Went today to finally trade in my BB passport SE and pick up a dtek50, wasnt impressed at all and ended up picking another priv :/
    12-20-16 10:27 AM
    Went today to finally trade in my BB passport SE and pick up a dtek50, wasnt impressed at all and ended up picking another priv :/
    What did you not like about the dtek50?
    12-22-16 09:39 AM
    What did you not like about the dtek50?
    The generic shape and build
    12-22-16 09:45 AM
    I use my bb dtek50 also for sms, calls and internet...but i dont recharge my phone 2 times per day.
    01-29-17 11:28 PM
    Battery life: meh, better than a Z10, no worse than a Z30, worse than a Passport.

Audio: About the same as a Z10/Q10, worse than the Z30, worse than the Passport.

Screen: About the same as a Passport, better than a Z10, worse than the Q10/Z30

It's an OK device. I preferred my Passport and Windows phone to it.

The android hub is notably inferior to the BB10 hub. They should have simply replicated it. They didn't.

No dark hub, no dark theme for BBM.
    Last edited by Old_Mil; 02-01-17 at 08:11 AM.
    02-01-17 07:57 AM
    Returned my DTEK50 last week for a refund.

The price was great ($225 new). It came with a July 2016 patchlevel, but immediately updated to March 2017. Used it as a daily driver for a week. Lots of phone at a very cheap price, and I liked the grippy feeling back. Since the official DTEK50 soft case was a disastrous fit, I just used it without the case, and preferred the way the phone felt. Much much thinner than my iPhone 7.

I liked the BlackBerry keyboard and figure that if they ever release it for iOS, it will be an immediate hit (there are really just two decent iOS keyboards -- stock and Google). I appreciated the haptic feedback while typing, which I've missed since the Nokia Symbian days.

Most of my complaints are with Android. I am just not in that ecosystem outside of Google Keep, and do not like to support their pro-censorship stance. Even after "disabling" Google Maps, I would get "traffic advisory" notifications while driving. There really didn't seem to be a way to de-couple Google from Android. The Hub was okay -- I used it before and after last week's update, but it would never update WhatsApp notifications.

Hardware wise, coming from iPhone 7, the DTEK50 felt like stepping back in time. From microUSB to the lack of fingerprint reader, to the inability to install ad blocking software, it just wasn't for me. Battery life was pretty poor as well. One night I forgot to put the phone on to charge, and it dropped from 60% to 19% by the time I woke up. I honestly think the OP2 I gave up last spring before ditching Android was a better phone than DTEK50.

Overall, I like BlackBerry's take on Android, but at the end of the day it's still the Android monster underneath.

I would consider a DTEK60 if only it had the same grippy back as the DTEK50.

EDIT: I considered DTEK50 hoping it would have Picture Password to compensate for the lack of a fingerprint sensor. No such luck.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    04-06-17 03:38 PM
    I'm disgusted with my Dtek50. It gave me an error the first week I had it and it's just gotten worse over time. BB support didn't do anything. They had me go in there and clear all the data and Force Stop the applications that were giving me problems, the keyboard, the HUB, the camera...UGH! I called and demanded they send me a new one because these bugs are just too much. They offered to reset the system. I'd have to back everything up and go through all of that. What's the point if it was giving me problems from the get-go?? Sending a replacement is not part of their warranty process so I'm just keeping this crappy phone for now until I go and buy a non-BB. I've had BB since 2008 and have told my friends I'll never switch but that doesn't matter to BB. Such baloney.
    04-19-17 11:49 AM
    You got a refund from BlackBerry??
    04-19-17 11:50 AM
    Returned my DTEK50 last week for a refund.

The price was great ($225 new). It came with a July 2016 patchlevel, but immediately updated to March 2017. Used it as a daily driver for a week. Lots of phone at a very cheap price, and I liked the grippy feeling back. Since the official DTEK50 soft case was a disastrous fit, I just used it without the case, and preferred the way the phone felt. Much much thinner than my iPhone 7.

I liked the BlackBerry keyboard and figure that if they ever release it for iOS, it will be an immediate hit (there are really just two decent iOS keyboards -- stock and Google). I appreciated the haptic feedback while typing, which I've missed since the Nokia Symbian days.

Most of my complaints are with Android. I am just not in that ecosystem outside of Google Keep, and do not like to support their pro-censorship stance. Even after "disabling" Google Maps, I would get "traffic advisory" notifications while driving. There really didn't seem to be a way to de-couple Google from Android. The Hub was okay -- I used it before and after last week's update, but it would never update WhatsApp notifications.

Hardware wise, coming from iPhone 7, the DTEK50 felt like stepping back in time. From microUSB to the lack of fingerprint reader, to the inability to install ad blocking software, it just wasn't for me. Battery life was pretty poor as well. One night I forgot to put the phone on to charge, and it dropped from 60% to 19% by the time I woke up. I honestly think the OP2 I gave up last spring before ditching Android was a better phone than DTEK50.

Overall, I like BlackBerry's take on Android, but at the end of the day it's still the Android monster underneath.

I would consider a DTEK60 if only it had the same grippy back as the DTEK50.

EDIT: I considered DTEK50 hoping it would have Picture Password to compensate for the lack of a fingerprint sensor. No such luck.
    04-19-17 11:51 AM
    No, I purchased from an online reseller who had a 30 day no questions asked return policy.
    04-20-17 05:00 PM
    No, I purchased from an online reseller who had a 30 day no questions asked return policy.
    Oh, OK. Thanks
    04-20-17 08:13 PM
    I sold it. Was a cute device ...more for kids...first phone type thing. But no match for the Passport.
    05-10-17 11:59 AM
    I second that ....all of it, I will for sure buy a keyOne
    05-17-17 04:06 PM
    Folks, I sold my BlackBerry DTEK50 today for $80 less that what I bought it for. All things considered, am happy and you won't be seeing me around here anymore. Just FYI, sold it to a BB fan

Good luck to you all

Also, just FYI, moving to the onePlus3T
    Last edited by iSh0w; 06-18-17 at 05:59 AM.
    06-10-17 04:58 AM
    Bought dtek 50 in spring now glass is broke. Is is warranty? How and where do i get it fixed in kitchener waterloo area?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-17 02:11 PM
    Where do you get dtek 50 repaired now. Glass broke. Any warranty bought in spring??

Posted via CB10
    12-20-17 02:27 PM
91 ... 234