Did PRIV survive through a level of test like defcon which blackphone had failed? If not then still no prove to me
    08-04-16 12:41 PM
    Many will agree with you. But since BB will have their name stamped on it, it will sell. But not too well.....
    Which is why it was a smart move to not have the name Blackberry on the DTEK50 ....
    08-04-16 01:16 PM
    Dear all,
    as I said in title, please compare BB DTEK 50 with Alcatel Idol 4, where's the difference ?
    Step further, why to buy BB then ? Because of its name ?
    BB offers more security ? LOL
    As a salesmen for years, I know that if you have some new product to sell/offer you have to outstand from competition. With DTEK as a feature BB is trying to do that, will they have any success ? Doubt that !!
    This is not real BB, where's the physical keyboard. PKB is the only thing that makes BB different.
    If you take the Android OS from DTEK50 and put it into the Idol 4, chances are it won't work and it might not even load. Maybe the looks are similar, internally (meaning out of sight), DTEK50 supports only 1 SIM card among other things ....
    08-04-16 01:22 PM

Second they say it's unrootable so it's safer - sounds just like the black phone has promised - and it still got hacked. So unless there's an objective prove otherwise I'm not buying the story.
    I don't believe that BlackBerry's ever claimed their current Android OS is unrootable. Indeed, John Chen has repeatedly said that BlackBerry cannot secure the core and there remains a security gap comparing with BB10. He is hoping to be able to close the gap with Android N. All they can do today is to check the OS components to ensure their integrity each time the OS is loaded. Based on this, I guess it is possible to root BlackBerry Android OS but the rooted OS would fail to load when the phone is rebooted.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 01:29 PM
    The idol 4 does come with 3gb of ram. Plus all the "security " dtek" brings are already available in marshmallow they jus made a nice interface for it.

And I hear the idol gonna start @$200 given wen can side load almost all bb apps without even rooting I don't think it'll sell that well.
    Will the Idol 4 have upgrades to the Nougat later on, if not then the future upgraded BB's apps might not run well on them compared to Priv/DTEK50 upgraded to Nougat. Some Android phones don't even get OS upgrades at all ....
    08-04-16 01:32 PM
    The idol 4 is 0.2 Ghz faster! Woow!!!
    WOW!!! .... you probably get extra words type in as well ....
    08-04-16 01:39 PM
    I agree with the name. It is quite stupid. Sounds more like an internal development codename. I don't get some of the logic. And they keep positioning it as it is the very first Android phone they released.. like the Priv was never done.... funny
    I think BB is trying to start afresh on Android with DTEK50. The name is not that stupid IMO. It sounds like DETECT to me and that is what the OS on DTEK50 does, let's you know for example that someone us playing with your phone camera without you knowing. I wonder if Idol 4 users get a chance to know about this at all.
    08-04-16 01:47 PM
    This is not BlackBerry and there is no way I will buy it. No keyboard and looks like alcatel very bad move from BlackBerry company
    Android phones are just like cars, there are many brands using the same OS. Now would an extra wheel on the car make it any better and I am not referring to the one the driver puts his hands on.
    08-04-16 01:54 PM
    DTECK security application is unique to BlackBerry devices with Android: PRIV and DTECK50.

On PRIV BlackBerry and BlackBerry DTECK50, ALL BlackBerry applications are complete, free and without advertising.

To Have some of these applications on any Android device 6 or higher, a subscription of $ 0.99 / month is necessary. Or settle for having a reduced set of these applications, advertising is necessary.
    I like to think that non-BB Android users having tasted these BB apps will get sucked in. That their next Android phone will be from Blackberry.
    08-04-16 02:00 PM
    Even though DTEK50 offers good security, i can't justify paying $299 + tax when you can get Nexus 6p 32gb for similar price.
    08-04-16 03:43 PM
    Even though DTEK50 offers good security, i can't justify paying $299 + tax when you can get Nexus 6p 32gb for similar price.
    Really, factory unlocked no term agreement? How much? And can you expand memory on 6P ? Umm nope so the 32 GB is in all actuality a crappy deal!

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 08-04-16 at 05:52 PM.
    08-04-16 04:28 PM
    A good reason to buy DTEK50 is to support Blackberry in one way or another, this cellphone is not oriented to businessmen, it is more for ordinary people.
    kitmo likes this.
    08-04-16 04:47 PM
    A good reason to buy DTEK50 is to support Blackberry in one way or another, this cellphone is not oriented to businessmen, it is more for ordinary people.
    Odd statement. Considering that security and productivity actually attracts more educated people.
    Name something (besides fingerprint scanning) any phone can do that DTEK50 can not?

Last edited by Pinot2015; 08-04-16 at 07:58 PM.
    08-04-16 05:50 PM
    This just shows if it is on or off. That's all any other Android can do.
    _________
    Key Features of DTEK app on BlackBerry

� Monitor � Know at a glance the overall security rating for your device, as well as for specific security features. You can identify whether or not you need to take any action to improve the security of your device.
    � Control � Easily change your security settings to improve the security rating for your device and specific security features.
    � Track � Turn on event logging to track what your apps are doing. Advanced tools help you track what info your apps have accessed, how it�s being used and the duration of use. This includes which apps are accessing your camera, microphone, location and personal information.
    � Alert � Be notified of specific application activities when you set up notifications.
    DTEK app actually monitors the activities and alerts you when certain apps access information or location of your phone. So then you know to shut it down or keep it open.

Non technical people will never know otherwise about permissions on other Androids so DTEK makes it way easier for all and more secure by monitoring.
    Let's face it, most on this forum understand the ins' and outs of any phone. Most non technical inclined people have no clue how to even change a ring tone

Nope. Every marshmallow phone can turn on or off different permissions. Like I said dtek gives it a nice ui.

Posted via CB10
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    08-04-16 07:36 PM
    Nope. Every marshmallow phone can turn on or off different permissions. Like I said dtek gives it a nice ui.

Posted via CB10
    Plus all this which is beyond on/off

Key Features:
    � Monitor � Know at a glance the overall security rating for your device, as well as for specific security features. You can identify whether or not you need to take any action to improve the security of your device.
    � Control � Easily change your security settings to improve the security rating for your device and specific security features.
    � Track � Turn on event logging to track what your apps are doing. Advanced tools help you track what info your apps have accessed, how it�s being used and the duration of use. This includes which apps are accessing your camera, microphone, location and personal information.
    � Alert � Be notified of specific application activities when you set up notifications.

08-04-16 07:59 PM
    DTEK will count, broken down by app, how many times each permission on your phone was accessed, I think this is valuable information:

BLACKBERRY DTEK50 is ALCATEL IDOL 4, why to buy BB ??-379940d1447190331t-dtek-megathread-screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-33.png

BLACKBERRY DTEK50 is ALCATEL IDOL 4, why to buy BB ??-dtek-snapchat.jpg

It can also give you alerts when an app access certain permissions that you are concerned about. This is how you can customize the alerts:

BLACKBERRY DTEK50 is ALCATEL IDOL 4, why to buy BB ??-dtek.png
    08-04-16 09:00 PM
    will some1 kindly tell me as 2 which 1 to buy -
    dtek 50 / blackphone 2.
    or shud i wait for argon mercury with d Android N?
    08-05-16 07:56 AM
    will some1 kindly tell me as 2 which 1 to buy -
    dtek 50 / blackphone 2.
    or shud i wait for argon mercury with d Android N?
    DTEK50! To get the BlackBerry apps like the great keyboard. It will be upgraded to N when available. Argon is an unknown at this time of if or when it will be released.
    Also , monthly security patches from BlackBerry have been promised.

auditman likes this.
    08-05-16 09:13 AM
    Will the Idol 4 have upgrades to the Nougat later on, if not then the future upgraded BB's apps might not run well on them compared to Priv/DTEK50 upgraded to Nougat. Some Android phones don't even get OS upgrades at all ....
    As far as I know there's no guarantee that priv or dket50 will get android n. That's a chance u take on any android phone that's not nexus.
    Only monthly patches are promised.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-16 01:08 PM
    As far as I know there's no guarantee that priv or dket50 will get android n. That's a chance u take on any android phone that's not nexus.
    Only monthly patches are promised.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is already testing N with employees. So there is your answer but no guarantees

blackmass likes this.
    08-05-16 02:03 PM
    It's just another android with a BlackBerry sticker on it

Posted via PRIV
    08-05-16 07:26 PM

Posted via PRIV
    You mean besides the Hub, Launcher, Productivity tab, Blackberry VKB, DTEK app, on time security updates, locked bootloader and hardened kernel? Not all Blackberry users want a physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    sidtek50 likes this.
    08-05-16 08:19 PM
    Pretty sad but this is the reality.
    08-05-16 08:36 PM

Posted via PRIV
    Have you actually read whats on dtek5o or your just pulling comments out of your a$$?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    kitmo likes this.
    08-05-16 08:36 PM

Posted via PRIV
    What SolarBear28 wrote

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-05-16 08:38 PM
118 ... 2345