Thanks everyone.

I have recently retired and now on a decreased budget, so anything BlackBerry above the 50 is not an option for me at present.

My usage is relatively light, especially since retiring. 10 to 12 emails a day, checking CB often, news, weather and Facebook. I'm not a gamer so no worries there.

Perhaps I would be better to look at the Moto G range but would prefer to stay with BlackBerry if at all viable.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    I bought one for my dad who is retired. He's on it quite a bit using BBM, whatsapp, Facebook, sms, emails, calls. He takes it off the charger around 9am and says he still has 40% Battery left at night around 12-1am. He told me he's never had to charge it during the day and that the battery life has been fantastic.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-22-17 08:23 AM
    Sorry to be so negative, but I'm also concerned about the weight of the DTEK50. It only weighs in at 135 gm whereas my Z30 is 170 gm and I do like a phone with a weighty solid feel to it. I'm concerned that the 50 will feel like it's arrived in a Christmas cracker.

The BlackBerry hard shell case solved that for me. Added weight, thickness, and grip, and it doesn't look like it has a case on. Got it for US$15
    falbo likes this.
    01-22-17 09:02 AM
    Thinking he's high , as I've said that the wife has hers and she a moderate user and she starts her day about 530 am and geta home 5 pm and she easily has 40-30 % left . She can say with out a doubt she misses nothing about her Z30 and is very much in luv with her 50 . I'm jealous lol
    01-22-17 12:13 PM
    Sorry to be so negative, but I'm also concerned about the weight of the DTEK50. It only weighs in at 135 gm whereas my Z30 is 170 gm and I do like a phone with a weighty solid feel to it. I'm concerned that the 50 will feel like it's arrived in a Christmas cracker.

I can see where you are coming from but ......apparently weight in a product can be a marketing ploy designed to deceive. Spirit drinks can sometimes be served in heavy glasses to fool the drinker into thinking that they are drinking a quality product. Similarly, some TV remote controls can be given additional weight to give the supposed feel of a content and confidence. When the reality is that there is little actual difference between the heavier supposed quality product and the competition.
    01-22-17 01:34 PM
    What does concern me as a BB user is the lag in updates. I am currently using a Z10 looking to move on in the next couple of months. The 10.3.3 update has been available to some for a while now but still no sign of it in the UK. It would seem that updates for the dtek50 are also 1-2 months behind. Given that BB sell themselves as producers and suppliers of the most secure phones in the world, this does not enhance their reputation. Nor does it bode well for the future. Especially now that BB are using the android platform.
    01-22-17 01:42 PM
    What does concern me as a BB user is the lag in updates. I am currently using a Z10 looking to move on in the next couple of months. The 10.3.3 update has been available to some for a while now but still no sign of it in the UK. It would seem that updates for the dtek50 are also 1-2 months behind. Given that BB sell themselves as producers and suppliers of the most secure phones in the world, this does not enhance their reputation. Nor does it bode well for the future. Especially now that BB are using the android platform.
    Yep, I agree. Yet another issue to contend with. I'm slowly losing the faith here.

01-22-17 04:58 PM
    FWIW the January security update was less than two weeks behind.
    01-22-17 06:01 PM

Just use a case.
    01-22-17 09:33 PM
    Just use a case.
    That's what I have done,adds weight and protects the phone. Got the blackberry flip case of amazon and more than happy with phone and definitely not worried about battery life. Also added a 64 gb sd card as internal.
    01-23-17 01:23 AM
    Yep, I agree. Yet another issue to contend with. I'm slowly losing the faith here.

Actually, if there are more cons than pros in your review, it's a no-brainer really, just get another brand with better batt life, and even lower price. There are a lot of those.
    Either way, just manage your expectations, cos OS 10 is just dead man walking, so the closest thing you got to that, with your price range, is a new or used 50.
    01-23-17 06:21 AM
    Either way, just manage your expectations, cos OS 10 is just dead man walking, so the closest thing you got to that, with your price range, is a new or used 50.
    I am well aware of the demise of BB10, which is why I am looking at the 50.

I did state earlier that my ceiling is £300. And yes, there are many offerings in this price range, but having been with BlackBerry for 9 years I really would like to remain with them.

I'm also looking at the Vodafone Smart 7 Premium which is a re-badged Idol 4S. This has better specs than the 50 and is £295, which is still just within my budget.

As I said before, I really would like to stay with BlackBerry, which is why your getting all these questions. After all its not like I can walk into anywhere to try a 50 out for myself.

I do appreciate all your comments.

planetbollox likes this.
    01-23-17 08:43 AM
    I am well aware of the demise of BB10, which is why I am looking at the 50.

I did state earlier that my ceiling is £300. And yes, there are many offerings in this price range, but having been with BlackBerry for 9 years I really would like to remain with them.

I'm also looking at the Vodafone Smart 7 Premium which is a re-badged Idol 4S. This has better specs than the 50 and is £295, which is still just within my budget.

As I said before, I really would like to stay with BlackBerry, which is why your getting all these questions. After all its not like I can walk into anywhere to try a 50 out for myself.

I do appreciate all your comments.

what are the specs for the Vodafone? lots of bloat? do u mean the platinum 7? that look ok not a huge upgrade in specs but better in some ways.
    01-23-17 08:49 AM
    Yes Mike, the Platinum 7 is actually an Idol 4S.

32 gig, 3 gb ram, 5.5 inch Lcd, fingerprint scanner, 155 grams.

In fact, it's a Dtek60 with slower processor (652) and a lower speced camera.

There's not much bloat ware and what there is can easily be removed. Unfortunately, it is locked to Vodafone but I happen to be a Voda customer anyway.

01-23-17 09:19 AM
    I just want to chime in here to say that after the December security update (+whatever else) which I received about 2 weeks ago I now can go 1.5 days between charges on my 50 on medium usage. That's right..no airplane mode, no turning off anything, and no standby! I don't know what BlackBerry did but my battery is considerably better now than before. Almost at the point of being shocked.
    01-23-17 09:49 AM
    ^^^

If the DTEK50 launched like that, with 1.5 days of battery with normal usage and zero-day patches, i'd have kept mine. It's a huge shame that the poor battery life on launch and poor updates despite promises of zero-day patching became an issue. I hope they don't screw up the Mercury release.
    01-23-17 10:02 AM
    I just want to chime in here to say that after the December security update (+whatever else) which I received about 2 weeks ago I now can go 1.5 days between charges on my 50 on medium usage. That's right..no airplane mode, no turning off anything, and no standby! I don't know what BlackBerry did but my battery is considerably better now than before. Almost at the point of being shocked.
    I hear you Johnny, but I don't understand how a security update can improve battery life. Is the update a complete OS load or just a patch?

01-23-17 10:32 AM
    I hear you Johnny, but I don't understand how a security update can improve battery life. Is the update a complete OS load or just a patch?

The updates are usually more than just security. Security + fixes/OS improvements.
    01-23-17 10:52 AM
    The updates are usually more than just security. Security + fixes/OS improvements.
    OK, understand.

01-23-17 11:28 AM
    OK, understand.

Thanks JD, you have made some valuable and informative comments on this thread. Every time I am starting to drift away from BB, you make a compelling argument to stay with BB. But tell me, do you think that there is a realistic prospect that we will keep getting the necessary updates or will they dry up like BB10 updates have? Don't worry, I won't hold you responsible if they do, just interested to hear your gut feeling, that's all. If there are any BB developers reading, please feel free to offer an opinion.
    01-23-17 02:04 PM
    Thanks JD, you have made some valuable and informative comments on this thread. Every time I am starting to drift away from BB, you make a compelling argument to stay with BB. But tell me, do you think that there is a realistic prospect that we will keep getting the necessary updates or will they dry up like BB10 updates have? Don't worry, I won't hold you responsible if they do, just interested to hear your gut feeling, that's all. If there are any BB developers reading, please feel free to offer an opinion.
    IMO BlackBerry is ALL IN, 100%, kitchen sink, with Android in the mobile space. Android is BlackBerry's future. The Android updates may be late but they won't dry up. BlackBerry 10 is in pure maintenance mode now...they could be doing something more to it for the regulated industries, who knows, but it's nothing more nothing less atm . The sooner people switch to Berry Droid the better. I have and although I still think BB10 is the superior OS I haven't looked back. My hope for the future is that BlackBerry can proliferate QNX/BB10 through industries like autos, health care, transportation, enterprise etc, etc, etc to the point where it can become a viable 3rd OS / ECOSYSTEM with increased development that can make BlackBerry some real $$$. This is a long way away. Although I do have a love / hate relationship with BlackBerry at times like a lot of the community does, I am still very much bullish on BlackBerry! The world needs BlackBerry now, they just don't realize it yet. The sky's the limit!
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-23-17 03:25 PM
    Good man! Thanks for another comprehensive and informative post

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 04:12 PM
    I hear you Johnny but when you say people need Blackberry - i'm going to counter that to balance it out. WHY do they? Because they promised zero-day patching? They failed to do that with the DTEK50. That alone sends out a terrible signal to potential customers. Some people have defended Blackberry and said: "Oh it's only 2 weeks late". Only two weeks late?!

For Blackberry to succeed, they need to listen to what the customer wants and do it - without any form of failure whatsoever. They can't afford to fail financially or through lack of popularity. Blackberry should not make any promises they aren't 100% sure they can keep. Even if they're 99.9% sure, they shouldn't make that promise.

I am also going to politely disagree with your suggestion that they should create some kind of ecosystem. No, that's a very, very bad idea. Apple have an ecosystem. Android has an ecosystem (google). There is absolutely no need to spend money developing a new ecosystem at this time. You will not beat Apple or Google. It's kind of like a white belt in Karate against a 7th Dan in Karate. By the time the white belt gets to 7th Dan, the 7th Dan has hit grandmaster.

The only thing Blackberry need to be doing is pushing out quality software with zero-day patching. Software with as few bugs as possible, which is reliable, secure and fast. I watched a youtube video yesterday with MrMobile using the priv (see below)

Now whether you're a Blackberry fanboy, or a Priv owner, or simply someone who is looking to buy the phone - it looks like a sheer disaster. The lag is absolutely terrible. And for Blackberry to say they're a software company. Really? Because the software/lag on that video is shocking. I've got a Moto G (1st edition) that runs better than that. Do you see my point?

It's all very well Blackberry claiming security or claiming to now be a "software" company, but if you miss your own security patches and your software lags on a phone that is only a year old, then you've got bigger issues at hand such as poor battery life (on Priv and we saw this on the DTEK too), sluggish software and the fact it's not on Nougat....come on Blackberry, you said you're a "software company".
    01-23-17 04:19 PM
    That Vodafone offering is looking more promising as these posts increase.

01-23-17 05:16 PM
73 123