Ok, so the KeyOne is out and already has failed the hardware test
    https://www.google.co.in/amp/www.and...st-778499/amp/

Another post in this forum suggests the DTEK50 isn't being sold via BB anymore, old stock via other retailers maybe available

The June Security Patch isn't to be seen

The problem with the DTEK50 is that there is not much resale value for these as compared to the Moto G4S or G5 which are cheaper to buy but didn't have security patches like the DTEK50 hence spent more and got the DTEK50.

Don't get me wrong it was great will we got the patches for little less than a year.

Question is, what if support for the DTEK50 is done, does anyone have any thoughts of what to do with it? besides gifting it to Grandma

Porting CyanogenMod or what?

I hear the Nokia 6 has a great build quality and is trying to capture the market and is offering timely security patches which they are delivering AFAIK

Thoughts?
    06-10-17 04:27 AM
    I recently retired my Dtek50 when I got my KEYone. During that time, my 50 performed flawlessly. Did everything I wanted it to do and did it well. For the price (especially now!), it's a good phone for anyone who needs a good phone imo.

P.S.my keyone kicks much arse and I'm loving it. I'm definitely a BlackBerry fanboy of the worst kind, so I can't comment on any other brands without throwing up a little.
    06-10-17 04:46 AM
    I recently retired my Dtek50 when I got my KEYone. During that time, my 50 performed flawlessly. Did everything I wanted it to do and did it well. For the price (especially now!), it's a good phone for anyone who needs a good phone imo.

P.S.my keyone kicks much arse and I'm loving it. I'm definitely a BlackBerry fanboy of the worst kind, so I can't comment on any other brands without throwing up a little.
    😂 All the best

The hardware used for the DTEK50 was a copy of the Alcatel Idol 3 so am hoping the CyanogenMod for that phone should work on this one, just not tech savvy enough to try
    https://www.google.co.in/amp/www.cya...allow-rom/amp/

I love the DTEK50 and it does perform great but considering it does not have stuff like a fingerprint scanner is fine as long as it gets the latest security updates.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts though
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-10-17 04:53 AM
    I don't think it is possible locked bootloader
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-10-17 05:02 AM
    Like all other Berrydroids it can't be rooted. Give the phone to Grandma.
    06-10-17 11:44 AM

Hopefully you will still feel the same in about 12 months, when BB 'dumps' the Keyone, much like it has 'dumped' the Dtek 50/60 after just a year!!
    No OS updates, and monthly 'securest Android phone' updates getting later and later again, don't really hold out much hope for any TCL/BB handset 12 months after it's launch amid great hype....
    PS I too 'was' a great fan, from the 8700 through to the Z30, but, no more I am afraid...£275 for a Dtek50 in July 16, June 17, abandoned by BB, not one single 'monthly' update ever arrived on time, always 21 - 28 days late....
    Samsung is the way to go, sadly......
    06-13-17 03:10 PM
    Hopefully you will still feel the same in about 12 months, when BB 'dumps' the Keyone, much like it has 'dumped' the Dtek 50/60 after just a year!!
    What BlackBerry does or doesn't do with the DTEKs has absolutely NOTHING to do with choices that TCL will make.

We are dealing with an entirely different company, with its own agenda (which, among them is to make long-term inroads into the NA and EU markets).

As an aside, we have no idea what BlackBerry has ultimately decided to do with the DTEKs regarding Nougat, but they have not been abandoned. Monthly updates continue to flow.
    06-13-17 03:14 PM
    No OS updates, and monthly 'securest Android phone' updates getting later and later again, don't really hold out much hope for any TCL/BB handset 12 months after it's launch amid great hype....
    PS I too 'was' a great fan, from the 8700 through to the Z30, but, no more I am afraid...£275 for a Dtek50 in July 16, June 17, abandoned by BB, not one single 'monthly' update ever arrived on time, always 21 - 28 days late....
    Samsung is the way to go, sadly......
    The Nokia 6 is not looking too bad either. Nokia is making the same promise of monthly updates and has more internal storage and a fingerprint scanner for a lower price point.

Jerry Rig did the durability test and the phone is solid as well. Worth a look!
    06-13-17 06:09 PM
    wow, how strange. As a 60 user I was only looking at the Nokia 6 phone and specs yesterday. looks wise reminds me of me BB leap. It's on my radar and apparently the UK price is going to be around £230 unlocked on release.
    06-14-17 05:17 AM
    wow, how strange. As a 60 user I was only looking at the Nokia 6 phone and specs yesterday. looks wise reminds me of me BB leap. It's on my radar and apparently the UK price is going to be around £230 unlocked on release.
    Yeah, it's just come to India, decent specs for the price and is promising regular updates

Waiting for some reviews before getting it.
    06-14-17 05:26 AM
    Just been looking up the specs, and initial 'press' reviews.
    More memory & ram and a better price as well (£275 for a Dtek50, £230 for a Nokia 6)
    Comes with Nougat as standard as well.
    Serious competition for BB here methinks, will defo keep tabs on this, as a possible replacement when BB/TCL drop the Dteks later in the year.. (once their 1 year 'warranty' is up!!)
    06-14-17 02:03 PM
    Just been looking up the specs, and initial 'press' reviews.
    More memory & ram and a better price as well (£275 for a Dtek50, £230 for a Nokia 6)
    Comes with Nougat as standard as well.
    Serious competition for BB here methinks, will defo keep tabs on this, as a possible replacement when BB/TCL drop the Dteks later in the year.. (once their 1 year 'warranty' is up!!)
    I'm also looking at the OnePlus2 or the OnePlus3T with LineageOS running on it. Did a bit of research on LineageOS(perviously CyanogenMod) it is a custom Android for a long list of phones

It might be a bit of a pain to flash and install recovery but there are tons of YouTube videos out there, once this is done the LineageOS apparently has the latest updates for the list of phones they support

Unfortunately , Nokia 6 is not on that list as of now but out of that whole list I liked the OnePlus2 which is a one and a half year old phone and still has specs to beat the DTEK50 at a good price point via Amazon (only 3T being sold officially)

Even the MotoG4 plus is on that list

Sharing thoughts!
    06-15-17 07:29 PM
    😂 All the best

The hardware used for the DTEK50 was a copy of the Alcatel Idol 3 so am hoping the CyanogenMod for that phone should work on this one, just not tech savvy enough to try
    https://www.google.co.in/amp/www.cya...allow-rom/amp/

I love the DTEK50 and it does perform great but considering it does not have stuff like a fingerprint scanner is fine as long as it gets the latest security updates.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts though
    Dtek50 = Alcatel Idol 4
    Dtek60 = Alcatel Idol 4S
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-17-17 07:43 AM
    Folks, I sold my BlackBerry DTEK50 today for $80 less that what I bought it for. All things considered, am happy and you won't be seeing me around here anymore. Just FYI, sold it to a BB fan

Good luck to you all
    06-18-17 05:56 AM