12-20-17 03:27 PM
91 1234
tools
    I knew the day would come but i've decided to sell on my 2nd (yes, 2nd) DTEK50. I've tried giving it a go. I really did. I tried to love it. I even sold one DTEK50 and got another. But the battery requires me to charge it twice per day (based on my usage) and Android itself feels like spyware from Google. I can see why the DTEK50 would be a good choice for some - the keyboard is fantastic and works well. But I can't enjoy Android (personal preference) and silly things such as the fact Blackberry used a reference design frustrate me. Even the boot time annoys me. On both my DTEK50's, just booting the phone would use 1-2% of battery life. Sure, you wont be rebooting the phone more than once per day but there you have it. A few little niggles along with the battery has caused me to get another phone (which unfortunately, isn't a Blackberry).

I do hope Blackberry make a comeback. It's a shame they will not be making their own phones from here on out. I just hope they look at their pricing. I think if I could afford the Priv, i'd be happier than I was with the DTEK. But the Priv is just simply too expensive for me to justify.
    10-06-16 05:03 PM
    I knew the day would come but i've decided to sell on my 2nd (yes, 2nd) DTEK50. I've tried giving it a go. I really did. I tried to love it. I even sold one DTEK50 and got another. But the battery requires me to charge it twice per day (based on my usage) and Android itself feels like spyware from Google. I can see why the DTEK50 would be a good choice for some - the keyboard is fantastic and works well. But I can't enjoy Android (personal preference) and silly things such as the fact Blackberry used a reference design frustrate me. Even the boot time annoys me. On both my DTEK50's, just booting the phone would use 1-2% of battery life. Sure, you wont be rebooting the phone more than once per day but there you have it. A few little niggles along with the battery has caused me to get another phone (which unfortunately, isn't a Blackberry).

I do hope Blackberry make a comeback. It's a shame they will not be making their own phones from here on out. I just hope they look at their pricing. I think if I could afford the Priv, i'd be happier than I was with the DTEK. But the Priv is just simply too expensive for me to justify.
    So what did you buy and or are using now that exceeds performance of the DTEK50 is non Android and is at its price point?

Via the Cobalt Classic
    10-06-16 05:27 PM
    So what did you buy and or are using now that exceeds performance of the DTEK50 is non Android and is at its price point?

Via the Cobalt Classic
    I am also curious to know which one he bought.
    10-06-16 07:21 PM

Via the Cobalt Classic
    I got the Lumia 950. 249.99 with display dock for continuum. 20mp zeiss camera, snapdragon 808, 3000maH battery, 3gb ram and 32gb storage. Removable battery and expandable storage. I paid 275 for my DTEK50 so I'm happy with my new purchase.
    10-07-16 06:16 AM
    This is the biggest thing that new users to Android miss. Many (if not all apps) continue running in the background even after you've exited them. Got to control the background processes.

With that said though, as soon as battery specs came out for the DTEK50, I knew I wouldn't even consider it. Why do you think BlackBerry was offering the powerbank bundle? It wasn't to be nice, lol. They new battery life was going to be terrible, believe me. Saw it coming from a mile away.
    You can use Greenify, is an Android app that helps you disable some apps from running in the background and eat your battery. Also, it comes with a feature called "Aggressive Doze", which enables Doze (an Android feature to preserve battery life) as soon as you lock your device.
    10-07-16 10:08 AM
    I got the Lumia 950. 249.99 with display dock for continuum. 20mp zeiss camera, snapdragon 808, 3000maH battery, 3gb ram and 32gb storage. Removable battery and expandable storage. I paid 275 for my DTEK50 so I'm happy with my new purchase.
    What about apps? That's the main reason I picked up the Dtek while waiting for the next pkb Android phone.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-07-16 04:07 PM
    What about apps? That's the main reason I picked up the Dtek while waiting for the next pkb Android phone.

I don't really use any apps that Windows Phone doesn't have. I don't play games on my phone. The main apps I use are actually Microsoft apps anyway e.g Outlook, Word, OneNote, Skype etc The only exceptions are Instagram and Lastpass - both of which are available on Windows Phone. So luckily, apps wont be an issue for me.
    10-07-16 07:35 PM
    I didn't mean games. The only game I have is solitaire. But always updated apps like Uber, Maps, WhatsApp, Duolingo, banking apps, radio and podcast apps from around the world etc... from what I've read Windows Phone has basically the same app-gap as BB10, but if it works for you then it's all good Personally I avoid everything Windows, but that's me.

10-08-16 03:08 PM
    I don't really use any apps that Windows Phone doesn't have. I don't play games on my phone. The main apps I use are actually Microsoft apps anyway e.g Outlook, Word, OneNote, Skype etc The only exceptions are Instagram and Lastpass - both of which are available on Windows Phone. So luckily, apps wont be an issue for me.
    Yeah, in that case, if your main ecosystem is Microsoft you are better with a windows mobile phone or course.
    10-08-16 06:10 PM
    I found that I had to turn off all Facebook notifications. I forced it to stop Facebook
    11-03-16 12:38 AM
    I found that I had to turn off all Facebook notifications. I forced it to stop Facebook
    Did it help with battery life?
    11-03-16 01:03 PM
    Yes when Facebook had control to do what it wanted my battery barely lasted a day. Now Facebook only updates when I tell it to, my battery lasts almost 3 times as long. After I use Facebook I go through the settings and force it to stop. I am still testing to see if turning off the notifications does the same. I think it will.
    11-03-16 04:08 PM
    I had the Lumia 950 as well when I moved away from bb10. Got the 950 when it was launched and quite liked it for a couple of months and I got bored with constant restarts, slow camera and buggy os. But didn't want to get android either. But when dtek50 was released I jumped on it. The BlackBerry version of Android is so much better than anything else. I do admit the camera and the tile concept on Windows is quite nice. Only if windows Mobile isn't as buggy I would've stuck with lumia.

Now a happy BlackBerry user with dtek50 and possibly looking at getting a dtek60.
    Barbareren likes this.
    11-03-16 06:20 PM
    I had the Lumia 950 as well when I moved away from bb10. Got the 950 when it was launched and quite liked it for a couple of months and I got bored with constant restarts, slow camera and buggy os. But didn't want to get android either. But when dtek50 was released I jumped on it. The BlackBerry version of Android is so much better than anything else. I do admit the camera and the tile concept on Windows is quite nice. Only if windows Mobile isn't as buggy I would've stuck with lumia.

Now a happy BlackBerry user with dtek50 and possibly looking at getting a dtek60.
    But have you tried other Android versions, like pure stock or HTC Sense? Why do you believe its the best Android version?
    11-04-16 04:28 AM
    But have you tried other Android versions, like pure stock or HTC Sense? Why do you believe its the best Android version?
    Yes I've tried htc m9 , Samsung and Sony. They're all very cluttered in terms of the UI. I'm sure they all have their strengths but with BlackBerry Android, everything just works without spending too much time on normal things. For example I've 4 different email accounts Gmail, iCloud and a couple of exchange accounts. With hub I can just configure them once and I get all my mails, calenders synced including the iCloud account.
    With other android email apps for iCloud calendar sync I need a separate app for it and configure that.

Also BlackBerry features like hub, keyboard. Productivity tab and pop up widgets make this the best android for me at least.
    Barbareren and vptsff like this.
    11-04-16 11:21 AM
    Yes I've tried htc m9 , Samsung and Sony. They're all very cluttered in terms of the UI. I'm sure they all have their strengths but with BlackBerry Android, everything just works without spending too much time on normal things. For example I've 4 different email accounts Gmail, iCloud and a couple of exchange accounts. With hub I can just configure them once and I get all my mails, calenders synced including the iCloud account.
    With other android email apps for iCloud calendar sync I need a separate app for it and configure that.

Also BlackBerry features like hub, keyboard. Productivity tab and pop up widgets make this the best android for me at least.
    I don't agree that sense is cluttered and sluggish. It's actually the fastest and simplest after stock android. Are you sure you owned one?
    11-05-16 06:56 AM
    I don't agree that sense is cluttered and sluggish. It's actually the fastest and simplest after stock android. Are you sure you owned one?
    Yes.. I guess those days I was still using bb10 and comparing everything to that. Played with my friends htc 10 - nice hardware but I prefer Nb android to htc.
    11-05-16 12:05 PM
    I really want to switch my DETEK50 for the DTEK60
    11-07-16 10:36 PM
    I am bored with my DTEK50 as I don't find it to be anything special. I have twice returned to my BB Classic, and keep returning to the DTEK50 feeling I haven't given it a fair trial. I love my Classic and have since the day I bought it when they were released--the look of it, the weight of it, everything about it other than the slowness. The DTEK50 has had terrible battery since the October upgrade. I find the apps interesting on android, but really not needed for me overall. I don't like the lightness of the phone, the grey slab seems very boring to me. I honestly don't see what people are so enchanted with. It seems blah to me. I guess I would switch my Classic to android if I could for the apps and speed. But I am going back to it and likely will sell my DTEK50, but I am dubious about finding a buyer that will give a fair price. I see people are still paying good prices for the Classic so I think it is the keeper of the bunch.
    11-18-16 01:10 AM
    It would be great if the next pkb device was the classic running android. I would certainly ditch my dtek50 for that ! But we can only live in hope this could be the one.
    11-18-16 02:45 AM
    Where is: 'going to buy a dtek, dont start a new thread post here' thread?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-16 03:50 AM
    Where is: 'going to buy a dtek, dont start a new thread post here' thread?

Posted via CB10
    I guess it's an unpopular topic, so you can post here or in the "I got a 50 thread" . The 50 is on its way to being the forgotten droidberry nyehehe... but I still do love mine
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-18-16 10:35 AM
    I am really happy with mine too
    11-18-16 12:29 PM
    Honor 8 = flagship specs
    DTEK50 = mid-range specs
    Price difference = $100

Honor 8 is definitely a better buy than DTEK50 for $100 more. Far better specs as you have listed, and Honor 8's specs are on par with Samsung Galaxy S7.
    Have you tried their UI? I couldn't stand it lol. good luck!
    11-25-16 05:18 PM
    Got mine for $279 on Amazon and it's great. And I came from an iPhone 6, which was the most dismal month of my life, and this thing is SO much better for me. The keyboard is worth the change alone. And battery life has been great, I don't know what everyone is going off about. As someone who owned a Passport SE previously, I know what decent battery life is. This is probably the best phone I've owned.
    geekazoid78 likes this.
    12-14-16 05:05 PM
91 1234