I think this is possible. If BlackBerry really can make his Android phone secure with his own software strength, no other Android phone can compete with this point. As far as the system is concerned, all the Androids are the same and the only difference boils down to the hardware specifications. If BlackBerry labels the cells reasonably, it is an easy sale.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4275744) likes this.
    08-13-16 07:20 AM
    All they need to do is match Nexus and beat Samsung to upgrades and stop overpricing their phones. That will definitely make noise in the Android community. 6-8 month delay should be shortened.
    big_time2 and IndianTiwari like this.
    08-13-16 07:25 AM
    Agreed. They should release the Aug 5 patch NOW.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-13-16 12:31 PM
    Maybe for fleet use, but not in the consumer market.
    08-13-16 12:42 PM
    Few mainstream consumers even consider security when purchasing a phone. We'll have wait and see how interested the prosumer and business types are, assuming of course they're actually aware that BlackBerry makes a reasonably priced secure Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-13-16 01:11 PM
    Why? I'm a consumer. A concious one. I chose the DTEK50 after matching it up with similarly priced phones from the competition (reputable brands). The Dtek came out as a clear winner for me. BlackBerry finally managed to price a product just right for once, imo. If they keep this up, I think they might turn the ship around. I'd predict that the DTEK50 will do well in the consumer market.

Passport SQW100-1 OS 10.3.2.2876
    08-13-16 01:17 PM
    Why? I'm a consumer. A concious one. I chose the DTEK50 after matching it up with similarly priced phones from the competition (reputable brands). The Dtek came out as a clear winner for me. BlackBerry finally managed to price a product just right for once, imo. If they keep this up, I think they might turn the ship around. I'd predict that the DTEK50 will do well in the consumer market.

You're assuming millions of people think just like you.
    We'll have to wait and see if that's true.
    08-13-16 01:23 PM
    Haven't use the phone yet.

The charger and accessories feel dirt cheap, like those found in the dollar store. Even the Moto G has better looking charger, usb cable etc.

Hope BlackBerry will make their own hardware and place emphasis on hardware and accessories quality.

08-13-16 01:39 PM
    i think this is also very possible if blackberry can just be focused and dedicated but they should please not forget the bb OS10 lovers(like me) in this focus and dedication. Long live BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 01:44 PM

You're a former BB10 user who is loyal to the company and buys what they sell. Oh, and no marketing, no Android user base that is loyal to them (besides the small group who switched or purchased a Priv), no clear direction on what they are doing ("Stop asking us about phones, we are a software company), and fighting in a mid level space that no one is winning because the market is flooded with them).
    08-13-16 01:45 PM
    I was an android user that switched to bb10 because I am security conscious and back to android with the priv. It really doesn't have anything to do with me being loyal to BlackBerry it's just that BlackBerry is the only one even giving a crap about security. I see people griping about priv build quality and so on and so forth. Mine has been great since March. No issues at all. I don't think the phones built by or for BlackBerry are any worse than any other android I've seen. People here and on say android central tend to take things to the extreme

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    Barbareren and jamesharmeling like this.
    08-13-16 01:58 PM
    Why not? Why can't this compete in the G4-G4 Plus space? Device build quality is superior from first hand use and it does all the things the Moto does but more securely and with timely updates. Have you used or held either in comparison?
    BlackBerry Android cell to beat all other Androids-img_20160813_114130.jpg
    BlackBerry Android cell to beat all other Androids-img_20160813_114245.jpg

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    08-13-16 01:59 PM

DTEK50 appears to have the "best" specs among the mid-range phones from major/reputable brands. It has almost every feature that one would expect from a phone. The other mid-range phones will lack in one or two important features. For example, Moto G4 has no NFC support, Nexus 5X has no microSD support, etc. Some of the biggest annoyance of a mid-range phone is there is no "clear all" function in the recent apps screen (eg Moto G3), or a battery percentage indicator on the screen. This would mean one needs to swipe multiple times to clear apps or swipe down a couple times to see the battery percentage.

Some of the features that are not featured or commonly found in a mid-range phone but available in DTEK50:

1. NFC support
    2. Wi-Fi 802.11 ac
    3. QC 2.0 Fast Charging
    4. Notification LED
    5. USB OTG
    6. "Clear All" function in Recent Apps
    7. Battery Percentage Indicator

I shortlisted the DTEK50 because it has all the above 7 features which non of the major mid-range brand has.
    08-13-16 02:01 PM
    DTEK50 appears to have the "best" specs among the mid-range phones from major/reputable brands. It has almost every feature that one would expect from a phone. The other mid-range phones will lack in one or two important features. For example, Moto G4 has no NFC support, Nexus 5X has no microSD support, etc. Some of the biggest annoyance of a mid-range phone is there is no "clear all" function in the recent apps screen (eg Moto G3), or a battery percentage indicator on the screen. This would mean one needs to swipe multiple times to clear apps or swipe down a couple times to see the battery percentage.

Some of the features that are not featured or commonly found in a mid-range phone but available in DTEK50:

1. NFC support
    2. Wi-Fi 802.11 ac
    3. QC 2.0 Fast Charging
    4. Notification LED
    5. USB OTG
    6. "Clear All" function in Recent Apps
    7. Battery Percentage Indicator

I shortlisted the DTEK50 because it has all the above 7 features which non of the major mid-range brand has.
    Nice post and great points.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-13-16 02:12 PM
    Why not? Why can't this compete in the G4-G4 Plus space? Device build quality is superior from first hand use and it does all the things the Moto does but more securely and with timely updates. Have you used or held either in comparison?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160813_114130.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	406358
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160813_114245.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	406359

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    I didn't say it couldn't, I just don't think it will, for the same reason the Priv can't compete in the high end market. I'm not knocking the phone, I just don't think Blackberry can dig themselves out of the hole they've dug.
    08-13-16 03:02 PM
    I didn't say it couldn't, I just don't think it will, for the same reason the Priv can't compete in the high end market. I'm not knocking the phone, I just don't think Blackberry can dig themselves out of the hole they've dug.
    This phone will tell the story because they have finally produced a phone with decent specs at a decent price. If the Dtek doesn't work, I doubt anything will.
    Barbareren and Matt J like this.
    08-13-16 03:03 PM
    BlackBerry just needs the government to not be able to Crack a crook's BlackBerry phone, then the first statement from BlackBerry should be "Sorry, we can't help. It is impossible to Crack a BlackBerry with Android, even for us."

Posted via CB10
    08-13-16 03:12 PM
    I am still hesitant to buy DTEK50. $100 more i can get one plus 3 or axon 7. I admit that I am blackberry loyal user but I wish phone had snapdragon 820 with $399 price tag.
    08-13-16 03:24 PM
    This phone will tell the story because they have finally produced a phone with decent specs at a decent price. If the Dtek doesn't work, I doubt anything will.
    Agreed.

At least I did my bit and bought 3.
    Arabianhorse and LyoobaBerry like this.
    08-13-16 03:29 PM
    Agreed.

At least I did my bit and bought 3.
    Wow! Did you receive them yet?
    08-13-16 03:30 PM
    I am still hesitant to buy DTEK50. $100 more i can get one plus 3 or axon 7. I admit that I am blackberry loyal user but I wish phone had snapdragon 820 with $399 price tag.
    I believe you need to place a value on the added security features and BlackBerry apps at about $100. If you can't see fit to do that, then this device is not for you.

So in reality, you have to judge the value of the hardware at $200, which would mean the OnePlus is double the price.
    krazyatom likes this.
    08-13-16 03:33 PM
    Agreed. They should release the Aug 5 patch NOW.

Been on the patch for a few days now...

Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry Android cell to beat all other Androids-35392.jpg  
    08-13-16 03:37 PM
    You're a former BB10 user who is loyal to the company and buys what they sell. Oh, and no marketing, no Android user base that is loyal to them (besides the small group who switched or purchased a Priv), no clear direction on what they are doing ("Stop asking us about phones, we are a software company), and fighting in a mid level space that no one is winning because the market is flooded with them).
    You couldn't be more wrong in your assumption about me. I never liked BlackBerry products before. I only got the Q10 and later the Passport (which I still use) after all the other manufacturers had stopped making physical keyboard phones. I was previously using Symbian OS and Android sliders. Loyalty towards a company is something I find completely irrational. I was fed up with BlackBerry's lack of support for OS10 and eventually threw in the towel because of the increasing app-gap. I ordered the DTEK50 only after careful consideration and comparison with other Android phones. The Dtek came out on top for me when it came to features in relation to price. I'm not the only price concious consumer who do their research before purchasing a new phone. Obviously I prefer pkb phones, therefore I might get the Rome/Mercury (if it ever comes out). Please stop making assumptions about people, it only makes you look ignorant and judgmental. I agree about your point about the lack of marketing and direction, though.

anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-13-16 03:40 PM
    I hope the DTEK50 does well. I've had my eye on the Priv since BB first made their announcement of the device, but then again, I'm not an average consumer. I work in the technology world so I generally keep in touch with things, even if they are on my periphery. The recent and significant price drop on the Priv was the deciding factor for me to purchase one and give it a shot. Wasn't going to pay AT&T's exorbitant 2015 release price on the unit and since it was a new device from BB, figured it would go through some growing pains.

I think maybe BB struggles due to what I'd call a perfect storm.
    1. Lack of advertising from BB (which translates into lack of general consumer BB product awareness, especially among youth).
    2. Uncertainty of future from devoted BB users as they see a possible move away from BB10 and dabble in the Android market.
    3. Past conceptions/misconceptions from the general consumer who still thinks of BB as a business/govt-only device. (Lack of "cool" factor?)
    4. Sheer overwhelming marketing power from the likes of Apple and Samsung.
    5. Lack of general consumer knowledge of powerful BB management applications, such as Hub.

And last but not least...and what some might call a sad commentary on (again) marketing strategies in today's world...

6. Lack of social media presence. (I'm not implying they don't have a social media presence, but one can argue that it's definitely not at the level of Apple or Samsung. I mean, here I sit watching the Olympic Games and I'm bombarded with Samsung commercials for phones, washer/dryer, and refrigerators.)

Yes, I understand that it's not fair to compare BB's financial statements against Samsung's, but I'll not belabor the point.
    08-13-16 03:41 PM
    You're couldn't be more wrong in your assumptions about me. I never liked BlackBerry products before. I only got the Q10 and later the Passport (which I still use) after all the other manufacturers had stopped making physical keyboard phones. I was previously using Symbian OS and Android sliders. Loyalty towards a company is something I find completely irrational. I was fed up with BlackBerry's lack of support for OS10 and eventually threw in the towel because of the increasing app-gap. I ordered the DTEK50 only after careful consideration and comparison with other Android phones. The Dtek came out on top for me when it came to features in relation to price. I'm not the only price concious consumer who do their research before purchasing a new phone. Obviously I prefer pkb phones, therefore I might get the Rome/Mercury (if it ever comes out). Please stop making assumptions about people, it only makes you look ignorant and judgmental. I agree about your point about the lack of marketing and direction, though.

Dude take a breath. Ok, you're not a loyalist. No need to get all worked up.
    08-13-16 03:41 PM
38 12