So my contract is almost up on AT&T. I have the Blackberry Passport on a Next plan with one more payment left. I'm eligible for an upgrade. I can either get the Galaxy Note 7 for $29.34/mo or the DTEK50 for $300 outright? Which would you choose? And most importantly WHY?
    08-30-16 05:00 PM
    Question is, do you want to renew your contract? or do you want to pay outright for a device?
    08-30-16 05:03 PM
    I'll probably stay with AT&T, so a contract renewal is not a huge deal. I really wondering which phone is better. Is the Note 7 worth over $700 over time?
    Last edited by daqie; 08-30-16 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo
    08-30-16 05:07 PM
    You're comparing an elite flagship with a mid-range workhorse.

You'll have to decide between extra performance and extra security.
    08-30-16 05:18 PM

Agree with this comment! Difficult comparison...
    auditman likes this.
    08-30-16 06:41 PM
    So my contract is almost up on AT&T. I have the Blackberry Passport on a Next plan with one more payment left. I'm eligible for an upgrade. I can either get the Galaxy Note 7 for $29.34/mo or the DTEK50 for $300 outright? Which would you choose? And most importantly WHY?
    I personally don't like phones with big screens because of their size. If size wouldn't matter, then I would get Note 7, of course if money isn't an issue. At the moment I own Galaxy S7 and Nexus 5x, but still I do like the size of S7 since it is smaller. Most of the mid-range phones perform nicely and are able to play most games, run most if not all apps and so on. So when I buy a phone, I am looking at size(hand feel), material that was used and the price.
    08-30-16 06:42 PM
    Get off the contract. AT&T is in a flux and changing plans AGAIN this year.
    You can buy the Samsung outright for less than what you'll pay AT&T over time. They are nicer to you when they HAVE TO BE. LMBO.
    08-31-16 10:07 AM

What extra security is there really for a consumer who a) encrypts their phone, leave the security switched on and downloads only mainstream apps from the store?
    Uzi and chain13 like this.
    08-31-16 10:21 AM
    What extra security is there really for a consumer who a) encrypts their phone, leave the security switched on and downloads only mainstream apps from the store?
    Fast updates is one. The DTEK app is another (I find it useful).

But I understand your point. At the end of the day, it may not mean a whole lot to the general consumer, beyond perhaps making them FEEL better knowing there is extra security sauce built into the device.

Emotions can play a role in decision making. Similarly, getting a super-duper high spec phone is more an emotional win than a practical one.
    CerveloJohn, auditman and andy957 like this.
    08-31-16 10:40 AM
    The phones both run android 6. Ones more expensive and waterproof. Coming from the s7 edge to dtek50. The only differences I notice is battery life and weight of phones

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    auditman likes this.
    08-31-16 12:05 PM
    Get off the contract. AT&T is in a flux and changing plans AGAIN this year.
    You can buy the Samsung outright for less than what you'll pay AT&T over time. They are nicer to you when they HAVE TO BE. LMBO.
    I'd love to know where the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 can be purchased for less than $700.
    08-31-16 02:23 PM
    So Samsung is stopping production of the device because it's having issues. Seems it's either blowing up when it charges or the screen is brittle or both. Wonder what that will do for the line ups for the device and all of you that think it is the next big thing.

Time to get a secure phone - a DTEK50 or a Priv.

08-31-16 02:31 PM
    Why even compare. You either like one or the other. Ones large others small

auditman likes this.
    08-31-16 07:33 PM
    Why even compare. You either like one or the other. Ones large others small

One cost double of the other.
    09-01-16 02:42 AM
    Its a huge price difference. I will definitely go for DTEK
    09-01-16 05:07 AM
    The 2 can't be compared. Note 7 is a horse and the DTEK50 is a puppy. For those on a budget the DTEK50 is the way to go.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 08:27 AM
    You can't ask that type of question but you didn't tell us what type of user you are ? Power user ? Note 7. Download blackberry apps on it like keyboard and you sorted.

Email and IM kind of guy only? Blackberry hands down. Sorry but the hub and the interface is 2nd to non . I use my Priv to thrash out 40 emails a day and whatsapp and BBM with the wife. That's all! So it's perfect due to the pkb.

Whats your flavour? Spend money on things you need, not on things you want to need. If you catch my drift.

daqie likes this.
    09-01-16 08:31 AM
    Not really about a budget. In the end they both run android, snap pics and allows you the go on the net. I left my s7 edge and got a dtek50. All the same crap in the end.

09-01-16 08:52 AM
    You can't ask that type of question but you didn't tell us what type of user you are ? Power user ? Note 7. Download blackberry apps on it like keyboard and you sorted.

Email and IM kind of guy only? Blackberry hands down. Sorry but the hub and the interface is 2nd to non . I use my Priv to thrash out 40 emails a day and whatsapp and BBM with the wife. That's all! So it's perfect due to the pkb.

Whats your flavour? Spend money on things you need, not on things you want to need. If you catch my drift.

That's helpful. I'm more of a power user. I go through at least 50 email/day over 4 accounts. I use WhatApp (but aren't they discontinuing BB support?). I almost rarely use BBM. I love the Hub (and know it's available on Google Play).
    09-01-16 10:45 AM
    Size - I would be very interested to know whether the dimensions are much different between the two phones. I strongly suspect the difference will be negligible.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-16 02:17 PM
    Would your service plan be priced differently if you bought the device outright?

 Passport filter-evading the NSA  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    09-01-16 02:37 PM
    Galaxy Note 7 has USB-C seems to work great to fire up your house. Samsung says cable is fragile but it's the battery that heat up and explode.

Blackberry DTEK50 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 7? Which One?-2001217283.jpeg

In the Netherlands and Germanny the pre-order for 6 sptember will be now delivered 5 -6 weeks later, because production has stopped and there will be a return action for the Note 7 next week which allready been deliverd
    09-01-16 03:20 PM
    Samsung is recalling all the Note 7 phones because that are heating up and exploding. I'd stay away if you value a phone that won't explode.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...OMSbZFaxnDTJtw
    09-03-16 10:39 AM
    Samsung is recalling all the Note 7 phones because that are heating up and exploding. I'd stay away if you value a phone that won't explode.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...OMSbZFaxnDTJtw
    Hope that answers your questions. Do you want something that catches fire... or somehow that doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-16 10:54 AM
    I think I will pass on any and all future samsung products if this kind of defect passes testing and inspections. Their QC system imho must be a joke for this to happen.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-16 11:03 AM
48 12