My options are limited when it comes to phones. GSM phone service is very sketchy in my area. Will Verizon, Sprint or US Cellular carry the phone?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-26-16 11:05 AM
    For now..

Rogers, Bell, TELUS, WIND, Videotron and SaskTel among others in Canada. In the U.S., DTEK50 will initially be available in Best Buy, B&H and Amazon. Availability of DTEK50 in additional global channels and countries will be announced in the coming weeks.
    07-26-16 11:07 AM
    TCL don't make a Verizon version of the idol 4 do they ?
    methodinsane likes this.
    07-26-16 11:08 AM
    The BlackBerry site + FCC page only show an Americas and an EMEA version, no sign of CDMA.

North America and Latin America:

FD-LTE 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20, 29, 30(2100/1900/1800/1700/850/2600/700/700/800/700/2300 MHz)
    HSPA+ 1, 2, 4, 5, 8 (2100/1900/1700/850/900 MHz)
    Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific:

FD-LTE 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 20, 28A (2100/1900/1800/2600/900/800/700 MHz)
    TD-LTE 38, 40, 41 (2600/2300/2500 MHz)
    HSPA+ 1, 2, 5/6, 8 (2100/1900/850/900 MHz)
    Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
    07-26-16 11:14 AM
    It wasn't in the recent FCC listings... could make it in a few months, like the PRIV did.

But that would cost BlackBerry much more unless TCL was already planning a CDMA version.

If they don't do a CDMA version... that is going to really cut the potential enterprise market. A market that I think is too small already.
    07-26-16 11:14 AM
    If they don't do a CDMA version... that is going to really cut the potential enterprise market. A market that I think is too small already.
    More importantly neither versions support Band 13, so it wouldn't even work on VoLTE properly.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-26-16 11:26 AM
    According to BB support:

"Cait: Apologies, but the DTEK50 is still not compatible with Verizon as the device is only compatible with GSM networks."

So Verizon is a major carrier in the states and the DTEK50 won't work. Nice work Mr. Chen and team.

I'm "officially" done with this company and all the non-sense. Chen has stated the media is conditioned to ask about phones when they are a SW company now. That's fine, but I think he missed the mark not recognizing that BB/RIM started as a HW company and that's why Crackberry even exists...No phones, no Crackberry.

Kicking my z30 and Z10 to the curb soon unfortunately. I was eager to try this new device, but I can no longer support a company so out of touch with their user base.

Have fun guys...over and out!
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    07-26-16 11:48 AM
    According to BB support:

"Cait: Apologies, but the DTEK50 is still not compatible with Verizon as the device is only compatible with GSM networks."

So Verizon is a major carrier in the states and the DTEK50 won't work. Nice work Mr. Chen and team.

I'm "officially" done with this company and all the non-sense. Chen has stated the media is conditioned to ask about phones when they are a SW company now. That's fine, but I think he missed the mark not recognizing that BB/RIM started as a HW company and that's why Crackberry even exists...No phones, no Crackberry.

Kicking my z30 and Z10 to the curb soon unfortunately. I was eager to try this new device, but I can no longer support a company so out of touch with their user base.

Try out the new Moto device.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 11:53 AM
    According to BB support:

Given the level of support Verizon gave for the Priv, I think it's safe to say BlackBerry aren't terribly sad to see them go.

Instead, go bug Alcatel about making a Verizon phone, since they're the ultimate designer and manufacturer.
    07-26-16 11:59 AM
    Given the level of support Verizon gave for the Priv, I think it's safe to say BlackBerry aren't terribly sad to see them go.

Instead, go bug Alcatel about making a Verizon phone, since they're the ultimate designer and manufacturer.
    You do recognize that Verizon is a MAJOR carrier in the US? The PRIV's lack of success has less to do with the carrier than it does the company that manufactured it and missed the mark. A slide phone with costs $700. Gee, that's a no-brainer.
    07-26-16 12:02 PM
    Make that switch to a GSM carrier. I did, I'm in NY after MUCH apprehension I moved to T-Mobile. And I have no problems with my Priv running Marshmallow and no problems with service.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-26-16 12:05 PM
    You do recognize that Verizon is a MAJOR carrier in the US? The PRIV's lack of success has less to do with the carrier than it does the company that manufactured it and missed the mark. A slide phone with costs $700. Gee, that's a no-brainer.
    A major carrier that's stuck with their own special snowflake technology, unlike the others. The expense for making a specific Verizon model, testing it, shipping it through the FCC produces delays at best (Verizon Priv) and cancelations (ever wonder why there's no SQW100-2?) at worst. Alcatel didn't see that as worthwhile, hence neither did BlackBerry in rebranding an Alcatel phone as their own.
    07-26-16 12:07 PM
    A major carrier that's stuck with their own special snowflake technology, unlike the others. The expense for making a specific Verizon model, testing it, shipping it through the FCC produces delays at best (Verizon Priv) and cancelations (ever wonder why there's no SQW100-2?) at worst. Alcatel didn't see that as worthwhile, hence neither did BlackBerry in rebranding an Alcatel phone as their own.
    I'm not sure what you are arguing, but can you breakdown the the subs for each carrier then see if this make more sense. I've been with Verizon forever and also have incentives to stay put. I've used every other BB on Verizon so is it unrealistic to expect the new phone with work on their network as well?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-26-16 12:18 PM
    This is not going to be a phone worth switching carriers for.

In the last year, I have had Verizon, T Mobile, and now AT&T. Verizon is the vastly superior network everywhere I traveled. It's not even close. Don't leave them if you can afford the bill.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-26-16 12:21 PM
    I'm in the UK. When will it be released here, at what �price and will it be supported and be compatible with the major networks here, i.e. O2, Vodafone etc? I hope the screen will be a lot brighter than the Z30 and at least as good as Wileyfox Swift which I am trialling at present

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 12:24 PM
    Doubt that BB will be coming back to Verizon anytime soon.

Verizon would have pressured BB to put all their crapware onto the phone. Going to be even worse since they bought Yahoo. I do hope BB puts out a model that has the same radio as the Moto G4, which is a budget phone that can access Verizon CDMA bands as well as GSM so you can transfer an activated Verizon sim to it and it works.
    mavsguy842 likes this.
    07-26-16 12:26 PM
    I'm in the UK. When will it be released here, at what �price and will it be supported and be compatible with the major networks here, i.e. O2, Vodafone etc? I hope the screen will be a lot brighter than the Z30 and at least as good as Wileyfox Swift which I am trialling at present

Posted via CB10
    �275 in the UK.
    07-26-16 12:35 PM
    ...BB/RIM started as a HW company and that's why Crackberry even exists...No phones, no Crackberry. !
    RIM-BlackBerry's early success in the smartphone market was based on selling devices as part of an overall strategy to profit from software subscriptions. Then it was BIS, now it is BES and other mobile security software.
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-26-16 12:43 PM
    Don't assume that Verizon wanted to sell the DTEK50. Maybe Verizon will be on board with the pkb device, maybe not. Either way, BBRY wanted a hardware partner for the DTEK50 and the best deal they got was with someone who was doing just fine without a CDMA model.
    07-26-16 01:35 PM
    Would like to know when Canadian carriers are going to roll it out so I can see an on contract price for it.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 02:19 PM
    Would like to know when Canadian carriers are going to roll it out so I can see an on contract price for it.

Posted via CB10
    It will be $99 tops. Free if they are smart.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    07-26-16 03:21 PM
    It will be $99 tops. Free if they are smart.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    So $99 then.
    07-26-16 03:29 PM
    So $99 then.
    Lol good one.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 03:57 PM
    I'm not sure what you are arguing, but can you breakdown the the subs for each carrier then see if this make more sense. I've been with Verizon forever and also have incentives to stay put. I've used every other BB on Verizon so is it unrealistic to expect the new phone with work on their network as well?
    Not every BB, unless you can find the CDMA versions of the Passport, Leap, 9810, etc.

Anyway, carriers can say no to offers from manufacturers, or they can say yes but change their minds later (AT&T with the Z30, Verizon with the Passport), or it can be the manufacturer's decision to exclude a carrier. There's no Alcatels for sale on the Verizon website, and Alcatel's website only shows phones for T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint and their MVNOs, so I'm not sure which party made the decision. Still, BlackBerry is in no position to browbeat either or both of Alcatel and Verizon into making a DTEK50 for Verizon.
    mister2d likes this.
    07-26-16 04:01 PM
    I wanted the Passport so much I switched one of my lines to AT&T. To my surprise, I had some service in areas I didn't have with Verizon. But still Verizon had the overall better service in the extremely rural areas. I'm gonna switch another line over very soon.

Remember, if all heck breaks loose and you need an emergency phone call you can still get 911 from anywhere. You can still get 911 where there is no service at all. I didn't know this until about a month ago. A friend of mine was stranded in the Nevada desert with her car broken down, stranded with NO cell service. When she finally was able to get help, the rescue people told her she could have called 911 as it is satellite driven. Maybe this info will help someone as ignorant as I was about this particular matter.
    07-26-16 06:22 PM
81 123 ...