As the title suggests, but I'm wondering in terms of the specs if it's considered a forward move or a backwards move? Specs seems similar, and I miss the keyboard, but I'm hearing that the Dtek50 build quality is better? Any thoughts ppl?
    02-02-17 06:15 PM
    I think it would be an upgrade in terms of battery life. I heard that the Priv suffers from a poor screen/keyboard - not sure if true, so don't take my word for it. I've not owned a Priv because I always thought they were a bit too expensive for the spec.
    02-02-17 06:22 PM
    I've wondered the same
    02-02-17 06:34 PM
    I don't have either device but it's been said often enough around here that, even though by numbers the Priv has higher specs, the DTEK is noticeably 'snappier' and seems more optimized.

Really, in my opinion the Priv looks awesome. Like, it literally 'looks' sweet! The 9800 was my favorite BlackBerry to date and the slider form is the coolest bar none. However, when it comes to actual performance, by the sounds of it, you are better with the DTEK50.

As with most 'Berries, I would suggest to go with which form factor suits you the best because that is the biggest difference.
    02-02-17 06:40 PM
    I had a DTEK 50 and still have the Priv and imo, the Priv is most definitely an upgrade. While the Dtek is generally snappy and the camera is a bit faster snapping the shot the picture quality isn't that great, the Dtek looks and feels cheap, it has no RGB LED, no wireless charging, no OIS camera, etc. The Priv was sluggish and ran hot at launch but with all the updates and Marshmallow mine runs really well and doesn't run hot anymore (other than when updating apps)
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    02-03-17 12:56 AM
    Spec-wise, consider also that the Priv has 32Gb of memory, while the Dtek50 only has 16.

Sure, both have SD card expandability, but a device with only 16Gb in 2016 seemed wrong. My Z10 has 16Gb and that's a 4 years old device.

Joel
    buwee and Gigolo69 like this.
    02-03-17 01:10 AM
    Priv is way slower

BlackBerry Since 2006. SE/Priv/DTEK50
    02-03-17 06:58 AM
    Keep in mind that PRIV went on sale in October/November of 2015 so at this point you're buying a device that's been out for more than a year. So unless you can get a really good deal on it, you're better off waiting a few more months to see if a new device gets announced soon.

DTEK50 went on sale in August of 2016. At least it's a newer device.
    02-03-17 07:59 AM
    I think it would be an upgrade in terms of battery life. I heard that the Priv suffers from a poor screen/keyboard - not sure if true, so don't take my word for it. I've not owned a Priv because I always thought they were a bit too expensive for the spec.
    Naw bro! Some people report here they get 1.5 days out of a single charge from the dtek50!

Clearly the reviewers were all wrong. Somehow BlackBerry made android, an OS that has been demonstrated to be really really bad at battery optimization, to be more battery efficient than stock Google devices...

Get it you won't be disappointed, I heard it feels premium too. High quality plastic.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 10:02 PM
    I have both a DTEK50 and a PRIV and I agree. I would consider the PRIV and upgrade over a DTEK50.

Performance wise I find both are on par for what I use, however, I do get better battery life from the PRIV and it does have a nicer screen.

That being said I am very happy I bought a DTEK50 because I find it is good value for the money and overall it is a very nice phone.
    02-04-17 06:56 AM
    I've had a 50 for 3 months now, and I'm using it as an Android training ground until I get my hands on a Mercury!!
    As much as the Priv is an overall "better" phone than the 50, the Mercury, for me, is the real upgrade! 😋
    Last edited by japsuki; 02-04-17 at 10:33 AM.
    falbo likes this.
    02-04-17 07:44 AM
    Naw bro! Some people report here they get 1.5 days out of a single charge from the dtek50!
    Are you being sarcastic?

How do these people use their phones to get a day and a half out of one charge? Mine is dead by ~ 7 o'clock almost every day. And don't even get me started on days when I have to make a few long phone calls or listen to music/podcasts.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    02-04-17 08:03 AM
    I normally get a full day out of my battery and that is including using the phone plus Web browsing and some other things.

It took a little time to figure out what apps were using power that I didn't need plus I installed the McAfee/Intel Battery Optimizer which also helped to identify some things I could do to extend my battery life.

I had to install a similar battery app on my old 9360.
    02-04-17 08:44 AM

Clearly the reviewers were all wrong. Somehow BlackBerry made android, an OS that has been demonstrated to be really really bad at battery optimization, to be more battery efficient than stock Google devices...

Get it you won't be disappointed, I heard it feels premium too. High quality plastic.

Posted via CB10
    I had 2 DTEK50's and they absolutely did not last 1.5 days. Whoever says that is clearly a liar OR they're sending 1-2 SMS messages per day (exaggeration but you see my point). I had to charge my DTEK50 3 times per day (heavy user). When Blackberry updated it, I was charging twice per day.

The DTEK50 is essentially the same as the Alcatel Idol 4. The Idol 4's battery life is widely known to be terrible. It's stupid to think the DTEK50 can be any better because it's the same battery and same device aside from the Blackberry additions.

Are you being sarcastic?

How do these people use their phones to get a day and a half out of one charge? Mine is dead by ~ 7 o'clock almost every day. And don't even get me started on days when I have to make a few long phone calls or listen to music/podcasts.
    Exactly. I was beginning work at 8am with 100% charge. By mid day I had around 55% on my DTEK50. By 5pm it was ready for its second charge.

I hate to say this, but *some* users on Crackberry flat out lie when it comes to reporting their DTEK50 battery life. The DTEK50's battery life was extremely poor on launch and after it settles in and has had software updates, it still needs charging twice per day. And that's exactly why I sold it. It was absolutely useless as a business phone, because you needed to keep it on a charger. And as a social phone - HA. Facebook/snapchat/whatsapp will have you charging 3-4 times per day. The DTEK50's strength is NOT it's battery life.
    big_time2 likes this.
    02-04-17 10:21 AM
    Poor screen? Not true at all.
    02-04-17 10:37 AM

I had 2 DTEK50's and they absolutely did not last 1.5 days. Whoever says that is clearly a liar OR they're sending 1-2 SMS messages per day (exaggeration but you see my point). I had to charge my DTEK50 3 times per day (heavy user). When Blackberry updated it, I was charging twice per day.
    That's what I think as well. I just find it extremely hard to believe that anyone who uses his or her DTEK50 for anything more than just a few messages here and there throughout the day can get a day and a half.

I wouldn't consider myself a heavy user, about 50 text messages, 5-10 emails, and just some web browsing (mostly just news sites), no Facebook, no Twitter, no Instagram, and it's almost always dead by 7 o'clock.
    02-04-17 09:53 PM
    Are you being sarcastic?

Exactly - if you are sending messages and emails constantly, even phones with proven battery performance don't last long.

Sometimes my S7 gives me 5 hrs 30mins SOT and sometimes only 3hrs 30mins. Depends on how much I'm using it. I won't be going around telling people I get 5hrs and 30mins SOT that's for sure - because I'm not a moron and I know how battery life works, particularly with the android OS.

But anyway yea - there are folks on these forums going around saying they get 1.5 days from their dtek50's and this would no doubt mislead poor souls into thinking the dtek50 isn't as bad as they say it is.

Anyways...

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    big_time2 likes this.
    02-05-17 07:10 PM
    Bought a Dtek50, and love it. Then my buddy got a brand new Priv for cheap. Only paid $130 more than what I did for my 50. And it is beautiful. That thing is worth it just by the way it looks alone, it looks like money. Screen is fantastic, and the keyboard isn't too small once you give it half a chance. He loves it. There's a few things I like better about my Dtek50, but I would trade him my phone plus some cash without hesitation. That Priv is badass.
    02-08-17 02:25 PM