search on You Tube. See for yourself.

So not being Gorilla Glass automatically guarantees the product is inferior? Gorilla Glass can't be improved upon?

Tsk.

slagman5 likes this.
    07-29-16 09:17 PM
    Don't be lazy!

"DTEK50 has a stunning 5.2� full HD display, capable of displaying 16 million colours. The screen is made of scratch-resistant glass and features a specialized Oleophobic coating to protect against fingerprint smudges"
    http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones.../overview.html

You got it backwards. He was responding to someone who claimed GG was more scratch resistant than this one, he was asking him to prove that...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-29-16 09:50 PM
    Just wait to see if anyone does a durability test with Dtek.

Non gorilla glass? So, there's only two types of glass out there? Gorilla Glass and non Gorilla Glass?? Lol

You do realize that there are other companies that make products just like Gorilla Glass right? Just because it's the most famous brand at the moment doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best...

07-29-16 09:51 PM
    So not being Gorilla Glass automatically guarantees the product is inferior? Gorilla Glass can't be improved upon?

Tsk.

Didn't you know? There is only 2 types of glass out there in the world. Gorilla Glass and non-Gorilla Glass, lmao! :-D

CarbonKevin likes this.
    07-29-16 09:52 PM
    You got it backwards. He was responding to someone who claimed GG was more scratch resistant than this one, he was asking him to prove that...

Don't think so based on their reply to the quote they did.
    Regardless, this is a silly debate.

Bottom line is Gorilla Glass or this DTEK50 glass will both break if you drop it on cement the right way

07-29-16 10:21 PM
    I don't have an opinion on which glass is stronger. I just am asking if someone knows the facts definitively. Too many people just throw out stuff without any real facts around here.

07-29-16 11:23 PM
    I've no idea who is better.. But Dragontrail glass is used by Sony (Z1-Z5) and Xiaomi in a few phones.. Gorilla glass is definitely used more.. The majority of companies in the tech world opt for it.. Even Ford was thinking about using it in their cars..
    07-29-16 11:32 PM
    I've no idea who is better.. But Dragontrail glass is used by Sony (Z1-Z5) and Xiaomi in a few phones.. Gorilla glass is definitely used more.. The majority of companies in the tech world opt for it.. Even Ford was thinking about using it in their cars..
    How does Pyrex compare?, that stuff is invincible.
    07-29-16 11:53 PM
    How does Pyrex compare?, that stuff is invincible.
    Pyrex is great but I don't think its available now.. They stopped using it.. It was used in Telescopes and Lab stuff.. Its owned by corning too..
    07-30-16 12:55 AM
    Don't think so based on their reply to the quote they did.
    Regardless, this is a silly debate.

Bottom line is Gorilla Glass or this DTEK50 glass will both break if you drop it on cement the right way

*le sigh* I'll break it down for you, centerman was replying to lawguyman who said this:

"The spec here is that it (Dragontail Glass) is not Gorilla Glass, which is the state of the art.

It's (Dragontail Glass) something cheaper and more prone to scratching."

So lawguyman was saying the glass on the DTEK 50 is more prone to scratching than Gorilla Glass.

So centerman responded:

"Do you know it's less prone to scratching, in which case attach a link. Or are you just pulling stuff out of your backside?

Edit. More prone to scratching...."‎

Asking for proof that Dragontail Glass is more prone to scratching compared with Gorrilla Glass, defending Dragontail Glass...

We good? Good.

07-30-16 09:37 AM
    Pyrex is great but I don't think its available now.. They stopped using it.. It was used in Telescopes and Lab stuff.. Its owned by corning too..
    Too bad, it would have made the phone microwave safe... ;-)

anon(4297019) likes this.
    07-30-16 09:38 AM
    *le sigh* I'll break it down for you, centerman was replying to lawguyman who said this:

"The spec here is that it (Dragontail Glass) is not Gorilla Glass, which is the state of the art.

It's (Dragontail Glass) something cheaper and more prone to scratching."

So lawguyman was saying the glass on the DTEK 50 is more prone to scratching than Gorilla Glass.

So centerman responded:

"Do you know it's less prone to scratching, in which case attach a link. Or are you just pulling stuff out of your backside?

Edit. More prone to scratching...."‎

Asking for proof that Dragontail Glass is more prone to scratching compared with Gorrilla Glass, defending Dragontail Glass...

We good? Good.

For the record the edit: " More prone to scratching" was not there when I responded with link. It was still "less prone to scratching".

It is easy to interpret at that point that lawguyman was referring to Dragontail Glass which DTEK50 has. Thus asking for proof it was less scratch resistance.

Besides, let him correct me what he was referring to and not you. I didn't quote you did I? I'm sure he doesn't need your help.
    This is what happens when assumptions are made.

Last edited by Pinot2015; 07-30-16 at 11:11 AM.
    07-30-16 10:27 AM
    At some point it was reported that Gorilla Glass got a Vickers hardness test rating of 622 to 701.. While Dragontrail glass got a Vickers hardness test rating of 595 to 673.

Don't know which version of each glass got that rating though.. But Gorilla definitely has a monopoly over the market.. Dragontrail has oleophobic coating while I think gorilla doesn't have one.. You can apply oleophobic coating yourself but its a hassle.
    07-30-16 10:59 AM
    It's oleophobic (repels finger oils) which is a big plus; Gorilla Glass is NOT.
    No. Oleophobic is just a type of coating and its coated on gorilla glass for most phones. Has nothing to do with the type of glass used but wether or not the coating is put on it. Gorilla Glass can be coated with it the same as any other type of glass.
    07-30-16 11:40 AM
39 12