I used to be a long die hard BBRY fanboy but when the started down the BB10 path I knew it was about time I exited stage left.

I have read the reviews and comments BBRY has made about this new device and I have to say BBRY has a blurred vision for what type of people will want to use this device. The device is supposedly more secure than Android and Apple devices, that might be so but people don't care about the level of security when it comes to their phones, they just want a device that incorporates into their every day life that is fun and easy to use and of course has the latest bells and whistles when it comes to the technology built inside. This is why I think BBRY's vision is blurred, the people who will benefit from these devices, the corporations and other businesses have for the most part moved to another platforms and if you know anything about the costs and commitment involved in doing this the likelihood these people will switch back to BBRY is slim to none.

So BBRY needs to stop saying it's devices as the best thing since slice bread when it comes to security and needs to start applying a level of fun and happiness to their device's because that's what people want to see; that's how Apple and Samsung have been doing for years; making money selling devices, while BBRY does nothing.

I sure hope that BBRY gets their act together one of these days and make a phone that are at par with Apple and other Android devices, and puts the fun back into them that will make people feel they "MUST" have one of their devices again. You die hard fanboys who will continue to buy BBRY devices are probably the only ones supporting BBRY right now.

Thanks,
    Nikola Stojic and pstrusi like this.
    07-27-16 02:20 PM
    Enterprise Feet Devices... that is what these are...

Sorry but BlackBerry IS NEVER going to be on par with Apple or any other Android OEM that makes their own phones... Which is why Chen is focused on providing and end-to-end solution for his enterprise customers.

The BlackBerry you fell in love with is dead... you can either accept this "shell" (not even a red notification light) of what they once were, or move on.
    07-27-16 02:26 PM
    Enterprise Feet Devices... that is what these are...

Sorry but BlackBerry IS NEVER going to be on par with Apple or any other Android OEM that makes their own phones... Which is why Chen is focused on providing and end-to-end solution for his enterprise customers.

The BlackBerry you fell in love with is dead... you can either accept this "shell" (not even a red notification light) of what they once were, or move on.
    No enterprise customers are going buy their phones in volume, most have moved away from BBRY devices, period. To go back would set them back hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of dollars. Maybe 5 ~ 10 years down the road when they are looking to replace the solution they have they switch back to BBRY again.
    David Tyler likes this.
    07-27-16 02:31 PM
    Seems like you don't get it. I'll summarise for u.

Security focused (BlackBerry knowhow) + Fun phone (Android) for business and regulated industry or everyday user.

Physical keyboard and virtual keyboard phones so take your pick.

Slider, highend = PRIV. Slab mid-range = Dtek50. Highend Slab and PKB only due to be released.

Looks to me like they got all types of people covered so no idea what more u want.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    kitmo likes this.
    07-27-16 02:35 PM
    I used to be a long die hard BBRY fanboy but when the started down the BB10 path I knew it was about time I exited stage left. ........
    Sorry, if what you are saying above is that you exited BEFORE BB10 because you thought that was a bad move compared to BB OS7 then I can't take anything else you say seriously. BB10 at the time and some would argue now still even with the App Gap, was/is a really great OS and having used an Android without the BlackBerry Apps it's terrible so this is great.
    07-27-16 02:35 PM
    I used to be a long die hard BBRY fanboy but when the started down the BB10 path I knew it was about time I exited stage left.

I have read the reviews and comments BBRY has made about this new device and I have to say BBRY has a blurred vision for what type of people will want to use this device. The device is supposedly more secure than Android and Apple devices, that might be so but people don't care about the level of security when it comes to their phones, they just want a device that incorporates into their every day life that is fun and easy to use and of course has the latest bells and whistles when it comes to the technology built inside. This is why I think BBRY's vision is blurred, the people who will benefit from these devices, the corporations and other businesses have for the most part moved to another platforms and if you know anything about the costs and commitment involved in doing this the likelihood these people will switch back to BBRY is slim to none.

So BBRY needs to stop saying it's devices as the best thing since slice bread when it comes to security and needs to start applying a level of fun and happiness to their device's because that's what people want to see; that's how Apple and Samsung have been doing for years; making money selling devices, while BBRY does nothing.

I sure hope that BBRY gets their act together one of these days and make a phone that are at par with Apple and other Android devices, and puts the fun back into them that will make people feel they "MUST" have one of their devices again. You die hard fanboys who will continue to buy BBRY devices are probably the only ones supporting BBRY right now.

Thanks,

Things BlackBerry is more focused on:

Software
    IoT
    End to end solutions
    Enterprise
    Design elements

Things they're not focused on:

Hardware
    Yours or anyone else opinion

Typed with my BlackBerry PRIV(acy), the more secure Andriod device.
    Tien-Lin Chang and andy957 like this.
    07-27-16 02:36 PM
    Maybe 5 ~ 10 years down the road when they are looking to replace the solution they have they switch back to BBRY again.
    5/10 What xD?.. Do Enterprises/Govs keep their phones 5-10 years now.. Lets be more realistic please.. That would be a security nightmare as the devices would be seriously outdated, out-screwed and out-everything.
    07-27-16 02:42 PM
    No enterprise customers are going buy their phones in volume, most have moved away from BBRY devices, period. To go back would set them back hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of dollars. Maybe 5 ~ 10 years down the road when they are looking to replace the solution they have they switch back to BBRY again.
    I think Chen would be happy just keeping those that are currently using either BBOS or BB10. Might be 8 million users in total so over a four year replacement cycle he might could hope to sell two million phones a year to these users.

Some that moved away when BB10 was launched might not be happy and be looking for something else at this point.

I think he has about a 1 in 5 chance of being successful and keeping hardware.... but right now he simply can't let those hardware revenue just go away. Even if it is costing him.
    07-27-16 02:43 PM
    Being profitable in hardware is not an impossible job.. Specially with a 3 million devices target.. Chen just got it seriously wrong with the Priv's pricing and the PKB.. It can be done.. I think he saw enough demand for the phone before he released it.. Otherwise he would be an example of failure .. The fact that he said people demanded a $350-400 phone, reveals that..

All the talk about impossible, won't happen and can't happen are rubbish.. In Business there is no such thing.. If he knows what he is doing he could've made the comeback with the Priv.. Until now I think they got well with the DTEK50 (Aside from design aspects that shouldn't affect the big picture).. So we wait and see how they do.. They think they can be profitable by September, so they're banking on this device.. We'll see, if it sells hats off to Chen & his management.. if it doesn't sell then its his failure.. Not because its beyond saving, nothing is beyond saving or turning around..
    07-27-16 02:51 PM
    All the talk about impossible, won't happen and can't happen are rubbish.. In Business there is no such thing.. If he knows what he is doing he could've made the comeback with the Priv.. Until now I think they got well with the DTEK50 (Aside from design aspects that shouldn't affect the big picture).. So we wait and see how they do.. They think they can be profitable by September, so they're banking on this device.. We'll see, if it sells hats off to Chen & his management.. if it doesn't sell then its his failure.. Not because its beyond saving, nothing is beyond saving or turning around..
    I totally agree. All the missteps going back to the PlayBook and since have been BlackBerry's fault alone and have nothing to do with the success of their competitors. They COULD still get it right going forward if they have the right people in place. Do they though? So far, I am not convinced.
    Thaefner18, Sairos and David Tyler like this.
    07-27-16 03:12 PM
    Things BlackBerry is more focused on:

Software
    IoT
    End to end solutions
    Enterprise
    Design elements

Things they're not focused on:

Hardware
    Yours or anyone else opinion

Typed with my BlackBerry PRIV(acy), the more secure Andriod device.
    Not more focused on, it's what they ARE focused on. Handset business will be discontinued by Q4. Simple business 101 stuff.
    07-27-16 03:14 PM
    Being profitable in hardware is not an impossible job.. Specially with a 3 million devices target.. Chen just got it seriously wrong with the Priv's pricing and the PKB.. It can be done.. I think he saw enough demand for the phone before he released it.. Otherwise he would be an example of failure .. The fact that he said people demanded a $350-400 phone, reveals that..

September is a month away. Not gonna happen my friend. DOA!
    07-27-16 03:16 PM
    September is a month away. Not gonna happen my friend. DOA!
    They think they can be profitable by Sep and they're counting on this Device.. But even if they fail to be profitable at Sep, their deadline is the end of the fiscal year which is March/17..

My little lecture is about them becoming profitable generally, not by Sep.. I stressed "They think they can be profitable by Sep".
    07-27-16 03:20 PM
    They think they can be profitable by Sep and they're counting on this Device.. But even if they fail to be profitable at Sep, their deadline is the end of the fiscal year which is March/17..

My little lecture is about them becoming profitable generally, not by Sep.. I stressed "They think they can be profitable by Sep".
    Chen has openly stated he is giving it until Sept to decide. Look it up.

Hard to increase sales in the US when this device will only be at retail stores that nobody visits. Unfortunately, nobody in the US will be buying this handset. Hope I'm wrong, but it's pretty apparent from my perspective when you have virtually zero distribution from the major carriers.

"In the U.S., DTEK50 will initially be available in Best Buy, B&H and Amazon. "
    07-27-16 03:25 PM
    Chen has openly stated he is giving it until Sept to decide. Look it up.

Hard to increase sales in the US when this device will only be at retail stores that nobody visits. Unfortunately, nobody in the US will be buying this handset. Hope I'm wrong, but it's pretty apparent from my perspective when you have virtually zero distribution from the major carriers.

"In the U.S., DTEK50 will initially be available in Best Buy, B&H and Amazon. "
    I'm aware of all the information about the carriers and they can still be profitable without them in my opinion..

Until Sep to Decide what?
    07-27-16 03:30 PM
    I'm aware of all the information about the carriers and they can still be profitable without them in my opinion..

Until Sep to Decide what?

Whether they are gonna stay in the handset business. I didn't make this up, you'll have to believe me. Chen has publicly stated this. He want to claim success for turning around the company and making it a profitable SW company. He can't do this without getting out of the unprofitable handset business. Make sense?
    07-27-16 04:58 PM
    Whether they are gonna stay in the handset business. I didn't make this up, you'll have to believe me. Chen has publicly stated this. He want to claim success for turning around the company and making it a profitable SW company. He can't do this without getting out of the unprofitable handset business. Make sense?
    Oh I'm not doubting you, Just innocently asking xD.. From what I read they gave it to until the end of the fiscal year.. One sure thing though is the release of another android device with a PKB.. The almighty Rome, which will get DTEK'd.. Alex Thurber said its coming soon so lets see.

I understand the part about killing off hardware.. That will happen if the devices fail to sell.. but fingers crossed, all the new devices will sell and BlackBerry's hardware division becomes profitable.. I'm cautiously optimistic
    07-27-16 05:03 PM
    I don't understand why BB keeps releasing phones without a physical keyboard? After testing a Samsung S6 active using BES 12 I liked it alot except one thing. I really want a physical keyboard. So much so that I'm going to evaluate a priv. After all I can get any Android phone that supports android for work and BES 12 if I'm willing to live with a screen keyboard so I have lots of choices there. What I really want is a physical keyboard. I'm looking at Mercury as a possible choice, but that's many many months away. Why isn't that phone coming first? That's what true BB users would want. It seems like they got the order wrong. Should have been PKB first then more non-pkb phones to follow. Just my 2 cents.

Roveer
    07-27-16 05:05 PM
    Just make the software available to those who want it instead of attatching it with a pos device, id be willing to pay for sofware like that

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-27-16 05:30 PM
    I don't understand why BB keeps releasing phones without a physical keyboard?
    Classic, Passport and Priv all have PKB's.

It's actually been a while since BB came out with an all glass phone.
    07-27-16 05:42 PM
    I don't understand why BB keeps releasing phones without a physical keyboard?
    3 out of the last 5 released phones had a PKB.. Passport, Classic & Priv Vs Leap & DTEK50.

Another android device with a PKB will be released soon.. Making it 4 out of 6 with PKB.
    07-27-16 05:44 PM
    I don't understand why BB keeps releasing phones without a physical keyboard? After testing a Samsung S6 active using BES 12 I liked it alot except one thing. I really want a physical keyboard. So much so that I'm going to evaluate a priv. After all I can get any Android phone that supports android for work and BES 12 if I'm willing to live with a screen keyboard so I have lots of choices there. What I really want is a physical keyboard. I'm looking at Mercury as a possible choice, but that's many many months away. Why isn't that phone coming first? That's what true BB users would want. It seems like they got the order wrong. Should have been PKB first then more non-pkb phones to follow. Just my 2 cents.

Roveer
    You have a very valid point, but BlackBerry is trying to get new customers or bring back old ones. Most people today want a non physical keyboard. Therefore BlackBerry had to provide a phone for the general public, and not for die hard BlackBerry fans in order to survive. If BlackBerry were to have first released a phone with a pkb it probably would have only hurt the company more then it's hurting already. So just hang on until (if) BlackBerry will produce a new phone with a pkb.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    07-27-16 05:48 PM
    Oh I'm not doubting you, Just innocently asking xD.. From what I read they gave it to until the end of the fiscal year.. One sure thing though is the release of another android device with a PKB.. The almighty Rome, which will get DTEK'd.. Alex Thurber said its coming soon so lets see.

I understand the part about killing off hardware.. That will happen if the devices fail to sell.. but fingers crossed, all the new devices will sell and BlackBerry's hardware division becomes profitable.. I'm cautiously optimistic
    Not trying to be negative, but I, like Chen, prefer making decisions based on data - revenue, profits, survey data, etc. Chen has put a line in the sand (finally) regarding the lackluster and unpredictable handset business. SW is their future and it's clear. It's also highly profitable in comparison, which is why you hear him touting it so much. That said, the new DTEK phone is a hail marry attempt, but time has already run out.

I'm gonna bold this comment so I can come back to it in a few months, but here goes:

BB WILL OFFICIALLY EXIT THE HANDSET BUSINESS in support of more favorable and predictable revenue and profit streams - e.g. their SW business.

Now, regarding my original comment about using data to make decisions, if you look at the homepage of CB, you'll see a survey regarding those interested (or not) in purchasing the new DTEK device. I'll provide a preview for you - it ain't looking good.

Sorry, but even though I'm as disappointed as you, I have to commend Chen for making tough decisions in favor of saving the business. BB will be a much different company in the coming months. The data is there, it's just a matter of digesting it now.

Will you be pre-ordering a BlackBerry DTEK50? | CrackBerry.com
    07-27-16 07:16 PM
    Not trying to be negative, but I, like Chen, prefer making decisions based on data - revenue, profits, survey data, etc. Chen has put a line in the sand (finally) regarding the lackluster and unpredictable handset business. SW is their future and it's clear. It's also highly profitable in comparison, which is why you hear him touting it so much. That said, the new DTEK phone is a hail marry attempt, but time has already run out.

I'm gonna bold this comment so I can come back to it in a few months, but here goes:

BB WILL OFFICIALLY EXIT THE HANDSET BUSINESS in support of more favorable and predictable revenue and profit streams - e.g. their SW business.

Now, regarding my original comment about using data to make decisions, if you look at the homepage of CB, you'll see a survey regarding those interested (or not) in purchasing the new DTEK device. I'll provide a preview for you - it ain't looking good.

Sorry, but even though I'm as disappointed as you, I have to commend Chen for making tough decisions in favor of saving the business. BB will be a much different company in the coming months. The data is there, it's just a matter of digesting it now.

Will you be pre-ordering a BlackBerry DTEK50? | CrackBerry.com
    Yup I checked the poll, I was actually one of the persons who voted No.. The poll result wasn't a surprise for me.. The device is mostly intended for Govs & Enterprises.. It won't appeal much to a lot BB fans because its missing the PKB and BlackBerry's elegant design.. However I expect the next one (Rome) to gain the fans satisfaction as it will be fully designed by BlackBerry, not a re-branded phone.. So that's the real deal to wait for..

I'm following closely on the whole SW V HW direction.. BlackBerry now is considered a SW & Cyber-security company.. When it comes to handsets, echocing Chen's words.. They're more of a "design house".. I can't make a prediction on whether the new devices will sell or not.. There is no doubt that if they didn't sell, then its Bye-Bye Phones for BlackBerry, which of course will be a very sad moment for a lot of fans here and outside of CB too .. Only time will tell what will happen.
    07-27-16 07:27 PM
    Yup I checked the poll, I was actually one of the persons who voted No.. The poll result wasn't a surprise for me.. The device is mostly intended for Govs & Enterprises.. It won't appeal much to a lot BB fans because its missing the PKB and BlackBerry's elegant design.. However I expect the next one (Rome) to gain the fans satisfaction as it will be fully designed by BlackBerry, not a re-branded phone.. So that's the real deal to wait for..

I'm following closely on the whole SW V HW direction.. BlackBerry now is considered a SW & Cyber-security company.. When it comes to handsets, echocing Chen's words.. They're more of a "design house".. I can't make a prediction on whether the new devices will sell or not.. There is no doubt that if they didn't sell, then its Bye-Bye Phones for BlackBerry, which of course will be a very sad moment for a lot of fans here and outside of CB too .. Only time will tell what will happen.
    I have no idea what Rome is all about, when or if it'll be announced and if it will be supported by my carrier. Trying to speculate on BB's handset game plan is an effort in frustration and bye-golly, BB continues to announce things at random times, whitch poor marketing/communications behind it. Hard to support these guys any more.
    07-27-16 07:51 PM
46 12