Spot on. The BB commitment to release security patches "on the same day that Google publicly releases information about them" is by itself a great reason to choose the DTEK 50 over the Alcatel. Throw in the rest of the security enhancements and BB software suite and there's really no comparison.
    SolarBear28 and CerveloJohn like this.
    07-28-16 10:52 PM
    Well, I guess this is Chen demonstrating that BlackBerry is a software company. Snatch a phone from the market, in some apps and software, then sell it for a hundred bucks more. So basically one would be buying an Alcatel hardware and BlackBerry software at the same time, all in one package.

BTW, some die-hard BlackBerry fans whom I know have called it the Kotex. Such a nice and handy pad.

Posted from my Passport
    No, collaboration with another company this is the way to make it affordable and cost effective for blackberry.
    I can bet blackberry would not be able to offer the same price point if it designed and produce the phone on its own.
    ice777 likes this.
    07-29-16 12:11 AM
    Another stupid topic. Please remove them....

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 12:47 AM
    There's no stupid question.
    Only the answer matters.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-29-16 01:39 AM
    It's an iterative tuning process that typically takes around 4 months. First you tune to a reference starting point for a few weeks, and then we run iterations which involve making fine tuning adjustments, followed by as wide of an alpha-test audience (a bunch of people go off and take hundreds of photos), then we aggregate all of the results, evaluate, and make further adjustments. It's challenging, because there are thousands of knobs to tweak, and adjusting one may throw off the performance of many others.

If we reuse camera sensors or flashes, etc. between devices, we can accelerate this, but with chipset changes, the internal image processing pipes often change in nontrivial ways, and we have to more or less start over.

This isn't necessarily in our camera app (a few things are), but down in the drivers and other OS components.
    Thanks for taking the time of explaining this on detail.
    It is awesome having you guys on the forum interacting with the users.

I think it is mutually beneficial, it is a great way for us to provide feedbacks and also for understanding how much effort and hard work there is behind the release of new hardware / software.

Again.. Thanks!!

Superfly_FR and smcv like this.
    07-29-16 06:56 AM
    i so so want bb 2 come up wid something like bb11 os with Android apps support.
    i dunt like android, and i was eyeing the passport & fb n WhatsApp announced the end of support in dec 2016
    or bb can use sailfish like d Turing phone, i just wish
    07-30-16 08:02 AM
    I'd have to see real world examples of the benefits of security but many brands need some differentiation; while many products are well made in China I wouldn't buy a chinese phone brand, they just don't inspire confidence. And the dtek50's price is affordable, although a Nexus might still make more sense.
    07-30-16 11:19 AM
    any plans for a new device with bb10 or sailfish ?
    any workaround for running WhatsApp on bb10 in 2017 ?
    i so want passport / Porsches design but all frbds on whatsapp
    dunt use fb only whatsapp
    i c no point in dtek 50, rather go for moto z / turing.
    thanx for any suggestions
    08-01-16 05:26 AM
    anyone know what brand cell antennae this uses ? I always felt BB had best call quality and reception so if they went with a different source for this model to save money that would be something to take into account. No reviews actually mention this that I have seen. I would buy a BB OS version of this phone in a heartbeat. Apps are not important to me but security is.
    08-02-16 02:35 PM
    Let's be honest. That other company has its phones at 700 usd for mid range specs yet no one complains. BlackBerry will do well with the Dtek 50 and once are on their feet can focus on a personalised os or rather modified android system..

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 02:38 PM
    Dear all,
    as I said in title, please compare BB DTEK 50 with Alcatel Idol 4, where's the difference ?
    Step further, why to buy BB then ? Because of its name ?
    BB offers more security ? LOL
    As a salesmen for years, I know that if you have some new product to sell/offer you have to outstand from competition. With DTEK as a feature BB is trying to do that, will they have any success ? Doubt that !!
    This is not real BB, where's the physical keyboard. PKB is the only thing that makes BB different.
    Fast Updates! Security Apps. Might not be important to you. To me and others they are.
    08-02-16 05:32 PM
    The idol 4 does come with 3gb of ram. Plus all the "security " dtek" brings are already available in marshmallow they jus made a nice interface for it.

And I hear the idol gonna start @$200 given wen can side load almost all bb apps without even rooting I don't think it'll sell that well.

Posted via CB10
    Really we can side load all bb apps? I wanna see you side load DTEK.
    08-02-16 05:34 PM
    Really we can side load all bb apps? I wanna see you side load DTEK.
    Comn all dtek does is give a fancy ui to a feature u can do in marshmallow on any android... add or restrict access to different services.

Posted via CB10
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    08-02-16 07:00 PM
    Comn all dtek does is give a fancy ui to a feature u can do in marshmallow on any android... add or restrict access to different services.

Posted via CB10
    DTEK is built deep into the OS so that it can tell you when other apps access your location, camera, microphone etc. That functionality is not present in stock Marshmallow. It gives the user more information so they can make informed decisions about how adjust permissions.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 10:49 PM
    This is not BlackBerry and there is no way I will buy it. No keyboard and looks like alcatel very bad move from BlackBerry company

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 05:40 AM
    This is not BlackBerry and there is no way I will buy it. No keyboard and looks like alcatel very bad move from BlackBerry company

Posted via CB10
    "Real BlackBerry" is slowly dieing, it's irrelevant in the smartphone segment. 95% of the population buy Android and iOS, I don't think BlackBerry has even a 1% market share. If you want a good OS with little to no application support stay with BB10, if you want the best of BlackBerry on a relevant OS go with the Priv or Dtek50

08-03-16 06:25 AM
    DTEK is built deep into the OS so that it can tell you when other apps access your location, camera, microphone etc. That functionality is not present in stock Marshmallow. It gives the user more information so they can make informed decisions about how adjust permissions.

Posted via CB10

BLACKBERRY DTEK50 is ALCATEL IDOL 4, why to buy BB ??-img_20160803_065448_edit.png
    Like I said functionality already in Android just packaged in a neat ui.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 06:57 AM
    Unfortunately, many apps refuse to work, or get buggy, when you refuse them permissions they "demand".
    08-03-16 01:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough.

One thing the DTEK app can do (that I don't think is present in stock Android) is count the number of times that different permissions are accessed by different apps. I think this is key in identifying intrusive apps on Android.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 05:27 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160803_065448_edit.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	405422

Posted via CB10
    This just shows if it is on or off. That's all any other Android can do.
    _________
    Key Features of DTEK app on BlackBerry

� Monitor � Know at a glance the overall security rating for your device, as well as for specific security features. You can identify whether or not you need to take any action to improve the security of your device.
    � Control � Easily change your security settings to improve the security rating for your device and specific security features.
    � Track � Turn on event logging to track what your apps are doing. Advanced tools help you track what info your apps have accessed, how it�s being used and the duration of use. This includes which apps are accessing your camera, microphone, location and personal information.
    � Alert � Be notified of specific application activities when you set up notifications.
    DTEK app actually monitors the activities and alerts you when certain apps access information or location of your phone. So then you know to shut it down or keep it open.

Non technical people will never know otherwise about permissions on other Androids so DTEK makes it way easier for all and more secure by monitoring.
    Let's face it, most on this forum understand the ins' and outs of any phone. Most non technical inclined people have no clue how to even change a ring tone

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    sethr likes this.
    08-04-16 11:05 AM
    Jeje... no BlackBerry stamped name in this device...

But, then, why buy Alcatel?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 11:25 AM
    No stamped name on front of iPhone

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    08-04-16 11:49 AM
    DTECK security application is unique to BlackBerry devices with Android: PRIV and DTECK50.

On PRIV BlackBerry and BlackBerry DTECK50, ALL BlackBerry applications are complete, free and without advertising.

To Have some of these applications on any Android device 6 or higher, a subscription of $ 0.99 / month is necessary. Or settle for having a reduced set of these applications, advertising is necessary.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 11:50 AM
    I really struggle to understand what DTEK capable exactly other than a real time indicator. All the articles I've read seems just PR to me.

First they claim the OS was mod to the SoC level of safety yet they are not using a special version of chip so that part can be provided by anybody if they want to.

Second they say it's unrootable so it's safer - sounds just like the black phone has promised - and it still got hacked. So unless there's an objective prove otherwise I'm not buying the story.

Third is the blackberry encryption - is it really safer than the build in encryption in android M? Blackberry have to prove it.

Last the DTEK safety indicator, does it provide real time safety switch to flick app access on/off or just a notifier and you still have to go setting and get the job done like security guard in CM from?

Those DTEK PR thing are not helping any of my wonderings but I just keep seeing people saying this is good because it's from blackberry.....meh
    08-04-16 12:26 PM
    Second they say it's unrootable so it's safer - sounds just like the black phone has promised - and it still got hacked. So unless there's an objective prove otherwise I'm not buying the story.
    There was this old advisory: BSRT-2016-002 Vulnerability in Android/Linux kernel impacts BlackBerry PRIV smartphones

An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in the shared Android/Linux kernel used in affected versions of BlackBerry PRIV smartphones. The kernel constitutes the central core of the smartphone’s operating system.

Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could result in an attacker gaining elevated privileges on the smartphone.

Further, BlackBerry PRIV smartphones use a unique security system to prevent persistent compromise. Attempts to use this vulnerability to gain persistent elevated privileges on a BlackBerry PRIV are likely to fail with an error. Any compromise would not persist after a reboot.
    08-04-16 12:30 PM
118 12345