The article "BlackBerry DTEK50 review", BY BLA1ZE, Tuesday, Aug 9, stated that "DTEK50 supports Camera2 API opening the doors to other camera apps such as the fantastic Manual Camera". BlackBerry DTEK50 review | CrackBerry.com

However, both "Manual Camera Compatibility" and the "Filmic Evaluator" apps indicate that manual mode is not supported.

Does anybody know the status of Camera2 API on DTEK50? is it actually available on DTEK50?
    Thank you.
    12-27-16 09:29 PM
    It was available and then removed in the DTEK60, I never went back after the DTEK50 review to check again because, why would I? But if those apps are stating it's not available seemingly BlackBerry removed it at some point, which is kinda odd and dumb. I don't have my DTEK50 with me to check though.
    12-27-16 11:20 PM
    Camera2 API was one of the things that made me decide for the DTEK50. Right out of the box, Manual Mode was grayed-out in the BB Camera. After installing a multitude of initial updates, including one for the BB Camera app, the Manual Mode became available. Now, the BB Camera app gives me access to multiple manual controls. However, testing a few well-known manual camera apps, manual features are very limited or grayed-out. Meaning that, either BB just uses proprietary controls, or does not allow access to Camera2 API to 3rd parties. Because the camera is pretty important to me, I will keep digging for more information. I appreciate all feedback. Thank you.
    12-29-16 10:49 PM
    Mistery solved (not cool)

Trying multiple top-rated manual camera apps, I got a very inconsistent experience of Manual Mode. Eventually, I found one that was providing detailed camera information, stating "Camera2 API: Legacy Mode".

It looks like many manufacturers are fully enabling the Camera2 API only on their flagship devices. (For obvious comercial reasons, I would guess: otherwise, with all features available for all, a flagship device could only stand out by its hardware- camera optics and sensor, and not extended functionality). I also found on developer forums complains that Legacy Mode is not only limited, but its libraries are buggy, leading to application crashes and a bad user experience. There are some articles on the web on how to fully enable Camera2 API on a rooted device.

Another app, Snap Camera HDR (by Marginz Software) has in the "other" settings the option "Use Camera2 API". Selecting it, I got the warning "Camera2 API is in Legacy Mode: This is not recommended". Continuing, manual settings become unavailable.
    12-30-16 08:51 PM
    I took about 150 pictures over the weekend, using the DTEK50 Camera (v.4.3) in Auto mode, and the same pictures with 3 top-rated manual cameras. It appears to me that the BB Camera v4.3 produced the best results in low light (no flash), even though for the other camera apps I used minimal compression (JPEG100- didn't improve the result). I don't know if this happens because the other camera apps do not have access to the Camera2 API, while the BB Camera v.4.3 does. I am going to attach the low-light pictures below.
    01-02-17 11:10 PM
    TKED 50, BB Camera v.4.3 (2.4MB)
    Attached Thumbnails camera2 API-img_20170101_1356482.jpg  
    Attached Files
    01-02-17 11:18 PM
    TDEK50, top-rated camera app, Auto, JPEG100 (5MB)
    Attached Thumbnails camera2 API-img_20170101_135940.jpg  
    Attached Files
    01-02-17 11:28 PM
    Mistery solved (not cool)

Trying multiple top-rated manual camera apps, I got a very inconsistent experience of Manual Mode. Eventually, I found one that was providing detailed camera information, stating "Camera2 API: Legacy Mode".

It looks like many manufacturers are fully enabling the Camera2 API only on their flagship devices. (For obvious comercial reasons, I would guess: otherwise, with all features available for all, a flagship device could only stand out by its hardware- camera optics and sensor, and not extended functionality). I also found on developer forums complains that Legacy Mode is not only limited, but its libraries are buggy, leading to application crashes and a bad user experience. There are some articles on the web on how to fully enable Camera2 API on a rooted device.

Another app, Snap Camera HDR (by Marginz Software) has in the "other" settings the option "Use Camera2 API". Selecting it, I got the warning "Camera2 API is in Legacy Mode: This is not recommended". Continuing, manual settings become unavailable.
    Which app is it that says if the API is in legacy mode? I could check on the DTEK60.
    01-02-17 11:29 PM
    iPhone 6s Plus, Auto (2MB)
    Attached Thumbnails camera2 API-img_0308.jpg  
    Attached Files
    01-02-17 11:31 PM
    You can get Camera2 API status in a few ways, explicit or not. You can try "Manual Camera Compatibility" app- if it fails, Camera2 API is not available. One of the apps I tested on my DTEK50 was Snap Camera HDR (by Marginz Software). You can find in the "other" settings the option "Use Camera2 API". Selecting it on my phone, I get the warning "Camera2 API is in Legacy Mode: This is not recommended". If you already have installed some top-rated manual camera app, search for this information in the "About" or "Info" section of the settings- there is a chance to be listed there.
    01-02-17 11:53 PM
    Snap Camera HDR gives me a legacy mode warning on a DTEK60 with latest OS and app updates. Weird.
    01-02-17 11:56 PM
    They are most probably right. If you try other apps, they will tell you the same. Try the "Manual Camera Compatibility" or the "Filmic Evaluator", they are free.
    01-03-17 12:03 AM
    01-03-17 12:18 AM
    I reported it as a bug, FWIW.
    01-03-17 06:56 PM
    You mean you reported it to BlackBerry? for both DTEK50 and DTEK60?
    01-03-17 08:20 PM
    You mean you reported it to BlackBerry? for both DTEK50 and DTEK60?
    Only the DTEK60, since I don't have a DTEK50 (let alone one enrolled in the beta program).
    01-03-17 08:21 PM
    How can I do the same for the DTEK50?
    01-03-17 08:30 PM