Android sucks...it really does.
    I really like the new DTEK50, but it is getting so frustrating not being able to do the simple things that BB10 was so good at. For example, managing the SD card on BB10 was a breeze. Making a simple change like adding notifications or ring tones, piece of cake. On this Android it's like trying to get into Fort Knox. I get that it's new to me and I'll get better with it in time, but it sure is frustrating. And Googling my issues I am hardly alone...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 08-18-16 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Language
    SlcCorrado, acovey, sethr and 5 others like this.
    08-18-16 12:55 AM
    Yeah it's a little different. You'll get used to it after some time.

08-18-16 01:04 AM
    As I said before, I really like the DTEK50. But Android is where I am struggling. I miss the buttery smooth UI and gestures. Multitasking also sucks on Android (and iOS btw). And Android's battery inefficiency is killing me. The Z10's battery was only 1800mah but I think I got similar results..

And Android just feels sluggish. I am constantly busy closing apps. Did that on BB10 as well, but it felt much more natural to close an app after swiping up

08-18-16 01:11 AM
    I despise android. Always have. Tried it with the Priv and gave up n went back to Classic

I got an iphone 6s for whatever reason and even tho it's better the Android (I came from IOS awhile ago) it really does suck compared too BlackBerry OS. So SIMPLE and fluid.

What a wasted OS considering the direction it's going. Gonna keep my Classics as long as I can

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 01:39 AM
    I really miss the 'flow' of BB10. Swiping to get around in the OS makes so much sense, it's frustrating that it's only built into android on an ap-by-app basis it seems. Some apps, a swipe from the left pulls up the menu, sometimes it goes 'back' and sometimes nothing happens at all and you have to use the back arrow. It's nothing major, but android does feel a lot more 'clunky' than BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 02:04 AM
    I agree with you guys. Even though I love my new DTEK50 I love some of the things my Z10 could do better.
    One thing I am still doing since getting my DTEK50 is swiping up on the screen to wake it. You now have to tap twice on the screen or push the power button. I have had my Z10 since it first came out in 2013 so it has become so natural to swipe up to wake it. I just can't seem to stop wanting to do it on my new phone even though it does not work. This is something I will have to get used to.
    Also one other thing that I do not really like is notifications on the DTEK50. It was so easy to setup ringtones and notifications for just about anyone and everything on BB10. It is now a little bit more complicated and not as easy. I have been able to set all my ringtones and notifications I had on my Z10 but it took a lot of time to setup. Also for BBM you can only set one notification tone for the whole app and not for any individual contacts like on BB10. I was really upset by this because BBM is my most used app and I always like to know who is contacting me before I look at my phone.
    So as the saying goes there is an app for that and I found one to help me. If you are interested the app is called bbRingtones and you can find it on the google play store. What it does is let you set individual ringtones for your BBM contacts and other instant messenger apps. It works for BBM, WhatsApp, Hangouts, Facebook and Twitter. You can also customize ringtone and LED for any other app you have. This is a great app and I am so glad to have found it. It literally made me so happy when I found it. It is a free app but to get all the features you do have to pay only $0.99. Also to add individual ringtones for contact you need to wait till someone sends you a message first. So just send them a message on BBM for example and once they reply you can setup ringtone for them.
    08-18-16 10:53 AM
    Yeah it's a little different. You'll get used to it after some time.

Have a couple of Android phones and have been using Droids for years. Not used to it. Even using almost totally pure Marshmallow (Moto G2) is underwhelming. It was supposed to be so great. It's not. Actually KitKat was better. Overall.

No Android has been as good as BB10 is right now on my Z30. Everything just quicker more intuitive, and oh! Wow! Settings! Settings in BB10 is a toolkit. Android settings is like a kid's birthday party swag bag by comparison.
    chilss, Paof-7, KAM1138 and 4 others like this.
    08-18-16 11:40 AM
    I agree OP 100%. I really like the feel of the hardware... It looks nice it, feels nice. Apps work great. but generally speaking.. how the hell did BB10 not catch on better?! It does so many things better than android. Notifications. File management. Productivity. I'm beyond disappointed that BB10 is dead. If BlackBerry would release a high end BB10 touchscreen with an updated android runtime I would buy it for whatever price. Android is nice. But BB10 is better for what I need.

08-18-16 12:09 PM
    I agree OP 100%. I really like the feel of the hardware... It looks nice it, feels nice. Apps work great. but generally speaking.. how the hell did BB10 not catch on better?! It does so many things better than android. Notifications. File management. Productivity. I'm beyond disappointed that BB10 is dead. If BlackBerry would release a high end BB10 touchscreen with an updated android runtime I would buy it for whatever price. Android is nice. But BB10 is better for what I need.

Why? Because of a failure in marketing, support, and timing, and also failure to close the app-gap. I think it was firmly based in the PERCEPTION that the Ecosystem issue could not be overcome, which became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

No Apps-->no Customers, No Customers -->no apps = Downward Spiral.

Some people will tell you that it was BB10 itself. Many people say "BB10 failed." No, BB10 is an excellent product.

BlackBerry has failed with the PRIV in much the same way...why? OH yes, because it isn't the Products that are the problem.

KAM
    08-18-16 12:17 PM
    Simples, blackberry. Did not show case side by side what the os. Could do **** **** marketing. And bone heads working for them where just like nodding donkeys. Sales marketing etc etc

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 12:39 PM
    I really don't get why some of you are complaining that you don't like Android. Who is holding a gun to your head and telling you that you can't use your BB10 phone anymore? If you find it so much more productive than Android then use BB10. Blackberry is still supporting it and there is no reason you shouldn't use it. Unless you just want to complain for the sake of complaining.
    08-18-16 12:46 PM
    I really don't get why some of you are complaining that you don't like Android. Who is holding a gun to your head and telling you that you can't use your BB10 phone anymore? If you find it so much more productive than Android then use BB10. Blackberry is still supporting it and there is no reason you shouldn't use it. Unless you just want to complain for the sake of complaining.
    Why are you complaining about people comparing their experience with two different OS offered by Blackberry?

Unless you just want to complain about people complaining for the sake of complaining.

More seriously...I'm trying to evaluate my options for the future. So far, the experience isn't quite there, but not horrible.

KAM
    Paof-7, chopachain and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-18-16 12:50 PM
    Why are you complaining about people comparing their experience with two different OS offered by Blackberry?

Unless you just want to complain about people complaining for the sake of complaining.
    I do.
    anon(5597702) and Mecca EL like this.
    08-18-16 12:51 PM
    I do.
    Points for Honesty at least...

KAM
    08-18-16 12:54 PM
    I understand that BlackBerry can't provide a new runtime, but they could provide the source and the hooks for one. Then, some enterprising person could take the newest Android and get it working.
    08-18-16 12:54 PM
    Just bought a used Passport and already loving BB10. Seriously, in my opinion the old dead webOS is still the best OS ever made, but BB10 is certainly a close match to it.

Future? Dark. I own an iPhone 6 Plus, and it attends me pretty dawm good, but it is not as good as it could be having in mind its price bar. Simple like that. Android? Sorry. Galaxy Note 1, 2 and 3, various models of Nexus and Galaxys S (the last one a S6 flat) and much more models, I'm certain: it is not an option for me. WindowsPhone? Microsoft killed it too, as Blackberry did with BB10.

I really would love to have a kind of Passport 2 on future. But it won't happen. Sad. But true. So... Long live to my new old Passport. Together with my iPhone and its apps that doesn't exist on BlackBerry OS.

Cheers,
    08-18-16 01:17 PM
    Very good to read all your posts. While all I've known is Z10, and am concerned about differences with DTEK50 think I'm still going to take a chance

Posted via CB10
    Ursus Rufus and brian4591 like this.
    08-18-16 05:16 PM
    Android is absolutely awful I agree, I've been using my new Priv for two weeks now. I still use my Passport SE all the time. When I need an app I use the Priv, when I'm done I go back to the Passport. I had to pay like $20 for stupid apps that should be native, like music player, file manager, etc. Android is awful

Posted via Passport SE
    acovey likes this.
    08-18-16 05:49 PM
    The reality is there are limited apps on BB10 and getting worse by the day.

If you don't care about apps then BB10 wins.
    If you do care about apps and customization then Android wins. I think iOs is second to Android OS using both extensively.

Posted via my DTEK50
    08-18-16 06:08 PM
    It comes down to what the user finds is the most important factor. OS, ecosystem, bling or just going with the crowd.

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    Jrox74, Paof-7 and Ursus Rufus like this.
    08-18-16 06:24 PM

If you do care about apps and customization then Android wins. I think iOs is second to Android OS using both extensively.

Posted via my DTEK50
    Totally agree. It's a shame but it's true
    08-18-16 07:09 PM
    How about more venting than complaining. I would have very much loved to stick with BB10, but the app issue was enough for me to switch. I love my new DTEK50, but the Android experience is frustrating so far...especially coming from the smooth simple BB10. So just let me vent, OK!!

vag65 and skinnymike1 like this.
    08-18-16 07:21 PM
    As I said before, I really like the DTEK50. But Android is where I am struggling. I miss the buttery smooth UI and gestures. Multitasking also sucks on Android (and iOS btw). And Android's battery inefficiency is killing me. The Z10's battery was only 1800mah but I think I got similar results..

And Android just feels sluggish. I am constantly busy closing apps. Did that on BB10 as well, but it felt much more natural to close an app after swiping up
    Part of the reason you're having battery issues is because you are closing apps. That's not how Android was designed to work - Android manages apps and closes them when it needs to, but otherwise they stay loaded in RAM, which means they don't have to be reloaded from storage, which means the phone uses less power and responds faster. This is NOT a desktop where unused apps need to be closed - it's an entirely different design model.

Here are some relevant articles, and while they're talking about automated task killers (which were popular years ago on Android), the same thing applies to users manually closing apps:

HTG Explains: Why You Shouldn?t Use a Task Killer On Android

Task killers and memory cleaners can actually do more harm than good and you should stop using them
    08-18-16 07:41 PM

Posted via my DTEK50
    Leaving aside the app issue. I'm not an app person. The few that I need are available either in amazon or in bb world.

BB10 the best
    iOS an easy second
    Android last. Sorry

Just my opinion. Fwiw.
    08-18-16 07:42 PM
    I understand that BlackBerry can't provide a new runtime, but they could provide the source and the hooks for one. Then, some enterprising person could take the newest Android and get it working.
    No, they can't. They secured their OS so that only someone with BB's signing keys can build OS components that will run on BB10 hardware. If they gave that way, they'd completely destroy their security model for BB10, which was never designed to accommodate open-source anything related to the OS.
    08-18-16 07:43 PM
49 12