Chen destroyed this company. I can't even listen to him speaking, he is a terrible speaker. During his rule of BB he never talked about positive sides, he always focused on the BB being near failure. That's a terrible thing to hear, being a customer or an invester. How did he become a CEO??
    Now this move with absurdly called DTEK50 proves this guy is completely crazy. Maybe Alcatel should buy them and finish this torture?

Posted via CB10
    I agree with the name. It is quite stupid. Sounds more like an internal development codename. I don't get some of the logic. And they keep positioning it as it is the very first Android phone they released.. like the Priv was never done.... funny

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 04:59 AM
    it's just rebranded with some upgrade like memory slot, simcard slot support now nano and ,some extra ram better modification and of course they also did some protection layer on the chipset
    The spec is identical to the idol 4, there are no upgrades - as for the chipset production, that doesn't represent any modification either, it's just software keys using native features of the chipset. As far as I can tell, most OEMs don't bother simply consumers perceive no value so it's a cost with no upside.

It means if someone steals your phone it will be much more difficult for them to access your personal info. It means when the next Android malware scare comes, your device might not be vulnerable.
    Who really is in 2016 with a modern phone? When you dig into these malware stories they tend to be in a) china or b) situations where people turn off protection to sideload apps.

In an age where every app and every ad agency wants access to consumers data, I'm glad Blackberry has created software with privacy and security in mind.
    You have an android phone - there is no privacy, if there was, King Google would not allow them to ship it. You might be able to dig into the settings and swap out apps to limit the information that it collects but out of the box this provides as much information to King Google as any other android device.
    Mecca EL, JeepBB and johnsliderbb like this.
    07-28-16 05:20 AM
    Dear all,
    as I said in title, please compare BB DTEK 50 with Alcatel Idol 4, where's the difference ?
    Step further, why to buy BB then ? Because of its name ?
    BB offers more security ? LOL
    As a salesmen for years, I know that if you have some new product to sell/offer you have to outstand from competition. With DTEK as a feature BB is trying to do that, will they have any success ? Doubt that !!
    This is not real BB, where's the physical keyboard. PKB is the only thing that makes BB different.
    Than go and buy iPhone or whatever else you want.
    sethr likes this.
    07-28-16 05:34 AM
    Huh? Both my Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p gets monthly security updates not to mention major O/S updates as soon as they're available while the Priv and Dtek50 will have to wait months or longer. I'm not disagreeing with you on the value added software and security hardware but come on, let's not try and make things up.
    BlackBerry Android devices get monthly security patches on time,

Beating Expectations: Android Security Patching for PRIV | Inside BlackBerry
    07-28-16 10:22 AM
    The spec is identical to the idol 4, there are no upgrades - as for the chipset production, that doesn't represent any modification either, it's just software keys using native features of the chipset. As far as I can tell, most OEMs don't bother simply consumers perceive no value so it's a cost with no upside.
    According to spec sheets, the DTEK50 can accept higher capacity memory cards (2 TB vs 512 GB), I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware change.

Alcatel Idol 4 specs

DTEK50 Specs ? Specifications for Android BlackBerry Smartphone - Canada
    07-28-16 10:31 AM
    If you open up the back... it will probably say Alcatel

Posted via CB10
    TCL.
    07-28-16 10:32 AM
    The idol 4 is 0.2 Ghz faster! Woow!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 10:43 AM
    The idol 4 is 0.2 Ghz faster! Woow!!!

Posted via CB10
    It isn't.

http://www.alcatelonetouch.us/idol-4...phone-cricket/
    sethr likes this.
    07-28-16 10:47 AM
    Well, I guess this is Chen demonstrating that BlackBerry is a software company. Snatch a phone from the market, in some apps and software, then sell it for a hundred bucks more. So basically one would be buying an Alcatel hardware and BlackBerry software at the same time, all in one package.

BTW, some die-hard BlackBerry fans whom I know have called it the Kotex. Such a nice and handy pad.

Posted from my Passport
    07-28-16 10:51 AM
    I was wondering, is there any specific optimization that you need to perform manually for every new device that comes out or the app code is "universal" and can be moved between devices quite easily?
    It's an iterative tuning process that typically takes around 4 months. First you tune to a reference starting point for a few weeks, and then we run iterations which involve making fine tuning adjustments, followed by as wide of an alpha-test audience (a bunch of people go off and take hundreds of photos), then we aggregate all of the results, evaluate, and make further adjustments. It's challenging, because there are thousands of knobs to tweak, and adjusting one may throw off the performance of many others.

If we reuse camera sensors or flashes, etc. between devices, we can accelerate this, but with chipset changes, the internal image processing pipes often change in nontrivial ways, and we have to more or less start over.

This isn't necessarily in our camera app (a few things are), but down in the drivers and other OS components.
    baarn, gizmo21, DavideaNY and 2 others like this.
    07-28-16 10:57 AM
    07-28-16 11:02 AM
    I rather trust Qualcomm.

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...processors/617

It maxes out at 1.5GHz.
    07-28-16 11:24 AM
    it looks like alcatel makes 3 idol4's w/ different specs.

idol4 + 4s w/ 3GB ram ea, w/ 4S having more storage
    Alcatel mobile | Global - IDOL 4/4s - Smartphones

and an idol4 for cricket w/ 2GB ram.
    Alcatel | IDOL 4 VR Smartphone for Cricket | Buy Now
    07-28-16 11:41 AM
    Huh? Both my Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p gets monthly security updates not to mention major O/S updates as soon as they're available while the Priv and Dtek50 will have to wait months or longer. I'm not disagreeing with you on the value added software and security hardware but come on, let's not try and make things up.
    I corrected prior statement to include Nexus but.....
    Are you saying PRIV and now DTEK50 won't get security updates the day that Google releases them? "Zero day as in news release two days ago?. Nexus may be the only exception to this for patches. We are talking about security here not a major OS update. Last I checked PRIV is on MM as well as DTEK50. Same as Nexus.
    PRIV and DTEK50 are way more secure than Nexus 6P and will be as long as you are able to root the Nexus device. None of this is made up.

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    07-28-16 11:45 AM
    According to spec sheets, the DTEK50 can accept higher capacity memory cards (2 TB vs 512 GB), I'm not sure if this is a software or hardware change.
    Pure software or to be more precise licensing. The hardware nowadays is all capable to support up to 2 TB you just need to license filesystem **** from Microsoft to be able to tell others that you can use 2 TB.

I have a Jolla C device officially saying only supporting 32 GB. The reason they just did not want to pay Microsoft license fees for exfat. I put in a 128 GB micro-SD card with ext4 formatted and it works flawlessly.
    Last edited by Leszek Lesner; 07-28-16 at 12:23 PM.
    JeepBB and krazyatom like this.
    07-28-16 11:59 AM
    I corrected prior statement to include Nexus but.....
    Are you saying PRIV and now DTEK50 won't get security updates the day that Google releases them? "Zero day as in news release two days ago?. Nexus may be the only exception to this for patches. We are talking about security here not a major OS update. Last I checked PRIV is on MM as well as DTEK50. Same as Nexus.
    PRIV and DTEK50 are way more secure than Nexus 6P and will be as long as you are able to root the Nexus device. None of this is made up.

How long after Marshmallow was released, did the PRIV get it?

BlackBerry has been very impressive with the monthly security updates. The major updates are another matter, they were months behind the NEXUS phones and even other OEMs with their release of Marshmallow, expect that Nougat probably won't be much different.

But the thing is how long do you belive that BlackBerry will update these phones, if/when they close the hardware divisions. A year for security updates probably and a major update will probably just not happen unless they are already close to releasing it.

If you are buying this phone based just on the update cycle... you had better be very confident that they are going to stay in the hardware business. John Chen isn't all that certain of it... he let investor know he won't keep losing money on hardware. And without a guarantee of at least three years of updates from the time you buy a phone... just how secure do you think even a BlackBerry will be.

Sorry but I don't think unless you can assure users that updates will last, no matter what BlackBerry does... that the update cycle is really a selling feature for someone looking to use this phone for the average 3 years.
    Mecca EL and JeepBB like this.
    07-28-16 12:03 PM
    How long after Marshmallow was released, did the PRIV get it?

BlackBerry has been very impressive with the monthly security updates. The major updates are another matter, they were months behind the NEXUS phones and even other OEMs with their release of Marshmallow, expect that Nougat probably won't be much different.

But the thing is how long do you belive that BlackBerry will update these phones, if/when they close the hardware divisions. A year for security updates probably and a major update will probably just not happen unless they are already close to releasing it.

If you are buying this phone based just on the update cycle... you had better be very confident that they are going to stay in the hardware business. John Chen isn't all that certain of it... he let investor know he won't keep losing money on hardware. And without a guarantee of at least three years of updates from the time you buy a phone... just how secure do you think even a BlackBerry will be.

Sorry but I don't think unless you can assure users that updates will last, no matter what BlackBerry does... that the update cycle is really a selling feature for someone looking to use this phone for the average 3 years.
    Can you assure Nexus will continue to update 3 years from now?
    Why are you trying to turn this into a OS update discussion? My whole post was about security! Most here won't hang on to their phones for 3 years. Maybe you will but regardless of that BlackBerry will continue devices for Businesses and Government and consumers that want them. PRIV and DTEK50 are on 6.01.
    I guess the test will be when Nexus gets N update compared to PRIV / DTEK50.

Regardless, let's get back to security which is what BlackBerry is all about and as a security software rep I appreciate that.
    You also need to separate software and hardware. Updates are software so even if BlackBerry exited hardware completely they will still need to patch and update software and do security patches for their Business and Government and consumer customers.

I get you love your Nexus which is awesome but we are on a BlackBerry forum talking about security which is what DTEK50 is all about.

CerveloJohn likes this.
    07-28-16 12:19 PM
    https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en

How long your Nexus will get updates

After a certain period, Google can no longer guarantee that a device will get version updates or security patches.

Nexus devices receive:

Android version updates
    For at least two years from when the device became available on the Google Store.

Security patches
    For the longer of 3 years from availability or 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device.
    07-28-16 12:22 PM
    Why are you trying to turn this into a OS update discussion? My whole post was about security! Most here won't hang on to their phones for 3 years. Maybe you will but regardless of that BlackBerry will continue devices for Businesses and Government and consumers that want them. PRIV and DTEK50 are on 6.01.

Regardless, let's get back to security which is what BlackBerry is all about and as a security software rep I appreciate that.
    You also need to separate software and hardware. Updates are software so even if BlackBerry exited hardware completely they will still need to patch and update software and do security patches for their Business and Government and consumer customers.

I get you love your Nexus which is awesome but we are on a BlackBerry forum talking about security which is what DTEK50 is all about.

And you think a major O/S update does not improve security? - seems to me M's security is much better than L's and N will probably be better than M but the Priv and Dtek50 will probably not see N until 2017 if at all where as the Nexus will probably get it in Oct 2016 or even right now for those that want to try the beta. Maybe you need to get your facts straight prior to posting - We get you love your Priv but please do not keep trying to mislead people
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-28-16 01:30 PM
    You can of course expect a Google device to be updated first. Every other Android device can not expect this, except for the Priv and now DTEK50. No other OEM does 0-day patching, he didn't make it up.
    His original post said "No other Android hardware device does that or even comes close" and last time I checked the Nexus 6p IS an Android device so the original statement WAS made up and he has since corrected it, but, regardless I'm not here to argue with anyone, just correcting false statements. I get you guys like to defend Blackberry every way possible and I'm not knocking them, in fact I have had & still have almost every Blackberry ever made including the Priv and I will probably get the Dtek50 and for sure the Argon.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-28-16 01:41 PM
    The idol 4 does come with 3gb of ram. Plus all the "security " dtek" brings are already available in marshmallow they jus made a nice interface for it.
    DTEK (the app) is "read only" or such. It's a facilitator. You're quite correct.
    BlackBerry main security (Hardware root of trust) stands under, before the OS even start and relies on signatures that are injected into chips.
    This is what is meant by "more secure" or "the most secure".
    M brought some improvements on the granularity of (security/permissions) settings.
    N should offer more, much more. BlackBerry will take profit of this, ahead of others.
    And it's soon to happen. And of course, DTEK50 will support it.

So, it's not only about today, probably more about today AND tomorrow

Priv and Dtek50 will probably not see N until 2017 if at all where as the Nexus will probably get it in Oct 2016
    I've just discussed 'N' with "somebody" at BlackBerry. And I feel he bite his tongue. What I read in his eyes (could be 8ball or tea leaves as well, please don't take this for a fact) is that we could have seen N on the DTEK50 at launch. At least what I believe, given the latest comments here and there is that they're really at it, not watching the passing train.
    dietertong likes this.
    07-28-16 01:51 PM

Updates and Security go hand in hand with Android.

What customers "needs" is not always what BlackBerry "provides" (where have you been?). If they exit hardware, then they'll wind down their support for devices. Just as I expect anyone buying a Passport, Classic or Leap this year will find out next year.

As for how long people keep phones... the average is now sitting at three years. For BlackBerry's customer base.. enterprise it is much longer than that I would imagine... friend of mine work at the local AFB, and he has a 9650 still. They have to think long and hard about make a switch to a platform.

I'm just pointing out that with Chen not committed to hardware... it's going to be a little harder for him to sell people on yet another platform. Especially if they have dealt with the BBOS, PlayBook OS and BB10 issues over the last four years.

For some it might come more down to who I can trust to be there in two or three years.... which is also a form of "security".

I am a fan of the Nexus line and how they do get updates for YEARS (don't own one). But to be honest I think Apple has a very secure product that will be updated through the life of most current devcies today. With Carrier pricing an iPhone SE can be had for free by most US enterprise customers, takes millions of dollars to crack into one and with the right EMM that might not even be possible....

The OP asked why buy a DTEK50... I'm just pointing out it will be a tougher sell than what some here think.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-28-16 01:57 PM
    The only real criticism I can throw at this device is no finger print scanner.
    Why should you bother when you have facial or voice recognition ? It's available in the settings (M feature).
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-28-16 02:23 PM
    Why should you bother when you have facial or voice recognition ? It's available in the settings (M feature).
    I don't know if the facial recognition technology has improved since the Note 4, I was using it on my Note 4 until last year when my brother in-law unlocked the phone with his unregistered face while he was looking at it and he does not look anywhere close to me LOL.

Edit: I just went into that screen and it says face matching is less secure than a pattern, pin or password so I guess it's still not very secure.
    07-28-16 03:33 PM
    You have an android phone - there is no privacy, if there was, King Google would not allow them to ship it. You might be able to dig into the settings and swap out apps to limit the information that it collects but out of the box this provides as much information to King Google as any other android device.
    You're right, that's the cost of using any Android phone. But an Android user cannot expect to keep their info from Google any more than an iPhone user can expect to keep their info from Apple. In the end, you are placing your trust in the company that writes the software on your phone. I wonder if DTEK will tell you about any of Google's apps sending your location data etc. like it does with other apps?

For any Blackberry Android phone, the extra security imo is about making it harder on criminals, hackers and malicious or ignorant app developers to misuse or steal your info.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 03:37 PM
118 1234 ...