Bought my son a dtek50 three weeks ago from shop blackberry. Today he dropped it and broke the screen. Anyone know how much blackberry will charge for the repair or am I better off spending $300 for a new one? I have checked the Internet for dtek digitizers and can't find any or I would fix myself. Also, is their a teardown of this phone yet? I've changed Z30's, Z10's and a Passport so I'm not scared to attempt it. Is the idol 4 digitizer the same as the dtek? Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-05-16 06:56 PM
    EBay or aliexpress has digitizers

09-05-16 07:44 PM
    Oops I read it wrong ...mybad
    Attached Thumbnails Cracked screen replacement needed...-screenshot_20160905-204651.jpg  
    ZWard3 likes this.
    09-05-16 07:47 PM
    Still new , I think you need to wait few months to show up @ etrade supply
    09-05-16 08:11 PM
    The Idol 4's digitizer is slightly different, try at your own risk. I'd assume it wouldn't work, due to minor differences between devices.
    09-05-16 11:42 PM
    It's a mid-range device so just get a new one.
    09-05-16 11:45 PM
    09-06-16 03:32 AM
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to call BlackBerry and see what they will charge to replace screen. I had a feeling that there may be some variance from the idol and the dtek.

09-06-16 06:28 AM
    Bought my son a dtek50 three weeks ago from shop blackberry. Today he dropped it and broke the screen. Anyone know how much blackberry will charge for the repair or am I better off spending $300 for a new one? I have checked the Internet for dtek digitizers and can't find any or I would fix myself. Also, is their a teardown of this phone yet? I've changed Z30's, Z10's and a Passport so I'm not scared to attempt it. Is the idol 4 digitizer the same as the dtek? Thanks for any suggestions.

Wow, hope that isn't a sign the screen is easily breakable.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 08:31 AM
    Let's just say my son is 14 years old. However, the phone had a rugged case and tempered glass screen protector on it when I watched it fall 2 feet onto a laminate floor. It had to hit at just the right angle. It cracked in top right corner of phone. I called shopblackberry this morning to see if they offered the customer care program for this phone and they said no. They offer it for the priv, passport, leap and classic though. Hmmm

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 08:38 AM
    No customer care. So then they should replace phone in the 30 day period.

09-06-16 11:45 AM
    Let's just say my son is 14 years old. However, the phone had a rugged case and tempered glass screen protector on it when I watched it fall 2 feet onto a laminate floor. It had to hit at just the right angle. It cracked in top right corner of phone. I called shopblackberry this morning to see if they offered the customer care program for this phone and they said no. They offer it for the priv, passport, leap and classic though. Hmmm

Posted via CB10
    That sucks. I don't like using cases, but decided to get one for my DTEK50 as it doesn't seem to be the most durable to drops, just looking at it. My Z10 seemed to be indestructible.
    Hope it works out for you, and if you wouldn't mind, could you pass along that screen cost and information from BlackBerry if you get it...just in case....knock on wood.

09-06-16 02:34 PM
    Spoke to BlackBerry today and they said they would email me a shipping label to return phone and someone would contact me with the cost to replace screen within 3 days. So far approximately 8 hours have gone by and I have not received an email yet. They did say I would have the option to get the repair done or not. I asked the representative if he good ballpark approximate cost and he said he didn't know. I also asked why they don't offer customer care for the dtek and he had no idea. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    09-06-16 05:36 PM
    Wow, hope that isn't a sign the screen is easily breakable.

Posted via CB10
    Looks more like a sign her son shouldn't have cell phones. LMBO
    09-06-16 06:21 PM
    Looks more like a sign her son shouldn't have cell phones. LMBO
    The OP took extra precautions to safeguard the phone. It does not sound like an extreme drop either.
    I for one, am very interested in the outcome of the cost. With the old bb phones, the problem didn't happen as often I think.
    09-06-16 07:03 PM
    Would this work

Attached Thumbnails Cracked screen replacement needed...-screenshot_20160907-015145.jpg  
    09-07-16 01:34 AM
    Would this work

It's quite possible but I'm not sure. I thought I read that the dtek has a slightly different bezel.

09-07-16 06:54 AM
    Ahhhh. Scratch that off list then

09-07-16 07:50 AM
    After a follow-up phone call today BlackBerry sent me the prepaid shipping label. I'll let you know what they charge for the replacement screen in a couple of days.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-16 10:48 AM
    A frustratingly sad story from Waterloo, the very origin of the BlackBerry: 3 weeks ago bought a dtek50 and a BB Smart Flip Case to protect it. Well, that didn't work out. Don't buy one of those cases. After the 4 foot drop it landed on the case (phew!) and then the phone separated from the case (WTH?) and flew about 12 inches in the air and landed face down on sharp gravel. Cracked screen but not shattered. Calls to several local repair shops and a local neighbourhood "repair guy" to which the answer was that nobody had any parts for the phone. And tech support was a hassle to deal with because they took 10 days to get an RMA to me to ship it to Houston. But they couldn't estimate the theoretical repair cost of a cracked screen, and if I refuse the repair estimate then I have to pay the shipping to get the device back to me. But even that cost was a mystery to them. They should know the costs for all these scenarios. And with all the goof ups Tech support made, and the general lack of service Blackberry could offer, and the poor quality of their own branded protective case, I was still not offered any kind of compensation, even a token offer. Yes, I accept responsibility for dropping the phone but BB needs to accept some stuff as well and step up to the plate. Especially since they would generally be considered a "struggling company" that can't afford to tick off customers. (This is my 4th and, I predict, my final BB device.) So I'm just keeping the device until parts show up locally and then I'll fix it myself or get my neighbourhood guy who charges $30 labour. Blackberry, blackberry, blackberry, why release a phone before you make any repair parts available anywhere in Canada? I'm so frustrated. Also I advise people to NOT BUY the Dumb Flip Case.
    09-07-16 11:54 PM
    Sounds like what I'm about to go to through. Out of curiosity what was the price they quoted you to fix the phone?

09-08-16 06:17 AM
    Thanks for the heads up concerning the flip case. I was planning on getting one.
    09-08-16 08:20 AM
    Tech support is not able to quote me any prices at all. They do not have access to repair prices. They have no possible way of contacting the repair center in Houston to ask about prices. They are of no help whatsoever. And the other stupid thing is that the RMA is free shipping one way only. If I do not approve of cost of the repair then I have to pay for return shipping. But once again there is no way they can tell me the cost of the return shipping. The whole system here is screwy. The departments are so separated and will not share information. Someone who is in charge higher up who has the power to fix this is not doing their job.
    09-08-16 01:56 PM
    Well I'll be damned! In exactly 7 days I arrive home and there is a package at my door from Texas. I opened it up and its a brand spanking new Dtek50 in the box. BlackBerry never called me to tell what the price would be to replace screen. They only sent me a customer survey through email last week which I was going to wait to fill out until after they would tell me the cost of the repair. I honestly didn't expect a freebie here. I'm impressed. Thought I would share this good experience with everyone. Now my son better not drop this phone!

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn and chris8189 like this.
    09-15-16 06:51 PM
    Need to chain it to his wrist, like mittens on strings Seriously good news though about replacement phone!

Posted via CB10
    heppyX likes this.
    09-16-16 08:45 AM
38 12