Half the time the comments here are 'F Android' 'Android sucks' 'Nope, doesn't run BB10 it can die in a fire', so really, a few extra days and more time with the device than two hours before presenting a hands-on or review is not going to kill anyone anyway.
    LOL!
    07-27-16 08:28 PM
    Bla1ze is a true believer and his reviews are worth the wait, if he survives the Arizona heat with his Canadian insulation

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-27-16 11:31 PM
    Bla1ze is a true believer and his reviews are worth the wait, if he survives the Arizona heat with his Canadian insulation

True believer doesn't let vacation and family get in the way of a rare device release......

But the real truth is... What is there to say. The Idol 4 was announced back in February, and there were a few hands on reviews back then. The software package hasn't changed in the DTECK50 from what the PRIV has. And it's going to be hard to be positive with a phone that is at the lower end of the spectrum - Camera... so so. Performance... so so. Build Quality... so so. Call Quality and Reception... so so. Battery life... ?? It's a $200 hardware package (for Alcatel - BlackBerry asking $300 doesn't change what it is hardware wise)... Bla1ze probably doesn't even want to tell you what he thinks of this phone...

Alcatel was packaging it with a cheap VR headset to help it stand out in the low end crowd. All BlackBerry has is Privacy/Security.... (which is very good, just not very marketable with consumers or those that feel safe enough as is).

In the end, it is what it is... a device designed to be cheap and something to be deployed as a fleet device for those companies that want an end-to-end solution.
    Laura Knotek and spiller like this.
    07-28-16 07:56 AM
    True believer doesn't let vacation and family get in the way of a rare device release......

But the real truth is... What is there to say. The Idol 4 was announced back in February, and there were a few hands on reviews back then. The software package hasn't changed in the DTECK50 from what the PRIV has. And it's going to be hard to be positive with a phone that is at the lower end of the spectrum - Camera... so so. Performance... so so. Build Quality... so so. Call Quality and Reception... so so. Battery life... ?? It's a $200 hardware package (for Alcatel - BlackBerry asking $300 doesn't change what it is hardware wise)... Bla1ze probably doesn't even want to tell you what he thinks of this phone...

Alcatel was packaging it with a cheap VR headset to help it stand out in the low end crowd. All BlackBerry has is Privacy/Security.... (which is very good, just not very marketable with consumers or those that feel safe enough as is).

In the end, it is what it is... a device designed to be cheap and something to be deployed as a fleet device for those companies that want an end-to-end solution.
    The difference between the bleeding edge $700+ phones and mid-range $300 phones is similar to the difference between a BMW M3 and a Honda Accord. The difference is very real, and enthusiasts and reviewers love the high end models, but, for people making a rational decision with limited resources, the higher end models are pure luxury. 95% of the Android market would be very well served with Blackberry's latest offering.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 12:41 PM
    The difference between the bleeding edge $700+ phones and mid-range $300 phones is similar to the difference between a BMW M3 and a Honda Accord. The difference is very real, and enthusiasts and reviewers love the high end models, but, for people making a rational decision with limited resources, the higher end models are pure luxury. 95% of the Android market would be very well served with Blackberry's latest offering.

Posted via CB10
    Problem is that leasing and financing plus contracts that these carriers have offered over the years has made consumers with Accord $ be able to get the M3. And they've gotten used to it lol.

They need to get it out of heir heads now that carriers subsidies are vanishing.

 Passport/SQW100-3  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    07-28-16 01:07 PM
    Problem is that leasing and financing plus contracts that these carriers have offered over the years has made consumers with Accord $ be able to get the M3. And they've gotten used to it lol.

They need to get it out of heir heads now that carriers subsidies are vanishing.

 Passport/SQW100-3  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    Good analysis. Very true.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 01:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    The problem is this is a Honda Civic priced as a Honda Accord. The $100 premium that BlackBerry has added is reasonable for the security features they have added. But if security was a selling point... BlackBerry wouldn't be where they are today. It's only the enterprise/goverment market that is looking at the security features. And based on recent sales... I'd say that only a portion of the .2% that has been buying BB10 will buy into BlackBerry's Android solution in the near term

As for the 95% of the rest of the Android market... doesn't matter what a person's budget is, they are going to buy the best phone for their money. If they want a great camera, that's what they will focus on. If they want as powerful a process as they can get for $300 that's what they'll focus on. Other it might be battery life, waterproofing, large display.... or even some security.

Kinda why Android Central was a little dismissive of the DTECK50... from their non-security point of view, it's not all that impressive of a phone for the money. But you take the same phone, drop the price $100 and add a VR headset and suddenly its a little more exciting of a phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-28-16 01:45 PM
    Half the time the comments here are 'F Android' 'Android sucks' 'Nope, doesn't run BB10 it can die in a fire', so really, a few extra days and more time with the device than two hours before presenting a hands-on or review is not going to kill anyone anyway.
    It's been longer than 2 hours. "F Android... it can die in a fire."

I am dying now.
    07-28-16 02:06 PM
    The problem is this is a Honda Civic priced as a Honda Accord. The $100 premium that BlackBerry has added is reasonable for the security features they have added. But if security was a selling point... BlackBerry wouldn't be where they are today. It's only the enterprise/goverment market that is looking at the security features. And based on recent sales... I'd say that only a portion of the .2% that has been buying BB10 will buy into BlackBerry's Android solution in the near term

As for the 95% of the rest of the Android market... doesn't matter what a person's budget is, they are going to buy the best phone for their money. If they want a great camera, that's what they will focus on. If they want as powerful a process as they can get for $300 that's what they'll focus on. Other it might be battery life, waterproofing, large display.... or even some security.

Kinda why Android Central was a little dismissive of the DTECK50... from their non-security point of view, it's not all that impressive of a phone for the money. But you take the same phone, drop the price $100 and add a VR headset and suddenly its a little more exciting of a phone.
    I agree. But Blackberry's strategy is the correct one. If there is not a profitable market for more secure Android phones at a modest premium, BlackBerry should, and almost certainly will, exit the Android hardware business. If Android phones are pure commodities, the only way to make a profit will be to sell high volumes of phones with a very low markup per phone. That's not a viable strategy for any smaller player to make money.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 02:13 PM
    I agree. But Blackberry's strategy is the correct one. If there is not a profitable market for more secure Android phones at a modest premium, BlackBerry should, and almost certainly will, exit the Android hardware business. If Android phones are pure commodities, the only way to make a profit will be to sell high volumes of phones with a very low markup per phone. That's not a viable strategy for any smaller player to make money.

Posted via CB10
    Do agree.. Chen is playing the cards he was dealt the best he can, and very conservatively. If the PRIV, DTEK50 and others are able to capture enough sales then he will keep hardware going to some degree or another. With these off the shelf phones I bet he break even number is even lower than the 3 million he once mentioned.

Drop the custom designed and built PKB phone from the line up and he might even make money or break even with only 1.5 Million.

His biggest problem is time.. those enterprise customers take a long time to implement changes. And some might not be ready until BB10 is a thing of the past...
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 07-28-16 at 02:47 PM.
    07-28-16 02:24 PM
    Where can one get the idol 4 at $199?

The problem is this is a Honda Civic priced as a Honda Accord. The $100 premium that BlackBerry has added...
    07-28-16 02:52 PM
    Where can one get the idol 4 at $199?

Well since this is an Android Central thread....
    Cricket will sell the Alcatel Idol 4 on Aug. 5 for $200 with free VR goggles | Android Central
    Laura Knotek and jimmyt1 like this.
    07-28-16 03:07 PM
    The extra $99 you know very well is for all the security and BlackBerry Productivity Suite of apps.
    We already know you put little value into security of phones.

Since 6P is your phone of choice

Nexus 6P specs versus DTEK50
    -The Nexus 6P camera is no better than DTEK50. 12.3/8mp versus 13/8mp
    -No SD card option on Nexus. 256gb is available now as extra storage on DTEK50
    -32/64/128GB then on to cloud for 6P users. DTEK50 has 16GB internal, up to 2T (256gb presently) for storage that can be encrypted internally. So let's add that up shall we?
    - Bigger screen on Nexus 5.7 versus 5.2 thus the need for bigger battery on Nexus 6P. Both have quick charge 2.0
    - Nexus has 810 snap processor, DTEK50 has the 617. Debatable on this one.
    - 3GB of ram in both 6P and DTEK50
    - Nexus has finger print sensor, thank God DTEK50 does not.
    - OS, both use 6.01 MM
    - Nexus has zero extra security and can be rooted. DTEK50 has a lot of security and can't be rooted.
    -All this for less than half the price of 6P

So when in your above post you say DTEK50 is average and overpriced, it actually makes the 6P sound overpriced. No?

Going from PRIV > DTEK50 > Argon?
    07-28-16 03:45 PM
    The extra $99 you know very well is for all the security and BlackBerry Productivity Suite of apps.

-32/64/128GB then on to cloud for 6P users. DTEK50 has 16GB internal, up to 2T (256gb presently) for storage that can be encrypted internally. So let's add that up shall we?
    - Bigger screen on Nexus 5.7 versus 5.2 thus the need for bigger battery on Nexus 6P. Both have quick charge 2.0
    - OS, both use 6.01 MM
    - Nexus has zero extra security and can be rooted. DTEK50 has a lot of security and can't be rooted.

So when in your above post you say it's average, it actually makes the 6P sound overpriced. No?

What's wrong with a finger print sensor?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 03:50 PM
    Another thread here dedicated to that in this DTEK50 forum. See: DTEK50 has no fingerprint sensor.

07-28-16 03:58 PM
    I can't say what I think about fingerprint sensors because it gets me in trouble. But they SUCK.

I'm beginning to wonder If Chen didn't have to release this phone and its follow ups, in part, to convince enterprise customers that BlackBerry isn't a dead letter and the Priv isn't a one off Android BlackBerry. Changing the kernel, apps, and back on an existing phone is probably the least expensive thing he could possible do, in that regard.

07-28-16 03:59 PM

-32/64/128GB then on to cloud fo 6P users. 16GB internal, up to 2T (256gb presently) on DTEK50 SD storage that can be encrypted internally
    - Bigger screen on Nexus 5.7 thus the need for bigger battery. Both have quick charge 2.0
    - OS, both use 6.01 MM

So when in your above post you say it's average, it actually makes the 6P sound overpriced. No?

No I'm pretty sure my phone of choice at this point would probably been an iPhone... While I like my Droid Turbo 2 and like some of what Android can do... I think Apple makes hardware and software that just is much more efficient together. And that developers seem to prefer iOS over Android as many of the apps are better on iOS.

Now if you want to compare the DTEK50 to the 6P go right ahead... but this is a $200 phone, it got there buy using cheaper materials. Like the screen is some dragontrail that's like GG2.5 compared to the GG4 on the 6P. Sorry but benchmarks show the difference in the 617 and the 810, and the camera... Android Central has not done a full review but I don't think they were overly impressed by the DTECKs on first glance.

And I've got news for you... think the market for rooted phones is much larger than the market for non-rootable phone. I have a Droid Turbo 2, and it being non-rootable is one of the reason many don't like it, and too be honest I've found it limiting also. Lot's of power users apps require root.

I'm not saying the DTEK50 is a bad phone... just that it isn't going to blow anyone away.
    07-28-16 04:00 PM
    No I'm pretty sure my phone of choice at this point would probably been an iPhone... While I like my Droid Turbo 2 and like some of what Android can do... I think Apple makes hardware and software that just is much more efficient together. And that developers seem to prefer iOS over Android as many of the apps are better on iOS.

Now if you want to compare the DTEK50 to the 6P go right ahead... but this is a $200 phone, it got there buy using cheaper materials. Like the screen is some dragontrail that's like GG2.5 compared to the GG4 on the 6P. Sorry but benchmarks show the difference in the 617 and the 810, and the camera... Android Central has not done a full review but I don't think they were overly impressed by the DTECKs on first glance.

And I've got news for you... think the market for rooted phones is much larger than the market for non-rootable phone. I have a Droid Turbo 2, and it being non-rootable is one of the reason many don't like it, and too be honest I've found it limiting also. Lot's of power users apps require root.

I'm not saying the DTEK50 is a bad phone... just that it isn't going to blow anyone away.
    The main issue with the DTEK50 running that low spec hardware is that it will have more performance issues with the added BlackBerry software. I'd like to see a comparison of the DTEK50 vs the Alcatel Idol 4.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-28-16 04:15 PM
    It may also get better battery life. If my Priv has less ppi or mhz and lasted a lot longer, I wouldn't mind.

When I disable Gmail, Google calendar, etc and just use the hub,. I get much better battery life.

07-28-16 04:25 PM
    Reminder: discussion is fine; quoting rhetoric at members answering simple questions is not. Play nice or not at all.
    07-28-16 04:27 PM
    For $100 extra dollars you get a hardened kernel, an unrootable device, layered encryption, MONTHLY security updates (who does that?) and the BlackBerry software suite. Well worth it.
    07-28-16 05:46 PM

- OS, both use 6.01 MM

So when in your above post you say DTEK50 is average and overpriced, it actually makes the 6P sound overpriced. No?

Lol lay off the cool aid . The 6p was one of the best phones released in the last 12 months . It is a much better phone than the blackberry idol 4 . Better camera , processor, screen , battery, guaranteed android n update while you will be waiting 6-9 months for a android n update from blackberry. I actually don't hate what blackberry is doing with the dtek50 , but you fanboys comparing a rebranded low end phone with one of the best nexus phones ever is crazy.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-28-16 06:06 PM

Funny, I dumped my iPhone 6 for the PRIV so different needs I guess but mainly because of productivity. IPhone (iOs)was just terrible for VKB, integration of docs, email, calendar plus I like apps , music, entertainment etc in one spot.. Can't stand an OS that is closed as well. I like to customize. BlackBerry tried that once having closed software. So did Beta Video As for developers, that used to be the case but Android apl hav caught up since 80% of the world users Android. As for Power apps? What app could a business / government user need that needs to be rooted? Or would allow to be rooted?
    The DTEK50 is great value for the average business and government user and actually consumers.

*The question to ask everyone I guess would be; Beside fingerprint scan what can a iPhone 6s or Samsung S7 do that a PRIV or DTEK50 can't?

Last edited by Pinot2015; 07-28-16 at 07:49 PM.
    07-28-16 06:08 PM
    Just read the article.

The verge wrote that the dtek50 was a smoother experience than the moto g4, with a better camera.

This noon reviewer didn't even use the phone yet and already starts saying the processor is going to be slow.

The idol 4s had been praised, as was other asinine looking phones from China like the ZTE axon 7 loll somehow the dtek50 which looks like the 4s but with a nicer back, is cheap...ok buddy.

Biggest joke of a review I've read.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    jimmyt1 likes this.
    07-28-16 07:34 PM
    The question to ask everyone I guess would be; Beside fingerprint scan what can a iPhone 6s or Samsung S7 do that a PRIV or DTEK50 can't?
    Perform! & I'm pretty sure the DTEK50 camera is going to look like crap compared to the S7 & the iPhone 6s's cameras, in fact I'm positive plus the other said devices are premium & doesn't look cheap. It's like comparing a BMW to a Corolla LOL

Edit: BTW, I have the Priv, the Nexus 6p, the S6 & S7 Edge and while I'm not knocking the Priv camera and in fact, the best camera BB has ever put into a phone, it's simply slower starting up & a lot slower focusing especially at close range (like trying to take a picture of something on a piece of paper) than the others.
    07-28-16 09:47 PM
97 1234