Hi, how to I transfer apps to my SD card as I'm out of free space on my Dtek 50
    03-14-17 05:30 AM
    You have to first set your SD as adoptable, or internal memory, then you can move some of the apps to the card. Only those the the developer bothered to code for moving.
    What are you storing on your SD now? Put all of your pics, vids and music on the SD and you should have plenty of internal memory.
    If you do go with the adoptable option, (normally a really bad idea) you will have to back up your SD, cuz doing that will erase it.
    What all have you got on that thing? 16GB will handle a whole lot of apps.

And make sure you are using a big enough, top quality, high speed SD card before opting to make it internal. I'd run a verification test on it first. Lots of cheap counterfeit cards out there, even from normally reputable vendors. Cuz once you do do that, the card is part of the phone, you can't take it out.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ogic.sdi&hl=en
    03-14-17 06:56 AM
  3. Felix Emanuel Charles Marmann's Avatar
    How do I set my device as an "adoptable internal storage" ? I'm likely facing the same problem as the OP.
    03-14-17 10:59 AM
    How do I set my device as an "adoptable internal storage" ? I'm likely facing the same problem as the OP.
    Settings > Storage & USB > [your SD card] > three dots > Settings > Format as internal
    03-14-17 11:22 AM
    Info on adoptable storage that may be useful.
    https://motorola-global-portal.custh...34/p/1449,9582
    03-14-17 11:38 AM
  6. Felix Emanuel Charles Marmann's Avatar
    Settings > Storage & USB > [your SD card] > three dots > Settings > Format as internal
    Thanks!
    03-14-17 11:43 AM
    Some quotes from the link japsuki posted above in #19 - from Motorola

"IMPORTANT: Motorola recommends setting up the SD card as Internal Storage if the device has 8GB or less of storage."

"IMPORTANT: If an SD card set up as internal storage is removed from the device, it can cause card corruption. There is no guarantee that, upon re-insertion, the device will still be able to read the card as it contains a unique encryption key. "

"The lifetime of an SD can vary depending on its manufacturer and class. We see a large variety of cards, each with different properties. If you decide to use an SD card for internal storage, it will typically have lower life span expectations than embedded device storage. Perform regular back-ups to the cloud to ensure you don't lose important data in the event of SD card failure."
    03-14-17 01:23 PM
    I quite like the method of split the SD card into two parts, partial work as internal memory of the phone.
    Does this function work on DTEK50
    03-17-17 11:45 AM
  9. Felix Emanuel Charles Marmann's Avatar
    I quite like the method of split the SD card into two parts, partial work as internal memory of the phone.
    Does this function work on DTEK50
    Good question indeed.
    03-17-17 03:03 PM
    Move Apps to SD Card Using Application Manager:-

1. Navigate to Settings on your phone. You can find the settings menu in the app drawer.

2. Tap Apps.

3. Select an app you want to move to the microSD card.

4. Tap Storage.

5. Tap Change if it’s there. If you don’t see the Change option, the app cannot be moved. If you are unable to find any apps with this option, it is likely that your device does not support the feature.

6. Tap Move.
    03-18-17 12:45 AM
    The KEYone was still 50/50 when I got the 50, so I just went ahead with doing adoptable storage for my SD, but now that it's a reality, I just realized... how will I transfer everything to the K1... that is not via Cloud?!

Dump it to my desktop, reformat SD, put the SD to K1, then transfer from desktop to K1? Is that doable?
    03-21-17 05:10 AM
    Move Apps to SD Card Using Application Manager
    Only works if SD has been set up as internal.

Dump it to my desktop, reformat SD, put the SD to K1, then transfer from desktop to K1? Is that doable?
    Before you can do that, you have to undo the 'SD as internal', there is an option to do that in the menu somewhere.
    The SD cannot be used for anything outside the phone if formatted for internal. And if you remove it, the is a chance it will not be usable when re-inserted.
    03-21-17 08:29 AM
    Only works if SD has been set up as internal.

Before you can do that, you have to undo the 'SD as internal', there is an option to do that in the menu somewhere.
    The SD cannot be used for anything outside the phone if formatted for internal. And if you remove it, the is a chance it will not be usable when re-inserted.
    Yeah, as I've mentioned, I've already unfortunately set the SD to adoptable storage, so I'm guessing the content transfer via Cloud is the only real way to transfer files to another phone.

So, if anyone is thinking of doing adoptable storage, please keep this in mind.
    03-21-17 10:45 PM
    Yeah, as I've mentioned, I've already unfortunately set the SD to adoptable storage, so I'm guessing the content transfer via Cloud is the only real way to transfer files to another phone.

So, if anyone is thinking of doing adoptable storage, please keep this in mind.
    I don't understand why you think you HAVE to use the cloud to transfer the files.
    You can plug your phone into a computer and copy files off it. Or you can plug a USB stick or portable hdd into the phone.
    Wezard likes this.
    03-22-17 08:01 AM
    I don't understand why you think you HAVE to use the cloud to transfer the files.
    You can plug your phone into a computer and copy files off it. Or you can plug a USB stick or portable hdd into the phone.
    Yeah silly me. My brain was late to arrive to work earlier, and misunderstood the reply of Wezard.
    03-22-17 08:20 AM
    I don't actually know the steps to undo an internal card, but apparently it isn't that hard. Just make it portable again, move what you want/can to it, and physically swap cards.
    Your apps, (unless you are getting them elsewhere) are already logged by Google Play, you can sign into your account, tell it you have a new phone, and it will automatically download your apps, some of them will even retain your settings.
    03-22-17 05:34 PM
    Move Apps to SD Card Using Application Manager:-

1. Navigate to Settings on your phone. You can find the settings menu in the app drawer.

2. Tap Apps.

3. Select an app you want to move to the microSD card.

4. Tap Storage.

5. Tap Change if it’s there. If you don’t see the Change option, the app cannot be moved. If you are unable to find any apps with this option, it is likely that your device does not support the feature.

6. Tap Move.
    Not all the apps working in this method
    03-23-17 01:24 PM
    Good question indeed.
    I just bought a Dtek50 as my Priv seems got some problems. And proof this method work.
    I have split a 128Gb SD card into 2 parts - 30Gb as internal storage and rest as external SD
    03-23-17 01:27 PM
    I have split a 128Gb SD card into 2 parts - 30Gb as internal storage and rest as external SD
    How in the world do you do that? As in, specifically, what steps or app do you use?
    03-23-17 07:58 PM
  20. Felix Emanuel Charles Marmann's Avatar
    I just moved one of my larger apps (Tahuna bike navigation) to the SD card without the need to mark the card as internal storage. I tested it and it works really properly.
    03-24-17 04:03 AM
    Curious to know how to move an app or even better to split a sd card
    03-24-17 04:48 AM
    I just moved one of my larger apps (Tahuna bike navigation) to the SD card without the need to mark the card as internal storage. I tested it and it works really properly.
    Are you running Lollipop?
    03-24-17 05:11 PM
  23. Felix Emanuel Charles Marmann's Avatar
    Are you running Lollipop?
    Nope. Marshmallow 6.0.1

Device: BlackBerry DTE50.
    03-24-17 06:49 PM
    Nope. Marshmallow 6.0.1

Device: BlackBerry DTE50.
    Weird. I thought you couldn't do that in BlackBerry Marshmallow.
    Have you double checked that the SD really is in portable mode? Maybe try plugging it into a pc and see if you can read files?

Edit: in case I wasn't clear, I mean with a card reader (not through the phone).
    03-24-17 06:59 PM
    Moving apps to SD is not supported by Marshmallow, regardless of brand. Thats not to say that an app couldn't be coded to allow for it. But that would be a lot of extra work for the dev. Google would frown on it, but that particular app isn't available through the play store, so wouldn't have to play by Google's rules.

But I'm guessing the poster initially set card up as adopted without realizing it.
    03-24-17 07:41 PM
34 12