Dear all,
    as I said in title, please compare BB DTEK 50 with Alcatel Idol 4, where's the difference ?
    Step further, why to buy BB then ? Because of its name ?
    BB offers more security ? LOL
    As a salesmen for years, I know that if you have some new product to sell/offer you have to outstand from competition. With DTEK as a feature BB is trying to do that, will they have any success ? Doubt that !!
    This is not real BB, where's the physical keyboard. PKB is the only thing that makes BB different.
    07-27-16 05:52 AM
    FIPS 140-2 Full Disk Encryption certification, dtek engine and hardware root of trust

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-27-16 06:02 AM
    Many will agree with you. But since BB will have their name stamped on it, it will sell. But not too well.....
    07-27-16 06:03 AM
    Many will agree with you. But since BB will have their name stamped on it, it will sell. But not too well.....
    It seems this time it doesn't have BlackBerry name on the front and the back only has the logo. It might just sell better then most think.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 06:07 AM
    Differences in term of security... 3 gb of Ram instead of 2 for the idol 4 and all BlackBerry apps

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 06:23 AM
    I would also prefer DTEK50 to other Android phones due to the bundled BlackBerry applications. Not to mention about BlackBerry Hub and BlackBerry Virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 06:42 AM
    Differences in term of security... 3 gb of Ram instead of 2 for the idol 4 and all BlackBerry apps

Posted via CB10
    The idol 4 does come with 3gb of ram. Plus all the "security " dtek" brings are already available in marshmallow they jus made a nice interface for it.

And I hear the idol gonna start @$200 given wen can side load almost all bb apps without even rooting I don't think it'll sell that well.

Posted via CB10
    hazmaju, Mecca EL and melander like this.
    07-27-16 07:14 AM
    The idol 4 does come with 3gb of ram. Plus all the "security " dtek" brings are already available in marshmallow they jus made a nice interface for it.

And I hear the idol gonna start @$200 given wen can side load almost all bb apps without even rooting I don't think it'll sell that well.

Posted via CB10
    The DTEK app is not the only security feature. They've hardened the OS, including kernel.

And they've locked down the bootloader as well.

If these features are not important, then obviously it makes more sense to buy the Idol 4. The DTEK50 is for people who want these security features on a lower cost device.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 07-27-16 at 02:34 PM.
    Uzi, Dunt Dunt Dunt, kitmo and 9 others like this.
    07-27-16 10:32 AM
    Dear all,
    as I said in title, please compare BB DTEK 50 with Alcatel Idol 4, where's the difference ?
    Step further, why to buy BB then ? Because of its name ?
    BB offers more security ? LOL
    As a salesmen for years, I know that if you have some new product to sell/offer you have to outstand from competition. With DTEK as a feature BB is trying to do that, will they have any success ? Doubt that !!
    This is not real BB, where's the physical keyboard. PKB is the only thing that makes BB different.
    Why don't you just spend some minutes and watch the videos about this phone instead wondering in the jungle! In simple words if you rip the Dteck into pieces you can't take any data from the phone. While you can hack an alcatel phone as easy as your head is beimg hacked with these ideas

Posted via CB10
    kanungoash, CerveloJohn and jafrul like this.
    07-27-16 01:46 PM
    it's just rebranded with some upgrade like memory slot, simcard slot support now nano and ,some extra ram better modification and of course they also did some protection layer on the chipset and they do have there own kernel protection root and os. This is maybe you pay a little bit more for a stock rom BlackBerry protect os and ofcourse you pay that extra mile for a monthly update en ofcourse Android N in 8 months.

I still don't like Android, I still think it missed a good RGB led notification but when I saw the device and specs is looks average ,but yes it's a midpriced device. You pay that extra buck for privacy, security, control over your data and monthly update's and that's where other users from samsung ,LG and other brands are complaining about, you will get it for some 50 dollar extra but you get it.

It's not my idea of a BlackBerry but just pre-order one for the wife.
    07-27-16 05:31 PM
    Monthly Security Patches and getting more than one update like most Android Manufacturers offer.
    07-27-16 05:42 PM
    If you open up the back... it will probably say Alcatel

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 06:10 PM
    better camera tuning?
    07-27-16 08:53 PM
    I would also prefer DTEK50 to other Android phones due to the bundled BlackBerry applications. Not to mention about BlackBerry Hub and BlackBerry Virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    But it's not the true BlackBerry Hub, there's no pinch to unread, and it doesn't have the app support for alerts like BlackBerry does.

The BlackBerry gesture experience is years ahead of Android. They will never have a better os by sticking some BlackBerry apps on Android and securing it. The true benefit was using bb10 and finding a way to register with Android to get the Google play experience for app support. That would be better in my opinion, which I know does not matter in the grand scheme of things.

Posted via CB10
    vincentkong likes this.
    07-27-16 09:06 PM
    But it's not the true BlackBerry Hub, there's no pinch to unread, and it doesn't have the app support for alerts like BlackBerry does.

The BlackBerry gesture experience is years ahead of Android. They will never have a better os by sticking some BlackBerry apps on Android and securing it. The true benefit was using bb10 and finding a way to register with Android to get the Google play experience for app support. That would be better in my opinion, which I know does not matter in the grand scheme of things.
    Blackberry Hub on Android has come a long way. It has added many features including pinch to unread. You can even access the hub by swiping up and to the right from the Android home button, which is available in any app.

I know it's not exactly like BB10 but overall I'm pretty impressed with Blackberry flavoured Android. I might replace my z30 with the DTEK50.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 10:01 PM
    Yes, most of the hardware is same as idol 4 but this is what you get beyond that. Research!

1. BlackBerry Productivity Suite of apps (Hub, calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, VKB like no other, and all integrated. They will be updated monthly on DTEK50 / PRIV. For those stealing the patched version, good luck keeping them up to date.

2. Monthly security updates. No other Android hardware device sand maybe Nexus does that or even comes close. As a security software person this is very important!

3. DTEK, not only a nice easy to use UI but it actually monitors and notifies you of apps accessing your phone and location etc. Who else does that?
    4. Not rootable. Any other Android devices say that? That is added security.

These 4 important software add-ons are very valuable and worth it.

If you don't care about your personal information on your G4 bloatware non secured phone then move on and don't bash here.

Maybe read the verge review? Know your facts prior to complaining about a device not even on the street yet.

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 07-28-16 at 11:49 AM.
    kitmo, CerveloJohn, Rolo_1 and 3 others like this.
    07-27-16 10:03 PM
    The DTEK app is not the only security feature. They've hardened the OS, including kernel.

And they've locked down the bootloader as well.

If these features are not important, then obviously it makes more sense to buy the Idol 4. The DTEK50 is for people who want these security features on a lower cost device.
    Hardened OS...locked bootloader

What do these do for the end user? What kinds of things happen to other phones that wouldn't happen because of these security features.

Honest questions, not trying to troll. I'm a neophyte on cyber security. I've always had a bbry because first, I liked the keyboard, then I really liked bb10. From 8300 to 9700 to 9810 to z10 to passport...maybe that's why I don't appreciate these things? Bc I've never known differnt?

Tia

Posted via CB10
    07-27-16 11:14 PM
    Pinch to unread is demoed in the BBC preview (about 4 seconds in),

Blackberry battles on with Dtek50 Android phone - BBC News
    07-27-16 11:15 PM
    Hardened OS...locked bootloader

What do these do for the end user? What kinds of things happen to other phones that wouldn't happen because of these security features.

Honest questions, not trying to troll. I'm a neophyte on cyber security. I've always had a bbry because first, I liked the keyboard, then I really liked bb10. From 8300 to 9700 to 9810 to z10 to passport...maybe that's why I don't appreciate these things? Bc I've never known differnt?

Tia
    It means if someone steals your phone it will be much more difficult for them to access your personal info. It means when the next Android malware scare comes, your device might not be vulnerable. In an age where every app and every ad agency wants access to consumers data, I'm glad Blackberry has created software with privacy and security in mind. They've created a device that is more difficult to hack and gives users more control over the apps on their phone. The Blackberry webcast is pretty informative, if a little dull at times. Blackberry also lists technical details on their blog.

Posted via CB10
    valer466 and CerveloJohn like this.
    07-28-16 12:34 AM
    The only real criticism I can throw at this device is no finger print scanner. But for the price I guess it's acceptable.

I don't know about this one. I'm on the fence.

I got my priv but for a 2nd handset and just to keep blackberry alive, I think il spend the money to own one and see what's it about.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-28-16 01:05 AM
    Monthly security updates. No other Android hardware device does that or even comes close. As a security software person this is very important!
    Huh? Both my Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p gets monthly security updates not to mention major O/S updates as soon as they're available while the Priv and Dtek50 will have to wait months or longer. I'm not disagreeing with you on the value added software and security hardware but come on, let's not try and make things up.
    07-28-16 01:46 AM
    better camera tuning?
    I was wondering, is there any specific optimization that you need to perform manually for every new device that comes out or the app code is "universal" and can be moved between devices quite easily?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-28-16 04:20 AM
    Chen destroyed this company. I can't even listen to him speaking, he is a terrible speaker. During his rule of BB he never talked about positive sides, he always focused on the BB being near failure. That's a terrible thing to hear, being a customer or an invester. How did he become a CEO??
    Now this move with absurdly called DTEK50 proves this guy is completely crazy. Maybe Alcatel should buy them and finish this torture?

Posted via CB10
    Al moon likes this.
    07-28-16 04:32 AM
    Huh? Both my Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p gets monthly security updates not to mention major O/S updates as soon as they're available while the Priv and Dtek50 will have to wait months or longer. I'm not disagreeing with you on the value added software and security hardware but come on, let's not try and make things up.
    You can of course expect a Google device to be updated first. Every other Android device can not expect this, except for the Priv and now DTEK50. No other OEM does 0-day patching, he didn't make it up.
    CerveloJohn and miker476 like this.
    07-28-16 04:50 AM
    Why don't you just spend some minutes and watch the videos about this phone instead wondering in the jungle! In simple words if you rip the Dteck into pieces you can't take any data from the phone. While you can hack an Alcatel phone as easy as your head is being hacked with these ideas

Posted via CB10
    LOL

Yep.... first of all, I don't think walking around with an Alcatel branded phone has the same appeal as a BlackBerry one. Second, the "improved" look is much nicer. And third, just re-read the post above... :-) but if you want to keep side loading BlackBerry apps and don't mind other look&feel issues, be my guest and get an Alcatel version or whatever you prefer as an Android phone....

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 04:55 AM
118 123 ...